I'm struggling, as an atheist, to turn off notifications...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Barry.

Someone (a mod) should eventually contact you once they see this post. But if you get tired of waiting, just find a thread that has one of their posts on it, and use that to start a private conversation with them. That should definitely get their attention.

God Bless,
Hidden

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Barry.

Someone (a mod) should eventually contact you once they see this post. But if you get tired of waiting, just find a thread that has one of their posts on it, and use that to start a private conversation with them. That should definitely get their attention.

God Bless,
Hidden
Thank you. :)

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Barry, I see that you are an "atheist". May I ask if this was your belief all your life, or did something change for you to believe that there is no God? thanks Andy
Well technically, it is not a belief, but a lack of belief. But yes, I have not believed all my life. We usually all adopt the outlook of the family and social surroundings in which we are brought up. I am no exception.

Upvote 0

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well technically, it is not a belief, but a lack of belief. But yes, I have not believed all my life. We usually all adopt the outlook of the family and social surroundings in which we are brought up. I am no exception.

Hi Barry, thanks for sharing and being honest. Does the fact that you are an atheist mean that you would also accept "evolution" as how this world came about? Since you do not believe in God, then you could not believe in the Creation Account of the Holy Bible?

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Barry, thanks for sharing and being honest. Does the fact that you are an atheist mean that you would also accept "evolution" as how this world came about? Since you do not believe in God, then you could not believe in the Creation Account of the Holy Bible?
Again, the word "belief" is tricky. People accept or conclude that evolution is true, based on the evidence. This applies to theists as well as atheists. I think that the only reason why some theists cannot accept evolutionary science is because it contradicts their chosen interpretation of scripture. Others see evolution as the way in which God created. Atheists, of course, are free to examine the evidence without any presupposition, which is why the vast majority accept evolution.

Upvote 0

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again, the word "belief" is tricky. People accept or conclude that evolution is true, based on the evidence. This applies to theists as well as atheists. I think that the only reason why some theists cannot accept evolutionary science is because it contradicts their chosen interpretation of scripture. Others see evolution as the way in which God created. Atheists, of course, are free to examine the evidence without any presupposition, which is why the vast majority accept evolution.

Thanks again. Christianity is a Faith (belief) in a Living Person, the Lord Jesus Christ, Who, according to the Holy Bible, as Almighty God, as are the Father and Holy Spirit, which is The Holy Trinity.

Evolution, in its form that the world began with "the big bang", causes problems, which cannot be resolved, from an evolutionary standpoint. I have yet to see any person who hold to "evolution" give a satisfactory answer to this very simple question. WHAT "banged"? Whether they be "atoms" or "molecules" or anything, WHERE did this come from? The very first "part" of this universe, must have come from somewhere? It is a complete fallacy for anyone who holds to "evolution", to say that "everything simply just happened"! NOTHING can just happen. We go back to WHAT BANGED to start this universe. I know there is NO real answer for this. I believe that this alone destroys this theory.

Reactions: ElsieBA
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Thanks again. Christianity is a Faith (belief) in a Living Person, the Lord Jesus Christ, Who, according to the Holy Bible, as Almighty God, as are the Father and Holy Spirit, which is The Holy Trinity.

Evolution, in its form that the world began with "the big bang", causes problems, which cannot be resolved, from an evolutionary standpoint. I have yet to see any person who hold to "evolution" give a satisfactory answer to this very simple question. WHAT "banged"? Whether they be "atoms" or "molecules" or anything, WHERE did this come from? The very first "part" of this universe, must have come from somewhere? It is a complete fallacy for anyone who holds to "evolution", to say that "everything simply just happened"! NOTHING can just happen. We go back to WHAT BANGED to start this universe. I know there is NO real answer for this. I believe that this alone destroys this theory.
Can I chime in?

I don't see any problems with that.

"Evolution" (let's use this term, even if it's technically incorrect and better limited to the biological concept) describes the change in the outlook and composition of existing... let's call it "matter"... based on the previously existing conditions. Better knowledge of these existing conditions can result in a better understanding of these changes, but a lack of knowledge does not invalidate the basic concept.

So in contrast to theistic criticism of a non-theistic view of the origin of the universe, an atheist is not required to believe that "nothing exploded and formed the universe". (And let's ignore the problems with the philosophical concept of "nothing" for now.)

So the "atheistic" answer to your question of "what banged" is "something did. We don't know what. Based on the limits placed on observation, we may never know. But considering all that we know, this something was very very different from the things that we know and understand. So it is very unlikely that it was something like a "Living Person"... which is something very much based on the conditions of our current universe as we know and understand it."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can I chime in?

I don't see any problems with that.

"Evolution" (let's use this term, even if is technically incorrect and better limited to the biological concept) describes the change in the outlook and composition of existing... let's call it "matter"... based on the previously existing conditions. Better knowledge of these existing conditions can result in a better understanding of these changes, but a lack of knowledge does not invalidate the basic concept.

