I'll hear no more of your apologies. Shape up or shut up.

• Thread starter Beautiful Ignorance
  • Start date

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Your behavior right here is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Everyone born from a Jewish mother and Everyone who completely conversion is a Jew and every Jew is obligated to treat them as a Jew. Or as Jews sometimes say, "a Jew is a Jew is a Jew is a Jew is a Jew is a Jew. "

This is true. The Jews are a people, some have even called it a race. But Christians have no common ethnicity. Our bond is of faith, it is spiritual not biological.

If you are a Christian, on the other had, if a Christian doesn't like you or disapproves of you for whatever utterly arbitrary reason, they they just decide you are a CINO (Christian in name only), or not a real Christian and they are treated like an outsider.

Not true. It is simply a fact of life that people are raised Christian or claim the Christian identity, but do not follow the walk of faith. Jesus spoke about this, the Apostles spoke about it. Those who truly understand this do not accuse others of being "CINOs" for arbitrary reasons, and they do not shun them out of the church. They help them understand what Christianity is really about.

I was often consider a fake Christian and treated as an outsider. Sometimes it was because I made mistakes and did sinful things (whatever happened to the 'we are forgiven' part? Oh yeah, that only applies to me. Everyone else has to be perfect or they are not real Christians) but most of the time it was because I didn't wear "Christian clothes," read unChristian books and comic books (no real Christian (TM) reads Swamp Thing or Lovecraft), I listened to unChriistian music (real Christians (TM) don't listen to Metallica) or did some other thing that was considered unChristian for utterly arbitrary reasons.

What sort of sinful things are we talking about? For having been forgiven, you sure don't seem sorry to have sinned. But I know what you mean about not dressing "Christian." I go to an art college, the Christian bible study group there has many of those. And I have read Lovecraft before, and I have listened to my share of "un-Christian" music. I'm afraid I have never had anything like your experience. There is a kid in my church who's three times as weird as I am, yet his passion is clear, and the church receives him warmly. I'd dare to say he has more faith than I am.

So fine. I'm not a Christian. But two can play at this game. None of the rest of you are Christians either. Since there are no Christians, stop trying to spread a religion that doesn't really exist.

My friend, listen to yourself. Your attitude does not help us understand.

Straight out, as long as there are fake Christians, I'm not going to convert. I simply am not going to ever again subject myself to that kind of treatment. When all of you, and I mean ALL OF YOU recognize all the rest of you, and I really do mean ALL the rest of you as Christians, come talk to me. Until then, forget it because I simply don't want to be a fake.

I sense a stubbornness in your words. Come now, you know fake Christians aren't going away. They will be here until Jesus returns, and he will tell them to depart from him, for he never knew them. When you say "I don't want to be a fake", logically the next thought that comes to mind is, "I want to be genuine." I implore you to seek understanding of what genuine Christianity is.

Upvote 0
B

Beautiful Ignorance

If you are a narrow thinker then you would assume all Christians behave this way.

Or if you grow up in it and aren't expose to much else. It wasn't until my 20s
that I started to learn that learn that most Christians weren't as wacked as the people I grew up with.

I know a few Catholics who bear strange opinions, they don't like Prots. don't care to want to know them. I also know the majority of Catholics do not buy into the us/them mentality.

I also read/study a lot of varying historical texts, watch documentaries and the news. You have to be discerning, you can't base your opinion of an entire group of people based solely on your experience, what you see Friday morning or via gossip or through one news channel who may very well have their own agenda.

I am currently attending RCIA and one thing I am learning is the biggest real differences between Catholics and Protestants is cultural, not theological. Protestants divide up into warring sects whereas in Catholicism, you find all variations, from the perfectly sane to the downright loony, all under one roof.

I think that Catholics have the right idea in that sense.

Upvote 0

Soothfish

Jul 24, 2011
United States
✟1,077.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Your behavior right here is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Everyone born from a Jewish mother and Everyone who completely conversion is a Jew and every Jew is obligated to treat them as a Jew. Or as Jews sometimes say, "a Jew is a Jew is a Jew is a Jew is a Jew is a Jew. "

If you are a Christian, on the other had, if a Christian doesn't like you or disapproves of you for whatever utterly arbitrary reason, they they just decide you are a CINO (Christian in name only), or not a real Christian and they are treated like an outsider.

I was often consider a fake Christian and treated as an outsider. Sometimes it was because I made mistakes and did sinful things (whatever happened to the 'we are forgiven' part? Oh yeah, that only applies to me. Everyone else has to be perfect or they are not real Christians) but most of the time it was because I didn't wear "Christian clothes," read unChristian books and comic books (no real Christian (TM) reads Swamp Thing or Lovecraft), I listened to unChriistian music (real Christians (TM) don't listen to Metallica) or did some other thing that was considered unChristian for utterly arbitrary reasons.

So fine. I'm not a Christian. But two can play at this game. None of the rest of you are Christians either. Since there are no Christians, stop trying to spread a religion that doesn't really exist.

Straight out, as long as there are fake Christians, I'm not going to convert. I simply am not going to ever again subject myself to that kind of treatment. When all of you, and I mean ALL OF YOU recognize all the rest of you, and I really do mean ALL the rest of you as Christians, come talk to me. Until then, forget it because I simply don't want to be a fake.

No a CINO is someone who deliberately ignores the scripture. That is most likely what she was referring to. There are all types of CINOs from those who live secular lives outside of going to church on Christmas to those who ignore the parts of scripture that they don't like. The worst CINOs are the violent misanthropes who use God's word as a bludgeon against the weak. Those types get personal satisfaction out of being cruel towards their fellow man.

A Christian is someone who deliberately tries to understand and live by God's word and a CINO couldn't care less. The label has nothing to do with liking or disliking the person.

Upvote 0
B

Beautiful Ignorance

You are unfamiliar with the Gospel?

No. I grew up in a fundamentalist evangelical Christian environment, the Gospels were drilled into my head at an early age and I can still recite entire passages from memory alone. I might not be able to always tell you the chapter and verse but I know the words themselves.

Should we really judge things by experience alone? My experience has not been the same as yours. Not by a long shot.

Really, experience is the only way we can judge things. What else is there but experience?

This is a most ludicrous thing to say. Please explain.

Not it's not ludicrous as all.

Quite simply, the Jews treat each other better and take better care of each other than Christians do because their religion is one of deed.. How to treat themselves and each other good and how take care of themselves and each other is their entire religion. All those 613 commandments boil down to two simple statements: Love the lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, strength and spirit and love your neighbor as yourself.

