If Jesus died for the world why does most of scripture say the opposite?

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My objection is that it doesn’t say that the giving of the Spirit equals regeneration. I can quote the verse if you’d like. But I don’t think it’s necessary.

You can quote the verse if I like? What kind of response is that? That is your obligation to show by Scripture whether your objection is valid.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You can beg all you want. You quoted a few Scriptures, but when the Scriptures you used were shown not to teach what you are saying by Scripture itself, you then started to just object, and give your opinions.

You need to be on a philosophy board.
I actually responded to your post. And you ignored it. But feel free to address my points. I’m not afraid to defend my position when I make an argument.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You can quote the verse if I like? What kind of response is that? That is your obligation to show by Scripture whether your objection is valid.
Sure.

But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
— John 7:39

This verse does not say that the giving of the Spirit equals regeneration.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sure.

But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
— John 7:39

This verse does not say that the giving of the Spirit equals regeneration.

What do you think regeneration is? And then show me the Scripture to prove that your thought is correct.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What do you think regeneration is? And then show me the Scripture to prove that your thought is correct.
You’re the one making the argument. Don’t try to deflect now.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You’re the one making the argument. Don’t try to deflect now.

I can see why people end discussions with you.

Go your way. I will only discuss God's Holy Word with those who respect His Word. I gave you many opportunities and nudges to show me why you object using Scripture. You will not do it. I ask you do explain to me what you think regeneration is, since I have clearly defined it by Scripture itself. You can't even do that.

End of Discussion.

Good bye.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I can see why people end discussions with you.

Go your way. I will only discuss God's Holy Word with those who respect His Word. I gave you many opportunities and nudges to show me why you object using Scripture. You will not do it. I ask you do explain to me what you think regeneration is, since I have clearly defined it by Scripture itself. You can't even do that.

End of Discussion.

Good bye.
I know why they do, too. It’s because I poke holes in their theology. ;)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Yesha

Westminster Standards
Jun 25, 2007
Connecticut
✟24,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I understand that is the way you believe.

After reading the Scriptures, I must conclude that God's glory is founded in Love. Therefore, for love to be genuine, it must be tested to be true even onto death - and that is how love is tested in Scripture, with Christ Jesus being the prime example. If a Sovereign and Loving God could have saved us by any other means than to strip himself of His glory, come down to live among sinful man, and then offer himself to sinful men to be tortured and crucified in the most humiliating and painful way, then I believe as Sovereign God would have done so.

I am impressed that a holy and loving God would create a world where people would make choices that cause so much suffering. Such sin grieves God's holy nature beyond what I can fathom, yet God created the world anyway. Yet, as Genesis 3:15 shows, God's plan all along for His creation was to save those out of the world who would truly love Him as He also loves us.

God foreknew these through time who would trust in God and walk in love. To these God foreknew, He predestined a great inheritance to live with Him in that love forever. To these one's God foreknew, he also called by the Gospel.

The Gospel God designed to be received by those who humble themselves, those who hope to be free from the bondage of their sinful lives, and begin a new life - a commitment to die to the old life, and then to live a new life by following Christ Jesus. That is what the Gospel offers the humble.

To these of faith, as described, and as represented in Baptism, God indwells by His Spirit to lead their faith to victory over sin, and then to guide them to live out their faith commitment to Lord Jesus - this is the New Life, and is salvation from sin and death.

That is how I see a Sovereign God working out His will as expressed and taught in His Holy Word.

Blessings,
Steven

Steven, brother, thank you for expounding your view. If I understand you correctly, you believe that God, in eternity, foreknew who, in time, would respond to him in faith and repentance, and these God, in eternity, predestined to eternal life. Am I representing you accurately?

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Steven, brother, thank you for expounding your view. If I understand you correctly, you believe that God, in eternity, foreknew who, in time, would respond to him in faith and repentance, and these God, in eternity, predestined to eternal life. Am I representing you accurately?

Hi Yesha. Yes, basically, that is my view. I say basically, because, this foreknowledge of God appears complex, in that, although God foreknows those who believe, in actual time, God gives everyone an opportunity to repent, even Christians who are not presently living out their faith. God may foreknow those who repent as well, however, I do not get that impression, if we are to take seriously God's love and urgency and pleading with people to repent.

Therefore God's foreknowledge does not appear to be written in stone. God appears to alter His foreknowledge and judgment depending on how people respond to His grace.

