I want to be a photographer....how to start?

Jun 30, 2004
los angeles
✟138.00
Faith
Catholic
Check out the Advice For A New Photographer thread, started a day or two ago.

Good digitals, start at around $1000. Good film cameras can be had for a song on ebay these days, tho.

Get a zoom lens with Macro capabilities so you can play around with extreme close up shots, as well as long distance. Very fun.

And then just shoot anything and everything with a variety of f-stop and shutter settings. You just need to keep experimenting until you get to the point where you can set the shot up and almost know what the result is going to be before you shoot it. Just takes practice. :)

good luck,
James

Upvote 0

utdbear

Catalina Wine Mixer....POW!
Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It also depends on what kind of photographer you would like to be. For example, I am into both portraiture and news photography, and I primarily shoot sporting events. Because I use a lot of fast action shots(I use digital by the way) I have to get a faster lens than usual. I would recommend a Canon Rebel Ti to start out with if you are interested in film, and a Digital Rebel if you want to go digital. I am also a big fan of the Sigma lenses, they are much cheaper and provide just a good picture as the canon lenses. Wolf Camera sells a Sigma kit with 2 lenses for 220 dollars, which is great to start you out with. Also I seriously recommend getting the book called 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson. Its a great book and it will teach you how you can make the most out of your photography. Hit me up if you need anymore help.

Upvote 0

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
I used to be a photographer, and the way i got into it was by applying for the job, and going away to train for a couple of week's...i had no former photography skills, the manager of the portrait studio just thought i was a quirky kind of person, and he liked that sort of thing!

hope everything works out well for you :)

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Miss Mayberry

Senior Veteran
Dec 20, 2003
✟11,349.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
"One learns to make pictures by making pictures."

"There is a difference between making pictures and taking pictures. To take a picture, one simply holds up a camera and presses the button. To make a picture, however, one must envision the end result, and then practice diligence until the reality matches the vision."

Upvote 0

utdbear

Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I invested in the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for my sports shots that I shoot for the local newspaper here. I can't complain a single bit about the quality of this lens! The images are outstanding and the lens is definitely well built. At $899 its not a cheap lens, but its actually half the price of the Canon and the sharpness is nearly identical.

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
I'm interested in photography... even more so ever since my Father-In-Law handed us an old 35mm SLR that he had laying around. It takes great pictures.

I'm even more interested in taking photos and doing some Photoshop work with them... which I hope to share with some of you once I get up to the 100 post minimum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

utdbear

Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
it depends on whether you want to go digital or not. If you want to go digital, you probably need a digital SLR to get the stuff that you are desiring. Otherwise, save some money for now and get a 35mm SLR, like the Rebel Ti

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
My vote would be for digital.

I'm not a professional photographer. So you won't find me in the darkroom trying to produce my own prints onto paper or do my own custom effects. And you won't find me blowing pictures up to the size where you can begin to notice the difference between a 35mm shot and a digital shot.

And since I'm not a professional, it would benefit me to be able to see how my shots turned out before having to wait for them to return from the lab.

I'd really like to get a digital slr with a few nice lenses and then to sit on Photoshop and create art out of them all day. These are the things I daydream about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums