If a Protestant Gives You a Bible

yakshasa

Nov 10, 2006
✟7,944.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So much argument about something most of us know nothing about! I would venture that there are not many [ancient] Hebrew, Aramaic,or Greek speakers among us. Yet we blithely talk about inaccuracies and mistranslated versions as if we were there when the originals were written. Absolutely comical ; )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
What would you do if someone handed you a Jehovah's Witness New World Translation? Would you take it home, put it on your shelf, and let your children read it?

Read it and look for errors and then point out the errors to the Jehovah's Witness in better hopes that they can see the diversion their church has made. Same with the book of Mormon. I don't believe in burning any book because it is knowledge and knowing what others outside of my faith believe is important to know my enemies in hopes that they aren't my enemies anymore. I might be naive about this but that is what I believe Yeshua (Christ) wanted according to Matthew 5:43-48.

My dad has these books and is better arguing with them than me. I haven't read them yet, but they are on my to read list.

Same with any religious or non-religious texts.

If I ever have kids I wouldn't let them read these books unless I knew they had the same understanding as I have.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it highly ironic how many times the catholic church often has things you are to do that counter what the very bible that they read says not to do. Such as burning the bible. I mean your practically spitting on God by burning it. I mean sure maybe to a non-protestant it has less "books" but the rest of it is still the bible they read too.

That aside we always give "protestant" bibles to our family's kids when they have their events for their kids (confirmation?) and what not. It tends to annoy the family but oh well. We aren't going to give them a, what we believe, is a bible with books that were not to be in it.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?
If I am not mistaken Catholics have 73 books in their bibles and Daniel as well as Esther are longer than they are in Protestant bibles. So from a Catholic's perspective a 66 book bible is an eviscerated bible. Would you accept an eviscerated bible offered to you by somebody claiming it to be complete and refusing to entertain the idea that your bible is the bible of Christians?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Keep in mind, at one time some Bibles did indeed contain footnotes and commentary that had theological slant to them, or even polemics. Even some modern Bibles contain obvious theological bias, especially those that are dynamic translations.

Fire is actually an appropriate way to dispose of sacred objects. So it need not be seen as something sinister. Just that the person recognizes no further use in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If I am not mistaken Catholics have 73 books in their bibles and Daniel as well as Esther are longer than they are in Protestant bibles. So from a Catholic's perspective a 66 book bible is an eviscerated bible. Would you accept an eviscerated bible offered to you by somebody claiming it to be complete and refusing to entertain the idea that your bible is the bible of Christians?
Why is it evicerated. If the Catholic knows there is other stuff missing, what do they care? If they want to read those parts they will find a Catholic Bible.

Upvote 0

JohnKing67

Dec 2, 2014
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
✟11,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What should a Roman Catholic do if a Protestant gives them a Bible?

I found one answer from a blog called Eponymousflower. This is a blog by traditionalist Catholics, deeply suspicious of post-Vatican II Popes, but still within the Roman Catholic Church.

The answer: Refuse the gift of a Protestant Bible. If it comes in the mail, or you don't unwrap it until you get home, burn it. Yes, throw it into a fire, or light a fire to burn this Protestant Bible.

Where does this bizarre attitude come from? The blog cites the Catechism of Pope Pius X, who reigned from 1903-1914, and was canonized as a saint by Pope Pius XII in 1954.

An excerpt from the Catechism of Pope Pius X under the heading The Ninth Article of the Creed and Communion of the Saints:

<< Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?
A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest. >>

Note: "burnt as soon as possible." Why does Pius X take this position?

<< 33 Q. Why does the Church forbid Protestant Bibles?
A. The Church forbids Protestant Bibles because, either they have been altered and contain errors, or not having her approbation and footnotes explaining the obscure meanings, they may be harmful to the Faith. It is for that same reason that the Church even forbids translations of the Holy Scriptures already approved by her which have been reprinted without the footnotes approved by her. >>

In other words, the footnotes approved by the Vatican are more important than the text of the Bible, even if the translation is both accurate and approved. Even if there are no Protestant notes, it is still forbidden. It really sounds like Pius X is afraid to have Catholics read the text of the Bible.

The article where this occurs is written by Giuseppe Nardi. So far the blog might be on good ground if you respect popes more than you respect the Bible. There is one word of caution that might make sense even to a traditionalist Catholic. The Catechism of Pius X was only used in Rome and parts of Italy. It was never addressed to the whole Church or to all priests. Even Pius X wasn't foolish enough to send this Catechism to a country with lots of Protestants.

For myself, the lack of respect for Scripture here is appalling. I don't know whether to be more amazed that a Twentieth Century Pope said such a thing, that he was later elevated to sainthood, or that people are still quoting and following one of the most foolish things he ever said.

Link to Blog:
http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2015/06/pope-kisses-waldensian-bible-pope.htm

Link to Catechism of Pius X:
CATECHISM OF ST

Thank them but say you already have a Bible.....unless you don't already have one.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why is it evicerated. If the Catholic knows there is other stuff missing, what do they care? If they want to read those parts they will find a Catholic Bible.
Is that a serious suggestion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mcarmichael

Novice
Sep 8, 2014
✟56,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
[...]
For myself, the lack of respect for Scripture here is appalling. I don't know whether to be more amazed that a Twentieth Century Pope said such a thing, that he was later elevated to sainthood, or that people are still quoting and following one of the most foolish things he ever said.
Paper was so cheap then.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, why not.

What is so valuable about the things that are different in the Catholic Bible?

Now is your chance to testify to a protestant.
Catholics believe that those "extra" books are the inspired word of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Catholics believe that those "extra" books are the inspired word of God.
That's it? Yes, we know that Catholics are told that these books are inspired and therefore are of the same importance as the (other) books of the Bible.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does the fact that the books in question do not contain any doctrinal material not found in the other 66 books make a difference to you?
If your statement were correct it would make no difference to me. I do not know if your statement is correct.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why would it not make any difference? Is the Bible seen as a collection of God-given poetry, perhaps?
It makes no difference to me because the question assumed that I am a Catholic and that assumption is not correct.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It makes no difference to me because the question assumed that I am a Catholic and that assumption is not correct.

You did answer on behalf of the Catholic perspective about those books, however. A follow-up question to that does not seem out of order, therefore. But you certainly may say that you have no idea what good those books are.

Upvote 0