I haven't truly repented and I'm not saved. What now?

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi @Danielwright2311 perhaps I can help clear things up. First, by Christ calling God the Father "Father" is a statement of relationship not of hierarchy in the sense that God the Father Created Jesus. If Jesus is a created being then He is not God and we are merely awaiting certain death and eternal punishment. But that is a subject for a later discussion.

I would agree with everything @St_Worm2 amd @redleghunter and would add that if you read Genesis carefully you will pick up on something you may have missed before.

Gen 1:1 (ESV)
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

The word for God in Hebrew in the passage is אֱלֹהִים or Elohim which is the plural form of God. Later in the creation account we have this odd expression:

Gen 1:26 (ESV)
26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.

Who is God the Father speaking with? Luckily in our Bibles we have an answer because John picks up on this language in the prologue to his Gospel:

John 1:1-3 (ESV)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Or Jesus' High Priestly Prayer in John 17:1-5 (ESV)

When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

I would also point out that historical creeds of Christendom also pick up on this teaching as well:
The Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed:
I believe in one God, . . . And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of His Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made. . . .

From the Athanasian Creed:

Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Spirit:
the Father uncreated, the Son uncreated, the Holy Spirit uncreated;
the Father infinite, the Son infinite, the Holy Spirit infinite;
the Father eternal, the Son eternal, the Holy Spirit eternal.
And yet there are not three Eternals, but one Eternal,
just as there are not three Uncreated or three Infinites, but one Uncreated and one Infinite.
In the same way, the Father is almighty, the Son almighty, the Holy Spirit almighty;
and yet there are not three Almighties but one Almighty.
So the Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God;
and yet there are not three Gods, but one God.

I may be a bit biased in selecting this one ;).
There is much more to say but in order to help I linked to the full text of the above creeds so you can read them yourself.

I hope this helps :).

Thanks for clearing that up for me,

Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

You can not deny Jesus own words, thank you, brother.

As I have read all the bible over and over I forgot this very passage, or just inored it.

Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am curious, where is the list of Gods terms found in the Bible. That list should be in one location given by one of the authors of the Bible so people will know Gods terms (of course this term list could be repeated by several Bible authors and be in more than one location in the Bible).
If this list of terms is not found in one location given by God to a Biblical author and you are taking this scripture and that scripture and creating a list of terms, from your chosen verses. Then you are creating a man made list of terms and then this term list is not from God but of man and is a false work salvation.
What I believe and have faith in is all from God, nothing from "man". We know from God's word that it's impossible to be pleasing to God without faith, for he that comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. How do we get faith? Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Except ye repent you shall die in your sins. If you confess Me before men then I will confess you before my Father in heaven. Confession is made unto salvation. And they were cut to the heart and said men and bretheren what shall we do. Peter said to them repent and let everyone of you be baptized into Christ Jesus for the remission of sins. For as many of you who have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. All of this is from God's word...there's plenty more. All that I know and all that I could ever know comes, or will come from His written word. To my knowledge God never said He would make a list, one through however many, not to mention arrange them all on one page within a few verses. He doesn't speak directly to me as in times past.. God, who at sundry times and in diverse manners spake in times past to the farthers through the prophets, hath in these last days spoken to us by His Son. I've often thought it would be nice if i had a direct line where i could converse with the Almighty. I do have prayer where I can speak to Him but He speaks back to me via His word. I'm not at liberty to put stipulations on God concerning His plan of salvation, I'm part of the reason Jesus had to endure the cruel cross of calvary.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What I believe and have faith in is all from God, nothing from "man". We know from God's word that it's impossible to be pleasing to God without faith, for he that comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. How do we get faith? Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Except ye repent you shall die in your sins. If you confess Me before men then I will confess you before my Father in heaven. Confession is made unto salvation. And they were cut to the heart and said men and bretheren what shall we do. Peter said to them repent and let everyone of you be baptized into Christ Jesus for the remission of sins. For as many of you who have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. All of this is from God's word...there's plenty more. All that I know and all that I could ever know comes, or will come from His written word. To my knowledge God never said He would make a list, one through however many, not to mention arrange them all on one page within a few verses. He doesn't speak directly to me as in times past.. God, who at sundry times and in diverse manners spake in times past to the farthers through the prophets, hath in these last days spoken to us by His Son. I've often thought it would be nice if i had a direct line where i could converse with the Almighty. I do have prayer where I can speak to Him but He speaks back to me via His word. I'm not at liberty to put stipulations on God concerning His plan of salvation, I'm part of the reason Jesus had to endure the cruel cross of calvary.
So i am guessing from your post your list is repentance, confession, baptism and faith

