If you reject the LDS message...

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I have read your response, but want to focus on this, which is where I derived the idea of the "list" being a burden in the first place. I hope you will be able to see that from your own words I derive that idea, and it is no underhanded attempt to distort your words, as you continue to put forward. Your statement:
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The reason this concerns me is that (a) once again, you totally misconstrued what I had said, and (b) in the LDS church, although – just to take the example you mentioned – you wouldn't harp on your son all day, every day about preparing himself to receive the priesthood, you certainly would encourage him and make certain that when the day came, he would be ready. Then you would encourage him to fulfill his priesthood duties regularly and faithfully, and eventually be ready to receive the Melchizedek priesthood and then serve a mission, and then be married in the temple and then serve in the church for the rest of his life, etc., etc., etc. - just like dear old Dad. All of the above, whether you want to admit it out loud or not, requires constant effort, on your part and his. If you are not feeling that obligation, then yes, I worry about you, because the church makes it abundantly clear that it is in fact your obligation and that there is no wiggle-room if you are going to be considered worthy. And WORTHY is the word that literally rules in the LDS church; it is the word with which they rule your life. Please tell me you'll think about that, long and hard.[/FONT]
Constant effort, under fear of being counted unworthy by those who rule my life—that is a burden. And it is not my life in the LDS faith. This is where I get and originally got the idea. It is no distortion of your words; it is the very thing they imply. This is what you said earlier:

What we do have a problem with is for Joseph Smith - or any other would-be prophet - to come along and change the plain and precious scriptures and change the very rules and requirements for eternal life, adding layer upon complicated layer of commandments, laws and ordinances along the way, and then tell us that oh-by-the-way, if we don't keep ALL these extraneous requirements, we are banned forever from our Father's kingdom. Um...I don't think so.
Simple is easy. Complicated is burdensome. Are you not saying that Mormonism's "layer upon complicated layer of commandments" is a burden to bear? Are you not saying that in the LDS church it is a royal pain in the neck to get to heaven? Is that not what you're saying? If it is not, then I truly have misunderstood. And it is, as I have stated, a sincere misunderstanding, not some calculated attempt to twist your words.

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Here's a nice zinger, from your Post 181: So in my life, I do not consider the Restored Gospel, and what God through it requires of me, a burdensome list of spiritual busiwork. I understand both the doctrines of the Gospel, and their intended effect upon my soul. I understand the atonement of Christ, and how it affords me all that I am and can become. And I understand my Father, and can see in the Restored Gospel his love for me and all mankind, and the perfection with which he deals with us all. And so I enjoy serving God and laboring for Him in the Gospel. All I can do at this point is hope that you will see why I do not believe the Restoration is a burden. Here we have a perfect example of why I have now identified you with the other LDS posters, with whom I am now no longer communicating – for this very reason. “Iunderstand the atonement of Christ...” meaning, of course that your understanding of it is oh-so-inferior (and don't EVEN try to tell me I'm wrong, because in my own LDS thinking I had the same holier-than-thou mentality). “I understand my Father...” meaning, of course, that your own non-LDS understanding of Him is vastly inferior. “I enjoy serving God and laboring for Him...” meaning, of course, that you couldn't possibly, with your woefully inferior understanding.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]No. Here you are dead wrong. Dead wrong. When I say "my understanding," I am expressly doing so to allow others to view my words as my opinion, so that there is no mistake that what I am saying is "my understanding." If I say, "God is this way..." with no qualifiers, the door to good dialogue is closed because I have presented my opinion as fact. If I say, "I believe God is this way..." or "I understand that God is this way..." the discussion is open-ended because you can disagree without disputing a presented fact. You can say, "Well that's great but I understand God this way, and here's why..."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]No arrogance. No condescension. Misunderstood courtesy.[/FONT]

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I missed this.

While I have no objection to the claim of preservation, the problem is that preservation doesn't reach back quite far enough. Bible manuscripts can be verified back to the 3rd Century A.D., but no further. And most, if not all, of the references by the early Church writers which indicate that corruption of the scriptures was taking place, describe those activities in the 2nd Century or before. So the evidence needed to verify that what has been preserved in existing manuscripts is actually what was originally written does not exist. So the evidence you request of me is the same evidence I would request of you, at least as pertaining to the original works.

