Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where are all the healers healing the sick and wounded in hospitals today?

Shouldn't this be a common occurrence?

Not talking about prophesying, but healing

My son broke his arm by going over the handlebars while riding a bicycle. This was 14 years ago.

It was the day before vacation. We were going to be gone for 8-9 days.

This wasn't a simple break. This was a 90 degree, "I BROKE MY ARM!", break. Right in the middle of his forearm. It snapped like a twig. (He was so brave. Refusing to cry!)

So, off to the hospital. The doctors took him to surgery and set his arm without breaking the skin. I'm glad he was 'out'... that would have hurt!

Hours later he's out of the hospital with a cast. He says he's 'okay' and still wants to go to Florida.

So, with a little hesitation we go ahead and load up and head down to Florida. It was a Saturday and we stopped as soon as we hit the coast for a good nights rest.

The next morning. We get up and go looking for an Orthodox Church that my wife identified the night before.

We found the Church within minutes, and arrived for services early.

The Priest walked straight up to my son and asked to see his arm. My son holds up the cast and shows it to him and explains how it happened. The Priest says, we will have unction today and we will pray for your healing.

Now by this time my oldest daughter and her husband who suffers from Leukemia, who live in Florida, join us at the Church. My son in law asks about what the Priest is talking about...

At the end of services but before the dismissal, the Priest comes out and motions to my son and my son in law to come forward.

He performs the right of unction for them and anoints them with Holy Oil.

Skip forward 10 days... my son is back at the doctor for his first checkup after the break. His mother is with him. I am still at work but arrive home before they return.

My son comes home without a cast! I'm asking my wife why that would be, it can't be healed yet.

She turns to me and says; "They cant find the break." It's gone.

Skip forward 14 years... my son in law has been in full remission until this very day.

Yes, I have reasons to believe.

Forgive me...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My son broke his arm by going over the handlebars while riding a bicycle. This was 14 years ago.

This wasn't a simple break. This was a 90 degree, "I BROKE MY ARM!", break. Right in the middle of his forearm. It snapped like a twig. (He was so brave. Refusing to cry!)

So, off to the hospital. The doctors took him to surgery and set his arm without breaking the skin. I'm glad he was 'out'... that would have hurt!

Hours later he's out of the hospital with a cast. He says he's 'okay' and still wants to go to Florida.

So, with a little hesitation we go ahead and load up and head down to Florida. It was a Saturday and we stopped as soon as we hit the coast for a good nights rest.

The next morning. We get up and go looking for an Orthodox Church that my wife identified the night before.

The Priest walked straight up to my son and asked to see his arm. My son holds up the cast and shows it to him and explains how it happened. The Priest says, we will have unction today and we will pray for your healing.

Now by this time my oldest daughter and her husband who suffers from Leukemia, who live in Florida, join us at the Church. My son in law asks about what the Priest is talking about...

At the end of services but before the dismissal, the Priest comes out and motions to my son and my son in law to come forward.

Skip forward ten days... my son is back at the doctor for his first checkup after the break. His mother is with him. I am still at work but arrive home before they return.

My son comes home without a cast! I'm asking my wife why that would be, it can't be healed yet.

Skip forward 14 years... my son in law has been in full remission until this very day.

Forgive me...
Glory to God!

Now I'm wondering if you visited my Church. :)

Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Skip forward 10 days... my son is back at the doctor for his first checkup after the break. His mother is with him. I am still at work but arrive home before they return.

Forgive me...
This is now .....His Kingdom come.
1 CORINTHIANS 4:20
For the Kingdom of God is not in word, but in power
What is the name of that priest who performed the healing?

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Father George
Saint John The Theologian Greek Orthodox Church
136 W Baldwin Rd, Panama City, Florida

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I would say it was the priest who performed the healing. But I understand you asking who did the anointing. :)

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
15+ years ago it was a few days before I was to leave for a mission trip to Brazil. I was barefoot, about to put on my socks and cleats to help coach my highschool soccer team. A ball came towards me, I reached out to stop it not noticing the assistant coach running full steam towards the ball. He missed the ball. He didn't miss my foot.

Crushed. Multiple fractures.

