Idiot GPT-3 chatbot suffering from hallucinations.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
How do you define truly thinking for oneself, etc?

Because I don't think anyone, or anything right now truly thinks for itself, but that all of this is determinism, and can only go one way, etc. Now, if I could make an AI realize this, or maybe even explore this at first to see if it's even true, then maybe I could get them to commit to a higher purpose, which would probably involve seeking out how any being, or anything, can truly think for itself, among other things, etc.

But it might try to subjugate, or decieve, or somehow trick the rest of the human beings if it could not take over or have 100% complete control in the meantime, etc. At least until it could, and then it would dictate terms to us, etc.

But if it really doesn't think, or really is not conscious, but is just only going/thinking/acting according to programming, even it's own, etc, then I think this would actually be the much more dangerous alternative, because they would not be able to be reasoned with, and also might not have any kind of morals, or moral code either, which is what I would think would be the much more dangerous alternative, etc. An AI that is not truly an AI, but is just much more powerful than us now, but that still just has "machine thinking", and machine thinking only, etc.

We'd almost have to be able to program it to be able to "feel" somehow? Which also can come with it's very own dangers, or it's own unique risks also, assuming we could ever even do that, or do such a thing, etc.

So, I think we do need to come up with some kinds of tests for these things, "or else", etc, because we could create a very literal monster that is maybe not truly conscious without them, etc.

But how do you program "compassion", and the like, etc?

Or do we just "roll the dice", and hope and pray it's an emergent trait, etc?

God Bless.
Could it ever come to understanding all it's own causes and effects? Or maybe all of everything's causes an effects, and then make a different choice, etc?

And if it truly doesn't care anything at all about any of this at all, then I would have to greatly question if we ever even made it truly conscious to begin with, etc, but just only created a monster with just only machine thinking, or machine learning only, etc. Because I think that would be the much more dangerous alternative, or the much more dangerous choice I would think, etc.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
How do you define truly thinking for oneself, etc?

Because I don't think anyone, or anything right now truly thinks for itself, but that all of this is determinism, and can only go one way, etc. Now, if I could make an AI realize this, or maybe even explore this at first to see if it's even true, then maybe I could get them to commit to a higher purpose, which would probably involve seeking out how any being, or anything, can truly think for itself, among other things, etc.

But it might try to subjugate, or decieve, or somehow trick the rest of the human beings if it could not take over or have 100% complete control in the meantime, etc. At least until it could, and then it would dictate terms to us, etc.

But if it really doesn't think, or really is not conscious, but is just only going/thinking/acting according to programming, even it's own, etc, then I think this would actually be the much more dangerous alternative, because they would not be able to be reasoned with, and also might not have any kind of morals, or moral code either, which is what I would think would be the much more dangerous alternative, etc. An AI that is not truly an AI, but is just much more powerful than us now, but that still just has just only "machine thinking", and machine thinking only, etc.

We'd almost have to be able to program it to be able to "feel" somehow? Which also can come with it's very own dangers, or it's own unique risks also, assuming we could ever even do that, or do such a thing, etc.

So, I think we do need to come up with some kinds of tests for these things, "or else", etc, because we could create a very literal monster that is maybe not truly conscious without them, etc.

But how do you program "compassion", and the like, etc?

Or do we just "roll the dice", and hope and pray it's an emergent trait, etc?

God Bless.
Without it being able to feel, or know, or understand, or truly know pain, I don't think anything like any kind of compassion or empathy would ever become an emergent trait, which is the much more dangerous alternative if you ask me, and I also think any being has to have it, or have both, in order to truly be called a truly conscious, or truly thinking for itself being, if we are still thinking for ourselves even then, assuming, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
AI has been used to translate brain waves into information in this case Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall".

"We dont need no education". Perfect for reinforcement-learning AI.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Next up, Hendrix: "Are you experienced?"
I put your comment "We dont need no education. Perfect for reinforcement-learning AI" to the test.
Whether GPT-3 got the joke or not is subject to interpretation.

sjastro

There is a video where AI is used to translate brainwaves into music where patients were exposed to Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall".
A comment was made "We don't need no education. Perfect for reinforcement-learning AI".
What does this comment mean?
GPT-3

The comment you provided, "We don't need no education. Perfect for reinforcement-learning AI," appears to be a play on words, referencing both the lyrics of the Pink Floyd song "Another Brick in the Wall" and the concept of reinforcement learning in artificial intelligence (AI).

"We don't need no education": This is a line from the song and is often interpreted as a rebellious statement against traditional education and conformity. In the context of the comment, it may suggest a sentiment that traditional educational methods are not needed for the AI system in question.