However, John Gee has researched and written a good article highlighting the various evidences that do exist which support the claim that existing scriptures (including the earliest manuscripts) would not match (in some ways significantly) the original penned or oral works. Rather than regurgitate his work, you can read it here: Early Christians in Disarray: Contemporary LDS Perspectives on the Christian Apostasy - The Corruption of Scripture in Early Christianity

Let me know if this satisfies your request.

You know, I read the article, and it just doesn't seem to be offering any conclusions. The table (which makes up most of the article) has no indications as to what the column headings indicate for us to be able to understand what the purposes of the notations within it mean. The text portion of the article seems to discuss everything but the Bible, and suggests that if it happened to (distantly related) texts, that it must be that the same thing happened with the Bible. I mean, the ECFs not agreeing doesn't mean that the text of the Bible has been altered. Likewise, just because some texts were accepted by some at one point in time, doesn't mean that they were accepted by all, or that they are scripture. If it were the case, then that would mean that we'd need to accept writings like The Chronicles of Narnia as scripture, merely because a person who is considered a theologian wrote them trying to express (to children) the story of the Bible. I mean, the story is highly moving and definitely spiritual, but if I quoted it to someone as scripture, I'd get laughed at.

The one section that did quote a passage from the Bible out of the KJV and a modern text to demonstrate the differences between the various interpretations of the Biblical texts does not demonstrate a change or alteration in the Bible, merely in the interpretation of it. That is a separate issue. Changes in interpretation does not = change in the Bible because all versions are still translated from the original sources, and those sources don't change.

But all this is really beside the point. When we examine the statement made by Joseph Smith, we have to interpret it as he meant it. His comment was that the Bible was not translated from texts that preserved the original writings as they were originally written, and he attempted to change verses, added whole passages, etc., to reflect what he believed the Bible originally looked like. As we examine the evidence that we have, maybe not the originals, but texts that date further and further back, we find no attempts to alter/add/delete the texts in the manner JS described. There is nothing that even remotely resembles the story of Enoch (much to my heart's sorrow). There is nothing that even remotely suggests that the changes he made in the NT texts, which greatly alters doctrine, took place.

That is the kind of evidence I feel that needs to be presented. We all know that, historically, there were disagreements between the ECFs and between the ECFs and the leaders of other groups that were considered heretical, etc.

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You know, I read the article, and it just doesn't seem to be offering any conclusions.
Well this is his conclusion. Take out his references to Nephi and his writings, and everything else he verified in his research:
"In viewing the state of Christian scripture in the second century, we have not, generally, had to rely on scholarly interpretation or writers later than the early third century to detect a large shift in the concept and content of scripture in the second century. The books that were considered scripture, and some of the content of those books, changed from the beginning to the end of the century. During the second century various fragmentary groups of Christians accused other groups of having changed the texts to fit their own ideas. These changes took the form of deletions, some additions, and the redefining of the text. What the angel told Nephi is largely supported by what remains of early Christian literature. To the second century, if not before, we may trace the corruption of scripture and the loss of the plain and precious things, and it is worth noting that none of the extant Greek manuscripts dates before that time period. We cannot look to scholarship to restore the plain and precious portions of the text that were lost. If it is not revealed again we shall never have it. Early Christians in Disarray: Contemporary LDS Perspectives on the Christian Apostasy - The Corruption of Scripture in Early Christianity
The table (which makes up most of the article) has no indications as to what the column headings indicate for us to be able to understand what the purposes of the notations within it mean.
I believe it is showing which sections of the Bible are had today in manuscript form, and in which century those manuscripts have been dated to have originated.

