If the Bible is infallible, why do so many Christians disagree on theology?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Given that I'm Catholic, my bias is obvious. Or it should be anyway.

Either way, this idea of individual/private interpretation has a clear and demonstrable history of division and confusion.
You do realize that much of Catholicism has that mixed in with it as well, don't you...?

And that that, was much of the reason or much of the start of many break-off's or branches from it, in the first place, don't you...?

God Bless!

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Given that I'm Catholic, my bias is obvious. Or it should be anyway.

Either way, this idea of individual/private interpretation has a clear and demonstrable history of division and confusion.
The Holy Spirit gives each individual Christian illumination of the scriptures!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If that’s true, why do Christians of good faith disagree with each other so vehemently?

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2018
Greenville
✟15,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
See title. See, like if it was just a thing here or thing there...this probably wouldn't bother me...but no, it's like on every single biblical teaching people are divided over...EVEN LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF....About the only one the vast majority of Christians agree on is Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected to save you from your sins...but after that...there is virtually no unity on theology...so how can anyone believe when nobody is sure of the correct belief, while still teaching it as flawless?

I've often wondered the same thing and think the answer is that people don't agree and divide because they don't possess true love and humility to look at scriptures together. Most have a false sense of superiority.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
YeshuaFan said:
If that’s true, why do Christians of good faith disagree with each other so vehemently?
The devil is able to deceive believers.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
YeshuaFan said:

The devil is able to deceive believers.
Does he deceive all believers? Only a few? Some more than others? Which Christian groups are most likely to be deceived? Which ones are least likely? Is it possible to disagree without being deceived?

Most of all, why is the devil seemingly content with deceiving people on small matters of doctrine rather than wholesale turning them against Christ?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Does he deceive all believers? Only a few? Some more than others?
I didn't give a number. That's not the point. The only point is that he does deceive believers. Which explains why the arguments get so "vehement".

Which Christian groups are most likely to be deceived? Which ones are least likely? Is it possible to disagree without being deceived?
Sure.

Most of all, why is the devil seemingly content with deceiving people on small matters of doctrine rather than wholesale turning them against Christ?
Because he is interested in disrupting believers in any way possible. Having them disagree vehemently is one of those ways.

And I never said he was "content w/ deceiving people on small matters". He also deceives believers are LARGE matters of doctrine, such as loss of salvation, works required for maintaining salvation, need for baptism for salvation, etc.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I didn't give a number. That's not the point. The only point is that he does deceive believers. Which explains why the arguments get so "vehement".

Sure.

Because he is interested in disrupting believers in any way possible. Having them disagree vehemently is one of those ways.

And I never said he was "content w/ deceiving people on small matters". He also deceives believers are LARGE matters of doctrine, such as loss of salvation, works required for maintaining salvation, need for baptism for salvation, etc.
Hm. Interesting.

I suppose the most obvious question is how do you know you’re not being deceived?

• Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hm. Interesting.

I suppose the most obvious question is how do you know you’re not being deceived?
By doing what the Bereans did. Search the Scriptures daily to see if what is being taught is true.

And I have found affirmation in the Scriptures for what I believe. I'm not a "one verse" guy. I can prove eternal security from 6 different passages. Add to that there isn't even one plainly and clearly stated verse about losing salvation. Bingo!

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By doing what the Bereans did. Search the Scriptures daily to see if what is being taught is true.

And I have found affirmation in the Scriptures for what I believe. I'm not a "one verse" guy. I can prove eternal security from 6 different passages. Add to that there isn't even one plainly and clearly stated verse about losing salvation. Bingo!

Not quite true. The prodigal son was saved and walked away as any of us can do. Bingo.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Cool , so the HS gives each person different illumination which causes chaos I see.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Bereans? You mean the people who accepted St. Paul's oral tradition after seeing that it harmonized with the Old Testament? IIRC, the episode with those Bereans took place after the Jewish leaders of Thessalonica abided by scripture alone and so chased St. Paul out of town as a heretic.

Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,656.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bereans? You mean the people who accepted St. Paul's oral tradition after seeing that it harmonized with the Old Testament? IIRC, the episode with those Bereans took place after the Jewish leaders of Thessalonica abided by scripture alone and so chased St. Paul out of town as a heretic.

I think that to call something to be "oral tradition" you need more than just preaching the gospel and explaining the Scriptures. In such a case, almost everything people say would be "tradition".

Tradition is something that goes for a long time without any other source than itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Cool , so the HS gives each person different illumination which causes chaos I see.
No, for he brings to the reader the truths of the scriptures, but they can in turn misunderstand what is being stated, and also fail to apply them!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, for he brings to the reader the truths of the scriptures, but they can in turn misunderstand what is being stated, and also fail to apply them!
But St. John 16 says the Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth. How is it that people could read Sacred Scripture without being led into the truth as Our Lord promised?

• Agree
Reactions: Tomm
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think that to call something to be "oral tradition" you need more than just preaching the gospel and explaining the Scriptures. In such a case, almost everything people say would be "tradition".

Tradition is something that goes for a long time without any other source than itself.
The word means "continuity of belief". It's something that is handed on. Our Lord personally converted St. Paul. He then went to spread the word to others. That is literally tradition.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not quite true. The prodigal son was saved and walked away as any of us can do. Bingo.
Did you miss the obvious and glaring fact that the prodigal began as a son, and ended up as a son? Oh, and, btw, even while in the pigsty, he was a son. And all the while, his father kept a vigil for him.

But, of course anyone can walk away. Jesus taught that about the second soil (Luke 8:13) and Paul warned about it in 1 Tim 4:1.

But none of that results in loss of sonship or salvation.

Upvote 0