Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That was Moses telling the Israelites not to test God, when they had seen all the miracles that he had performed in Egypt, at the Red Sea and since! Context, context, context.
It is not a command that no one can ask God to answer their prayer, or whatever. Besides, in the accounts I have read, the Lord has indeed answered their prayer and helped them as asked - so he couldn't have had a problem with their doing this. It was the person in question who did not keep their part of the bargain; not God.

It is a command that also applies to us, even Jesus Christ cited this commandment when Satan tested him and told him to throw himself, yet Jesus recited this commandment, "you will not test the LORD your God". Anyone who tests God to try to get him to prove himself is sinning. If you call on the name of God, it is knowing that he is, and trusting him already, yet you call on him in complete desperation knowing that you are a sinner pleading for the mercy of God, not to get him to prove himself to you. That is wicked.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That is the exact definition of calling on the name of God, "God, be merciful to me a sinner!" Anyone who calls on the name of God in complete desperation admitting that they are a sinner and needs the mercy of God has the right attitude.
So, at which point does God say, "Finally, you have cried out enough for mercy, and did many many things for many many years; here, I finally give you the Spirit."

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
So, at which point does the God say, "Finally, you have cried out enough for mercy, and did many many things for many many years; here, I finally give you the Spirit."

You also need to humble yourself if you cry out to him, otherwise he will resist you, hence, "The LORD resists the proud, but gives favor to the humble". Humbling yourself means selling off properties and possessions. Just as they did in the early churches and how Jesus Christ instructed, "go and sell everything that you have, and follow me". That is true humbling of yourself.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
You also need to humble yourself if you cry out to him, otherwise he will resist you, hence, "The LORD resists the proud, but gives favor to the humble". Humbling yourself means selling off properties and possessions. Just as they did in the early churches and how Jesus Christ instructed, "go and sell everything that you have, and follow me". That is true humbling of yourself.

If that is the case why have you still got your computer? Why not sell it and everything else you own?

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
So in yoir view, is one reauired to be descended from the twelvd tribes of Israel in order to be saved?

Not many know their own lineage, so it is not of importance in terms of following Jesus Christ. You concern yourself with following the Lord, and let God concern himself with how your lineage is somehow traced back to Abraham.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So, if I put my stuff on Craigslist, will I be filled with the Spirit? or does there need to be an actual transaction?

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,117.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Not many know their own lineage, so it is not of importance in terms of following Jesus Christ. You concern yourself with following the Lord, and let God concern himself with how your lineage is somehow traced back to Abraham.

So, in other words, "yes."

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If that is the case why have you still got your computer? Why not sell it and everything else you own?

My computer is my livelihood, I am a software engineer. Paul was a tentmaker, was he to sell his tools to make tents? No. We are all called to humble ourselves by selling off material possessions, yet each will humble themselves in different measures, some will sell off everything that they own, and become as apostles going city to city, house to house, for the sake of the gospel, and others will reduce themselves to just merely renting their homes, and having very few necessary things around the house.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟628,559.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
My family comes from a line of Jews that migrated from Spain, so yes, I am of the line of Abraham, but I do not know which tribe I descend from, but I am also a gentile, as I am mixed with other ethnicities.
Cool...

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
So, if I put my stuff on Craigslist, will I be filled with the Spirit? or does there need to be an actual transaction?

You shouldn't mock the command of God to humble yourself and the teachings of Jesus Christ to humble yourself. This is exactly why it is said, "But people who aren't spiritual can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it", hence why you mock, yet receiving the holy spirit is as simple as humility as I've described, and repentance, meaning stopping sinning. Once you do both these things, and call on God, he will hear you, otherwise he will ignore you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
My computer is my livelihood, I am a software engineer. Paul was a tentmaker, was he to sell his tools to make tents? No. We are all called to humble ourselves by selling off material possessions, yet each will humble themselves in different measures, some will sell off everything that they own, and become as apostles going city to city, house to house, for the sake of the gospel, and others will reduce themselves to just merely renting their homes, and having very few necessary things around the house.