In some instances, at the preaching of the Gospel, those who were appointed for salvation believed the message and put their faith in Jesus: Acts 13:48. In such instances, when cross-referenced with all the Scriptures regarding God's dealings with mankind, my belief is that those appointed, were already foreknown by God - that they would believe at the hearing of the Gospel.

I see many other examples in Scripture where God, and the Apostles, attempt to reason with and persuade regarding repentance and salvation, and those who humble themselves have the mindset that will hunger for what God offers them: Acts 20-21; Ps 25:9; 1 Pet 5:5; Acts 7:51; Ez 3:7; Prov 18:2; Ps 18:27; Ps 138:6; Rom 10:12-21; Rom 1:21-25; 1 Cor 18-24; Lk 4:18-19; Is 61:1-4, Rom 14:11-12; Heb 4:13; 1 Pet 4:5; Matt 5:11; Acts 17:2-4,17; Acts 18:4,19; Acts 24:25; Rom 14:15-16; 1 Cor 7:15-16; 1 Cor 9:22-25; 2 Cor 5:11; Col 3:23-24; 1 Pet 2:12, 1 Pet 3:1-2; Jam 5:20; Heb 12:1, Rom 1:16-32 and so many more.

Consider this Passage:

Ezekiel 33:11-12 (NIV)
... 11 Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?
... 12 “Therefore, son of man, say to your people, ‘If someone who is righteous disobeys, that person’s former righteousness will count for nothing. And if someone who is wicked repents, that person’s former wickedness will not bring condemnation. The righteous person who sins will not be allowed to live even though they were formerly righteous.’"

God would be vindictive and sarcastic if He pleads with them to repent by an oath, if God already foreknew they would not, or if God had already intended them to be condemned, with no chance to ever repent.

Then consider - from start to finish:

Revelation 3:4-5 (WEB)
... 1 “I know your works, that you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead.
... 2 Wake up and keep the things that remain, which you were about to throw away, for I have found no works of yours perfected before my God.
... 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard. Keep it and repent.
... If therefore you won’t watch, I will come as a thief, and you won’t know what hour I will come upon you.
... 4 Nevertheless you have a few names in Sardis that didn’t defile their garments. They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy.
... 5 He who overcomes will be arrayed in white garments, and I will in no way blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
... 5 The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name before my Father and his angels.

Consider also:

How God forms us (the clay) is no mystery. God forms the clay for honor or dishonor, for condemnation or for salvation depending on how we respond in His hands.

Jeremiah 18:2-11 (WEB) Bolding mine… 3 So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 4 But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. . . 11 Now therefore, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Yahweh says: Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return you now everyone from his evil way, and amend your ways and your doings.

2 Timothy 2:19-21 (WEB) 19 However God’s firm foundation stands, having this seal, “The Lord knows those who are his,” [Numbers 16:5] and, “Let every one who names the name of the Lord depart from unrighteousness.” 20 Now in a large house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of clay. Some are for honor, and some for dishonor. 21 If anyone therefore purges himself from these, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, and suitable for the master’s use, prepared for every good work.

So, in a general sense, we may say God foreknows with love that, throughout time, there will be people who will humble themselves, and put their faith in Him - even in the Old Testament, before the regeneration of the Spirit.

John 7:37-39 (WEB) 37 Now on the last and greatest day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink!” 38 “He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive. For the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus wasn’t yet glorified.

John 4:14 (WEB) 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never thirst again; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”

Blessings,
Steven

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yesha

Westminster Standards
Jun 25, 2007
Connecticut
✟24,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your replies. Yes it seems to boil down to how we define what it means to be reconciled to God. Since we start at different assumptions then our definitions follow suit resulting in difference of opinion. You are correct in assuming that my view equates reconciliation with salvation. Given our different starting points, perhaps I can address your objections in the following manner to better define my position. I've posted this before but don't know whether you've read it.

Since Col 1:19-20 states that it is the Father's will/purpose to reconcile all things unto himself, how we define "reconcile" is crucial in determining whether God will reconcile all as in ALL, or all as in the elect only while the reprobate in the lake of fire bow their knees and confess with their tongues while suffering punishment in the lake of forever.