So in contrast to theistic criticism of a non-theistic view of the origin of the universe, an atheist is not required to believe that "nothing exploded and formed the universe". (And let's ignore the problems with the philosophical concept of "nothing" for now.)

So the "atheistic" answer to your question of "what banged" is "something did. We don't know what. Based on the limits placed on observation, we may never know. But considering all that we know, this something was very very different from the things that we know and understand. So it is very unlikely that it was something like a "Living Person"... which is something very much based on the conditions of our current universe as we know and understand it."

Welcome to this discussion...

Thanks for taking the time to share.

I see that you say, "something did, we don't know what". But, this still has the same problem that I mentioned, "what banged", or "how did it all begin"? There has to be a "starting point". The Holy Bible, which I firmly believe to be the Infallible, Inerrant Word of Almighty God to mankind, begins with the words, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (Genesis 1:1). The Personal Name of this Divine Being, is "Yahweh" (from "YHWH"), where the Hebrew defines it as "self-existing, eternal" (see Exodus 3:14-15). So, we have "God", Who is Himself "the Beginning", and "the Beginner" of the entire universe. "ALL things have been created by Him" (Colossians 1:15-16). No one created God, as He Himself is "uncreated", and "without beginning", and He is "self-existent".

While the evolutionist believes in "probabilities", a Creationist believes in "facts", that are based on the unshakable Word of Almighty God. I have no doubts in saying, that NEVER will the Holy Bible and ALL that it Teaches, be disproven or contradicted. People my rage against the Lord and His Word, and might try to challenge it and try to find fault with it, but, the Lord and His Word, the Holy Bible can indeed NEVER be done away with. The Bible and all it stands for is FAITH. Atheism is a denial of, and direct challenge to the God of the Holy Bible, and His Word in the Holy Bible, which is the Highest Authority that we have in this world. Opposition to God and His Word started in the garden of Eden, when the devil tempted Eve, he said to her "hath God said?", so as to call God a liar. This is exactly what Charles Darwin did, when he proposed his "theory" of how this world began, he actually said "hath God said"? He challenged "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth", and by doing so, did the work of the devil for him!

Upvote 0

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One would expect you to have at least basic knowledge about theories that you attempt to tackle.
Read a book, ok?

You make the statement that evolution is not about how the world came to be. If it is not this, then tell us what it is? I have never read of heard this before, and I am sure that 99.9% of those who believe in evolution, will be surprised by what you have said.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
You make the statement that evolution is not about how the world came to be. If it is not this, then tell us what it is? I have never read of heard this before, and I am sure that 99.9% of those who believe in evolution, will be surprised by what you have said.
You grossly underestimate the knowledge of people who have enjoyed an education outside sunday school. Here, let me google this for you:
Evolution - Wikipedia
First sentence:
Evolution is change in the heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.[1][2]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You grossly underestimate the knowledge of people who have enjoyed an education outside sunday school. Here, let me google this for you:
Evolution - Wikipedia
First sentence:
Evolution is change in the heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.[1][2]

Are you saying that those who hold to the theory of "evolution" do not believe that the world started with the "big bang theory"? What then do evolutionists believe in the start of all things?

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Welcome to this discussion...

Thanks for taking the time to share.

I see that you say, "something did, we don't know what". But, this still has the same problem that I mentioned, "what banged", or "how did it all begin"? There has to be a "starting point". The Holy Bible, which I firmly believe to be the Infallible, Inerrant Word of Almighty God to mankind, begins with the words, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (Genesis 1:1). The Personal Name of this Divine Being, is "Yahweh" (from "YHWH"), where the Hebrew defines it as "self-existing, eternal" (see Exodus 3:14-15). So, we have "God", Who is Himself "the Beginning", and "the Beginner" of the entire universe. "ALL things have been created by Him" (Colossians 1:15-16). No one created God, as He Himself is "uncreated", and "without beginning", and He is "self-existent".

While the evolutionist believes in "probabilities", a Creationist believes in "facts", that are based on the unshakable Word of Almighty God. I have no doubts in saying, that NEVER will the Holy Bible and ALL that it Teaches, be disproven or contradicted. People my rage against the Lord and His Word, and might try to challenge it and try to find fault with it, but, the Lord and His Word, the Holy Bible can indeed NEVER be done away with. The Bible and all it stands for is FAITH. Atheism is a denial of, and direct challenge to the God of the Holy Bible, and His Word in the Holy Bible, which is the Highest Authority that we have in this world. Opposition to God and His Word started in the garden of Eden, when the devil tempted Eve, he said to her "hath God said?", so as to call God a liar. This is exactly what Charles Darwin did, when he proposed his "theory" of how this world began, he actually said "hath God said"? He challenged "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth", and by doing so, did the work of the devil for him!
Oy vey!

I apologize if that may sound a little harsh now, but just recently, my conversations with Christians have reached a new low and confirmed my notions that so many of you just don't listen to what other people say. The questions you (general plural) ask are just insincere and only serve as a starting point for a sermon.