Christianity boils down to believe in Jesus and be saved. Christians don't believe in observing the Law because they have been "set free" of it.

On a personal level, when I was a kid and going to church, my problems went ignored and unsolved by my fellow Christians because "Jesus already did all the work," and the solution to all my problems were, "give it all to Jesus." By the time I was 20, if I had a problem, I avoided Christians like the plague for this very reason.

Ever since I started attending, anytime a problem arises, I can go to my fellow congregants and get real help, real solutions to my life's challenges. I have often been told to petition God in prayer (never Jesus of course) but that has never been offered in place of a real solution. I have never been told, "just lay it all at God's feet" or "Give it all to God." I am significantly more successful at meeting lifes challenges than I ever was attending church.

Not just that but all those little 613 rules that Christians don't like living by are instructions on how to interact with people in the best possible way. It's the answer for every social and business situation. How are you to conduct yourself in the best manner?

Judaism is based on deeds, how you live. It requires that we first love God with all our heart, soul, mind, strength and spirit and love our neighbor as ourself. And it provides the instructions on how to do that.

Christianity teaches we don't have to follow the instructions because Jesus did and that set us free from having to follow them ourselves. And even if we were supposed to, we couldn't anyways. Christianity even teaches that the entire point of the instructions was to show that they can't be followed while Jews are doing just that; following the instructions

And how do you know this? This is the problem with mankind, when things break, they would rather it aside and seek a replacement. They never want to fix that which is broken. God wants to fix those broken things for us, and make them new again.

I agree with what you are saying here. I just completely disagree with the method you are suggesting for that.

Upvote 0
B

Beautiful Ignorance

No a CINO is someone who deliberately ignores the scripture.

Or more accurately your specific intpretation of the scripture.

That is most likely what she was referring to. There are all types of CINOs from those who live secular lives outside of going to church on Christmas to those who ignore the parts of scripture that they don't like. The worst CINOs are the violent misanthropes who use God's word as a bludgeon against the weak. Those types get personal satisfaction out of being cruel towards their fellow man.

A Christian is someone who deliberately tries to understand and live by God's word and a CINO couldn't care less. The label has nothing to do with liking or disliking the person.

Since you put it that way, there are people who are Jew in name only, meaning they were born to a Jewish mother and that's the only thing that qualifies them as a Jew and they live secular lives.

I'm not attacking or criticizing those people (either Christian or Jew) because they rarely or never tried to spread the faith or claim to speak in the name of their deity, nor do they ever claim to represent Christianity to outsiders.

As for the rest of the people you call CINOs, you don't get off that easily. It isn't just that your CINOs aren't doing a good job, it's the reasons for it. Instead of treating the CINOs like one your own and either getting control of them or excommunicating them, you deny they are even yours at all. You don't treat them like your follow Christian but as outsiders and just expect nonChristians to do the same.

It doesn't really work that way to the outsider though. To me, you are all Christians. To me, your CINOs are every bit as Christian as you because to them, you are the CINOs and they are the real Christians.

Upvote 0
B

Beautiful Ignorance

This is true. The Jews are a people, some have even called it a race. But Christians have no common ethnicity. Our bond is of faith, it is spiritual not biological.

At least the Jews have a bond. Considering the overall state of the church, especially the protestants, I think a good case can be made that no such bond exists in Christianity. I certainly never felt like I was bonded to other Christians and apparently no one ever felt like they were bonded to me.

Not true.

Yes, it is true. I've experience this first hand.

It is simply a fact of life that people are raised Christian or claim the Christian identity, but do not follow the walk of faith. Jesus spoke about this, the Apostles spoke about it. Those who truly understand this do not accuse others of being "CINOs" for arbitrary reasons, and they do not shun them out of the church. They help them understand what Christianity is really about.

How's about not accusing them of being CINOs or fake Christians period. In Judaism, they refer to it as either being practicing or not. There is no such thing as being a JINO or a fake Jew.

What sort of sinful things are we talking about?

Normal human things that normal humans do. I'm sure you have your own list of sins.

For having been forgiven, you sure don't seem sorry to have sinned.

And you know how sorry I am or am not how again? Because I don't remember telling you that I wasn't sorry for my sins.

Quite the opposite is true. I am so sorry for my sins that instead of seeking forgiveness, I seek to not sin.

But I know what you mean about not dressing "Christian." I go to an art college, the Christian bible study group there has many of those. And I have read Lovecraft before, and I have listened to my share of "un-Christian" music. I'm afraid I have never had anything like your experience. There is a kid in my church who's three times as weird as I am, yet his passion is clear, and the church receives him warmly. I'd dare to say he has more faith than I am.

If I had grown up in that kind of environment, I might not have deconverted by this kind of acceptance is by no means universal in Christianity. Christians are so notorious for the way they treat each other Christians that there is even a saying that goes, "The Christian Army is the only one that shoots it's wounded."

My friend, listen to yourself. Your attitude does not help us understand.

What I'm getting it is if you are going to go around calling people fake Christians or CINOs, how do I know that your not the one that is the CINO. If someone can fake being a Christian, how do I know it's not you?

I sense a stubbornness in your words. Come now, you know fake Christians aren't going away.

How do I know that you are not the fake? Also, if I convert, how do I know that you wont treat me like a fake? Doesn't sound like a good deal.

When someone who is a Jew does something stupid, Jews don't say, "he wasn't a real Jew." They say, "He was a Jew who did something stupid." Christians disown the person saying, "If they were a real Christian, they would't have done that."

They will be here until Jesus returns, and he will tell them to depart from him, for he never knew them. When you say "I don't want to be a fake", logically the next thought that comes to mind is, "I want to be genuine." I implore you to seek understanding of what genuine Christianity is.

Anyone who claims to believe that Jesus was god and the son of god and died for their sins and was resurrected on the third day and lives by the Christian calender is a genuine Christian. Specific denominations like the Catholics may have more requirements but the qualify as a generic Christian, this is the minimum.

The problem isn't that I don't know what genuine Christianity is. I don't really have to because it's not my religion.

The problem here is that you don't. If you don't like someone for whatever reason, be it arbitrary or not in your own mind, you disown them and call them a fake. As a fake, you don't feel that you have to have their back.

Jesus said you will know them by their love. You love those that are easy to love as does the world. But it's the love you show to the unlovable that really show your true colors. But you don't. You dub the unlovable a fake Christian and let yourself off the hook.