The text portion of the article seems to discuss everything but the Bible, and suggests that if it happened to (distantly related) texts, that it must be that the same thing happened with the Bible.
Well, no. The works cited clearly showed that manipulation (sometimes intentional, sometimes not) was occurring to the Bible, or to those documents in circulation which eventually would become the Bible. That's precisely what the early Christian writers were saying—that people were changing the writings of the Apostles to suit their whims, and the Jews were changing the Old Testament to eliminate references supporting the crucifixion of Jesus. Justin Martyr came right out and said that the Jews had were removing what supported Christian doctrine. What the citations do not show is whether or not those very manipulated documents ever were incorporated into the Biblical canon. Chances are good that those specific ones were not. Again, the actual evidence to support either position is not had by anyone.

I mean, the ECFs not agreeing doesn't mean that the text of the Bible has been altered.
And it doesn't mean that it wasn't.
Likewise, just because some texts were accepted by some at one point in time, doesn't mean that they were accepted by all, or that they are scripture.
And it doesn't mean that they weren't.
If it were the case, then that would mean that we'd need to accept writings like The Chronicles of Narnia as scripture, merely because a person who is considered a theologian wrote them trying to express (to children) the story of the Bible. I mean, the story is highly moving and definitely spiritual, but if I quoted it to someone as scripture, I'd get laughed at.
LOL. I wouln't laugh at you. But the point being made was not these things HAD been incorporated into the Bible. That is not provable. It was to show that changes were made, and were being made, and that they were not isolated to only one splinter group. Even the branch that became the "main" church was accused of these activities.

The one section that did quote a passage from the Bible out of the KJV and a modern text to demonstrate the differences between the various interpretations of the Biblical texts does not demonstrate a change or alteration in the Bible, merely in the interpretation of it. That is a separate issue. Changes in interpretation does not = change in the Bible because all versions are still translated from the original sources, and those sources don't change.
Acutally, I believe it showed the effect of changing the meaning of a word in the text, and how drastic an effect such a thing would have on interpretation. The words must be interpreted in order for them to have meaning. That is inescapable. There is no comprehension without interpretation. (Interpret: make sense of; assign meaning to). From the article:
"Between the time of writing the New Testament and the end of the second century, the meanings of several of the words changed. Examples include the change of the principle meanings of pistis from "collateral, guarantee" to "belief;" of pisteuein from "to trust, rely on; entrust, commit, put up collateral" to "to believe;" of homologein from "to agree to terms, accept an agreement, enter into a legal contract, promise" to "to confess;" of mysterion from "(initation) rite" to "secret." Such changes in language are common in all languages and in all periods, some deliberate and some not. The Christians, like the Jews before them, used the Greek language in an idiosyncratic way that seemed strange to non-Christians around them. For example, both Christians and Jews used the term ouranoi "heavens", the plural of ouranos "sky", as a term for the dwelling place of God, even though Greeks never used the term in the plural. In the second century, however, various sects of Christianity began to redefine terminology to mean something different. Irenaeus claims that the Valentinians adopted pagan fables "changing . . . the names of the things referred to" to fit into Christian scripture. Because the New Testament is usually read with meanings of the second sophistic period and later—meanings which have often changed—the understanding of the text has sometimes been drastically changed."
But all this is really beside the point. When we examine the statement made by Joseph Smith, we have to interpret it as he meant it. His comment was that the Bible was not translated from texts that preserved the original writings as they were originally written, and he attempted to change verses, added whole passages, etc., to reflect what he believed the Bible originally looked like. As we examine the evidence that we have, maybe not the originals, but texts that date further and further back, we find no attempts to alter/add/delete the texts in the manner JS described. There is nothing that even remotely resembles the story of Enoch (much to my heart's sorrow). There is nothing that even remotely suggests that the changes he made in the NT texts, which greatly alters doctrine, took place.

That is the kind of evidence I feel that needs to be presented. We all know that, historically, there were disagreements between the ECFs and between the ECFs and the leaders of other groups that were considered heretical, etc.

I agree. The evidence that will put nails in the coffin of either position is wholly lacking. No one has it. That is why I don't put so much stock in proving Bible Manuscripts. All that you can prove is that the manuscript is like others, that it was copied when it claims to be copied, by whom it claimed to be copied. What no one can verify is what any single manuscript, or the composite of them (which are not identical), has been copied from, or that it (or they) were copied correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I mean, the ECFs not agreeing doesn't mean that the text of the Bible has been altered.
And it doesn't mean that it wasn't.
Likewise, just because some texts were accepted by some at one point in time, doesn't mean that they were accepted by all, or that they are scripture.
And it doesn't mean that they weren't.

