✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 7:21-23
Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

I believe that many people in the church today have a misunderstanding of what the Lord is saying. Before I delve into this I want to clarify in saying that I'm not sure if this view has been proposed before or not. Also, I could be wrong, I am not claiming certainty.

Many people understand this verse to be saying that you need faith AND WORKS to be saved because Jesus tells the sinners(workers of iniquity/lawlessness) to depart from him. If this is the case it seems to contradict all of the other claims of Jesus and the disciples that salvation comes by faith.

I believe that Jesus is referring to groups such as Jehovas Witnesses, Mormons, Muslims etc.. and let me explain why.

These groups all have obscure and incorrect versions of Jesus Christ. Jehovas Witnesses believe that Jesus was the first MADE creation, Micheal the Archangel and that he is the brother of Lucifer. This is false according to scripture- See Hebrews 1 . The Mormons believe that Jesus was a man who through his obedience to the Father's law, became a god. This is also false. See Isaiah 43:10 and Isaiah 44:6 . and Muslims say that Jesus was just a prophet. This is false. See Hebrews 1:8 , Revelation 22:13 , Matthew 12:8 . Obviously there are many more examples to disprove all of these, but, you get my point. This is a false Jesus and we know that God doesn't fellowship or hear the unbelievers John 9:31

The thing that all man made religions have in common is the need for good works and the belief that good deeds outweighs bad deeds, and if you have more good then bad then you get to Heaven. The three groups I mentioned all believe in works based salvation. They believe that if they are obedient enough then they will be able to make it to Heaven. Of course we understand that this is false: Galatians 5:3 and Galatians 2:16 . If a man is to be justified by works then we are required to keep EVERY LAW. We know this is not possible and the author of Galatians states it clearly here Galatians 2:21 . If we are required to keep the law, then Jesus came for no reason. Hence if these people are trying to obtain salvation by works, then they are required to keep the whole of the law, which we have seen is impossible. Hence they fail and are therefore workers of lawlessness.

So on the last day, when the people of these groups say to Jesus: " Lord, Lord have we not done many GREAT WORKS in your name?" He will say "I never knew you". These people WERE doing GREAT WORKS but they had a false Jesus who wasn't the One and only TURE GOD, a Jesus who couldn't save by his work alone but also need their good works.

And when he calls them workers of iniquity, its not because they did not obey Gods law BUT quite the opposite, these people tried to be saved by the law. They were severed from Christ and fallen from grace ( Galatians 5:4 ) so they were required to keep the entire law! ( Galatians 5:3 ). We are not able to keep the entire law its impossible ( Romans 3:23 ).

Last edited:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

I believe that many people in the church today have a misunderstanding of what the Lord is saying. Before I delve into this I want to clarify in saying that I'm not sure if this view has been proposed before or not. Also, I could be wrong, I am not claiming certainty.

Many people understand this verse to be saying that you need faith AND WORKS to be saved because Jesus tells the sinners(workers of iniquity/lawlessness) to depart from him. If this is the case it seems to contradict all of the other claims of Jesus and the disciples that salvation comes by faith.

I believe that Jesus is referring to groups such as Jehovas Witnesses, Mormons, Muslims etc.. and let me explain why.

These groups all have obscure and incorrect versions of Jesus Christ. Jehovas Witnesses believe that Jesus was the first MADE creation, Micheal the Archangel and that he is the brother of Lucifer. This is false according to scripture- See Hebrews 1 . The Mormons believe that Jesus was a man who through his obedience to the Father's law, became a god. This is also false. See Isaiah 43:10 and Isaiah 44:6 . and Muslims say that Jesus was just a prophet. This is false. See Hebrews 1:8 , Revelation 22:13 , Matthew 12:8 . Obviously there are many more examples to disprove all of these, but, you get my point. This is a false Jesus and we know that God doesn't fellowship or hear the unbelievers John 9:31