That's happened to me. When your parents treat you as badly as mine did, you don't grow up being the nicest guy in the world. I was the unlovable because I had been given no love. I came to church to receive love so that I might learn how to love others. Instead of being loved, I was dubbed a fake Christian and sent on my way.

And so I went to synagogue. They asked nothing of me but show me loved because their religion commanded that they love. They never tried to get me to convert, to join the cause, never put any pressure on me to prove how Jewish I was before I was worthy of being loved.

Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
No. I grew up in a fundamentalist evangelical Christian environment, the Gospels were drilled into my head at an early age and I can still recite entire passages from memory alone. I might not be able to always tell you the chapter and verse but I know the words themselves.

It is not drilled into my head, but this is the Good News we have.

Really, experience is the only way we can judge things. What else is there but experience?

What else is there but your experience? Everything beyond what you have seen and been through. There are things I have never experienced, but I know them from others. Our own experience is not enough. I have not experienced and of the events that happened in the Bible. If I judged only on my own experience, I would not be a Christian (although giving my life to Christ was a personal experience).

Not it's not ludicrous as all.

Quite simply, the Jews treat each other better and take better care of each other than Christians do because their religion is one of deed.. How to treat themselves and each other good and how take care of themselves and each other is their entire religion. All those 613 commandments boil down to two simple statements: Love the lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, strength and spirit and love your neighbor as yourself.

Right, this is what all the commandments came to. And yet the Jews had forgotten this. They were too caught up in following the laws and condemning those who did not obey the laws. Where is the love in that?

Christianity boils down to believe in Jesus and be saved. Christians don't believe in observing the Law because they have been "set free" of it.

We do not observe the law because it has been fulfilled by Jesus. Jesus' new covenant holds firm to the principles of God's commandments. Can you not agree to this, even if you don't see Christians exemplifying it?

On a personal level, when I was a kid and going to church, my problems went ignored and unsolved by my fellow Christians because "Jesus already did all the work," and the solution to all my problems were, "give it all to Jesus." By the time I was 20, if I had a problem, I avoided Christians like the plague for this very reason.

This is not coherent with what the Bible says on how we are to live. As James said, "Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."

So these people were not exemplifying living faith. You came to them with your troubles, and they gave no consolation to you. I thank God I have never had this experience in my Church.

Ever since I started attending, anytime a problem arises, I can go to my fellow congregants and get real help, real solutions to my life's challenges. I have often been told to petition God in prayer (never Jesus of course) but that has never been offered in place of a real solution. I have never been told, "just lay it all at God's feet" or "Give it all to God." I am significantly more successful at meeting lifes challenges than I ever was attending church.

This is news. Jews don't hold prayer in much significance? It was answered prayers by God that led me to become a Christian.

"Life is better than when I was Christian." I have heard the same from Atheists, Muslims, and other ex-Christians. If you say you are happier, then I believe you. The Christian life is not as happy as many would like it to be.

Not just that but all those little 613 rules that Christians don't like living by are instructions on how to interact with people in the best possible way. It's the answer for every social and business situation. How are you to conduct yourself in the best manner?

Judaism is based on deeds, how you live. It requires that we first love God with all our heart, soul, mind, strength and spirit and love our neighbor as ourself. And it provides the instructions on how to do that.

Christianity teaches we don't have to follow the instructions because Jesus did and that set us free from having to follow them ourselves. And even if we were supposed to, we couldn't anyways. Christianity even teaches that the entire point of the instructions was to show that they can't be followed while Jews are doing just that; following the instructions

Hm, there are many Jewish laws that clearly would not fly in today's social setting. There was a time for them, and it was for the Jewish people, but that time has passed.

Christianity is also based on how we live, just not by our deeds. It's by our faith. Living faith is evident by our works, not brought about by them. Obedience to God doesn't save us, it's what we do because we are saved.

No one has followed the instructions perfectly. No one is without sin. By trying to follow the laws of God, instead of accepting salvation by grace, we are rejecting God's grace. We would rather earn our salvation so God is obligated to give it to us. When we sin under the law, we are indebted to God's justice. But under Christ, when we are indebted to God's love, for he paid for our sins out of love.

I agree with what you are saying here. I just completely disagree with the method you are suggesting for that.

You did not seem to agree before, which is why I said this. You said we should put each family member a knew family. What method is it you say I'm suggesting?

Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
At least the Jews have a bond. Considering the overall state of the church, especially the protestants, I think a good case can be made that no such bond exists in Christianity. I certainly never felt like I was bonded to other Christians and apparently no one ever felt like they were bonded to me.

Not true. I have seen the bonds of faith we have, both in my life, and others' lives. I have seen a man broken and rejected by everyone else, restored through Jesus, and accepted by Christians despite his sins or character. Indeed it is my desire that such a shocking revival might happen to me as well. I am sorry that you have never seen or felt the same.

Yes, it is true. I've experience this first hand.

It is not true, because such acts are not true to Christianity. Therefore, these people likely did not know what Christianity is about. So how could they have stronger faith than the people they were judging?

How's about not accusing them of being CINOs or fake Christians period. In Judaism, they refer to it as either being practicing or not. There is no such thing as being a JINO or a fake Jew.

Again, it's simply a fact that there are people like this. Nobody likes to be called a sinner either, and yet they still are. But we are not called to condemn anyone, but to love them, and help them get to the truth of our faith.

Right, because again, the Jews are a people. They're like Scotsman, can't say there's a "no true Scotsman" because it's an ethnicity. That's how you identify someone as Scottish. But you don't identify Christians by our faith, which in turn is evident by how we live our lives.

Normal human things that normal humans do. I'm sure you have your own list of sins.

I hate to bother, but could you please name some specific acts? Seems to me if it were normal human actions, they would have done the same things. In which case they are not at a position to condemn you of anything.

And you know how sorry I am or am not how again? Because I don't
remember telling you that I wasn't sorry for my sins.

Quite the opposite is true. I am so sorry for my sins that instead of seeking forgiveness, I seek to not sin.

I do not know how sorry you are or not. But you don't seem sorry. Again, this may be your attitude, of which I beg you to drop. I do not hold harsh sentiments against you my friend.

But this is news to me. Jews don't seek forgiveness of their sins? If you are sorry, wouldn't you seek forgiveness as well as not to sin? Seems to me there is no point in changing your ways if you don't have forgiveness first.