All that this shows, though, is that you can't prove a negative. It also shows that you (all) are basing your beliefs on a position of silence, not only in the Bible, but historically, as well. That is not a good position to base anything on, TBH.

<snip>

Acutally, I believe it showed the effect of changing the meaning of a word in the text, and how drastic an effect such a thing would have on interpretation. The words must be interpreted in order for them to have meaning. That is inescapable. There is no comprehension without interpretation. (Interpret: make sense of; assign meaning to). From the article:
"Between the time of writing the New Testament and the end of the second century, the meanings of several of the words changed. Examples include the change of the principle meanings of pistis from "collateral, guarantee" to "belief;" of pisteuein from "to trust, rely on; entrust, commit, put up collateral" to "to believe;" of homologein from "to agree to terms, accept an agreement, enter into a legal contract, promise" to "to confess;" of mysterion from "(initation) rite" to "secret." Such changes in language are common in all languages and in all periods, some deliberate and some not. The Christians, like the Jews before them, used the Greek language in an idiosyncratic way that seemed strange to non-Christians around them. For example, both Christians and Jews used the term ouranoi "heavens", the plural of ouranos "sky", as a term for the dwelling place of God, even though Greeks never used the term in the plural. In the second century, however, various sects of Christianity began to redefine terminology to mean something different. Irenaeus claims that the Valentinians adopted pagan fables "changing . . . the names of the things referred to" to fit into Christian scripture. Because the New Testament is usually read with meanings of the second sophistic period and later&#8212;meanings which have often changed&#8212;the understanding of the text has sometimes been drastically changed."

And we see the same thing continuing to happen with the LDS redefining words to try to incorporate their beliefs into mainstream words. I guess what goes around, comes around.

I agree. The evidence that will put nails in the coffin of either position is wholly lacking. No one has it. That is why I don't put so much stock in proving Bible Manuscripts. All that you can prove is that the manuscript is like others, that it was copied when it claims to be copied, by whom it claimed to be copied. What no one can verify is what any single manuscript, or the composite of them (which are not identical), have been copied from, or that they were copied correctly.

So we are back to the position of silence. We can prove that the manuscripts that were found, which have covered hundreds of years (thousands?), with very minor variations, agree with each other. And I think that that track record speaks volumes. You are basing an assertion that things were added/changed/deleted on what isn't being found. And, I presume, never will be.

Upvote 0

Moodshadow

Veteran
Jun 29, 2006
Flower Mound, TX
✟13,243.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]No. Here you are dead wrong. Dead wrong. When I say "my understanding," I am expressly doing so to allow others to view my words as my opinion, so that there is no mistake that what I am saying is "my understanding." If I say, "God is this way..." with no qualifiers, the door to good dialogue is closed because I have presented my opinion as fact. If I say, "I believe God is this way..." or "I understand that God is this way..." the discussion is open-ended because you can disagree without disputing a presented fact. You can say, "Well that's great but I understand God this way, and here's why..."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]No arrogance. No condescension. Misunderstood courtesy.[/FONT]

I can and will respond to this, but can't now and it may be a day or two. Just wanted you to know I'm not ignoring it. Stay tuned...

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Uh, I don't have to "read minds" (nice false witnessing there), I just have to read peoples WORDS.....

I can tell quite easily when someone is being degrading or a group and/or the people within it. But, you have your view and I have mine.

Indeed. However, you asserted that New Dawn's conversion was merely an intellectual change of her mind and not a spiritual conversion at all. How do you know for a fact that this is true?

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
All that this shows, though, is that you can't prove a negative. It also shows that you (all) are basing your beliefs on a position of silence, not only in the Bible, but historically, as well. That is not a good position to base anything on, TBH.
My beliefs are necessarily based on what material is available for me to consume. My testimony of truth is not. It is based on a witness from God which confirms that my beliefs are true. That is a very good position, to my understanding.