I presume that you would acknowledge that God is just but the question is, is punishment the same thing as justice? We would both certainly agree that being condemned to the lake of fire qualifies as punishment but does it meet the demands of justice? For example, a rapist could rape a woman. He claims he is innocent and is not repentant for his crime but is found guilty and sentenced to prison. We would agree that the rapist is being punished but the rape victim will have to live with the consequences of what happened to her for the rest of her life. Is that justice as the victim has life-long consequences through no fault of her own? Suppose yet that a child was conceived and born as a result of the rape and the mother now has the responsibility to raise the child on her own while the perpetrator does nothing but sit in jail. Is that justice? Based on this example, it can be argued that there is a difference between punishment and justice as the former does not always meet the demands of the latter. The pertinent question to consider then is how can punishment also meet the demands of justice in this case? I submit that the answer demands that the perpetrator of the crime must willingly agree to make amends and seek reconciliation with the one whom he violated. He needs to admit guilt, seek forgiveness and make recompense for his crime - perhaps some sort of ongoing financial obligation/child support when he leaves prison and hopefully gets a job. The point is justice is only accomplished when the perpetrator participates in making amends toward the one he is guilty of offending.

I believe this human scenario approximates the picture of how God deals with us justly for our sins against Him. There is biblical precedent for this view of punishment/justice throughout the scriptures. For example Ex 22:1 states: "If a man steals an ox or a sheep, and kills it or sells it, he shall repay five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep." In the NT, Zacchaeus promises Jesus that he will restore fourfold those whom he has defrauded. These instances exemplify that justice demands not just the aspect of punishment but also recompense in order to make amends and fully bring about God's justice.

Given this scriptural evidence, we can apply this to the concept of an eternal hell. Being condemned to eternal punishment in the lake of fire certainly constitutes as punishment but it does not bring about God's justice because the inhabitants in the lake of fire have no opportunity to admit their guilt, seek forgiveness and seek to make recompense as it is "already too late." They must suffer the consequence of their sin forever. There is no chance for amends and reconciliation with God and therein lies the weakness with the retributive eternal punishment of hell. The view of the lake of fire that is most consistent with the scriptures and the character of God is the view where the lake of fire is for the purpose of chastisement where sinners recognize their sin against God, repent and seek forgiveness from the Lamb. Of course they, like all of us cannot repay their debt against God except that they believe in the sacrificial atonement of Jesus to make recompense for their sin. Like the rapist example it requires willing participation on their part as guilty sinners before a holy God. This reconciliation model of the lake of fire requires that the sinners must endure the purifying fires of hell in order that they may seek reconciliation with the Lamb who is also present in the lake of fire (Rev 14:10) so that one day God's ultimate goal of reconciliation with all is achieved.

Your post is well put together and took me some time to think through and respond to. I may soon leave the thread, but before I do, I would like to ensure that I understand your position. Our paths may cross again and it would be helpful to know where you stand. :)

At the center of your argument seems to be the idea that the perpetrator of a crime “must willingly agree to make amends and seek reconciliation with the one whom he violated” in order for punishment to meet the demands of justice. You conclude from this that “justice is only accomplished when the perpetrator participates in making amends toward the one he is guilty of offending.” I infer from your statements that without willing agreement to and participation in acts of recompense by the perpetrator, you hold that punishment alone is incapable of meeting the full demands of God’s justice. So then if I understand correctly, on your view God’s justice demands both punishment of the offender, personally or vicariously, and recompense for the offended, with the latter requiring the willing participation of the guilty party. Because the common view of an eternal hell does not afford the “opportunity to admit their [the sinner’s] guilt, seek forgiveness and seek to make recompense”, you conclude that it is incompatible with the nature of God’s justice. Therefore, hell must be a means of bringing those who died in their sins into right standing with God, not a place of eternal conscious torment.

Have I represented you correctly? Hopefully, I am at least in the vicinity of your intended meaning. For now, I wish to ask you one question. What do you believe Christ accomplished on the cross when he said, “it is finished” (John 19:30)?

Upvote 0

Yesha

Westminster Standards
Jun 25, 2007
Connecticut
✟24,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hi Yesha. Yes, basically, that is my view. I say basically, because, this foreknowledge of God appears complex, in that, although God foreknows those who believe, in actual time, God gives everyone an opportunity to repent, even Christians who are not presently living out their faith. God may foreknow those who repent as well, however, I do not get that impression, if we are to take seriously God's love and urgency and pleading with people to repent.

Therefore God's foreknowledge does not appear to be written in stone. God appears to alter His foreknowledge and judgment depending on how people respond to His grace.

In some instances, at the preaching of the Gospel, those who were appointed for salvation believed the message and put their faith in Jesus: Acts 13:48. In such instances, when cross-referenced with all the Scriptures regarding God's dealings with mankind, my belief is that those appointed, were already foreknown by God - that they would believe at the hearing of the Gospel.