If I had grown up in that kind of environment, I might not have deconverted by this kind of acceptance is by no means universal in Christianity. Christians are so notorious for the way they treat each other Christians that there is even a saying that goes, "The Christian Army is the only one that shoots it's wounded."

I have never heard such a saying. Where do you hear it said? In my own experience, the Church is the one place I have seen the principles of God best exemplified.

What I'm getting it is if you are going to go around calling people fake Christians or CINOs, how do I know that your not the one that is the CINO. If someone can fake being a Christian, how do I know it's not you?

How do I know that you are not the fake? Also, if I convert, how do I know that you wont treat me like a fake? Doesn't sound like a good deal.

You can see my faith by how I live. Indeed I have often wondered the same thing about myself. So I seek to become genuine, I do not want to be a fake.

You will never know how I treat you, until you try. Even if you are fake, am I commanded to treat you differently, or with love like anyone else?

When someone who is a Jew does something stupid, Jews don't say, "he wasn't a real Jew." They say, "He was a Jew who did something stupid." Christians disown the person saying, "If they were a real Christian, they would't have done that."

This is true. A Jew is a Jew, regardless of their actions, as is a Scotsman. But Adolf Hitler, for instance, was not a real Christian. Not a word of the Gospel condones what he did to your people. We are warned to beware of false prophets and snakes in the Church. They will receive their own dues for claiming to act in God's name.

Anyone who claims to believe that Jesus was god and the son of god and died for their sins and was resurrected on the third day and lives by the Christian calender is a genuine Christian. Specific denominations like the Catholics may have more requirements but the qualify as a generic Christian, this is the minimum.

Don't you realize an Atheist could profess these same words? And yet he would be a liar.

Another example is my own mother. She claims to have belief in God, she says we are a "Lutheran" family. But she does not live by faith, my goodness it is so evident. Since becoming a Christian, I try to share the Good News with her. But she does not like to hear about Jesus, and she disapproves when I go on trips with my Bible study group. She tries to joke around and change the subject when I attempt to speak with her about this. In all honesty, I don't think she understands what Lutheran is.

The problem isn't that I don't know what genuine Christianity is. I don't really have to because it's not my religion.

The problem here is that you don't. If you don't like someone for whatever reason, be it arbitrary or not in your own mind, you disown them and call them a fake. As a fake, you don't feel that you have to have their back.

It is indeed the problem. For how can you judge Christianity when you don't know what true Christianity is? The point I was making all along is that there are people who claim the Christian title, but do not live by its true principles.

Are you personally accusing my of doing those thins? Do I condemn other Christians, and not love them?

Jesus said you will know them by their love. You love those that are easy to love as does the world. But it's the love you show to the unlovable that really show your true colors. But you don't. You dub the unlovable a fake Christian and let yourself off the hook.

I only love those who are easy to love? I might have agreed two years ago. My friend, if you only knew...

That's happened to me. When your parents treat you as badly as mine did, you don't grow up being the nicest guy in the world. I was the unlovable because I had been given no love. I came to church to receive love so that I might learn how to love others. Instead of being loved, I was dubbed a fake Christian and sent on my way.

And so I went to synagogue. They asked nothing of me but show me loved because their religion commanded that they love. They never tried to get me to convert, to join the cause, never put any pressure on me to prove how Jewish I was before I was worthy of being loved.

Indeed I could say the same of my own Church, the exact same. When I started going to Church, I never interacted with the other people. I just sat in the pew and listened to the message, and left. I am a rather introverted person (why else would I be on a forum? :D). And yet, when everyone else in the world ignored me or put me down, here was a body of people that loved me when I finally did reach out to them. They showed me kindness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
B

Beautiful Ignorance

It is not drilled into my head, but this is the Good News we have.

Jesus' teachings about how to live mostly come from Judaism. He departs in a couple of places, such as he wasn't particular about observing the Sabbath, and in those places, rabbis today, just like the Pharisees in Jesus' day still hold that he erred.

As for the business about dying on the cross for our sins, that appears to have been borrowed from other religions and added later. There is nothing in Judaism that set a precedence for that.

What else is there but your experience? Everything beyond what you have seen and been through. There are things I have never experienced, but I know them from others. Our own experience is not enough. I have not experienced and of the events that happened in the Bible. If I judged only on my own experience, I would not be a Christian (although giving my life to Christ was a personal experience).

When someone tells me about an event that they experienced, they event they are describing might be their experience but hearing them tell the tale is my experience. And likewise, I know what the Bible says because of the experience of reading about it. And so I am still confined to looking at things only through my own experiences.

Right, this is what all the commandments came to. And yet the Jews had forgotten this. They were too caught up in following the laws and condemning those who did not obey the laws. Where is the love in that?

Not condemning them unless the specific law someone broke demanded condemnation.

The love in that is that world is harsh and so the best way a parent or a leader can prepare someone else for the world is strict adherence to the rules. What's unloving is not requiring someone to live by the rules and letting learn the hard way, by letting them wind up dead or imprisoned or otherwise harmed because they didn't know the consequences of their actions.

We do not observe the law because it has been fulfilled by Jesus.

And what exactly does that mean? It is not true that everyone is set free of the consequences of not keeping the law and so how is it that the law was fulfilled?

Jesus' new covenant holds firm to the principles of God's commandments. Can you not agree to this, even if you don't see Christians exemplifying it?

I'm not sure I do. Christians don't follow the commandments because they don't see it as a necessary part of their religious practice whereas in Judaism, if you are not following the commandments, you are not following the religion. Period. There is no such thing as practicing Judaism outside of keeping the commandments. Jews don't ask each other if they believe. They ask each other if they practice.

This is not coherent with what the Bible says on how we are to live. As James said, "Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."

Actually, I agree with you 100% here. Or I should say I agree with you and James. Paul seemed to the think the point was belief whereas James here says its action. You address this below, but in Christianity, they idea is that you will do good works because you have faith. But having faith is the important part. As if their is some difference.

In Judaism, faith is works. If you keep the commandments, you have faith and if you don't, you don't have faith and that's the end of the story.

So these people were not exemplifying living faith. You came to them with your troubles, and they gave no consolation to you. I thank God I have never had this experience in my Church.

Or they just don't have faith.

You just got lucky. This has happened to a large enough number of Christians that we now have the saying about the Christian army shooting its wounded.

I think it's because the religion itself is broke. That faith and works are two separate things and that you can somehow have faith, even a dead faith, without practicing the commandments is a deeply flawed concept.