As for us "all," we do not base the Restoration on the silence of the Bible. We base it on the revelations given to our prophets. Those are anything but silent, which is why this sub-forum exists.

And we see the same thing continuing to happen with the LDS redefining words to try to incorporate their beliefs into mainstream words. I guess what goes around, comes around.
The actuality of the revlations of Joseph Smith are no more provable or disprovable than are the manuscripts of the Bible. The difference I detect when discussing this issue is that some will admit that they must eventually depend wholly on God for spiritual truth, while others will not admit that (I'm not saying that applies to you. It is a general observation about some). I believe it is foolish to pass the Restoration of as false based on evidence that does not exist, just as I would (were I a non-LDS Christian) feel it were foolish to pass Christianity off as false on the same premise.

So we are back to the position of silence. We can prove that the manuscripts that were found, which have covered hundreds of years (thousands?), with very minor variations, agree with each other. And I think that that track record speaks volumes. You are basing an assertion that things were added/changed/deleted on what isn't being found. And, I presume, never will be.
Two things here. There is little to no mention of scriptural corruption beyond the second century. Coincidentally, there have been little or no changes in the scriptural canon during that time (actually, I'm not sure of that... I'll have to research it). During the second century there is considerable mention of scriptural corruption, and yet there are no texts at all to verify it. Regardless of post-second-century track record, the entire crux of the matter rests in the second century. And it is lost.

The second thing is that there will come a time when the entire history of the earth is given to man, when from the rooftops will be shouted the secret acts of men. It is then that we will see what actually happened:
"And behold the book shall be sealed; and in the book shall be a revelation from God, from the beginning of the world to the ending thereof. Wherefore, because of the things which are sealed up, the things which are sealed shall not be delivered in the day of the wickedness and abominations of the people. Wherefore the book shall be kept from them. But the book shall be delivered unto a man, and he shall deliver the words of the book, which are the words of those who have slumbered in the dust, and he shall deliver these words unto aanother; But the words which are sealed he shall not deliver, neither shall he deliver the book. For the book shall be sealed by the power of God, and the revelation which was sealed shall be kept in the book until the own due time of the Lord, that they may come forth; for behold, they reveal all things from the foundation of the world unto the end thereof. And the day cometh that the words of the book which were sealed shall be read upon the house tops; and they shall be read by the power of Christ; and all things shall be revealed unto the children of men which ever have been among the children of men, and which ever will be even unto the end of the earth." (2 Ne. 27:7-11)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I can and will respond to this, but can't now and it may be a day or two. Just wanted you to know I'm not ignoring it. Stay tuned...
Please don't forget the other. That's actually the one I'm more interested in getting to the bottom of.

And take your time. This all can wait. Get to it when you get to it.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Here's a nice zinger, from your Post 181: So in my life, I do not consider the Restored Gospel, and what God through it requires of me, a burdensome list of spiritual busiwork. I understand both the doctrines of the Gospel, and their intended effect upon my soul. I understand the atonement of Christ, and how it affords me all that I am and can become. And I understand my Father, and can see in the Restored Gospel his love for me and all mankind, and the perfection with which he deals with us all. And so I enjoy serving God and laboring for Him in the Gospel. All I can do at this point is hope that you will see why I do not believe the Restoration is a burden. Here we have a perfect example of why I have now identified you with the other LDS posters, with whom I am now no longer communicating – for this very reason. “Iunderstand the atonement of Christ...” meaning, of course that your understanding of it is oh-so-inferior (and don't EVEN try to tell me I'm wrong, because in my own LDS thinking I had the same holier-than-thou mentality). “I understand my Father...” meaning, of course, that your own non-LDS understanding of Him is vastly inferior. “I enjoy serving God and laboring for Him...” meaning, of course, that you couldn't possibly, with your woefully inferior understanding. These are just a few examples of the hypocritical, sanctimonious attitude that generally pervades – and reeks – here.

