catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello fellow Christians, I have a Cross that was passed over to me as a gift and I have been wearing it. It has really helped stop the bullying but members of my Church tell me that it is wrong to wear it since they believe I am committing Idolatry. They tell me satan is using these people to draw me away from God, and that I must keep strong and not let them have any effects on me.

John 15:18 "If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first."

I also have forgot to switch my denomination, since I am non-denominational now. In Eastern Orthodox however I was told it is ok to wear the Cross. As long as I do not use it as an Idol of worship, and do not let the Cross define me as a Christian but rather my commitment to Gods commands, while also following the Bible. It is just tough for me not to wear it since I'm being bullied so badly is hard for me to endure.

To respond to the following advice, I will make an attempt to report these situation to the dean of students. I have just had a sense that since this is college that I have to handle my problems on my own and that there was no one there for me in the past.

When it comes to commuting, I think it may be a viable option since my home is around an hour or so away. I can study while on the train, so my time is being used wisely.

Thank you for all your responses, and advice. God Bless you.
Sorry for the run-on sentences.

A cross is not an idol, or not usually. An 'idol' is just anything people make more important in their hearts than the Father, Son and Spirit.

But what you said earlier above about a person in the church is concerning: "...already lost a friend since he believes if one is experiencing bullying then they deserve it. I can partially understand where he is coming from but that isn't true 100% of the time, sometimes the one receiving the bullying is the victim." <-- This person isn't yet following Christ well, and so it's possible he might not even believe in his heart. Those actually believing in Christ will be like this:
"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
If someone doesn't act loving towards you, you can't know they are His. What are they following? They may be following men or some other ideas -- actual 'idols' (things not of God). So that's concerning by itself if more than only a few in a church acted that way. A very few might in a church, because a church will usually have both strong believers and weak believers and non believers. But if many in a church are not loving, flee it and find a church where most are loving to you and one another, so you can know you are in a church that follows Christ. Preaching should be mostly from the New Testament, very often from the 4 gospels, and the people should be loving. For yourself also, you can have better days in many ways by praying the Lord's Prayer in Matthew chapter 6 with belief.
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6:5-15 - New International Version
More than one of us will pray for you, and I want you to learn this prayer Christ said to you to pray also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I am currently in college and dorming. I was bullied the very first day for how I look physically, it is my genetics I have no control over how my facial shape is unless I get plastic surgery which I won't do. Other things that happened was being called a future school shooter, or terrorist because I am partially middle eastern. I have no control over my ethnicity or racial build up either. I know all of this sounds ironic and ridiculous in a college setting, but this is real and it can happen to anyone although yes I would agree it wouldn't be too common in a college environment maybe I am just unlucky this time.

I just ignored the bullies and moved on, I try to become the bigger man. But that didn't work and bullying has just gotten worse. I believe that there are false terrible rumors circulating about me behind my back, I have lost potential friends. Those who were friendly with me before, all of a sudden have such hatred towards me and will stare me down whenever they can. Out of disappointment I decided it is not worth to regain their friendship if they are that narrow minded about someone. Right now the bullying has reached a point where I cannot tolerate this at all anymore. Random people who I do not know tell me to kill myself, I get called sub-human scum, and sometimes people physically shove me whenever they see me. I am trying to figure out what it is that is making people do this, I cannot sleep at night and I'm having nightmares from these events.

Although I have joined a Church near my school, and found a couple friends it does help bring back my self confidence. I don't know how to explain to them my situation as I have already lost a friend since he believes if one is experiencing bullying then they deserve it. I can partially understand where he is coming from but that isn't true 100% of the time, sometimes the one receiving the bullying is the victim.

All I want is for this hatred to stop, when there are people wanting me dead and to attack me this is too much for me to handle.