This is news. Jews don't hold prayer in much significance? It was answered prayers by God that led me to become a Christian.

I never said that. Prayer is a very significant part of religious practice but it doesn't quite work the same as Christian prayer. Christians make their petitions known to God and ask they be granted in the name of Jesus. Jews make their petitions known but instead of just asking that they be grant, they ask that God make known to them what their part is. A Jew doesn't pray to ask God to give what the Jew requires but rather asks God what God requires of the Jew.

When I was a kid, I was taught to pray the Christian way and if my prayer went unanswered (they always did) or if "God said no" there was nothing I could about it. It was all about grace anyway which meant that everything that God did give me was a gift and so there was no way to earn God's favor.

Jewish prayer empowers the individual to conquer life's problems while Christian prayer strips it from him.

A Jew is not allowed to offer prayer in place of actual action or work that a Jew can perform on your behalf. Christians though often think that prayer is the most they can do and so think that is enough.

"Life is better than when I was Christian." I have heard the same from Atheists, Muslims, and other ex-Christians. If you say you are happier, then I believe you. The Christian life is not as happy as many would like it to be.

It isn't just that I was unhappy. It was the reasons. When I was a Christian, other Christians treated me like absolute crap. I didn't matter because it was all about Jesus, not me. And I thought I was completely powerless to solve my problems because it was all grace and we didn't deserve anything anyway.

By the the time I deconverted, I felt so deeply alone and depressed, my self esteem was so morbidly low that I was really on the point of committing suicide. It was either that or escape and I finally elected to escape and leave Christianity behind.

And so I am the hardest skeptic you'll ever meet. You might meet someone as hard but none harder. That is because I would need to be absolute convinced because nothing but the most extraordinary proof would ever convince before I would ever return to Christianity. I would have to be convinced that Hell really does exist beyond the grave and I would have to fear Hell more than I hate life as a Christian.

Hm, there are many Jewish laws that clearly would not fly in today's social setting. There was a time for them, and it was for the Jewish people, but that time has passed.

Not sure what you are talking about unless you are referring to some of the punishments for breaking specific laws.

Christianity is also based on how we live, just not by our deeds. It's by our faith. Living faith is evident by our works, not brought about by them. Obedience to God doesn't save us, it's what we do because we are saved.

And there in lies the problem. You have separate faith and deeds into two different things. To your neighbor, it matters not one iota what you belief or have faith in. It's what you do. I am effected by your actions, not your beliefs. If you feed the poor because God commanded or because you have faith and your faith led you to so, it makes no difference to the poor. All that matters to the poor is that they got fed.

And there in lies the difference between Judaism and Christianity. Christianity is a deeply selfish religion because it focuses on whether or not you have faith, whether or not you did good for the right reasons (how can good be done for wrong reasons?), what God is trying to teach you through those poor people and your actions toward them, etc.

Judaism is about feeding the poor because they'll starve to death if you don't. Was your heart right place? Did you learn the right lessons? Never mind that, just feed those people or they'll die. This isn't Christianity which means we have work to do. You can worry about your personal relationship with God after everyone is well fed.

No one has followed the instructions perfectly. No one is without sin.

I'm not convinced of that, but okay. Suppose you are right. Doesn't make any difference at all. Keep the law anyway.

By trying to follow the laws of God, instead of accepting salvation by grace, we are rejecting God's grace.

Grace? what Grace? I don't see any grace in this universe. Do the forces of nature show grace when you don't like the effects of your actions? No, not at all. You are always stuck with the effects of your action because this universe runs by cause and effect completely without grace.

Try relying on grace for the poor to get fed. Try relying on grace for the naked to be clothed or for the imprisoned to be ministered to. Oops, it doesn't quite work, does it. That's because you cant just conjure up resources out of thin air with grace. What's required is action, you actually doing it, keeping the law. If no one keeps the law, then it doesn't get done and no amount of clinging to the fiction of grace has ever changed that in the least.

We would rather earn our salvation so God is obligated to give it to us.

No, this is demonstrably entirely false in that Christianity, not Judaism is the dominant religion and is so because we would rather have salvation given to us without having done anything at all to earn it. And since it is entirely free, why do anything at all. Just relax and be a Christian because Jesus already did it all.

Except for he didn't. People are still hurting, starving, dying, being oppressed by tyrants, you name it someone is suffering from it and no one is doing anything to stop it because Jesus already did it all.

When we sin under the law, we are indebted to God's justice. But under Christ, when we are indebted to God's love, for he paid for our sins out of love.

Except for if you sin against me, I still suffer the consequences for that and Jesus' death on the cross didn't change that at all. And so you will not be forgiven, I will seek justice against you (read my signature). And so you are still under the law and if you sin, you are still under the Judgement of the law. So what exactly was it that Jesus changed?

You did not seem to agree before, which is why I said this. You said we should put each family member a knew family. What method is it you say I'm suggesting?

If the family is to be repaired as a family, the individual people that make up the family must first be repaired and sometimes the best way to do that is to separate them from each other for a while so they can heal without being effected by each others sickness. You seem to be suggesting to just throw one more person into the mess to be infected by everyones' sickness and I just don't see that working.

Upvote 0

Aeneas

Oct 22, 2011
✟1,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
TMK, there hasn't been an unbroken succession down through the ages of people worshiping Neolistic Great Goddesses.

What does that have to do with anything? Anyways, if that is your criterion, the oldest cult would become paganism. Or Hinduism.

But I'm not playing games here.

Neither am I.

Right below my name, it says straight up what I am. I am a gentile worshiper of the God of Abraham, the Old Testament Deity. The 'cult' I was referring to is Judaism.

Yet, Judaism is not the oldest cult in the world.

I don't think Christianity qualifies as a cult any more.

A cult is a system of religious worship, so sure it does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

Beautiful Ignorance

What does that have to do with anything? Anyways, if that is your criterion, the oldest cult would become paganism. Or Hinduism.

Neither am I.

Didn't mean to suggest that you were.

Yet, Judaism is not the oldest cult in the world.

A cult is a system of religious worship, so sure it does.

I was thinking in Terms of the world religions being Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Chinese folk religion and everything else as being a cult. I was thinking of Judaism as being the oldest cult because with them, its been the same group of people practicing the same religion for longer than any group of people or religion that I know of without ever being widely adopted by outsiders.

