✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ugh.

About once every six weeks my brother and I write and perform a puppet play for children's church. We're always asked to pick a song to go along with it. The problem is that the songs from which we're asked to choose - mostly Hillsong Kids type stuff - are so incredibly vapid and silly that there's no way to match them up to the plays, which actually have, y'know, a meaning. What's wrong with good old "Give me Oil in my Lamp" or something like that? What's the point of an inorganic sub-genre of Christian pop music for kids?

I used to be a big fan of contemporary worship, and I still have no problem with it in principle, but these days it's little more than pop schlock. No substance, no talent - just emotional Bieberesque syrup with the word "Jesus" substituted for "baby". And the kid's stuff is even worse than adult CCM. Sometimes I wish I went to one of those dusty old liturgical churches where they only sing hymns that are at least a century old. At least they have enough substance that a worship minister can match them to the sermon's message.

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh man, this DVD is super creepy too, with the leaders doing bad lip-syncing and dancing around on stage like they're doing backup for Britney, and the kids all awkwardly raising their hands and swaying and stuff... I can't even watch it. I'm just going to listen to the songs while I do something else.

Upvote 0

m.a.r.X

Just keep goin !
May 16, 2012
India
✟14,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh man, this DVD is super creepy too, with the leaders doing bad lip-syncing and dancing around on stage like they're doing backup for Britney, and the kids all awkwardly raising their hands and swaying and stuff... I can't even watch it. I'm just going to listen to the songs while I do something else.
Write a better song then !

BTW, whats the theme of the play ?

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Write a better song then !

I've written several better songs. A couple dozen, in fact. :)

BTW, whats the theme of the play ?

Not being depressed when the world rejects you because God loves you.

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Goodness I love kid songs. Especially VBS songs. Every year I get addicted to the music and they always stick with me.

I've never heard Hillsong kids music but my guess is that the tunes are catchy and the words are fine. Knowing you Mac, you just have certain standards for your own music and you would prefer the rest of the world follow those :smirk:

Here is my favorite song from this year's VBS (which Mary and I now break out into randomly and start scaring people with the motions)
Babylon VBS 2012-Through It All - YouTube

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This may speak to a subject that is hard to pin down. Hymns will never go away. Bands do. House churches were big in the 70's. Those are mostly gone. All the wishy washy is going to find its end when people begin to read their bibles. And when they do, there will be a whole new generation that doesn't read their bibles who need to be entertained when they come to church.

I'm not saying I read my bible nearly as much as I should. But I am saying that there may be a correlation between not reading the bible and a lack of substance in a worship service and a need to hear something that sounds good (be that words or music).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I used to be a big fan of contemporary worship, and I still have no problem with it in principle, but these days it's little more than pop schlock. No substance, no talent - just emotional Bieberesque syrup with the word "Jesus" substituted for "baby".
This is why I don't listen to CCM. It's a joke.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

acropolis

so rad
Jan 29, 2008
✟20,293.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Ugh.

About once every six weeks my brother and I write and perform a puppet play for children's church. We're always asked to pick a song to go along with it. The problem is that the songs from which we're asked to choose - mostly Hillsong Kids type stuff - are so incredibly vapid and silly that there's no way to match them up to the plays, which actually have, y'know, a meaning. What's wrong with good old "Give me Oil in my Lamp" or something like that? What's the point of an inorganic sub-genre of Christian pop music for kids?

I used to be a big fan of contemporary worship, and I still have no problem with it in principle, but these days it's little more than pop schlock. No substance, no talent - just emotional Bieberesque syrup with the word "Jesus" substituted for "baby". And the kid's stuff is even worse than adult CCM. Sometimes I wish I went to one of those dusty old liturgical churches where they only sing hymns that are at least a century old. At least they have enough substance that a worship minister can match them to the sermon's message.

Whenever I'm obligated to go to church I always go with the liturgical church (my folks are bi-churchual) because it's a lot easier to stomach a serious, austere approach than a grinning and glassy-eyed performance of love songs. Plus PCUSA sermons are way better than anything a charismatic church has ever produced.

Upvote 0