That "holier than thou" attitude is what I experienced in the LDS church. I wanted to learn so I asked questions. I was told that I wouldn't have questions if I lived the gospel.(What did they think I was doing?) I was told that if I bore my testimony, it would grow. I was asked why I hadn't been to the temple, yet when I asked why we needed to go the temple and what it was about, and where could I read about it, everything was hush hush (which made no sense to me). It just so happens that I was temple worthy.

And WORTHY is the word that literally rules in the LDS church; it is the word with which they rule your life.

That also is true. I was very burdened with the fact that no matter how much you do, it isn't enough, yet people still jumped to the conclusion that I must somehow be unworthy because I asked questions and hadn't been to the temple. Did they want me to be disrespectful to my husband(LDS women are taught to honor their husbands) and tell them that he wasn't keeping the Word of Wisdom? He was good enough to serve in different callings, but not good enough for the temple. We were worthy of being work horses, but not worthy of respect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moodshadow

Veteran
Jun 29, 2006
Flower Mound, TX
✟13,243.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That "holier than thou" attitude is what I experienced in the LDS church. I wanted to learn so I asked questions. I was told that I wouldn't have questions if I lived the gospel.(What did they think I was doing?) Whoever told you that was WAY off-base. Even the most faithful Latter-day Saints in the world still have questions, for Pete's sake, and never stop learning - or shouldn't, anyway. I was told that if I bore my testimony, it would grow. Bearing your testimony - and I assume that means out loud, in a public situation - serves the dual purpose of reinforcing your own faith and that of those who hear you. Since I've been out of the church, I've realized it serves a third purpose, and that is to keep the constant drill going, for yourself and others. When you hear it so often, it becomes a part of your very psyche, and they know that. I was asked why I hadn't been to the temple, yet when I asked why we needed to go the temple and what it was about, and where could I read about it, everything was hush hush (which made no sense to me). It just so happens that I was temple worthy. The pressure to go will always be there, for all members, and no matter what anyone says, there is a certain stigma felt by unendowed members - that feeling of not quite measuring up somehow. I know that because of more than one sister who confided in me when I was in the RS presidency. As for the "sacred vs secret" thing, that's pretty much moot these days, since the Internet makes it possible to see the text of the endowment ceremony in its entirety now. But that doesn't keep the church from insisting that members not discuss any part of the ceremony, and probably never will. Husbands and wives can't even discuss it in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

I was very burdened with the fact that no matter how much you do, it isn't enough, yet people still jumped to the conclusion that I must somehow be unworthy because I asked questions and hadn't been to the temple. Did they want me to be disrespectful to my husband(LDS women are taught to honor their husbands) and tell them that he wasn't keeping the Word of Wisdom? He was good enough to serve in different callings, but not good enough for the temple. We were worthy of being work horses, but not worthy of respect.
I totally understand! My mother-in-law was married to a non-member, and although she herself was the most faithful member you could ever imagine, she was not allowed to the temple for her own endowment, or to go to her son's temple endowment or wedding. (That changed later, with the announcement of a new policy from Salt Lake.) She got a job so she could pay tithing; she wore the same kind of clothing that temple-endowed people had to wear; she worked hours and hours a week preparing to teach classes; she never missed doing her visiting teaching. All of this caused constant contention with her resentful husband, and she did it anyway. But for all those years she was considered unworthy because she had married a non-member. Blech.

Upvote 0

mormonheretic

Apr 20, 2010
✟15,166.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me we've now abandoned the OP. Did the issues debate get too hot and uncomfortable, and we're now focusing on personal attacks against anonymous Mormons with "holier than thou" attitudes? Blech. (Not surprised--as that is what I thought the OP was about all along--now you've confirmed it.)

Funny how I was lectured that we weren't supposed to get into character assassination, but it seems to be ok if you're merely gossiping about people who don't happen to participate in the forum. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

Well, it was nice to participate for a while. I think I'll be off to someplace else with less gossip and tabloid-style religious talk. Thanks for the "fun" times all.

Upvote 0

Moodshadow

Veteran
Jun 29, 2006
Flower Mound, TX
✟13,243.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me we've now abandoned the OP. Did the issues debate get too hot and uncomfortable, and we're now focusing on personal attacks against anonymous Mormons with "holier than thou" attitudes? Blech. (Not surprised--as that is what I thought the OP was about all along--now you've confirmed it.)