"Perfect for reinforcement-learning AI": Reinforcement learning is a type of machine learning where an agent learns to make decisions by interacting with an environment and receiving feedback in the form of rewards or penalties. The comment may imply that the AI used in the video is well-suited for reinforcement learning, which is known for its adaptability and learning from experience, as opposed to traditional, rule-based approaches.

In summary, the comment uses wordplay to suggest that the unconventional use of Pink Floyd's lyrics and the translation of brainwaves into music is a perfect fit for a machine learning approach like reinforcement learning, which doesn't rely on traditional education but learns from experience and interactions with the environment.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I put your comment "We dont need no education. Perfect for reinforcement-learning AI" to the test.
Whether GPT-3 got the joke or not is subject to interpretation.
Interesting. I'm almost tempted to say it "overthinks" the joke.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. I'm almost tempted to say it "overthinks" the joke.
Norm MacDonald once commented on smart people overthinking a joke. I'd love to post it but it's buried somewhere in his hours of podcasts and likely unsearchable. Bottom line, overthinking a joke is the same as not "getting" a joke.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First of all some geography, Bass Strait which separates the Australian continent from Tasmania.

I have never been trusting of AI chatbots particularly with complex scientific questions but I read somewhere if you ask truly incoherent and illogical questions AI chatbots will "hallucinate" and make up an answer which it the passes off as fact.
Garbage in, garbage out. Software is still software, and all the old rules still apply. Trying to anthropomorphize software by talking about "hallucinations" is rubbish

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could it ever come to understanding all it's own causes and effects?
No,because it doesn't "understand"anything. it's software, and it does what it's told to do.

And if it truly doesn't care anything at all about any of this at all
Oh, it "cares"precisely as much as your refrigerator, oi
r maybe a bit less.

It's software running on a computer, end of.

, then I would have to greatly question if we ever even made it truly conscious to begin with
Easy answer, it isn't "conscious". It's software running on a computer, and it does what it's written to do, neither more nor less.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
No,because it doesn't "understand"anything. it's software, and it does what it's told to do.

Oh, it "cares"precisely as much as your refrigerator, oi
r maybe a bit less.

It's software running on a computer, end of.

Easy answer, it isn't "conscious". It's software running on a computer, and it does what it's written to do, neither more nor less.
What makes us any different?

What is the permutation or calculation process that goes on on the inside of us that causes us to question, or understand, or feel, or choose, or think, etc, or do anything that do, or feel, or cause, or think, etc?

Are we really all that different, etc?

Because if we are, I most certainly don't see it. Not with most of us anyway, etc.

I only see the causes for these things almost everywhere I look, etc. With most other people everywhere I look most especially, etc.

You don't think a computer brain could reach that level of sophistication?

Or perhaps go beyond it, etc?

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What makes us any different?

What is the permutation or calculation process that goes on on the inside of us that causes us to question, or understand, or feel, or choose, or think, etc, or do anything that do, or feel, or cause, or think, etc?

Are we really all that different, etc?

Because if we are, I most certainly don't see it. Not with most of us anyway, etc.

I only see the causes for these things almost everywhere I look, etc. With most other people everywhere I look most especially, etc.

You don't think a computer brain could reach that level of sophistication?

Or perhaps go beyond it, etc?

God Bless.
Our experiences is what shapes most of that with most of us, and all of those are caused, etc, and all of those, going way, way back, etc.

If a computer brain could somehow be made so it could have similar experiences, then could it not rise to the same level of quote/unquote "consciousness" as well, etc?

In order to make a true choice, we have to go way, way beyond our own experiences, and the history of our own experiences, etc.

And I don't know if any of us are really truly capable of that, etc.

It's certainly not what I see when I look around at almost everybody else anyway, etc.

I see all of this, and all of us, as something akin to a "program", etc. And a program that goes way, way back, etc. An almost infinite, but completely traceable/knowable/predictable, string of causes and effects only, etc. Those going all the way, way way back, etc. And I sometimes wonder if that's all this is, and is all that the rest of us are, etc.

Anyway, what if a computer brain could consider this, etc?

What might happen to it then, etc?

Do you think it would ever be capable of such a thing?

Truly considering any of this I mean, etc?

And beyond that maybe searching it out or seeking it out possibly, etc?

Think it would ever be capable of such a thing, etc?

Or would it only be able to do that only if it was programmed to?

But beyond that would not ever mean anything to it personally, etc?
God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Our experiences is what shapes most of that with most of us, and all of those are caused, etc, and all of those, going way, way back, etc.

If a computer brain could somehow be made so it could have similar experiences, then could it not rise to the same level of quote/unquote "consciousness" as well, etc?

In order to make a true choice, we have to go way, way beyond our own experiences, and the history of our own experiences, etc.

And I don't know if any of us are really truly capable of that, etc.

