If you could remove one evil from the world

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Say that, purely hypothetically, you can change the world so that one evil will be removed, but otherwise it will stay the same. So you can choose to remove war, murder, rape, theft, etc.

What would you choose and why?
Ignorance.

If everyone possessed perfect wisdom and knowledge, nobody would ever act in unskillfulness.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Say that, purely hypothetically, you can change the world so that one evil will be removed, but otherwise it will stay the same. So you can choose to remove war, murder, rape, theft, etc.

Greed.

I suspect that if one were to do an in depth study on the components of the various evils in the world, one would find that greed would be the most often recorded component.

Removing greed from the world certainly would not remove all evil from the world, but it would surely lessen the impact of the evils which remained.

Divine Love...the self-sacrificing Love that Jesus taught...seems to be completely devoid of greed. When one reads in I Corinthians 13 how Paul describes Love, it is difficult to find any aspect of greed.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"unbelief"

So no one would be condemned today, already, and throughout up to judgment day.

Of course, if "unbelief" were gone,
A LOT would change in every place. Basically NOTHING would "stay the same" anywhere!

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I would remove lying. Now you have an honest world, where if crimes occur you can at least be honest about them. Everyone knows who is doing what, because everyone is 100% honest. You know motives. Nothing is false or deliberately hidden or deceptive.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
lol, I could make you use that word. I might have to go to prison for doing it, but I could. (Thankfully, I've never been that desperate to win an argument. :))

Ignorance of what?

Ignorance of man's evil nature (that would be my answer to the OP).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Satan. The world would be paradise without him, and it will be soon once he is gone. :)

But every 'good' story line needs a villain. Without 'Satan', one could effectively argue the Bible stops at Genesis ;-)

To answer the OP...

It depends one how one defines 'evil'..... To a devout theist, 'evil' may very well mean the absence of a 'god.'

To a non-believer, the definition might mean whatever that individual detests the most, (for whatever subjective reason they despise as such).

Sorry, I guess I did not answer the question :)

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Separation from God’s Spirit. That’s what causes all the wickedness anyway.

So a sinner, (that of which also included wickedness), whom believes in God/Yahweh, is not and does not perform 'wickedness'?

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Disbelief in Jesus Christ. The world would be a much better place :)

How so, if Jesus condones/allows slavery (for life), advocates for inequality of women (or) misogyny (simply due to their gender), and detests homosexuality (and states no absolute reason)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Superstition/gullibility in all its forms.

It inflicts tremendous harm on humanity with all kinds of bad consequences.
We'ld instantly be getting rid of hate crimes, religious terrorists, quackery like fortune tellers and horoscopes, "alternative medicine" like homeopathy which does nothing, naive voters who go along with whatever populists have to say, people thinking they know better then experts on just about subject because they read some blogpost somewhere,...

The world would instantly be a MUCH better place, with far less hate and war.

• Agree
Reactions: cvanwey
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How so, if Jesus condones/allows slavery (for life), advocates for inequality of women (or) misogyny (simply due to their gender), and detests homosexuality (and states no absolute reason)?

One reason is because everyone would understand the truth. Unfortunately I don’t have time to explain. Slavery was to pay back a debt owed and was limited to a maximum of 7 years.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh, you got that right, cvanwey! ^_^

I fully agree. There is nothing that reveals our selfish nature better than our behavior behind the wheel on the nations highways. What should be a relaxing drive turns you into a nervous wreck.

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0