Funny how I was lectured that we weren't supposed to get into character assassination, but it seems to be ok if you're merely gossiping about people who don't happen to participate in the forum. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

Well, it was nice to participate for a while. I think I'll be off to someplace else with less gossip and tabloid-style religious talk. Thanks for the "fun" times all.

I'm sorry if my response to Phoebe Ann offended you, and I suppose that you are right in that it could be closer to the original topic, for which I also apologize. I've heard plenty of general authority talks on the subject of hypocrisy, so in a way I'd say it's a part of the "LDS message," too. But please don't go away. I'll shut up about it now, and you can carry on - again, with my apology.

Upvote 0

Obiwan

Jul 19, 2006
✟2,176.00
Faith
Mormon
You chose to criticize my testimony, not any argument I made against mormonism. My testimony is that God told me it is wrong. It is not your place to tell me that what God told me is wrong.

Is that kinda like "it's not YOUR PLACE" to tell US what God has told us is wrong, or actually what is right most usually???

Hey I'm debating, giving you guys things to think about when you make certain comments. You make the comments, you shouldn't expect them to not be commented on.

Upvote 0

Obiwan

Jul 19, 2006
✟2,176.00
Faith
Mormon
Indeed. However, you asserted that New Dawn's conversion was merely an intellectual change of her mind and not a spiritual conversion at all. How do you know for a fact that this is true?

Yes and no..... I first addressed someones views on mormonism, because they claimed it was "Christ" giving them those views on mormonism, then Dawn, something similar. But, with her, it was clear how her thinking patterns started to change, and then only later was her beliefs in Christ only "spiritual" related.

I'm simply saying that people should realize that their "relationship" with Christ doesn't necessarily mean he sustains whatever intellectual viewpoint that person believes. An example of this point is that she and others who leave mormonism claim to have only "found Christ" "after" leaving mormonism, and that since that occured they falsely believe that makes mormonism flawed and false. That is actually a common theme among those who leave the Church. The problem with that idea is that there are PLENTY of those within the Church who "also find Christ".

So, my point is that having a relationship and knowing Christ and His Spirit does not and never has translated into "knowing the truth". Certainly it can help alot..... But, Christ is beyond the intellect...... His Light and/or His spirit is in all who seek it and/or seek Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RufustheRed

Disabled Veteran
Jan 29, 2004
✟10,582.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sorry I missed this.

While I have no objection to the claim of preservation, the problem is that preservation doesn't reach back quite far enough. Bible manuscripts can be verified back to the 3rd Century A.D., but no further. And most, if not all, of the references by the early Church writers which indicate that corruption of the scriptures was taking place, describe those activities in the 2nd Century or before. So the evidence needed to verify that what has been preserved in existing manuscripts is actually what was originally written does not exist. So the evidence you request of me is the same evidence I would request of you, at least as pertaining to the original works.

However, John Gee has researched and written a good article highlighting the various evidences that do exist which support the claim that existing scriptures (including the earliest manuscripts) would not match (in some ways significantly) the original penned or oral works. Rather than regurgitate his work, you can read it here: Early Christians in Disarray: Contemporary LDS Perspectives on the Christian Apostasy - The Corruption of Scripture in Early Christianity

Let me know if this satisfies your request.

Thank you for sharing this, but I must ask: (1) Is this gentleman, John Gee, LDS? (2) Presuming that he is (based on the institute he is writing for), should we consider his writings without bias? (3) Was he predisposed to the conclusion before he started the investigation? (4) Was not this article written for the membership of your church?

I guess you know that by bringing up the questions, I feel that there just might be legitimacy to the questions. Would you not question the same article if it was written by someone like Walter Martin, or the Tanners?

Hope that you have a nice week-end?

Rufus :wave:

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Is that kinda like "it's not YOUR PLACE" to tell US what God has told us is wrong, or actually what is right most usually???

Hey I'm debating, giving you guys things to think about when you make certain comments. You make the comments, you shouldn't expect them to not be commented on.