I see many other examples in Scripture where God, and the Apostles, attempt to reason with and persuade regarding repentance and salvation, and those who humble themselves have the mindset that will hunger for what God offers them: Acts 20-21; Ps 25:9; 1 Pet 5:5; Acts 7:51; Ez 3:7; Prov 18:2; Ps 18:27; Ps 138:6; Rom 10:12-21; Rom 1:21-25; 1 Cor 18-24; Lk 4:18-19; Is 61:1-4, Rom 14:11-12; Heb 4:13; 1 Pet 4:5; Matt 5:11; Acts 17:2-4,17; Acts 18:4,19; Acts 24:25; Rom 14:15-16; 1 Cor 7:15-16; 1 Cor 9:22-25; 2 Cor 5:11; Col 3:23-24; 1 Pet 2:12, 1 Pet 3:1-2; Jam 5:20; Heb 12:1, Rom 1:16-32 and so many more.

Consider this Passage:

Ezekiel 33:11-12 (NIV)
... 11 Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?
... 12 “Therefore, son of man, say to your people, ‘If someone who is righteous disobeys, that person’s former righteousness will count for nothing. And if someone who is wicked repents, that person’s former wickedness will not bring condemnation. The righteous person who sins will not be allowed to live even though they were formerly righteous.’"

God would be vindictive and sarcastic if He pleads with them to repent by an oath, if God already foreknew they would not, or if God had already intended them to be condemned, with no chance to ever repent.

Then consider - from start to finish:

Revelation 3:4-5 (WEB)
... 1 “I know your works, that you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead.
... 2 Wake up and keep the things that remain, which you were about to throw away, for I have found no works of yours perfected before my God.
... 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard. Keep it and repent.
... If therefore you won’t watch, I will come as a thief, and you won’t know what hour I will come upon you.
... 4 Nevertheless you have a few names in Sardis that didn’t defile their garments. They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy.
... 5 He who overcomes will be arrayed in white garments, and I will in no way blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
... 5 The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name before my Father and his angels.

Consider also:

How God forms us (the clay) is no mystery. God forms the clay for honor or dishonor, for condemnation or for salvation depending on how we respond in His hands.

Jeremiah 18:2-11 (WEB) Bolding mine… 3 So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 4 But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. . . 11 Now therefore, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Yahweh says: Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return you now everyone from his evil way, and amend your ways and your doings.

2 Timothy 2:19-21 (WEB) 19 However God’s firm foundation stands, having this seal, “The Lord knows those who are his,” [Numbers 16:5] and, “Let every one who names the name of the Lord depart from unrighteousness.” 20 Now in a large house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of clay. Some are for honor, and some for dishonor. 21 If anyone therefore purges himself from these, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, and suitable for the master’s use, prepared for every good work.

So, in a general sense, we may say God foreknows with love that, throughout time, there will be people who will humble themselves, and put their faith in Him - even in the Old Testament, before the regeneration of the Spirit.

John 7:37-39 (WEB) 37 Now on the last and greatest day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink!” 38 “He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive. For the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus wasn’t yet glorified.

John 4:14 (WEB) 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never thirst again; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”

Blessings,
Steven

Steven, thank you for going through the effort of defining your view Scripturally. It is always a delight to see others turning to the Word of God. I have two questions for you if you would be willing to respond.

First, you wrote, “Therefore God's foreknowledge does not appear to be written in stone. God appears to alter His foreknowledge and judgment depending on how people respond to His grace.” Would you consider yourself an open theist? The language you used is reminiscent of that position, but I do not wish to misrepresent you.

Second, your familiarity with the text is impressive! Would you be willing to tell me how you interpret John 6:35-44?

35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.” 41 So the Jews grumbled about him, because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” 42 They said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” 43 Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. - John 6:35-44 (ESV)

Thank you my friend! :)

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Steven, thank you for going through the effort of defining your view Scripturally
clip_image001.gif
. It is always a delight to see others turning to the Word of God. I have two questions for you if you would be willing to respond.

First, you wrote, “Therefore God's foreknowledge does not appear to be written in stone. God appears to alter His foreknowledge and judgment depending on how people respond to His grace.” Would you consider yourself an open theist? The language you used is reminiscent of that position, but I do not wish to misrepresent you.

