• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I may be losing control of my thoughts

Job405

Jesus Christ Matters
Site Supporter
May 17, 2020
Uusimaa
✟143,890.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've had all kinds of evil thoughts recently and can't seem to control my thoughts. I know which are mine and which are intrusive. To voluntarily think my own thoughts requires some cognitive effort whereas intrusive thoughts appear without any effort.

Now in addition to having intrusive thoughts I seem to compulsively think these evil thoughts myself, and I hate it. It's like I am losing control of my thoughts and my mind is becoming increasingly evil.

Please pray for me.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I've had all kinds of evil thoughts recently and can't seem to control my thoughts. I know which are mine and which are intrusive. To voluntarily think my own thoughts requires some cognitive effort whereas intrusive thoughts appear without any effort.

Now in addition to having intrusive thoughts I seem to compulsively think these evil thoughts myself, and I hate it. It's like I am losing control of my thoughts and my mind is becoming increasingly evil.

Please pray for me.
If you are losing control of your thoughts its because to have not been exercising your will to maintain control. Usually this is because Christians are not aware of spiritual principles involved. 2 Corinthians 10:5 talks about spiritual warfare. It is in the mind. Our thoughts are our own, so Paul is talking to us as individuals. Other people's thoughts are outside of my control, but I sure need to deal with my own.

Evil spirits have access to our minds - not our spirit man. They inject thoughts, pretending to be you. For example, I had a random thought that it was going to be a cold winter. I had no basis for the thought and I rejected it. Winter that year was quite mild and I did not need to buy warmer clothes. The question is always, "Did I choose to think that thought?" If we did, fine. If not, we should resist the thought by the exercise of our will.

If we have lost control of our thoughts, we must take back control. We must "take every thought and make it obey Christ". We do this best by speaking out against the thought in Jesus name. We must be diligent. If our minds have been under attack for a while, it may take time to regain complete control. Ask the Lord to show you what lies you have accepted. Some people have thoughts of being great preachers or successful in worldly things. Some imagine that they will marry a certain person. Some people are driven to despair by negative thoughts.

Evil spirits pretend to be you so they will not go against your personality. The extrovert becomes unruly and obnoxious while the introvert retreats further and further into self. Christians may be rendered ineffective in this way.

You will need to fight. One day, you will notice that your mind is clear and stray thoughts no longer bother you. Then it is a matter of keeping your guard up. It will get easier. One of the lies that evil spirits throw at you is that it is all too hard. Rubbish. We can do all things through Christ!

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Please pray for me.
I'm afraid I must disagree with the idea of trying to exert more control over your thoughts. Your OCD is manipulative and creative; it seems to know what will bother you the most, and makes you feel like you want to think/feel those things. So, instead of putting more pressure on yourself to control your thoughts, which actually makes you think of them more because you're trying so hard not to think of them, the way to subvert OCD's game is to ignore them. In my opinion, your mind is not evil (not more than anyone else's, anyway). We all think weird, bad, disturbing thoughts in one form or another. It's just that people without OCD are able to filter these thoughts through much more swiftly, almost sub-consciously, while those of us with OCD notice them, become afraid that we really mean them, and then start a whole process of trying to get rid of them, which plays directly into the OCD's hand. We have to train our brains to do what other people's brains do naturally - that is, recognize that thoughts are just thoughts, they don't inherently mean something terrible about us, and we have the power to choose to ignore them and keep doing what is important in our lives (daily activities, following God, etc.) without focusing on the weird thoughts and feelings and trying to get rid of them by doing compulsions. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0