Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing harsh about the word interloper. It means one who interlopes, which they are doing. Being offended it is not reasonable.

What does "bastard" mean? It may still be offensive, even if used correctly. Your personal lack of offense doesn't mean it isn't offensive to others.

I'll humble myself if that's what it takes. I find the terms "illegals" and "interlopers" in this context to be rather harsh and a bit offensive. Would you (plural) please, as a favor to me, choose a gentler term?

Again, what is the obsession with using words that have been known to be offensive? Why keep doing it?

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Mmm, the urine and vinegar is starting to stench - that is what happens when humans (including me - I am a human) get defensive.

I think a bunch of us - especially those who posted in the last ten posts - actually agree on the main issue, and everything else is minutia.

But, again, correct me if I am wrong.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What does "bastard" mean? It may still be offensive, even if used correctly. Your personal lack of offense doesn't mean it isn't offensive to others.

I'll humble myself if that's what it takes. I find the terms "illegals" and "interlopers" in this context to be rather harsh and a bit offensive. Would you (plural) please, as a favor to me, choose a gentler term?

Again, what is the obsession with using words that have been known to be offensive? Why keep doing it?

"Bastard" is considered offensive because it belittles an innocent person and because it is often used as an insult. "Interloper" is a formal term, like "trespasser", that indicates status. Furthermore, if the emperor is waltzing around naked then the solution is to make him out on some clothes, not ban the term " nudist ". There is something seriously wrong when you are more offended by an accurate description of the offense then the offense itself. I mean, they're committing an OFFENSE here. An actual legal OFFENSE against the law. There is, literally, nothing more OFFENSIVE than an actual OFFENSE. Yet I don't see you giving a care about how OFFENDED I and others are by an actual, real, legal OFFENSE. You're not offended by the actual offense; you're offended by the offended describing the actual offense committed by the offenders. What you are doing is like being offended that a woman would call her offender a rapist. Basically, what you're doing is just plain wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BornAgainBrian

The Honourable Schoolboy
Dec 23, 2014
Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Bastard" is considered offensive because it belittles an innocent person and because it is often used as an insult. "Interloper" is a formal term, like "trespasser", that indicates status. Furthermore, if the emperor is waltzing around naked then the solution is to make him out on some clothes, not ban the term " nudist ". There is something seriously wrong when you are more offended by an accurate description of the offense then the offense itself. I mean, they're committing an OFFENSE here. An actual legal OFFENSE against the law. There is, literally, nothing more OFFENSIVE than an actual OFFENSE. Yet I don't see you giving a care about how OFFENDED I and others are by an actual, real, legal OFFENSE. You're not offended by the actual offense; you're offended by the offended describing the actual offense committed by the offenders. Basically, you're being oikophobic and irrationally bigoted.

So that's no, you refuse, right?

How is an illegitimate child being called a bastard, though he did nothing wrong of himself, different than a two year old brought to the US illegally by his parents being called an illegal or an interloper, though he also did nothing wrong of himself?

I'm also curious to hear your elaboration as to how my asking very humbly and politely for the use of a gentler term makes me irrationally bigoted.

Upvote 0

SteveNZ

Adventurer for my King
Oct 24, 2011
Nelson New Zealand
✟8,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some of us value our intelligence, and expatriate. After all, the American saying is, "if you don't like it here, leave."

(Please laugh with me too...)

Thanks CryOfALion, I am laughing with you.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So that's no, you refuse, right?

How is an illegitimate child being called a bastard, though he did nothing wrong of himself, different than a two year old brought to the US illegally by his parents being called an illegal or an interloper, though he also did nothing wrong of himself?

I'm also curious to hear your elaboration as to how my asking very humbly and politely for the use of a gentler term makes me irrationally bigoted.
You can be polite as you want, you're still offended that the innocent are pointing out that the offenders are committing an offense. It's like being offended that a woman would call her offender a rapist. "You mean you're calling him a rapist just because he committed rape? Well THATS harsh". No, it's not. It's entirely appropriate. Interloping is the offense they are committing. You're not offended by that offense. You're offended by the victims of the offenders using a term that means " someone who committed that offense ". You're offended by calling someone who committed X an Xer. You're offended that the victims call the offenders ones who offend. But, you're not offended by the offenders actually offending.

And look: I don't have to defend my use of the term in regards to involuntary offenders when you're clearly siding with the voluntary offenders against their victims. You're committing the violation here. YOU have to explain why you're not even offended by the actual, legal offense, but instead by the victims calling the offense as it is. THAT takes bigotry.

Upvote 0

BornAgainBrian

The Honourable Schoolboy
Dec 23, 2014
Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can be polite as you want, you're still offended that the innocent are pointing out that the offenders are committing an offense. It's like being offended that a woman would call her offender a rapist. "You mean you're calling him a rapist just because he committed rape? Well THATS harsh". No, it's not. It's entirely appropriate. Interloping is the offense they are committing. You're not offended by that offense. You're offended by the victims of the offenders using a term that means " someone who committed that offense ". You're offended by calling someone who committed X an Xer. You're offended that the victims call the offenders ones who offend. But, you're not offended by the offenders actually offending.

And look: I don't have to defend my use of the term in regards to involuntary offenders when you're clearly siding with the voluntary offenders against their victims. You're committing the violation here. YOU have to explain why you're not even offended by the actual, legal offense, but instead by the victims calling the offense as it is. THAT takes bigotry.

A simple "no" would have worked. And it's good to know you have no answer for your double standards.

Perhaps I was once a terrible offender, but was forgiven by the Forgiver and now have a sense of mercy on my heart. God loved me while I was still a sinner. Why should I not speak in love to those who in desperation broke a law to save their families?

You call me bigoted, yet refuse to clarify why. However you are the one who will compare a toddler brought here without paperwork to a rapist.

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Most often they come here legally but then overstay their visas.
Thanks for a number of good answers in your posts here.

I know of a particular farmer, a long way from the Mexican border with the US, who tries to operate within the bounds of a particular federal program. That makes the Mexican worker available, but has strict requirements on him. He has a place for the workers to stay, and must provide a nice place. Without fail (so far,) they arrive, work about a week (sometimes longer,) and LEAVE without returning.

They get their work visa, ruin the place he has provided and disappear. This farmer has made a significant investment, the investment is money he will not get back, the place needs complete renovation before he can house other workers, and the people are not there to work. It is the type of thing that will ruin the small farmer, as he cannot afford to do this year after year.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

Closing this thread for staff review

Update: This thread is remaining closed due to flaming.

There are so many flames it isn't worth cleaning.

Please keep the rules in mind when posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.