And I appreciate the new you. :hug:

When we talk about testimonies/experiences, it is hard to tell someone that they didn't experience what they said they experienced. You telling me I'm wrong because I've "intellectualized" it, is just your way of saying you don't accept it, but instead of putting it on yourself, the way it should be, you are trying to put your refusal of it back on me. That's just wrong. When you relate a testimony-ish sort of thing, I have never said "I don't think you experienced anything like that, you've just talked yourself into believing it" because I can't see into your heart/mind to know what you've experienced.

Does that explain it any better?

Upvote 0

Obiwan

Jul 19, 2006
✟2,176.00
Faith
Mormon
Thank you for sharing this, but I must ask: (1) Is this gentleman, John Gee, LDS? (2) Presuming that he is (based on the institute he is writing for), should we consider his writings without bias? (3) Was he predisposed to the conclusion before he started the investigation? (4) Was not this article written for the membership of your church?

John Gee is LDS, but he is also a Professional well published Egyptologist. And since John is LDS, he has an interest in looking for "evidence" of Restoration claims. Why do you assume there is some "bad bias" there??? He is a professional scholar who does pear reviewed work. Non-LDS scholars don't have anything to do with mormonism, so why would you expect their conclusions on LDS SUBJECTS to be "better" then someone who has experience and "specifically" researched LDS subjects???

Are you aware of who has done the MOST research on the Bible especially the first 2000 years??? Christians and Jews. Do you also discount "their" scholarship so willingly simply because they are Christian or Jewish???

I guess you know that by bringing up the questions, I feel that there just might be legitimacy to the questions. Would you not question the same article if it was written by someone like Walter Martin, or the Tanners?

Walter Martin and the Tanners are not Professional Egytologists..... They are experts in bearing false witness of mormonism, using a little truth to tell great lies. So, you simply can't compare....

Let me give you an example..... A standard Egyptologist (including LDS ones) would and have translated the BOA Facsimiles according to the most common known translations of the subject matter. Now, what John Gee and others have done, is they have researched "further" into the subjects to see if there is any evidence for the BOA and for the way "Joseph" translated things. Now, I ask you, is this something a standard Egyptologist who has nothing to do with mormonism does? No, it is not. So, in that exploration, John Gee and others using their expertise have in fact found "many" evidences of the BOA as well as several instances of "translations" that are EXACTLY how Joseph translated the things.

In other words, "bias" is irrelevant to the matter..... The FACTS simply exist. There exists historical examples of exactly how Joseph translated some of the Facsimiles. It's an either or thing, the evidence is either there, or it is not, and since it is there, bias simply doesn't enter into it.

Make sense??? And stop with the hypocracy..... Study and compare things out for yourself instead of simply prejudging them and remaining ignorant. :( This isn't philosophy and opinion, it's the "tangible" pure sciences...... It's the kind of stuff anti-mormons always claim don't exist for mormonism, when in fact a lot does.

Upvote 0

Obiwan

Jul 19, 2006
✟2,176.00
Faith
Mormon
And I appreciate the new you. :hug:

When we talk about testimonies/experiences, it is hard to tell someone that they didn't experience what they said they experienced. You telling me I'm wrong because I've "intellectualized" it, is just your way of saying you don't accept it, but instead of putting it on yourself, the way it should be, you are trying to put your refusal of it back on me. That's just wrong. When you relate a testimony-ish sort of thing, I have never said "I don't think you experienced anything like that, you've just talked yourself into believing it" because I can't see into your heart/mind to know what you've experienced.

Does that explain it any better?

I understand, I'm just giving folks something to think about in relation to the heart and to the intellect.....

Upvote 0

SoftSpoken

Jan 4, 2010
✟1,286.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

1) Yes.
2) Well, I think you ought to read the article yourself, look up the references and read them in context. Then you can decide for yourself whether or not his article is biased.
3) I'm pretty sure he was looking for what he found.
4) No idea. He doesn't say. I imagine it appeals more to LDS members than to, say... Catholics, though. :)

Peace and blessings Rufus.

Upvote 0