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't really consider it a "list", certainly not an exhaustive one. There's much more like loving my neighbor as myself, helping those in need when I can...trying to fashion my life each day into the resemblance of Christ untill the day they put me in a box. However I can never earn a salvation. If I told you to come and see me, get a key from me, and go open a box that I would then give you it's contents, one million dollars. When you did that, would you have earned that money? No, you simply followed the directions to receive that which I graciously gave you. Very much, if not exactly the same. Has God said anywhere that if I don't help an orphan that He will condemn me to hell? No, but I also know that He did not command Nadad and Abihu to NOT offer strange fire to Him. All scripture is given by inspiration, profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't really consider it a "list", certainly not an exhaustive one. There's much more like loving my neighbor as myself, helping those in need when I can...trying to fashion my life each day into the resemblance of Christ untill the day they put me in a box. However I can never earn a salvation. If I told you to come and see me, get a key from me, and go open a box that I would then give you it's contents, one million dollars. When you did that, would you have earned that money? No, you simply followed the directions to receive that which I graciously gave you. Very much, if not exactly the same. Has God said anywhere that if I don't help an orphan that He will condemn me to hell? No, but I also know that He did not command Nadad and Abihu to NOT offer strange fire to Him. All scripture is given by inspiration, profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

You are giving a miss representation to salvation as a gift.
When a person is given a gift there are no directions as you have implied like coming to get a key having to open the box etc..

I received a few gifts at christmas and all i had to do was accept the gift.

That is the idea given by the Bible stating that eternal life is a gift of God. God has done all the work, the coming, the getting the key and the opening of the box God has done that part. All a person is ask to do is to receive/believe His(God's) offer.

You are taking actions that should be directed toward your rewards, to be judged at the judgment seat of The Messiah and using them in your attempt to have them applied toward your salvation.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All a person is ask to do is to receive/believe His(God's) offer.

In order to believe this to be true one would be requied to ignore, cut out, blot out, or use man's superior knowledge to somehow explain away sooo much scripture it is absurd. The Bible says what it says and one either accepts it or rejects it. The devils also believe and tremble... There are so many verses that teach that faith only is worthless. Well, maybe if you believe and are a "good person"? Cornelius was a devout man, he and his entire household and yet according to God's word was lost. A half truth is a complete lie and the easiest way to deceive people. I have not joined this forum to argue with anyone. As a Christian I am required by God to proclaim the truth.

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've been a "Christian" for over a year now, but in the past few hours, I've just been convicted that I'm not truly saved. I listened to a sermon called Repentance unto Life by Charles Spurgeon, and in it, he said this about false repentance:

"You are afraid of damnation, but you are not afraid of sinning: you are afraid of hell, but you are not afraid of your iniquities; you are afraid of being cast into the pit, but not afraid to harden your hearts against his commands. Is it not true, O sinner, that you are trembling at hell? It is not the soul's state that troubles you, but hell. If hell were extinguished, your repentance would be extinguished; if the terrors awaiting you were withdrawn, you would sin with a higher hand than before, and your soul would be hardened, and would rebel against its sovereign. "

This struck me like a load of bricks, because it describes me to a tee. I've never experienced genuine sorrow over my sin itself, only sorrow over the consequences of it (that is, Hell). I don't know what to do. I know that I can't well up a true repentance inside of myself, so all I can do is beg God to give me that sincere repentance. And that's terrifying, because what if I beg and beg for it, and He doesn't grant it to me? I'm not really sure why I'm typing this out. I'm not sure if it's a cry for advice or comfort, but I need someone to say something because I'm lost.

Do you have memory issues? It should be incredibly easy for a normal adult to recognize where they have messed up in life. You seem to also have the basic intelligence to understand that errors (sins) have a ripple effect and tend to mess up the world and the lives of the people around you.

You obviously need to contemplate this as your first step. Pretty sure everyone can agree on that!

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This struck me like a load of bricks, because it describes me to a tee. I've never experienced genuine sorrow over my sin itself, only sorrow over the consequences of it (that is, Hell). I don't know what to do. I know that I can't well up a true repentance inside of myself, so all I can do is beg God to give me that sincere repentance. And that's terrifying, because what if I beg and beg for it, and He doesn't grant it to me? I'm not really sure why I'm typing this out. I'm not sure if it's a cry for advice or comfort, but I need someone to say something because I'm lost.

There is only one thing God intends should motivate your fellowship with Him: love. When you love God with all of who you are (Matthew 22:36-38), it isn't the threat of hell that prompts you to obedience but a deep heart's desire for God. We inevitably pursue and revolve around those things that we love. For example, my friend loves golf and so he spends many hours, and thousands of dollars in fees, and much energy in practice and play every season. And he does so joyfully. The cost of playing golf is not at all a barrier to enjoying playing golf. So, too, with God. When you love Him, obedience to Him is a joy; when you love Him, centering your life around Him makes perfect sense; when you love Him, forsaking the sin that hinders fellowship with Him is a top priority; when love is the motivator of your walk with God, fear of hell doesn't come into it.

What you need to ask of God, then, is not sincere repentance but a deep love for Him. It is from such love that true repentance arises, you see. And God will not stint in giving you a proper love for Him. Actually, all the love He can give you resides within the Holy Spirit whom He sends to dwell within all of His children:

Romans 5:5
5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Galatians 5:22
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love...

If you are indwelt by God's Spirit but not filled with a love for Him, it is always because you have not yet surrendered yourself to Him. Surrender is not a feeling, of course, but a commitment of the will to yield to the Spirit's control moment-by-moment. It is only in a place of submission and surrender to Him that the Spirit is free to transform the life of a sinner into that of a saint and to fill him with a love for God. But, of course, that surrender is also the work of God in each believer. He must bring each of us to a place of death to ourselves and submission to Himself.

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

1 Peter 5:6
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,

Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been a "Christian" for over a year now, but in the past few hours, I've just been convicted that I'm not truly saved. I listened to a sermon called Repentance unto Life by Charles Spurgeon, and in it, he said this about false repentance:

"You are afraid of damnation, but you are not afraid of sinning: you are afraid of hell, but you are not afraid of your iniquities; you are afraid of being cast into the pit, but not afraid to harden your hearts against his commands. Is it not true, O sinner, that you are trembling at hell? It is not the soul's state that troubles you, but hell. If hell were extinguished, your repentance would be extinguished; if the terrors awaiting you were withdrawn, you would sin with a higher hand than before, and your soul would be hardened, and would rebel against its sovereign. "

This is my main concern with the hellfire and brimstone preaching that I hear these days. It's not that the mention of hell should be avoided, the warning of judgment is part of the Holy Spirit's message.
  • But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I (Jesus) am going away. For if I do not go away, the Advocate (the Holy Spirit) will not come to you, but if I go, I will send Him to you. And when He comes, He will prove the world wrong concerning sin and righteousness and judgment— concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; concerning righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will see Me no longer; and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been condemned. “I (Jesus) have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now- John 16:7-12
However, judgment is only one side of the Gospel, and our delivery of that life-saving message needs to include the imputed righteousness of Christ and His atonement for our sins as well. When one makes the specter of hell the main and only objective reason of why we need to repent, I believe we do a great disservice to the character of God. I've even heard from the pulpit that Jesus talked about hell more than He did heaven. That is patently false! Check out your concordance. Sure, we should fear God's judgment before we are saved, and if we are following the world as our role model instead of the Word of God; for the world has truly already been condemned. And I did fear God's judgment before His advent in my heart. However, that is not what brought me to my knees and ultimately to Christ. It is God's kindness and love that should lead us to repentance and that is Biblical truth.
  • Romans 2:4 Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? - NKJV
  • Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? - ESV
God's love and perseverance, in saving reckless sinners by the way of the cross, is what Peter preached and which broke the hearts of thousands on that first Pentecost:
  • Acts 2:21-25 And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.'
  • "Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know— Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death; whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it.....
It was the contrast between my sins, selfishness, and the love of Christ, seeing how my Lord Jesus sacrificed Himself for me, that led me to repentance and, ultimately, to my embryonic and spiritual rebirth in Christ. So, confronted with the truth that Jesus took my sins upon Himself on that cross, in that Divine act of co-creative love by the will of the Father, is when my conception as a child of God became codified. God's love delivered me from evil's hold on my soul and that is what broke me down. So, ultimately, It was this contrast between God's love and the lack of love on my part that made the difference. God, amazing love clearly came into view, as my Chaplain exegeted it word for word from the Scriptures that day I was reborn in Christ, my Lord. Whenever I hear bragging phrases like 'sinning boldly', as if we should continue in our sin, it raises a rebuke within my soul. It did Paul as well:
  • Romans 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
Being born again should be somewhat akin to falling in love. We may have been attracted to others before that holy conception fired our hearts in Christ but, once our betrothal to the Lord has come into our life. we will have eyes for no other. We may fail Him a thousand times over but He will never fail us! We begin to see this through the prism of God's love; the Lord is completely and forever faithful toward us, His work in progress. Born in us is that desire to be with Him and emulate His law of love just as He does, and come to full-term, as we become less and He more and more overshadows who we are. He defines who we are in Him, from the least of His to the greatest in Him. If we fail 70 X 7 times He still remains faithful toward us and picks us up from off the floor. That has only increased my love for Him and my desire to live faithfully in His Truth and rid myself of anything that might hinder or stand in the way of a purer and more loving relationship built on both love and truth. The Father is looking for worshippers who will worship Him in Spirit and Truth. The truth is that we are all broken-clay vessels but yet we are still vessels that miraculously hold the Spirit of God, despite the cracks, and so we are able to carry on the work of our Lord. It is not our performance He desires to see but our undivided heart of love that will continue in Him. He indeed sanctifies the rest and will ultimately edify His work in us (Ephesians 2:11) to become His finished product - the one He gave His all for and the reason He came. His children from every tribe, tongue and nation. Isaiah 49:5-7.