The thing that all man made religions have in common is the need for good works and the belief that good deeds outweighs bad deeds, and if you have more good then bad then you get to Heaven. The three groups I mentioned all believe in works based salvation. They believe that if they are obedient enough then they will be able to make it to Heaven. Of course we understand that this is false: Galatians 5:3 and Galatians 2:16 . If a man is to be justified by works then we are required to keep EVERY LAW. We know this is not possible and the author of Galatians states it clearly here Galatians 2:21 . If we are required to keep the law, then Jesus came for no reason. Hence if these people are trying to obtain salvation by works, then they are required to keep the whole of the law, which we have seen is impossible. Hence they fail and are therefore workers of lawlessness.

So on the last day, when the people of these groups say to Jesus: " Lord, Lord have we not done many GREAT WORKS in your name?" He will say "I never knew you". These people WERE doing GREAT WORKS but they had a false Jesus, a Jesus who couldn't save by his work alone but also need their good works.

And when he calls them workers of iniquity, its not because they did not obey Gods law BUT quite the opposite, these people tried to be justified by the law. They were severed from Christ and fallen from grace ( Galatians 5:4 ) so they were required to keep the entire law! (Galatians 5:3). We are not able to keep the entire law its impossible ( Romans 3:23 ).

Jas 2:24 - You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

copyChkboxOff.gif
2Pe 3:15 - and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved

2Pe 3:16 - as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

See Matthew 25.

Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jas 2:24 - You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

copyChkboxOff.gif
2Pe 3:15 - and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved

2Pe 3:16 - as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

See Matthew 25.
I don't see the words saved or salvation is James 2:24 , could you point that out to me? Also, show me how James 2:24 is to be reconciled with Galatians, Ephesians and Romans which all teach salvation by faith.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't see the words saved or salvation is James 2:24 , could you point that out to me?

We enter in to salvation by faith alone and by grace alone. It is not a reward for anything we may have done previously, either good or bad, see Ephesians 2. It is our works afterwards that justify us and keep us in God's grace, see James, and others.

That is now and always has been the gospel. It has never changed.

Reactions: Zachm531
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

So on the last day, when the people of these groups say to Jesus: " Lord, Lord have we not done many GREAT WORKS in your name?" He will say "I never knew you". These people WERE doing GREAT WORKS but they had a false Jesus who wasn't the One and only TURE GOD, a Jesus who couldn't save by his work alone but also need their good works.

And when he calls them workers of iniquity, its not because they did not obey Gods law BUT quite the opposite, these people tried to be saved by the law. They were severed from Christ and fallen from grace ( Galatians 5:4 ) so they were required to keep the entire law! ( Galatians 5:3 ). We are not able to keep the entire law its impossible ( Romans 3:23 ).
The great debate, works v grace. You make a good point about pseudo-Christian cults. When I come to Lord Jesus as I do each day, my focus is on what He has done, not my own "good works". Those who seek to establish their own righteousness miss the point of grace.

Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
We enter in to salvation by faith alone and by grace alone. It is not a reward for anything we may have done previously, either good or bad, see Ephesians 2. It is our works afterwards that justify us and keep us in God's grace, see James, and others.

That is now and always has been the gospel. It has never changed

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

That is now and always has been the gospel. It has never changed.
God asked me a question a few years ago. He said, "What is your righteousness?" I thought for a moment. "The best I can do," I replied. Immediately I remembered the word that my righteousness is filthy rags in God's sight. So the best I can do is filthy rags as far as God is concerned. Works are the outworking of the Life of Christ within us, not an attempt to please God and get in His good books. Lord Jesus said that we would be known by our fruit. Fruit grows naturally from the tree. We are called to bear fruit, not to manufacture it.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,923,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It is our works .. that justify us .. and keep us in God's grace, see James, and others.
Hello HTacianas, it seems to me that if we are only ~first~ saved by grace, but that our salvation then rests upon the doing good works from that point on, then none are actually saved by God's grace, which is His UN-merited favor towards us (well, except for those who die immediately after God saves them, I suppose).