On another note the bullying I am experiencing is strictly happening on housing, I have rarely experienced bullying in my classes.
o wow

so sorry about this serious situation

praying for your protection vindication and healing from the trauma

this is not at all your fault

there is nothing you did to deserve this and you are acting admirally in the face of such unfair concentrated hatred

what can you do about this?

i'm not sure - so i'm praying for you and will get other prayer groups i am a part of to pray for you

actually one thought that comes to mind is to try to communicate with people one on one and ask them "why do you say that? - you don't even know me - what would cause you to say something like this to me?"

praying for your deleiverance and vindication from this hateful treatment

another thought is reporting this to the housing/rental authority or even human rights to see what they can do

God Bless you my dear friend

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Hello fellow Christians, I have a Cross that was passed over to me as a gift and I have been wearing it. It has really helped stop the bullying but members of my Church tell me that it is wrong to wear it since they believe I am committing Idolatry. They tell me satan is using these people to draw me away from God, and that I must keep strong and not let them have any effects on me.

John 15:18 "If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first."

I also have forgot to switch my denomination, since I am non-denominational now. In Eastern Orthodox however I was told it is ok to wear the Cross. As long as I do not use it as an Idol of worship, and do not let the Cross define me as a Christian but rather my commitment to Gods commands, while also following the Bible. It is just tough for me not to wear it since I'm being bullied so badly is hard for me to endure.

To respond to the following advice, I will make an attempt to report these situation to the dean of students. I have just had a sense that since this is college that I have to handle my problems on my own and that there was no one there for me in the past.

When it comes to commuting, I think it may be a viable option since my home is around an hour or so away. I can study while on the train, so my time is being used wisely.

Thank you for all your responses, and advice. God Bless you.
Sorry for the run-on sentences.
wow praise God for this good news

it's not idolatry to wear a cross

you are doing such a good job of trying to do the right thing

do what works

if some of your christian friends don't understand that's ok

they aren't the ones living in a dangerous situation - you are - so you need to do what works to keep yourself safe

God Bless you my friend

praying for you

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am currently in college and dorming. I was bullied the very first day for how I look physically, it is my genetics I have no control over how my facial shape is unless I get plastic surgery which I won't do. Other things that happened was being called a future school shooter, or terrorist because I am partially middle eastern. I have no control over my ethnicity or racial build up either. I know all of this sounds ironic and ridiculous in a college setting, but this is real and it can happen to anyone although yes I would agree it wouldn't be too common in a college environment maybe I am just unlucky this time.

I just ignored the bullies and moved on, I try to become the bigger man. But that didn't work and bullying has just gotten worse. I believe that there are false terrible rumors circulating about me behind my back, I have lost potential friends. Those who were friendly with me before, all of a sudden have such hatred towards me and will stare me down whenever they can. Out of disappointment I decided it is not worth to regain their friendship if they are that narrow minded about someone. Right now the bullying has reached a point where I cannot tolerate this at all anymore. Random people who I do not know tell me to kill myself, I get called sub-human scum, and sometimes people physically shove me whenever they see me. I am trying to figure out what it is that is making people do this, I cannot sleep at night and I'm having nightmares from these events.

Although I have joined a Church near my school, and found a couple friends it does help bring back my self confidence. I don't know how to explain to them my situation as I have already lost a friend since he believes if one is experiencing bullying then they deserve it. I can partially understand where he is coming from but that isn't true 100% of the time, sometimes the one receiving the bullying is the victim.

All I want is for this hatred to stop, when there are people wanting me dead and to attack me this is too much for me to handle.

On another note the bullying I am experiencing is strictly happening on housing, I have rarely experienced bullying in my classes.

Sorry to hear that. perhaps there is some authority you can consult. Perhaps that will aid your situation, it sounds more like hatred than bullying. God Bless.

• Haha
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

So sorry to hear, growing up in public school(s), especially from 6-9th grades, the bullies I had to deal with, made my life a living hell. It's not right, it's not cool, it's a sad display of human nature. I wish there were an easy answer an easy solution, but none really come to mind. I am quite certain, especially in my 20's, that I would have simply dropped out of college. Escaping and running away from a problem is sometimes the only sane way out. I am aware of comments that would follow, but I have walked a mile in the shoes of a person who had to face his bullies day in and day out continually dealing with their blind completely unnecessary hatred without cause or sufficient reason. You're in my thoughts friend.