Setst RE: Yes.
God has set in stone for sure those things regarding His prophesies and His Promises and Covenants with mankind. I let Scripture itself define the foreknowledge of God by His own words, and the words of His prophets and apostolic writers. When I do this, I do not see that every aspect of each person’s millions of choices in his/her life is preordained or written in stone before God even formed each individual to make such choices. If that were the case, then we must conclude that God actually is the author of sin, whether proponents of closed-Theism choose to accept that or not – that is the conclusion that must be drawn. For instance, as Chapter 3 of the Westinster Confession states:

From eternity God did "freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass". By God's decree, "some men and angels are predestinated unto everlasting life; and others foreordained to everlasting death."

If that was the case, then God, who sovereignly forms and creates all things perfectly, would have to have known all the sins that would be committed from His Sovereign act of perfectly forming each and every individual. The implication being that, since God sovereignly created all things according to His perfect foreknowledge and will, then God formed each person with the sins they would commit - all written in stone. What do you honestly think regarding this?

I don’t believe we can say that anything in Scripture that appears to contradict Closed Theism is simply God’s way of relating to our finite minds. I gave examples in my previous response to you regarding God’s genuine love demonstrated in His pleading with sinners to repent, and of which His Apostles also conveyed. Yet, in most instances, the pleading of God and the Apostles resulted in no change of heart to those spoken to.

So, while God's loving will and desire for everyone is to be saved, that does not mean God promises all will be saved, and that they not be condemned; for, God impartially judges each person by how they respond to His grace.

Second, your familiarity with the text is impressive! Would you be willing to tell me how you interpret John 6:35-44?

Setst RE: Yes, and I will do this with complete honesty to the text and context.

35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

Setst RE: Those who come to Jesus are the humble according to all the Scriptures. Lord Jesus was, in fact, sent by the Father to preach the Gospel to the humble – the very ones that God promised in prophecy to bring justice, to teach, to guide, and to save (Psalms 18:27; Psalms 25:9-10, Luke 18:14, 1 Peter 5:5-6, 1 Corinthians 1:18-24, Matthew 11:4:9… See also: Psalms 34:2; Psalms 10:17-18; Isaiah 29:19; Zephaniah 2:3; Luke 10:21) and so many more.

Isaiah 61:1-2 (WEB) 61 The Lord Yahweh’s Spirit is on me, because Yahweh has anointed me to preach good news to the humble. He has sent me to bind up the broken hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and release to those who are bound, 2 to proclaim the year of Yahweh’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn

The hunger and thirst of the humble is to access God’s gracious gift of salvation and the love of God that God offers to them through the indiscriminate drawing of the Gospel message and of God’s Spirit.

Those who are humble are "The Drawn" or "The Called" according to His gracious purpose – His purpose being to save those who humble themselves just as God promised and prophesied.

Those who resist the indiscriminate drawing of His Word and Spirit (Acts 7:51; Isaiah 63:10; Psalms 106:32-33), are not drawn, because they resisted (Romans 10:12-21). God only chooses to save those who humble themselves, because they will listen.

Therefore, not by their own works do the humble hunger and thirst for the salvation God offers; but rather, by faith they seek the salvation that comes from God, for grace and salvation comes by faith (John 3:14-18; Romans 5:1-2; Romans 1:16-17).

36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

Setst RE: According to Scripture, who does God will to give to the Son? Lord Jesus clearly defines who they are that God chooses to give to the Son so it would not be a mystery.

John 6:40 (NIV) 40 For (‘because’ or ‘the reason being that’) my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

God only gives to the Son those who will believe in His Son – everyone who believes. That is the Gospel, for that is the will of God as shown throughout Biblical prophecy. God will not give to the Son those who resist the Word of God’s grace and the Spirit’s convicting power.

As Scripture teaches, God resists the proud and obstinate because they do not listen, for they glory in their slavery to the flesh. In contrast, God shows grace to the humble. God will guide and teach the humble, for they hunger and thirst for escape from their prison of sin, so will listen.

Acts 28:28 (WEB)
28 “Be it known therefore to you that the salvation of God is sent to the nations, and they will listen.”

Romans 11:4 (WEB)
But how does God answer him? “I have reserved for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.”1 Kings 19:18

Ezekiel 3:7 (WEB) 7 But the house of Israel will not listen to you, for they will not listen to me; for all the house of Israel are obstinate and hard-hearted.