The fact that you feel right now you have not measured up is a sure sign the Spirit is upon you and draing you. Just keep falling in love with your Lord and Savior and that fallen nature within you will not only begin to transform but complete Hi work in you as a lover of God, raising you both now and eternally.
In Christ, John 17:0

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

You don't beg God for repentance. You repent and ask God for forgiveness. Repenting means you acknowledge what is wrong, and then turn from it, and continue on a path that will maintain it which is keeping that relationship with God.

Its a matter of whether or not you want to do it. Up to you. But if you draw nigh to God, He will draw nigh to you.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Repentance isn't a once-and-done deal. The Christian life is a life of daily, regular repentance. Repentance is the Christian lifestyle, we could say. At no point in our Christian journey in this life are we perfect, complete, etc we are works in progress. There is the continued struggle between the "old man" and the "new man"; having received the new man by the grace of God, through faith, there remains still the old man like a monkey on our backs provoking, prodding, etc. And so we continually repent, to die daily, to drown the old man again and again in repentance.

It's not about "meaning it", as though by your own strength and power could possibly ever do anything to merit God's forgiveness; that forgiveness is yours freely because of what Jesus has already done. God forgives you, that is objectively true. Trust in that, trust what God has already done for you, that is your hope and salvation.

Seek repentance, not because by it you can earn anything by it, but because Christ calls us to a life of carrying our cross, to give of ourselves freely in love to others.

God doesn't need your good works, but your neighbor does.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If repentance is a requirement for a person's salvation, then there is not a single person besides Jesus who is heaven.
It is or the LORD wouldn't have Given us the LORDS Prayer. Matthew 6:9-13

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It is or the LORD wouldn't have Given us the LORDS Prayer. Matthew 6:9-13

Saying The Lord's prayer gives no one God's free gift of Eternal Life. The only way a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life is by faith in The Messiah.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,419.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The fact is God is gracious enough to forgive us even if our repentance seems shallow. Don't walk away from God's gracious offer of forgiveness just because of a man's sermon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

packermann

Nov 30, 2003
Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, IL
✟45,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican

The word "repent" in the New Testament is used in the present, continuous tense. This means that we are called to continually or repeatedly repent. As we grow spiritually we move more from repentance due to our fear of God and more to love of God. But this will not happen overnight..

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not "truly" repented? What does that mean?
Not sorrowful enough? How are such things measured?
Not saved? STOP !!!!!!

Could you have been more sorrowful? (sure)
Were you sorrowful enough to be saved? (sorrow is not a requirement)

Oftentimes the terms confession and repentance are either confused or used interchangeably. Two different things.
Confession means to agree with God about your sin. (singular) Repentance means to turn away from sin. (singular)

Charles Spurgeon is a famous preacher, and I used to read his writings.
But I avoid him now because of the abusive fire and brimstone preaching. Check out some of the topics
on Christian Universalism in the Controversial Christian Theology area.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Saying The Lord's prayer gives no one God's free gift of Eternal Life. The only way a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life is by faith in The Messiah.
not sure why you seem to think I implied you don't have to be BORN AGAIN?
The LORD didn't give that Prayer to Unbelievers or it wouldn't start with 'our father'?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
not sure why you seem to think I implied you don't have to be BORN AGAIN?
The LORD didn't give that Prayer to Unbelievers or it wouldn't start with 'our father'?
Well i originally posted a comment, about repentance not being a requirement for a person to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life. You replied to my post about The Lord's prayer. So i thought you were saying that saying The Lord's prayer gives a person God's free gift of Eternal Life.

So what was your point, posting about The Lord's prayer to my comment.

And addressing your last post to my comment. Unbelievers can say that prayer just like a believer, so saying The Lords prayer, is really no sign that the person saying that prayer is a believer.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0