Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was born into a high church, high Calvinistic Continental Reformed Church. My father took us to a Conservative, Mid-Church, High Calvinist Presbyterian church (partly for doctrine issues and partly for geographic ones). Reading John Gill and others has led me, alongside my husband, into a creedal 'independent' Reformed Baptist congregation, which has English and Continental influences. As we've continued to look into the Reformed and Baptist traditions I have discovered again and again that the Particular and Strict Baptists are actually very much similar to where we wound up, though no one in our church was trying to be that to start with. It's perhaps not surprising (there are correct views and someone else might have arrived at them through different historical circumstance), but I get the impression that they're not very well known today in general. Does the US have any significant presence of Strict Baptists? Most of those I've found are from the past, and England.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I was born into a high church, high Calvinistic Continental Reformed Church. My father took us to a Conservative, Mid-Church, High Calvinist Presbyterian church (partly for doctrine issues and partly for geographic ones). Reading John Gill and others has led me, alongside my husband, into a creedal 'independent' Reformed Baptist congregation, which has English and Continental influences. As we've continued to look into the Reformed and Baptist traditions I have discovered again and again that the Particular and Strict Baptists are actually very much similar to where we wound up, though no one in our church was trying to be that to start with. It's perhaps not surprising (there are correct views and someone else might have arrived at them through different historical circumstance), but I get the impression that they're not very well known today in general. Does the US have any significant presence of Strict Baptists? Most of those I've found are from the past, and England.
Never heard of Strict Baptists. Had to look it up.

You might get more response from another forum, perhaps Semper Reformanda

Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Here in England, Strict Baptists mainly changed their name to Grace Baptists. Strict and Particular Baptists are mostly known as Gospel Standard. Strict Baptist Misssion became Grace Baptist Mission. There are similar Baptists who don't associate with either of these. Our church is similar to Grace Baptists but are independent.

Upvote 0