Ok, fair enough

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I agree that one has to stop sinning but as we are 'human' and not 'Angels' it can be almost impossible to be perfect as has been said before, only Jesus is perfect. We can try our very best. Yes, we will fall on occasions. It is here that Jesus is there to pick us up. Again and again he will be there to pick us up;

Matthew 18:21-22
Forgiveness
21 Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.

Do you think that Jesus would also forgive us that many times? I 'know' he would.

Its having the firm belief that you will not sin again that is important. To be positive about it. But! God knows that we are not 'perfect' and will never be 'perfect' so he will always be there to pick us up and even carry us on those occasions where we failed yet again.

Matthew 5:47-48
47 And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

In other words, treat everyone the same! This is not telling us we have to be 100% perfect like God as that is 'IMPOSSIBLE'.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree that one has to stop sinning but as we are 'human' and not 'Angels' it can be almost impossible to be perfect as has been said before, only Jesus is perfect. We can try our very best. Yes, we will fall on occasions. It is here that Jesus is there to pick us up. Again and again he will be there to pick us up;

Matthew 18:21-22
Forgiveness
21 Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.

Do you think that Jesus would also forgive us that many times? I 'know' he would.

Its having the firm belief that you will not sin again that is important. To be positive about it. But! God knows that we are not 'perfect' and will never be 'perfect' so he will always be there to pick us up and even carry us on those occasions where we failed yet again.

Matthew 5:47-48
47 And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

In other words, treat everyone the same! This is no telling us w have to be 100% perfect like God as that is 'IMPOSSIBLE'.

Let me ask you something buddy... are the angels that have not sinned perfect, yes or no?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Let me ask you something buddy... are the angels that have not sinned perfect, yes or no?

We are not angels and as to if they are perfect then only God would know that! God is Perfect. Only God knows how to attain to that level. Nobody is as perfect as God!

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟628,559.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That is the exact definition of calling on the name of God, "God, be merciful to me a sinner!" Anyone who calls on the name of God in complete desperation admitting that they are a sinner and needs the mercy of God has the right attitude.
But do you liken yourself to the tax collector?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
We are not angels and as to if they are perfect then only God would know that! God is Perfect. Only God knows how to attain to that level. Nobody is as perfect as God!

That wasn't the question. Are holy angels perfect, yes or no?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
That wasn't the question. Are holy angels perfect, yes or no?

I wouldn't know. Only God would know that. All i know is that 'God' is perfect my dear friend in Christ.

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
But do you liken yourself to the tax collector?

You don't know me, so I certainly of all people, have cried out before God in my shame as a sinner, as I have been probably the worst of the worst of sinners, in things that are even shameful to speak of, so yes, I have indeed shed my tears in my shame, yet after we come to repentance, we are all called to shepherd others so that they too, may come to this point of admitting they are sinners, and turn from their wicked ways. Now you people, all along, you have been resisting me concerning sin, saying that you can and will continue sinning. This is not repentance!

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I wouldn't know. Only God would know that. All i know is that 'God' is perfect my dear friend in Christ.

If you don't know the answer to this basic question, then clearly you don't know what perfection is. This is why you also don't understand how someone could be perfect, yet still reside in this corruptible body.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
You don't know me, so I certainly of all people, have cried out before God in my shame as a sinner, as I have been probably the worst of the worst of sinners, in things that are even shameful to speak of, so yes, I have indeed shed my tears in my shame, yet after we come to repentance, we are all called to shepherd others so that they too, may come to this point of admitting they are sinners, and turn from their wicked ways. Now you people, all along, you have been resisting me concerning sin, saying that you can and will continue sinning. This is not repentance!

Nobody has said on here that they will continue to sin! All we have said is that as 'Humans' we are prone to it. We are weak. We dont want to sin and pray we dont but if we do, we know that God is there to forgive us.

Upvote 0