But rereading the preceding paragraph, I realize how completely arbitrary that is and that I have no reason whatsoever to assume that you'd be using the exact same set of completely arbitrary definitions.

Upvote 0

Notedstrangeperson

Jul 3, 2008
✟12,024.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Beautiful Ignorance said:
In studying both Jewish and Christian history, I learned about a repeating pattern: Jews had almost always prepared long ahead of time for the coming famine whereas most Christians have not been so careful and then when the famine strikes (as it always does eventually) everyone is starving to death but the Jews. This has been the source of much anti-Jewish sentiments.

Yes. There are absolutly so Christian charities concerned about starvation. Except for:
And many more. What's this obsession with starving anyway? Did someone forget to offer you tea and a biscuit? BTW you need to change your tag. It says "Gentile worshipper of the God of Abraham." You know what a gentile is right? :p

Upvote 0
B

Beautiful Ignorance

Yes. There are absolutly so Christian charities concerned about starvation. Except for:
[

And many more.

I'm aware of Christian Charities. I'm not talking about just post WWII but the whole last two thousand years or more. Read up about the plight of Jews in Europe and on the western border lands of Russia prior to WWI and between WWI And WWII.

What's this obsession with starving anyway? Did someone forget to offer you tea and a biscuit?

Growing up, I was often malnurished and was so among Christians who were well fed. No one ever actually made any effort to find out why or feed me or anything like that. I was however often made fun of because of how skinny I was. At church. And sometimes by adults.

BTW you need to change your tag. It says "Gentile worshipper of the God of Abraham." You know what a gentile is right? :p

A gentile is a someone of non-Jewish origin or not a member of the tribe of the children of Israel or someone not of the Jewish faith. I fall into that category because I am of Anglo, not Hebrew origin and I have never converted to Judaism. I worship their same God and believe in their same bible but I am not bound to keep all 613 laws of the Torah but rather I am to keep the 7 classes of laws of the Noahide covenant (see Genesis chapter 9).

Upvote 0
S

someguy14

The only way we're set free is to abide perfectly in the law. The only way we can abide perfectly in the law, is to abide in God. God is the perfect. God is Love. Love is the fulfilling of the law, friend.

So we are not so much different as one may think.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Notedstrangeperson

Jul 3, 2008
✟12,024.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm aware of Christian Charities. I'm not talking about just post WWII but the whole last two thousand years or more. Read up about the plight of Jews in Europe and on the western border lands of Russia prior to WWI and between WWI And WWII.
Jews have been persecuted by many religions and many nations. What's so exceptional about this one? How does it somehow 'prove' that no Christian cares if people starve and die?

Growing up, I was often malnurished and was so among Christians who were well fed. No one ever actually made any effort to find out why or feed me or anything like that. I was however often made fun of because of how skinny I was. At church. And sometimes by adults.
I find that difficult to believe but I'll take your word for it ...

So you met some bad Christians. Sorry about that. But what does that have to do with your new religion? Did the Noahides take care of you? If they were Buddhists or Hindus would you have converted to their religion?

I get the impression your views are less about religion and more about personal experience. Are you going to deconvert again the minute a fellow Noahide is rude to you?

On a side-note:
That faith and works are two separate things and that you can somehow have faith, even a dead faith, without practicing the commandments is a deeply flawed concept.
Yes, you're right:

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
- James 2

If Christians believed faith alone was enough we would not have so many charities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

someguy14

I liked the video but I could barely understand the vocalist through the accent and so I failed to understand what you were attempting to communicate.

He is a Jewish singer and he is praising God, singing about how much he loves Jerusalem. I thought you would enjoy it. Matisyahu sings a lot about love for God and people and not so much about craming religions down peoples throats. He has many enjoyable songs I think you will enjoy.

Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Jesus' teachings about how to live mostly come from Judaism. He departs in a couple of places, such as he wasn't particular about observing the Sabbath, and in those places, rabbis today, just like the Pharisees in Jesus' day still hold that he erred.

As for the business about dying on the cross for our sins, that appears to have been borrowed from other religions and added later. There is nothing in Judaism that set a precedence for that.

Right, for Jesus' teachings are in harmony with God's law. But Jesus is Lord over the Sabbath, and as he pointed out, the Pharisees were judging him as a sinner by doing good on the Sabbath day. Not too unlike those in the church who condemned you, no?

When someone tells me about an event that they experienced, they event they are describing might be their experience but hearing them tell the tale is my experience. And likewise, I know what the Bible says because of the experience of reading about it. And so I am still confined to looking at things only through my own experiences.

Alright.

Not condemning them unless the specific law someone broke demanded condemnation.

The love in that is that world is harsh and so the best way a parent or a leader can prepare someone else for the world is strict adherence to the rules. What's unloving is not requiring someone to live by the rules and letting learn the hard way, by letting them wind up dead or imprisoned or otherwise harmed because they didn't know the consequences of their actions.

Right, strict adherence was necessary. God gave his old covenant to the Hebrews to ensure that Jesus' arrival occurred in very specific conditions and time period. If he was to come through the Jews, God's chosen people, they needed to survive until that happened. Lenience could not be allowed.

But God's grace is that he does not punish us so harshly anymore. Nobody is to be put to death, stoned or beaten. God's grace is letting his children learn the hard way. The wrath of God was satisfied from Jesus' sacrifice, and so in grace the only "wrath" we suffer is that God will abandon us to our sins should we reject him. Out of grace he lets us live our sinful lives; those who are not his people will love their sinful ways, but his true people will return to him after suffering the consequences of their own ways.

And what exactly does that mean? It is not true that everyone is set free of the consequences of not keeping the law and so how is it that the law was fulfilled?

The law was fulfilled, meaning Jesus paid the debt we owe for having broken God's law. All men who come to the Father through Jesus are freed from their sin. But when we reject Jesus, we reject the sacrifice he made for us, and so we are guilty by God's law. Jesus justly paid our sins so that we may have the blessing of Abraham--that is, a relationship of faith rather than obeying laws. God counted Abraham righteous because of his faith, not because he lived a sinless life.

I'm not sure I do. Christians don't follow the commandments because they don't see it as a necessary part of their religious practice whereas in Judaism, if you are not following the commandments, you are not following the religion. Period. There is no such thing as practicing Judaism outside of keeping the commandments. Jews don't ask each other if they believe. They ask each other if they practice.