I am always willing to give you the benefit of doubt, and answer your questions as sincere as I can, and expand on them or explain if there are misunderstanding.
But conversation is a two-way road. You have to be willing to engage one on the same level, not simply ignore anything your opposite says and declare your version to be true.

Well, I would have been willing to go even through this... but when you, as someone who believes in "facts", can make statements like "Charles Darwin [...], when he proposed his "theory" of how this world began", you demonstrate that you don't have the slightest clue of what you are talking about... and this ignorance devalues all the bold statements that you might make.

Sorry again for the harsh words, but there is no sweet way of saying it: go read a book other than the bible. You might learn something.

Upvote 0

Alpha-Omega

Mar 29, 2017
England
✟2,283.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oy vey!

I apologize if that may sound a little harsh now, but just recently, my conversations with Christians have reached a new low and confirmed my notions that so many of you just don't listen to what other people say. The questions you (general plural) ask are just insincere and only serve as a starting point for a sermon.

I am always willing to give you the benefit of doubt, and answer your questions as sincere as I can, and expand on them or explain if there are misunderstanding.
But conversation is a two-way road. You have to be willing to engage one on the same level, not simply ignore anything your opposite says and declare your version to be true.

Well, I would have been willing to go even through this... but when you, as someone who believes in "facts", can make statements like "Charles Darwin [...], when he proposed his "theory" of how this world began", you demonstrate that you don't have the slightest clue of what you are talking about... and this ignorance devalues all the bold statements that you might make.

Sorry again for the harsh words, but there is no sweet way of saying it: go read a book other than the bible. You might learn something.

Not a problem. I am not offended. You see, it is conviction that God the Holy Spirit gives to believers like myself, that determine how we think and what we write. It is nothing short of an affront to Almighty God, that people like Darwin, Hawkins, Dawkins, etc, teach, what they do. They dare accuse The Almighty of what He has said in His Most Holy and Infallible Word, of being untrue. I make no apology for what I believe and will never decry the beliefs of others, as I too was once in darkness, before the Light of Jesus Christ shone in my heart. My faith is most certainly not a blind one, and I am genuinely willing to listen to what others say, without trying to be "superior" to them, which I have no intentions of doing. Darwinism is nothing more then a "theory", and will always be just that. Because the opposite of that is The Word of Almighty God. Both cannot be right, and there can be no doubt that Mr Darwin is in error.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that those who hold to the theory of "evolution" do not believe that the world started with the "big bang theory"? What then do evolutionists believe in the start of all things?
"Evolutionist" means someone who believes that evolution is true. As I said before, people accept or conclude evolution on the basis of the evidence. There are very few people who "believe" it in the sense of accepting it on faith, so there are very few "evolutionists".

Please allow scientists to define the concepts they use, and that they have generated, and not impose your distortions. "Evolution" normally mans the process by which living things change in form over generations. The Big Bang is a theory of cosmology. (A theory proposed by Georges Lemaître, a Catholic priest and astronomer.) They are different subjects. I have no idea what "evolutionists" believe about the start of all things. What is evident is that species change over time, and what is also evident is that if we wind the clock back far enough, we must get to an extremely hot, dense universe, which then expanded. How this happened, I haven't a clue, but it did. Maybe you should ask the world's leading theoreticians.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2015
✟7,902.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not a problem. I am not offended. You see, it is conviction that God the Holy Spirit gives to believers like myself, that determine how we think and what we write. It is nothing short of an affront to Almighty God, that people like Darwin, Hawkins, Dawkins, etc, teach, what they do. They dare accuse The Almighty of what He has said in His Most Holy and Infallible Word, of being untrue. I make no apology for what I believe and will never decry the beliefs of others, as I too was once in darkness, before the Light of Jesus Christ shone in my heart. My faith is most certainly not a blind one, and I am genuinely willing to listen to what others say, without trying to be "superior" to them, which I have no intentions of doing. Darwinism is nothing more then a "theory", and will always be just that. Because the opposite of that is The Word of Almighty God. Both cannot be right, and there can be no doubt that Mr Darwin is in error.
"it is conviction that God the Holy Spirit gives to believers like myself, that determine how we think and what we write." And therein lies the problem. What if you are wrong? There's no way out of your error then, is there? You are stuck. No way back to start again and take an objective, non-presuppositional approach.

No atheist accuses the Almighty of anything. It would not make sense. Atheists don't believe in deities.

Darwinism is not the prevailing theory of evolution. He died a long time ago, and the science has moved on enormously. And it is a scientific theory, not, "nothing more than a theory". Other scientific theories are the theory of gravity. Germ theory. Atomic theory. "Scientific theory" denotes one of the highest, most secure forms of scientific knowledge. (BTW, if you want proof positive of common descent, goto my FAQ @ Veritas: Endogenous Retroviruses - Frequently Asked Questions )

Re. conviction again, it is all well and good, but it gives no guarantee of being correct, no matter how strongly you feel it. People throughout history have been totally convinced of various, often incompatible things. Many have been demonstrated to be mistaken.

Reactions: Freodin
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.