If Jesus died for the world why does most of scripture say the opposite?

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you think the stories about the man searching for his lost sheep refers to once believers?
God will search for people who know they are lost want to return, but do not know the way back like a lost sheep, but the lost son knew the way back and did not want to go back, so the father was not going to force his return.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,966.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting. So you think that the Godhead needed something outside itself to love?

I don't know. For some reason God created the world, I believe to share his love. Is an artist's joy complete without his paintings?

What do you think?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. For some reason God created the world, I believe to share his love. Is an artist's joy complete without his paintings?

What do you think?
It was to show His glory.

• Agree
Reactions: Yesha
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Another way to approach the question is to ask, "What did Christ accomplish by his sacrifice?" The Westminster Confession gives a nice answer:

The Lord Jesus, by his perfect obedience and sacrifice of himself, which he through the eternal Spirit once offered up unto God, hath fully satisfied the justice of his Father; and purchased not only reconciliation, but an everlasting inheritance in the kingdom of heaven, for all those whom the Father hath given unto him. - WCF 8.5

And that is the wrong answer also. The work of Christ upon the Cross had nothing to do with some sense of penal justice and satiating God's wrath.

• Agree
Reactions: agapelove
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And that is the wrong answer also. The work of Christ upon the Cross had nothing to do with some sense of penal justice and satiating God's wrath.
It had a lot to do with it.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Reactions: BBAS 64
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

agapelove

May 1, 2020
San Diego
✟50,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yup. There was no hope for him. And there was only no hope because God preplanned that he would betray Christ. But God also had used Pilate, the Pharisees, and the soldiers who crucified and mocked Jesus too. For without them executing Jesus there would have been no hope for anyone. Whether Christ died for the world or for his children. Nobody would be saved if not for the crucifixion of Jesus. They had to obey God 100% and later be punished for crucifying Gods son for the greater good or no hope would exist for humanity at all.

Yep we are the clay and He is the potter.

Romans 9:21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?

God purposed everyone before the foundation of the world, and I don't question why some people were purposed for glory and some for destruction (Judas, Pharoah) because I know it is ultimately for the good of His glory. BUT.... I think this distinction between the elect and non-elect is applicable to this age only for the glorification of God in the next age. To say that God creates some people to purposefully not save is just horribly wrong and a perversion of God's loving kindness and mercy.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It had a lot to do with it.

That is the corrupted Western theological view. The Eastern Church does not hold to this at all.

• Agree
Reactions: agapelove
Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Love is an attribute of God. He’s glorified when He loves, and when He is loved.

Wrong again. It is not an "attribute." God IS love. Read your Bible more carefully.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That is the corrupted Western theological view. The Eastern Church does not hold to this at all.
That’s your problem. You can ignore scripture at your peril. I will not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember the Word of God telling me that God is a cosmic child abuser but somehow we love to see God this way.
I certainly don’t.

Upvote 0