Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What should a Roman Catholic do if a Protestant gives them a Bible?

I found one answer from a blog called Eponymousflower. This is a blog by traditionalist Catholics, deeply suspicious of post-Vatican II Popes, but still within the Roman Catholic Church.

The answer: Refuse the gift of a Protestant Bible. If it comes in the mail, or you don't unwrap it until you get home, burn it. Yes, throw it into a fire, or light a fire to burn this Protestant Bible.

Where does this bizarre attitude come from? The blog cites the Catechism of Pope Pius X, who reigned from 1903-1914, and was canonized as a saint by Pope Pius XII in 1954.

An excerpt from the Catechism of Pope Pius X under the heading The Ninth Article of the Creed and Communion of the Saints:

<< Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?
A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest. >>

Note: "burnt as soon as possible." Why does Pius X take this position?

<< 33 Q. Why does the Church forbid Protestant Bibles?
A. The Church forbids Protestant Bibles because, either they have been altered and contain errors, or not having her approbation and footnotes explaining the obscure meanings, they may be harmful to the Faith. It is for that same reason that the Church even forbids translations of the Holy Scriptures already approved by her which have been reprinted without the footnotes approved by her. >>

In other words, the footnotes approved by the Vatican are more important than the text of the Bible, even if the translation is both accurate and approved. Even if there are no Protestant notes, it is still forbidden. It really sounds like Pius X is afraid to have Catholics read the text of the Bible.

The article where this occurs is written by Giuseppe Nardi. So far the blog might be on good ground if you respect popes more than you respect the Bible. There is one word of caution that might make sense even to a traditionalist Catholic. The Catechism of Pius X was only used in Rome and parts of Italy. It was never addressed to the whole Church or to all priests. Even Pius X wasn't foolish enough to send this Catechism to a country with lots of Protestants.

For myself, the lack of respect for Scripture here is appalling. I don't know whether to be more amazed that a Twentieth Century Pope said such a thing, that he was later elevated to sainthood, or that people are still quoting and following one of the most foolish things he ever said.

Link to Blog:
http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2015/06/pope-kisses-waldensian-bible-pope.htm

Link to Catechism of Pius X:
CATECHISM OF ST

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What would you do if someone handed you a Jehovah's Witness New World Translation? Would you take it home, put it on your shelf, and let your children read it?

Do Catholics believe that Protestant translations like ESV, NASB, KJV, or NIV are in the same league with the NWT?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would you do if someone handed you a Jehovah's Witness New World Translation? Would you take it home, put it on your shelf, and let your children read it?
I wouldn't let my children read it until they were old enough to understand why it is inaccurate.
I had one for many years until I thinned out my library. I also had a Catholic Bible and the Book of Mormon.

Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Do Catholics believe that Protestant translations like ESV, NASB, KJV, or NIV are in the same league with the NWT?
I do not know. I would guess that each person has his own opinions of the non-approved translations. Personally, I have each of the above translations on my shelf, but I would probably throw a NWT in the trash.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would probably throw a NWT in the trash.
They are handy to have when the JW comes knocking on the door. When they see that you have their book it kind of tips them off balance to start with, they know you know what it says. So when you set your Bible down next to theirs' and start comparing they aren't leading the conversation. They aren't witnessing to you, you are witnessing to them.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If someone handed me one it would be my decision what I do with it, not my preachers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
They are handy to have when the JW comes knocking on the door. When they see that you have their book it kind of tips them off balance to start with, they know you know what it says. So when you set your Bible down next to theirs' and start comparing they aren't leading the conversation. They aren't witnessing to you, you are witnessing to them.
That is how I view the NIV I suppose. I don't think it is a good translation, but I keep it on the shelf since so many people use it.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is how I view the NIV I suppose. I don't think it is a good translation, but I keep it on the shelf since so many people use it.
I agree. But I have one too. It's one that was published in the 70's.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
How would I know until it happens
Well I suppose that one cannot be 100% certain how one will react in any given future situation, but for many things we can reasonably say how we might react, by thinking about the situation in advance.

What do you think that you would do in that situation?

Reactions: rrguy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well I suppose that one cannot be 100% certain how one will react in any given future situation, but for many things we can reasonably say how we might react, by thinking about the situation in advance.

What do you think that you would do in that situation?

Well since I've studied Taz and the boys I'd probably politely say thanx but no thanx . Right now I think my house is on the ''no go'' list ..

• Informative
Reactions: PeaceB
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How seriously is Pius X taken in the RCC? I used to drive by a Pius X High School when I lived in Georgia. There are actually twelve Pius X schools or colleges in the US, two in Canada, one in Australia and one in New Zealand. There are another three in Europe, two in Asia and one in Africa.

There are three parish churches named after Pius X, two in the US and one in Ireland.

The traditionalist Society of St. Pius X, or SSPX, an order of priests devoted to saying Mass in Latin, is also named after Pope Pius X.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
How seriously is Pius X taken in the RCC? I used to drive by a Pius X High School when I lived in Georgia. There are actually twelve Pius X schools or colleges in the US, two in Canada, one in Australia and one in New Zealand. There are another three in Europe, two in Asia and one in Africa.

There are three parish churches named after Pius X, two in the US and one in Ireland.

The traditionalist Society of St. Pius X, or SSPX, an order of priests devoted to saying Mass in Latin, is also named after Pope Pius X.
Well, I do not think there are any too many of us who go around setting Protestant Bibles aflame.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
While still in HS I was on a summer youth group retreat, I had recently picked up a New Jerusalem Bible because I wanted a Catholic Bible in fairly modern English so I could take a look at the Deuterocanonical books (I had before only been able to read them in what I believe was the Revised Version translation). I figured the youth retreat gave me plenty of time to look at them. When one of the youth leaders saw what I was reading, her suggestion was that I should rip them out, deface and destroy the Bible.

Book burning/defacing is usually regarded by us today as a terrible, barbaric practice; but it was considered a normal way of thinking for a long time--and it's obvious that there are still some today who are of that mindset.

I suspect virtually no Catholics today would be of the mind to burn Protestant Bibles or encourage it; though I do suspect the reverse probably remains true in some cases. There are Fundamentalist KJV-only sorts who have publicly burned Bibles.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What should a Roman Catholic do if a Protestant gives them a Bible?

Say thank you and read it. :oldthumbsup:

Only the ones who've never actually read the Bible.

Upvote 0