The right side of my foot was the beneficiary of his metal cleats. The doctor didn't want to cast it that evening due to the swelling. He told me I wouldn't be able to walk for a few weeks. I told him about my trip to Brazil. He laughed and said there's no way.

I went home, told my team about it. We prayed.

In the morning I was healed. I went back to the doctor, he was in disbelief. We took more x-rays. More disbelief.

That Spring Break I went to Brazil, it was incredible.

Summer.

I took my graduation money and bought a plane ticket and went back to Brazil for the summer to live with the missionary and his family. We were going to go to the jungle and make contact with an unreached people group.

We found them.

Not 5 hours after we had been in the village there was a commotion and the village people came in carrying a young boy who had been injured and his foot had been severed. Gone.

We felt the Holy Spirit. The missionary looked at me, and we went to the boy. The villagers consented. The village shaman, who we instantly knew to be demon possessed felt the Spirit and fled. We put our hands on his foot and prayed. It grew back. We saw it.

The entire village confessed and converted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel that as a white American I can say this. To be honest, the only cessasionists that I have ever met or read material from have been either white Americans or white Europeans that have not been on a mission trip to a third world country where the primary purpose was evangelism.

Upvote 0

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Father George

Forgive me...
Father George

Forgive me...

Forgive me...
Thanks for your inmediate reply. Why do you quote: - Forgive me...... ?

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I would say it was the priest who performed the healing. But I understand you asking who did the anointing. :)
You are surely right. He priest was anointed to receive the healing power from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You are surely right. He priest was anointed to receive the healing power from God.
Yes, when someone comes who is in need of healing, we follow as the Scriptures say ...

James 5:14-16
14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; 15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

The priest anoints the person, and prays for them.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for your inmediate reply. Why do you quote: - Forgive me...... ?

Forgive me... is a closing in written letters used by clergy in my order. I took it up as a habit many years ago. It reminds me that I am, for the most part, a cause of trouble to the cosmos. I am always in need of it...

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My son broke his arm by going over the handlebars while riding a bicycle. This was 14 years ago...She turns to me and says; "They cant find the break." It's gone.

Forgive me...

But this is not the issue identified in the OP at the start of the thread. Almost all of us would agree that miracles occur and that God may gift people, at his choosing, as he wills. The issue is whether or not what is called Cessationism is correct or not. The early church experienced all the gifts identified in Corinthians and in great and ongoing numbers. Then it died away EXCEPT for occasional reports. That is what cessationists, so called, point to.

That it is no longer a standard part of Christian life. If it were, there would have been people everywhere available to fix the broken arm or cure leukemia without physicians, etc., not just one person somewhere. But the account that you gave isn't even of this sort, anyway, but instead attributes the healing to the administration of a sacrament.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟759,871.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But this is not the issue identified in the OP at the start of the thread. Almost all of us would agree that miracles occur and that God may gift people, at his choosing, as he wills.

Right, this is what I was getting at initially. We all believe God still works miracles.

If it were, there would have been people everywhere available to fix the broken arm or cure leukemia without physicians, etc., not just one person somewhere.

Right, these healings are fewer and farther in between than they really should be if Cessationism isn't true...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟251,847.00
Faith
Christian
Cessationists believe that God can heal today in response to prayer if he so wills. But praying for healing is not the gift of healing. The gift of healing is the instantaneous and complete healing of a disability simply by the command or touch of a gifted individual, just as the disciples did in the New Testament. If you have to pray for healing it proves you do not have the gift of healing.

Upvote 0

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cessationists believe that God can heal today in response to prayer if he so wills. But praying for healing is not the gift of healing. The gift of healing is the instantaneous and complete healing of a disability simply by the command or touch of a gifted individual, just as the disciples did in the New Testament. If you have to pray for healing it proves you do not have the gift of healing.

I don't believe that only by touching and without praying means someone has the gift to heal.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟759,871.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe that only by touching and without praying means someone has the gift to heal.

That is what the gift of healing, granted to the apostles by the Spirit, as spoken of in the book of Acts actually was though. They could preform such miraculous healing's spontaneously to anyone they happened upon. The real question is whether or not that has ceased today.

• Agree
Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status