Upvote 0

Purity Clarity Parkes

Jun 4, 2017
Melbourne
✟15,369.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Remember, for all problems, the solution comes from prayer and asking oneself,”What would Jesus do?”.
I personally went through a similar stage in Grade 8, where most people thought that I was a terrorist just because my name was ‘hard to pronounce’. The only way I ‘got around it’ was by praying, and being as king as I could to everyone.

For you it may be different, considering you are in a college setting, but God will walk you through. If you every needed a friend, you have one in myself and Jesus.

Do not underestimate the Power of God that can shine through a smile. Try smiling/thinking of God every time you are bullied. I would also recommend openly declaring your Faith.

I will pray for you daily.
Yours Sincerely
~Purity Clarity Parkes.

Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

KrispinWatson

Nov 30, 2017
Hoover
✟8,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

“The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still” - Exodus 14:14

Unfortunately, we cannot control the ignorance of those that choose to bully. All we can do is pray and have faith. God will fight your battles for you. You are strong and you are able to withstand this. Whatever you do, do not stoop to their level. God will be with you and I will be praying for you!

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
In USA, Middle-Eastern Muslim terrorists are much hated. By association, Sikhs and yourself too.
... So, publicly, you need to let others know that you are not a Middle Eastern Muslim but an Eastern Orthodox Christian, eg wear a Christian T-shirt, Cross necklace, carry a large Bible, etc.
Exactly what I was thinking. You can find male bracelets online with crosses, for example but a big bold cross on a chain or leather strap might be the most noticeable.

I also strongly agree with the person that says such things should be reported.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I pray you have peace and protection.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Oh, I see above that you don't want to wear a cross. Well there re T shirts with Bible verses on them. If those are a little pricey for you right now, maybe you can make some of your own with the help of some fabric friendly colored pens and an artistic type in a nearby Church.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Isn't their someone in charge to talk to, I don't know what else to tell you.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
One last thought - though I still think the bullies need to be reported: I would say something to the bullies like, "Do you think I am a Muslim? Is that why you are treating me this way? I am a Christian and I hate and despise what people like those in Isis have been doing!"

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I know there are Arab Christians and Moslems. I cannot tell what a person is like by his/her appearance.

I did better with strangers when I was polite and gave out greetings when I could. They heard my greeting and gave me peace.

Once I had neighbors so bad, they gave me continuous threats instead of peace. I had to move. Some people can no longer talk to any of their neighbors. They stay inside and go out only when necessary, they speak to no one along the way.

When I was in college, the dorms were so noisy studious students retreated to libraries and other quiet areas to study, returning home to sleep late at night. There was some rowdy partying going on in some of the rooms, especially on the weekends.

Upvote 0

Greek2Me

Mar 26, 2017
Southern Ohio
✟18,548.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
he believes if one is experiencing bullying then they deserve it
Jesus Himself "experienced bullying" on a level we can't even IMAGINE, but I can't think anyone would seriously suggest that "He DESERVED it", can you? Bullying occurs because people lack compassion or love, and are seeking to fill something which is lacking in their own lives.

God loves you, me and even them. Period. Rest assured of that, and seek His strength and love to pass on to them. Be well...

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In USA, Middle-Eastern Muslim terrorists are much hated. By association, Sikhs and yourself too.
... So, publicly, you need to let others know that you are not a Middle Eastern Muslim but an Eastern Orthodox Christian, eg wear a Christian T-shirt, Cross necklace, carry a large Bible, etc.
This is really not a bad idea.

There are also T-shirt’s, baseball caps and sweatshirts. And I would buy and wear a cross. Make sure it is outside of your shirt not under it.

Let people see who you are.

I might also when talking with people actually say I can’t believe people are bullying me. I am a Christian. Counter act some of the negative

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lybrah

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
✟62,745.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I know this is a cop-out, but maybe try transferring to a new college, far away. Life is too short for this garbage. These people are not worth it.

Upvote 0

Kristen Davis

Dec 9, 2017
Alpharetta
✟11,497.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I am sorry you have to endure bullying but I think the best thing to do is to contact your school's supervisor and report this problem immediately! This is a severe problem that could affect your academic success and you need to have this problem dealt with immediately! Also remember the bible quote psalms 27:1 the lord is the light of my salvation of whom shalt I fear.

Upvote 0