I'm extremely afraid to die. What should I do?

vdani

May 12, 2020
miami
✟15,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The anxiety concerning death has crippled me to the point that I can't sleep at night and I'm depressed throughout the day. I've tried praying about it. I'm even in the middle of a fast in an attempt to get closer to God. But nothing is working and the fear/anxiety just wont go away.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The anxiety concerning death has crippled me to the point that I can't sleep at night and I'm depressed throughout the day. I've tried praying about it. I'm even in the middle of a fast in an attempt to get closer to God. But nothing is working and the fear/anxiety just wont go away.
What is your hope?

Reactions: longwait
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First, stop concerning yourself with those things that you are powerless to do anything about. Then trust in Jesus and the promises of God. If you are saved what is there to fear? You are going to go to sleep and then wake up far better off than you were in your old life. Psalm 23

Upvote 0

RN111

Site Supporter
May 11, 2020
Bethal
✟55,774.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keep praying. Everyone dies at some point. It's just a type of "transport" to the new life. Like riding a train to Heaven, in a way. Just have faith in Jesus Christ as your savior and read your Bible. Pray every day. What is there to fear after Death, when you are saved? Also, stop worrying about tomorrow. Every day God gives you a present, a new day. So enjoy it and trust in God. I also worried about Death the whole time because I felt that I was not saved (was living in sin, did not read the Bible, did not pray), until I found God and I decided that I wanted to stop living like that and prayed that I get the Holy Spirit in me. You have to look at what you fear about Death. Do you fear how you are gonna die? Do you fear where you are gonna go after you die? What is it that makes you fear about death?

• Winner
Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would describe your feelings to your Dr. I would not make drugs a lifestyle, but they can help you get over the hump and help God get you back to something that is more normal. This might seem crazy but at some point you might just accept your fate. If i am going to die, then so be it. I love the above response, that even if you die it is like taking a train to heaven. Now instead of fearing it, you accept it. What more can be done to you? You do not do anything that is harmful, you even can continue in the word and speak safety and healing to yourself. But if the thought starts to be overwhelming, then your acceptance will take away the crisis. Also, to be more practical, I would keep busy. Not so busy that you do not have time for God, but even if you are not employed right now, you can do stuff around the house, car, hobbies, etc. Try to fight back against the loop that wants to take you on this downer. Exercise too is a great idea.

I would also try some self-deliverance. Speak against the fear, quote scriptures that give you comfort and build a case against your fear from the word of God. Hopefully, you will have others around that can pray with you. Here is just one sermon too on how not to fear. I notice this pastor is addressing what many people are feeling with the word of God. https://knoxvillechristianctr.org/sermons/how-to-fear-not/

If you think your fear is COVID related, then be sure to do the things you know that are helpful in not being infected. God bless!

Upvote 0

Annner

Dec 28, 2012
✟24,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Theres absolutely nothing to fear. Jesus conquered death for you. Your body may sleep, but your spirit goes into the Lords GLORIOUS presence. Its like falling asleep, and waking up and seeing his glory. Someone who passed on said there was nothing like it. There was so much glory beaming from him, you could barely make out his features. And all you could feel was total peace, light, and love and acceptance like you have never felt before....pure love, with no condemnation or sorrow at all. There is absolutely NO FEAR, rather all GLORY. In fact, He was so lovely, and you felt so incredibly loved, you wouldn't want to come back to the earth.

John 11.25-26
Jesus said I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me SHALL NEVER DIE.
Believest thou this?

2 Corinthians 5.8
Paul said.....We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
(When you are absent from the body, you are present with the one who loves you, your Savior! There is nothing at all scary about that.)

Hebrews 2.14-15
Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
(Jesus destroyed the power of death for you, which is why Jesus said You will never die. Your body may sleep, but your spirit goes to be with the Lord. And at his second coming, your fleshly body will be transformed into a new glorious body thats eternal.)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

As Richard T Has said you need to talk to your doctor about your anxieties.. as they are preventing you from sleeping you need to do this urgently.

To get closer to God is not a feeling, but an experience.
An old puritan once said, if one want extra ordinary experiences of God. Enlarge your ordinary devotions.

In other words spend more time studying the Bible and praying.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've tried praying about it. I'm even in the middle of a fast in an attempt to get closer to God.

Then you are moving in the right direction. Add Bible reading and Bible study along with it. Also listen to good soothing christian worship music.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here is a song that I found recently that touched and moved me so much that I listen to it every day ever since I found it.

Upvote 0

grace4ever

Apr 29, 2018
Florida
✟12,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us. I am so sorry you are dealing with such a difficult situation. These forums are great sharing burdens, venting, and asking for advice. And I know from my experiences that sometimes we do not know how to handle suffering. It is neither good or bad, however if we embrace our suffering it can transform us and lead us closer to God. Suffering is a way to love Jesus and we can join our suffering to his cross and offer them for reparation of our sins, the conversion of sinners and in reparation for the sins of the whole world. Let me tell you my sister in Christ even in the darkest moments, there’s always hope. There’s something that I think is disturbing you and now you can take action to overcome that. Since God is pleased that you want to get closer to Him, there is a spiritual enemy that is attacking you to try to get you away from Him. In the Book Romans 8, 15 it says: For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received a spirit of adoption, through which we cry, Abba, Father“ So I encourage to take authority and say: Spirit of fear (it is important to name the spirit that you want to bind), I bind you and command you to leave me and I put you at the foot of the cross of Jesus. In Jesus Name, Amen. Have you thought of seeking Christian counseling or therapy to help you find ways to overcome what is causing the anxiety? Christian counseling works through things like this. You are valuable and worthy of fighting for. When it is time to go to bed, I encourage you to find something to read that take your mind off any concerns, worries, or problems. On the other hand, I encourage you to put your life in God’s hand, He is in control of everything and you need to be confident that He will not allow that nothing happen to you. Another way to calm your anxiety is praying Psalms, especially 91, Our Heavenly Father has beautiful promises to us. I’d like to share with you Psalm 91:

You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High,

who abide in the shade of the Almighty,

Say to the LORD, “My refuge and fortress,

my God in whom I trust.”

He will rescue you from the fowler’s snare,

from the destroying plague,

He will shelter you with his pinions,

and under his wings you may take refuge;

his faithfulness is a protecting shield.

You shall not fear the terror of the night

nor the arrow that flies by day,

Nor the pestilence that roams in darkness,

nor the plague that ravages at noon.

Though a thousand fall at your side,

ten thousand at your right hand,

near you it shall not come.

You need simply watch;

the punishment of the wicked you will see.

Because you have the LORD for your refuge

and have made the Most High your stronghold,

No evil shall befall you,

no affliction come near your tent.

For he commands his angels with regard to you,

to guard you wherever you go.

With their hands they shall support you,

lest you strike your foot against a stone.

You can tread upon the asp and the viper,

trample the lion and the dragon.

Because he clings to me I will deliver him;

because he knows my name I will set him on high.

He will call upon me and I will answer;

I will be with him in distress;

I will deliver him and give him honor.

With length of days I will satisfy him,

and fill him with my saving power.

Finally, in regards your insomnia I encourage you to call your physician to treat that condition. This list-ly is extremely important for you are going through: Looking Up From The Stubborn Darkness | A Listly List. Please let me tell you my friend that you are not alone in this battle. Sending you hugs and praying for you my sister in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0