Sydney
Visit site
✟19,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well... I'm back from my holidays...

I stayed at a lovely beach called Merry Beach, near Kioloa on NSW's south coast for the last two weeks.

I had a wonderful time, filled with not only gorgeous weather, but also some rainy days and an exceptionally hot day n new years day where it got somewhere between 47 and 51 degrees - according to the readings of different people's car thermometres.

The surf varied from flat, flat, and flat, to suddenly large swells as the yucky weather set in...

I had an interesting time with not one but TWO visits from the NRMA in the first 6 daysthis year! lol...

First time was when I went to pck up Kristian from Bomaderry (aka Nowra) train station. its an hour and a half drive north of where we were camped. So i drove the 30 minutes to ulladaulla and found my car had overheated. This was on the exceptionally hot new years day, so i attributed it to the weather. Howvere, it also did it twice more before i got to nowra. thus my 90minute journey became a 3 hour trek. so when i finally got there... 90 minutes LATE... I called the NRMA. When the guy got there he told me I'd more than likely cracked the head so it would have to be towed and i'd have to wait at least a week for my car! This freaked me out because I couldn't call my dad as where we were staying is out of range for mobile reception. And i needed his advice and if nothign else some way of getting back to our campsite. I chose to call the caravan park who then relayed a message for my dad to call me and he said he would come and have a look at my car. So Kristian and I then waited another hour and a half waiting for him to get there... and then slowly drove back to our tents, stopping every 5 kms to change the water...

We didnt arrive until 1 am...

Needless to say it was not the head that was the problem. It was my thermostat wasn't opening, so the engine was just boiling in uncirculated, uncooled water. So dad removed it for the remained of our trip. because you can drive without one.

then on friday i went to open the bonnet of my car to chek trhe water levels - with all the trouble with my radiator/thermostat better to make sure all is fine before driving it ;) but the cable snapped and i couldnt open it. so there comes visit number 2 for the year of nrma guy. he gave me a tempory solution so i was able to open the bonnet.

and praise God it made the 4 hour journey back home without any problems yesterday! :D

So now I am back home for the next six days... then I'm off to Vanuatu for two weeks...

KristianJ

What's in a name? Letters...
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney, Australia
✟35,788.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks, Aimz :) I was surprised at how much wildlife roamed free at Merry Beach...first the roos, then I noticed possums (missed taking a pic of one because I had my lens cap on :doh: ) and heaps of lorikeets, rosellas, etc. that woke me up on many a morning at...well, around 6am ^_^ I hadn't had a holiday away from my family for about 4 years before last week, so was a good opportunity to enjoy what was a relatively new experience of camping for a week and missing out on seeing cricket on TV - I ended up reading the newspaper each day for my daily fix and overhearing the radios of other campers wh were listening to it :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

thejesusfish90

lol... sounds like you had a very.... interesting holiday experience Loz!!... But I can imagine such an experience would be one which you would reminisce in your latter years and come to look upon very fondly--- its experiences like that which make our lives interesting and entertaining to tell others of.... :)... Would Merry Beach happen to be anywhere near Geroa? I had a squiz at the pictures (which btw Kristian were great!) and the scenery looks similar... the tame wildlife reminded me of Tasmania-- While staying at Cradle Mountain, the animals would rather tamely come out onto the road at night... Infact my dads shoes one morning were mysteriously missing, and were latter discovered 100 meters of the road in bush-- we presumed there was either a moderately insane person staying in the camp grounds, or more likely a devious little bush creature (ie a possum) took it during the night... Oh well heres to the experiences and situations we encounter on our adventures *raises glass*

YBIC

Chris

Upvote 0

lozzie

Just me...
Apr 7, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟19,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
its further south than geroa... its about halfway between Bateman's Bay and Ulladulla. :)

the "tame" kangaroos scare me though... 10 years ago (yes i've been going there that long) the kangaroos were terrified of people. but then some people are stupid and feed the kangaroos. which firstly isnt good for their stomachs cause most people feed them bread. and secondly it means they get to a point where they aren't scared of people anymore, and then become demanding of people for food and end up injuring people.

Upvote 0

KristianJ

What's in a name? Letters...
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney, Australia
✟35,788.00
Faith
Christian
lozzie said:
its further south than geroa... its about halfway between Bateman's Bay and Ulladulla. :)

the "tame" kangaroos scare me though... 10 years ago (yes i've been going there that long) the kangaroos were terrified of people. but then some people are stupid and feed the kangaroos. which firstly isnt good for their stomachs cause most people feed them bread. and secondly it means they get to a point where they aren't scared of people anymore, and then become demanding of people for food and end up injuring people.

Yeah - and when people have photos taken of themselves feeding them...it's just silly, especially when there are signs asking campers not to do it. Ah, well...the joeys are a bit more what you'd call scared, but such human interaction's inevitably going to domesticate them to a degree.

Also, I found that the number of kids/teenagers riding bikes and scooters without helmets was worrying. Sure, you're not going to see cars driving around the park at speed, but there are still enough variables to suggest that parents should be more vigilant in making their children remember the best way to be safe on their bikes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums