New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:8‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Good Day BNR

Seeing the sermon on the mount is about the very being and charter of the Christian.

I do expect Christians to do these things ... yes. Christian acts are preformed by Christians.

In Him,

Bill

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Perhaps it would be edifying to delve in to what "works" are, exactly?

Are "good deeds" works?

Is lying prostrate before the Lord, works?

Is donating to organizations that help those who need help, works?

This might be a good starting point, as i fear there might be much mis-understanding of what "works" are, exactly.

Interesting thread, by the way. Thank you for starting it.

According to the Sheep and goats, it was feeding a peeson who was hungry, clothing the naked, caring for the ill, visiting those in prison.

I hesitate to find Scripture for it, because I believe it is like the good samaritan. The Priest and Levite saw the beaten man, but passed on, trying to follow the law of cleanliness before entering the temple.

They kept the law, but failed to love their neighbor in immediate need. The Samaritans, thought worse people than sinners, helped the man to a place to care for him, paid the bill, and checked up on him because he had genuine empathy and loved his neighbor as himself.

But if looking for verses to know what is God's Work or Good Works, it gets caught in legalities: If I volunteer at a homeless shelter, what if I did a website, remotely. Those people are stinky.

"and if I have not love, I have earned nothing"

But I would simply start with random acts of kindness websites. The opportunities present themselves from letting someone over in traffic or opening the door for someone, and being a shoulder to cry on, or helping someone whose car broke down.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 7:21-23
Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

... Many people understand this verse to be saying that you need faith AND WORKS to be saved because Jesus tells the sinners(workers of iniquity/lawlessness) to depart from him.
I see this verse used all the time on both sides of the faith vs works debates, but what if the verse isn't about that at all? I think the people are taking credit, seeking glory (which would still support your hypothesis in the end about Mormons and others) and Isaiah 42:8 says God won't give His glory to another (hence Jesus must be God) and the people in Matthew 7 are saying "we did this, we did this"
Herods death in Acts 12:23 was from him not giving glory to God.
And when Jesus asked His disciples "Whom say ye that I am" in Matthew 16:15; Jesus said Peter was blessed because God revealed this to him. BUT the very next time Peter is quoted in Matthew 16:22 Jesus rebukes him - we can't even speak correctly unless God reveals the Truth to us.
I know from reading the Bible that words are more powerful than works, yet I toss them around... like now. The amount of grace I must need daily is staggering.
Anyways, I think the people who were sent away could be anyone who thinks "look what I did" and not "look what God did"

Upvote 0