Many in Israel, throughout their history, were proud – obstinately resisting God and His Spirit. But to those who humbled themselves, God made promises of salvation. See: Hebrews 11. But to those who continually resisted God’s grace, God answered their pride by withholding His mercy, and eventually hardening those who resisted Him and His Spirit.

All through the Scriptures we see how God supernaturally hardens hearts of those who obstinately and repeatedly refuse God’s grace in punishment so they cannot believe anymore and be saved. The prideful will obstinately and repeatedly refuse God’s grace; therefore, God punishes them by hardening their hearts so they cannot receive His grace.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 (NIV)
10 They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie

Hosea 4:6 (WEB)
6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me.

Romans 1:22-26 (WEB) 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 and traded the glory of the incorruptible God for the likeness of an image of corruptible man, and of birds, four-footed animals, and creeping things. 24 Therefore God also gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to uncleanness, that their bodies should be dishonored among themselves; 25 who exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. 26 For this reason, God gave them up to vile passions. … 28 Even as they refused to have God in their knowledge, God gave them up to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not fitting

If God has to supernaturally harden someone’s heart so they can no longer receive His grace, that mean that they might have repented if God and not supernaturally intervened in punishment. There is no Scripture that teaches God regenerates/saves someone so they can believe; rather, we believe so we may be saved – His Spirit indwelling and giving life to those who believe. That is what the Scriptures actually teach throughout.

That is why God has planned from the beginning to anoint and to send the Son to preach the Gospel to the humble.

The hunger and thirst of the humble is to access God’s gracious gift of salvation and the love of God that is offered to them through the Gospel and the Gospel Call or Invitation to the Wedding Feast of the Lamb, and of which God offers to them through the drawing of the Gospel message and of God’s Spirit.

Faith comes by hearing the Word of Christ (Romans 10:17). Therefore, not by their own works do they seek salvation; but rather, by faith they seek the salvation that comes from God, for grace and salvation are by faith (John 3:14-18; Romans 5:1-2). And the faith God accepts is represented in Baptism (Romans 6:1-23; Colossians 3:1-14). . .

This is the only faith by which God dwells in us by His Spirit to lead our faith, and continued faith, to victory (Acts 5:32; John 14:21; John 14:23; Acts 2:38; Galatians 3:2-5; Galatians 3:13-14; Ephesians 1:13-14).

A continued faith is demonstrated by walking in the Spirit God gave us by faith for this regeneration/life to take place and continue: Galatians 6:7-10; Romans 8:1-4; Romans 8:12-14; Galatians 5:24-25.

41 So the Jews grumbled about him, because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” 42 They said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” 43 Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. - John 6:35-44 (ESV)

Setst RE: God indiscriminately draws all people to Christ through the Gospel and the Spirit:

John 12:32 (WEB)
32 And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”

John 16:8-12 (WEB) 8 When he [Holy Spirit] has come, he will convict the world about sin, about righteousness, and about judgment

But many will resist. To those who don’t resist, these are the ones who are drawn: Acts 7:51; Isaiah 63:10; Psalms 106:32-33 .

Romans 1:16-32 (WEB)
16 For I am not ashamed of the Good News of Christ, because it is the power of God for salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first, and also for the Greek. 17 For in it is revealed God’s righteousness from faith to faith. As it is written, “But the righteous shall live by faith.” [Habakkuk 2:4]

Those who resist the drawing are the proud, so they will not be drawn to Christ. Therefore, God righteously chooses the humble to be saved, but the proud will resist God’s grace by their choice.

Those who do not resist the drawing will be drawn. These, the humble, will listen to God and believe (John 6:40-45; Psalms 25:9).

Salvation is offered to all people without partiality through the Gospel – carefully read the following Scriptures regarding this very thing – God shows no favoritism: (1 John 2:1-2; Romans 11:32; John 3:14-18; Hebrews 4:1-2; Acts 10:34-35; 1 Peter 1:17-19; Colossians 3:23-25; Romans 2:5-13; Romans 10:10-14; Jeremiah 18:1-11; James 1:12-16; Galatians 6:7-9; 1 Corinthians 6:8-9; Romans 6:12-23).

All through the Scriptures we see God shows no favoritism or partiality. God has bound all men over to disobedience, so that He may show mercy on all. God’s grace is revealed through the Gospel without partiality to all people, and how one responds to that grace will determine how they are judged by God (John 3:14-18).

Thank you my friend!

setst RE: You are welcome.

Blessings and Love,
Steven

Last edited:
Upvote 0