Romans 11
6 If it is by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.

--David

Romans 4
4 To the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due.
5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unsavable

Dec 30, 2019
Mid West
✟11,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are clearly people and churches who embrace the morality of the fallen world because they are of the world. They lead others to death with false doctrines and false promises. They substitute acceptance for love and truth for pandering. They are obvious to those whose eyes are open.

They will have a lot to answer for. It will sound something like this; "but but but but but but but..."

This topic is of especial interest to me as I fall into another category. A person who wants to do good, and knows the difference, but can't. Hence my screen name. Paul struggled so perhaps there is some hope. I'm not exactly sure how that works. I have heard so many contradictory opinions on the subject that I have absolutely no idea.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello HTacianas, it seems to me that if we are ~first~ saved by grace, but that our salvation after that rests upon our doing of good works to remain saved, then none are actually saved by God's grace, which is His UN-merited favor towards us (well, except those who die immediately after God saves them, I suppose).

Romans 11
6 If it is by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.

--David

Romans 4
4 To the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due.
5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.

You are correct.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,150.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This topic is of especial interest to me as I fall into another category. A person who wants to do good, and knows the difference, but can't. Hence my screen name. Paul struggled so perhaps there is some hope. I'm not exactly sure how that works. I have heard so many contradictory opinions on the subject that I have absolutely no idea.
You are here so by your own choice you are savable, not by anyone here but of your own accord. :) Otherwise you wouldn't bother.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,401,658.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Agree. I was talking to a JW about the divinity of Lord Jesus. He said he knew that Jesus is not God but acknowledged that He will be the King and Lord of Earth. But this person does not believe Jesus is God or that the Holy Spirit is an indwelling person within us.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There are clearly people and churches who embrace the morality of the fallen world because they are of the world. They lead others to death with false doctrines and false promises. They substitute acceptance for love and truth for pandering. They are obvious to those whose eyes are open.

They will have a lot to answer for. It will sound something like this; "but but but but but but but..."

Read Romans and Galatians my man

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,923,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You are correct.
Thank you, but now I am also confused ;) .. because you wrote earlier,
We enter in to salvation by faith alone and by grace alone .. BUT .. It is our works afterwards that justify us and keep us in God's grace, see James, and others.
So, how do you reconcile this (at least seeming) contradiction (that we are saved both by grace AND by our works)?

Thanks!

--David

Romans 11

Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Agree. I was talking to a JW about the divinity of Lord Jesus. He said he knew that Jesus is not God but acknowledged that He will be the King and Lord of Earth. But this person does not believe Jesus is God or that the Holy Spirit is an indwelling person within us.
“Unless you believe that I AM(in greek: ego eimi), you will die in your sins”
-Jesus
John 8:24

Exodus 3:14

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,150.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't know anything about JW's other than their daughters were not allowed to befriend the rest of us back in high school. Outcasts by their own hand as if the rest of us weren't a big enough problem.

But consider that while here, Jesus did nothing of His own will but only the will of the Father. As a result He became King of a Kingdom created by and come down from Heaven and the Father. A Kingdom where Jesus will reign but the Father will also dwell and Jesus will be the conduit between the Father and the inhabitants of the Kingdom. Meanwhile the HS (a guiding wind according to the Jews) was sent by Jesus to help guide those on the path to the Kingdom, so as to hopefully not fall by the wayside once having rejected the world and ways of mankind.

So ... how does that compare to what you said?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, but now I am also confused ;) .. because you wrote earlier,

So, how do you reconcile this (at least seeming) contradiction (that we are saved both by grace AND by our works)?

Thanks!

--David

Romans 11

We *enter into* salvation by grace through faith. We *remain* in that salvation based on our conduct. Now, after we enter into salvation do we continue to sin, or are we obedient?

Rom 6:16 - Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?

And even more direct:

Heb 10:26 - For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Heb 10:27 - but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

• Useful
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0