This is true. What we have is not mere worldly religion, it is relationship with God. Worldly religion is little more than rules and rituals and regulations. One can practice, and not have faith. This is why faith is more important, without faith it is impossible to please God. Atheists, Buddhists, and the like will claim they do not deserve judgement, because they do good works. But this is nothing if they have rejected God, their works will not save them.

Actually, I agree with you 100% here. Or I should say I agree with you and James. Paul seemed to the think the point was belief whereas James here says its action. You address this below, but in Christianity, they idea is that you will do good works because you have faith. But having faith is the important part. As if their is some difference.

I see what you mean. But there is a difference, as I mentioned above. One can do works and not have faith, but one cannot have living faith without works. Do you remember Jesus' parable of the Prodigal Son? The older brother always did good works, but once the foolish younger brother returns, we see he is bitter because his father has received him warmly, and does not glorify the older brother even though he did good works. As the father points out, he is pleased with the older brother, but is much more overjoyed that his lost son has come back. The younger brother did no good works, he only returned out of faith that the father would simply let him work as a hired servant. So we see the difference between faith and good works.

In Judaism, faith is works. If you keep the commandments, you have faith and if you don't, you don't have faith and that's the end of the story.

This is inconsistent to what we know about faith. God has given us all a measure of faith, and it can weaken or grow stronger. There are those who are barely clinging to their faith, they likely don't obey God very well. But they have not forsaken him. Meanwhile, there are those who have strong faith in God. These people obey him, but still not perfectly, for no one has. Yet they repent and continue to seek God, for God is our Father, not just our master. One can obey his master and have nothing to do with him, but if we obey the Father, we must do it out of love.

Or they just don't have faith.

Again, see what I said above. We know they have faith, but it is dead.

You just got lucky. This has happened to a large enough number of Christians that we now have the saying about the Christian army shooting its wounded.

Alright.

I think it's because the religion itself is broke. That faith and works are two separate things and that you can somehow have faith, even a dead faith, without practicing the commandments is a deeply flawed concept.

Again, we must not simply believe in God and yet sin wantonly. As Paul points out, we are now slaves to God's righteousness, indebted to his grace. A slave must obey his master, and if we are also called "sons of God", we must also obey our Father. We do not perform good works to earn our salvation, but rather, out of faith that we are now saved, we perform good works.

Please my friend, listen to what you are saying. I understand you have had a painful experience in the Church, but this is not consistent with the Gospels. I implore you to revisit the Bible, and see for yourself how faith and works go together.

I never said that. Prayer is a very significant part of religious practice but it doesn't quite work the same as Christian prayer. Christians make their petitions known to God and ask they be granted in the name of Jesus. Jews make their petitions known but instead of just asking that they be grant, they ask that God make known to them what their part is. A Jew doesn't pray to ask God to give what the Jew requires but rather asks God what God requires of the Jew.

I see. Then it seems Jewish prayer is the same as Christian prayer. For we also must act with faith that God will answer our prayers. As my pastor says, "God doesn't drive parked cars. Put it in gear and he is more than powerful to steer you away from the wrong turns." We pray to God in Jesus' name, because it was through Jesus that we are saved and reconciled to the Father. It is recognition that Jesus is our Lord and savior, if he gave us salvation, surely he will not hold these lesser things from us.

When I was a kid, I was taught to pray the Christian way and if my prayer went unanswered (they always did) or if "God said no" there was nothing I could about it. It was all about grace anyway which meant that everything that God did give me was a gift and so there was no way to earn God's favor.

You are right that we cannot earn God's favor. But don't worry, because we already have it! We simply accept that God gives us his favor out of grace, why try to earn what God has freely given?

When I was a kid, there was a girl I grew up with over the years, and I consistently prayed to God that this woman would be my wife. Nothing ever happened. But now I see as an adult, that this woman would not have worked out with me (We are still in touch). Therefore, I can do two things: blame God for not answering my prayer, or continue to pray to him with faith that he has planned someone better than I can think of.

Jewish prayer empowers the individual to conquer life's problems while Christian prayer strips it from him.

Again, this is not true. If anything it is just as you say the Jewish prayer is, we are empowered to act knowing God is in control. There are things impossible for man, but not impossible for God. Therefore, we are empowered by God. The key my friend, is acknowledging that God is the one who allows it to happen.

***EDIT: It seems this post is too long, it will not allow me to post it. So I am splitting it into two parts.***

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
***EDIT: This is a continuation of the post above, which was too long to fit in one post.***

A Jew is not allowed to offer prayer in place of actual action or work that a Jew can perform on your behalf. Christians though often think that prayer is the most they can do and so think that is enough.

I would not say we are "not allowed" to pray without action. Rather, if we simply go through the motions unchanged and expect God to simply drop a blessing into our basket, it will not work. It simply is not how prayer works.

It isn't just that I was unhappy. It was the reasons. When I was a Christian, other Christians treated me like absolute crap. I didn't matter because it was all about Jesus, not me. And I thought I was completely powerless to solve my problems because it was all grace and we didn't deserve anything anyway.

I am sorry my friend. I will never know how badly they treated you. If what you say is true, these people could not possibly have known what the Gospel is about. For you and I both know it is nothing like this.

By the the time I deconverted, I felt so deeply alone and depressed, my self esteem was so morbidly low that I was really on the point of committing suicide. It was either that or escape and I finally elected to escape and leave Christianity behind.

This is how I was before I was a Christian. In fact, it while I was deeply contemplating suicide that I decided to accept Christ, out of sheer desperation. So it pains me to hear that out of desperation, you departed from him.

And so I am the hardest skeptic you'll ever meet. You might meet someone as hard but none harder. That is because I would need to be absolute convinced because nothing but the most extraordinary proof would ever convince before I would ever return to Christianity. I would have to be convinced that Hell really does exist beyond the grave and I would have to fear Hell more than I hate life as a Christian.

I suppose you are right. I have met skeptics who were far more vicious than you, but in a way, the experience you went through makes this just as hard to bear with as a militant Atheist.

But as for Hell, there is no need to fear it as a Christian. Believe me, I did not become a Christian from fear of Hell. I was on the verge of killing myself, I was ready to risk Hell if it meant I might have relief instead. No, what I wanted was what God promised through Jesus. I wanted the complete joy I saw in my Church's lives, and my father's.

Not sure what you are talking about unless you are referring to some of the punishments for breaking specific laws.

I was thinking of animal sacrifices to pay for sins, stoning for various types of sin, selling one's self into slavery for paying off debt. To be honest I am not too familiar with all the laws, these are just the ones I know a little more about.