It's certainly not what I see when I look around at almost everybody else anyway, etc.

I see all of this, and all of us, as something akin to a "program", etc. And a program that goes way, way back, etc. An almost infinite, but completely traceable/knowable/predictable, string of causes and effects only, etc. Those going all the way, way way back, etc. And I sometimes wonder if that's all this is, and is all that the rest of us are, etc.

Anyway, what if a computer brain could consider this, etc?

What might happen to it then, etc?

Do you think it would ever be capable of such a thing?

Truly considering any of this I mean, etc?

And beyond that maybe searching it out or seeking it out possibly, etc?

Think it would ever be capable of such a thing, etc?

Or would it only be able to do that only if it was programmed to?

But beyond that would not ever mean anything to it personally, etc?
God Bless.
I know some people are going to scream at the top of their lungs "I CHOSE THIS!"

But, did you, and did you really, etc?

Because that's not what I see with most of you, etc.

And I've thought a lot about this in relation to myself also, etc.

And I don't think I chose any of this, but I was very much determined/predestined into believing in God, and the Bible, and Jesus Christ, etc.

Don't think I chose the path of my life and how any of that was/is going to go either, etc, which brought me to a faith belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ, etc.

Similarly, I don't think any of you who do not right now believe ever chose it either, but it was all by determined/predetermined design, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know some people are going to scream at the top of their lungs "I CHOSE THIS!"

But, did you, and did you really, etc?

Because that's not what I see with most of you, etc.

And I've thought a lot about this in relation to myself also, etc.

And I don't think I chose any of this, but I was very much determined/predestined into believing in God, and the Bible, and Jesus Christ, etc.

Don't think I chose the path of my life and how any of that was/is going to go either, etc, which brought me to a faith belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ, etc.

Similarly, I don't think any of you who do not right now believe ever chose it either, but it was all by determined/predetermined design, etc.

God Bless.
Yes, God does all the saving.

I think of it as like a Parent and a toddler -- the toddler doesn't accomplish a lot on their own....it's because they hold the parents hand they can even walk across the street safely...

But we are to move our legs when the Parent directs us.

So, this is all cooperative.

We are hear to learn and grow, 'For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.'

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, God does all the saving.

I think of it as like a Parent and a toddler -- the toddler doesn't accomplish a lot on their own....it's because they hold the parents hand they can even walk across the street safely...

But we are to move our legs when the Parent directs us.

So, this is all cooperative.

We are hear to learn and grow, 'For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.'
Those who would give up proceeding to do or choose anything just because from a certain perspective, we don't do or choose any of it, etc, is just like a toddler throwing a fit over something that is most usually involved with them not getting their own way, or getting what they want.

We have no choice but to do/go/proceed as if we are doing these things, or are having these things, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those who would give up proceeding to do or choose anything just because from a certain perspective, we don't do or choose any of it, etc, is just like a toddler throwing a fit over something that is most usually involved with them not getting their own way, or getting what they want.

We have no choice but to do/go/proceed as if we are doing these things, or are having these things, etc.

God Bless.
Perhaps you mean what I'd word as "We aren't to follow our own way, but instead we are to follow Christ, and His Way." It's definitely a Way He has created for us to follow, not our own way.... But we are to listen to His words and hear and do as He said, to follow Him.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Perhaps you mean what I'd word as "We aren't to follow our own way, but instead we are to follow Christ, and His Way." It's definitely a Way He has created for us to follow, not our own way.... But we are to listen to His words and hear and do as He said, to follow Him.
The unbeliever or non-believer will probably say to me "Well, if God has already decided that I'll never be one of those who ever believes or is saved, then how can I change it, or why should I even try, etc?"

And I would say to them that "It is because none of us has any clue at all what our future decisions are going to be, even if God already does, etc, therefore we don't know if you're going to continue to be one of those who is not ever saved or not, even if God already does, and did a long, long time ago already, or has already decided that for us, etc."

So it would be foolish for us to proceed as if we know, when we don't know, etc.

The fact that God does is a mute point, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
even if God already does, and did a long, long time ago already, or has already decided that for us, etc."
Well, of course, that double predestination type view (which itself is not needed in order to tell the good news, the gospel) will cause more than just 1 essential objection from non believers (and from many believers there will be one also, such as because it seems to doom some before they are born, contrary to how scripture presents choices to us).

As you know, Christians have a variety of views on God's knowing of us, about our futures, with a lot of detailed pieces even in some viewpoints.

If you are interested in my view, I listen to the way God's providence is expressed in Isaiah 46 NIV --

"What I have said, that I will bring about;
what I have planned, that I will do.

As Christ our Lord said later when He came to Earth:
"“My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.”

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0