Hayward
✟16,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is something that is one of the reasons my faith struggles: obligations.

My mom had me go to this prayer group every Sunday after mass... I didn't think I belong here or even carry those learnings to the outside world. I didn't ask to go here; my mom just told me and that was it. Going to mass every Sunday was enough for my routine, but since I don't drive yet or have anyone else to take me home, I have to depend on my mom to take me there. Even if it meant going to the group.

It overwhelms me because I felt so hypocritical that what was prayed does not reflect the life I live in.

I don't go there as often... but my mom would take me there if she wanted. If I go, I would just stay quiet and not say a word there

What's worse is that I was very passive and guilty about it, I didn't want to hurt my mom's feelings about it by telling her how I truly feel.

Please... talk something that can make sense for me.

• Prayers
Reactions: mukk_in

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Its tough when you have to rely on someone else for transportation. I can see your problem. The prior poster offered a good idea. Spend time here and grow and one day you can speak candidly with your mom. You sound very young. Your mom has your soul in mind and only your best Be sure to remember that. Don't get discouraged. God will show you the way, be patient.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My mom had me go to this prayer group every Sunday after mass... I didn't think I belong here or even carry those learnings to the outside world. I didn't ask to go here; my mom just told me and that was it. Going to mass every Sunday was enough for my routine, but since I don't drive yet or have anyone else to take me home, I have to depend on my mom to take me there. Even if it meant going to the group.

It overwhelms me because I felt so hypocritical that what was prayed does not reflect the life I live in.

I don't go there as often... but my mom would take me there if she wanted. If I go, I would just stay quiet and not say a word there

What's worse is that I was very passive and guilty about it, I didn't want to hurt my mom's feelings about it by telling her how I truly feel.

Your mother means well.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It's not uncommon at all! .. especially, you say you are 17, you are becoming more independent. You're not actually a kid anymore, like mukk_in has said, he's 48 and he's still Momma's little boy to her! .. but yeah, you are a grown up now, and you know that what you believe is a thing that belongs to you - you are asking questions with a grown up's authority (expectation/responsibility) - as compared to a child who just wholly trusts the grown ups to provide everything (in part this is where the wisdom of Mark 10:15 has value).

So part of that process is coming to know that the contrition of the prayers belongs to someone who has been a bit of a prodigal son .. they have received some conviction for their sin and have come home to Christianity with a new appreciation for the mercy and salvation, knowing that God does want to save us from the wages of our sin ("it is good for a man to bear the yoke in his youth" - Galatians 6:7-9). But, it also is not good to live a lie and to end up resenting church because it's boring, wasting your time and making you uncomfortable .. so again as mukk_in has said, if you look around for another church who is more likely to speak in the way that will help your faith to grow, then your Mom should see a positive change, and be grateful to see an enthusiasm.

I would suggest that you should ring around some of the local churches and find out if any of them have youth groups, because at your age you want to make the most of the ability to do fun stuff and talk about the big topics before everyone gets carried off by the machine of working and putting food on the table.

Also, check out this booklet, because although we are raised in a family that goes to church and we know all the bible stories, nobody ever sat down and explained it to us like they would have if we had never heard of it before.

Upvote 0