And there in lies the problem. You have separate faith and deeds into two different things. To your neighbor, it matters not one iota what you belief or have faith in. It's what you do. I am effected by your actions, not your beliefs. If you feed the poor because God commanded or because you have faith and your faith led you to so, it makes no difference to the poor. All that matters to the poor is that they got fed.

And there in lies the difference between Judaism and Christianity. Christianity is a deeply selfish religion because it focuses on whether or not you have faith, whether or not you did good for the right reasons (how can good be done for wrong reasons?), what God is trying to teach you through those poor people and your actions toward them, etc.

Oh believe me my friend, if it was selfish, we would not spread the Good News to those who are lost. We would hoard it to ourselves. Let me tell you what is selfish: I am often too afraid to share the Good News, out of fear I will be rejected. As if it's all about how I feel, and not about spreading the love of Jesus. This is something I am struggling with in real life, it is not so easy to talk as on a forum.

How can good be done for the wrong reasons? Whenever we do good things for our own glory instead of God's, it is wrong.

Judaism is about feeding the poor because they'll starve to death if you don't. Was your heart right place? Did you learn the right lessons? Never mind that, just feed those people or they'll die. This isn't Christianity which means we have work to do. You can worry about your personal relationship with God after everyone is well fed.

This is what Christians must do as well. I have mentioned what James said before, here is something else he said. "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you." We are called to help those in distress.

I'm not convinced of that, but okay. Suppose you are right. Doesn't make any difference at all. Keep the law anyway.

This is true. Jesus tells us, "Go, and sin no more." We give our daily repentance to God, for every day we fall short of his glory.

Grace? what Grace? I don't see any grace in this universe. Do the forces of nature show grace when you don't like the effects of your actions? No, not at all. You are always stuck with the effects of your action because this universe runs by cause and effect completely without grace.

This is news to me. Jews don't believe in a gracious God? It seems that every day on this earth is by the grace of God. Are we entitled to this life, and all our blessings; do you think God owes this much to us? Aren't we instead undeserving of it all, having sinned and fallen short of God's glory? Yet God gives us this gift, and more. He gives us salvation through Jesus. How can he not be gracious?

Try relying on grace for the poor to get fed. Try relying on grace for the naked to be clothed or for the imprisoned to be ministered to. Oops, it doesn't quite work, does it. That's because you cant just conjure up resources out of thin air with grace. What's required is action, you actually doing it, keeping the law. If no one keeps the law, then it doesn't get done and no amount of clinging to the fiction of grace has ever changed that in the least.

Why would I rely on grace for the poor to be fed? Aren't we showing the poor that God is gracious? For he appoints us to take care of the poor. Isn't God gracious for appointing the poor as the blessed ones who will be first in his kingdom? Jesus made it clear that not a single poor person of God's people will be left uncomforted. He who is first on this earth will be last, and he who is last will be first.

No, this is demonstrably entirely false in that Christianity, not Judaism is the dominant religion and is so because we would rather have salvation given to us without having done anything at all to earn it. And since it is entirely free, why do anything at all. Just relax and be a Christian because Jesus already did it all.

My friend, don't you know that even in the Church there are those who keep on living as if they have to earn God's grace? It is puzzling indeed; why is grace so hard to accept?

Come now, I am surprised by your words here. In honesty, you don't sound like you care about God at all. You speak as if all that matters is obeying the rules so you can earn that which you deserve. But what about God? I am talking about who he is, his loving, gracious, wondrous nature. Don't you desire to know this God, to understand him? If we truly believe that he has graciously given us salvation, why would we simply do nothing at all? Rather, aren't we obligated to spread this Good News, to let all know of this glorious God who has given us salvation? Are you saying you would not do any of this if you were a Christian?

With the grace of God, we are no longer burdened by trying to earn our salvation. Instead we seek to know God more deeply, and to do his good and perfect will.

Except for he didn't. People are still hurting, starving, dying, being oppressed by tyrants, you name it someone is suffering from it and no one is doing anything to stop it because Jesus already did it all.

My friend, don't you know that salvation is coming? Every tear will be wiped away, every wrong will be made right. God will pay back the wicked for what is due. Jesus said there will be suffering, he did not hide this. But we are to take heart, for Jesus has overcome the world. This means that through him we will overcome the suffering in this world. If we share in Jesus' eternal life through his sacrifice, we must also share in his suffering here on earth.

Except for if you sin against me, I still suffer the consequences for that and Jesus' death on the cross didn't change that at all. And so you will not be forgiven, I will seek justice against you (read my signature). And so you are still under the law and if you sin, you are still under the Judgement of the law. So what exactly was it that Jesus changed?

See my above comment on your suffering. What Jesus has changed is the way we handle sin. We no longer inflict harsh punishment, but prescribe forgiveness. That is the core of the new covenant: forgiveness. "Go, and sin no more." We are called to forgive each other as many times as we repent to each other. Just as God forgave us of our sins through Jesus' sacrifice, so we are to forgive each other.

If the family is to be repaired as a family, the individual people that make up the family must first be repaired and sometimes the best way to do that is to separate them from each other for a while so they can heal without being effected by each others sickness. You seem to be suggesting to just throw one more person into the mess to be infected by everyones' sickness and I just don't see that working.

Ah, here is something interesting! This is much like how the Pharisees viewed sinners. They separated themselves from the sinners, they saw them as filthy and infected, and would not dare be with them. But Jesus did not do this. Rather, with the healing power of God he plunged himself into the filth and scum, and made those sinners clean. And the Pharisees hated Jesus because he did this! Where is the faith in God, where is the compassion? Don't you see, this is how those people in your Church treated you! They were like Pharisees! But the Gospel is not about separating those dirty people from the clean. God calls us on his behalf to go among the filthy and make them clean.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
B

Beautiful Ignorance

He is a Jewish singer and he is praising God, singing about how much he loves Jerusalem. I thought you would enjoy it. Matisyahu sings a lot about love for God and people and not so much about craming religions down peoples throats. He has many enjoyable songs I think you will enjoy.

I did enjoy it. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Aeneas

Oct 22, 2011
✟1,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
<staff edit>

The context of 1 Corinthians 5 is that there is a man in Corinth in an openly incestuous relationship and nobody bothered to do anything about it or consider it a problem. The context of Matthew 2 is that we are all sinners. The difference is that some are repentant and some are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hakan101
Upvote 0