I haven't truly repented and I'm not saved. What now?

cerulean

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2018
Missouri
✟37,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I've been a "Christian" for over a year now, but in the past few hours, I've just been convicted that I'm not truly saved. I listened to a sermon called Repentance unto Life by Charles Spurgeon, and in it, he said this about false repentance:

"You are afraid of damnation, but you are not afraid of sinning: you are afraid of hell, but you are not afraid of your iniquities; you are afraid of being cast into the pit, but not afraid to harden your hearts against his commands. Is it not true, O sinner, that you are trembling at hell? It is not the soul's state that troubles you, but hell. If hell were extinguished, your repentance would be extinguished; if the terrors awaiting you were withdrawn, you would sin with a higher hand than before, and your soul would be hardened, and would rebel against its sovereign. "

This struck me like a load of bricks, because it describes me to a tee. I've never experienced genuine sorrow over my sin itself, only sorrow over the consequences of it (that is, Hell). I don't know what to do. I know that I can't well up a true repentance inside of myself, so all I can do is beg God to give me that sincere repentance. And that's terrifying, because what if I beg and beg for it, and He doesn't grant it to me? I'm not really sure why I'm typing this out. I'm not sure if it's a cry for advice or comfort, but I need someone to say something because I'm lost.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like you weren't really called to repentance. Not to worry, many in the church aren't. Your soul isn't in danger until you reject God's grace. Since it seems you haven't yet received it you can hardly reject it.

Also, the wages of unrepented sin is death, not eternal life in torment (with all respect to Mr. Spurgeon).

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I've been a "Christian" for over a year now, but in the past few hours, I've just been convicted that I'm not truly saved. I listened to a sermon called Repentance unto Life by Charles Spurgeon, and in it, he said this about false repentance:

"You are afraid of damnation, but you are not afraid of sinning: you are afraid of hell, but you are not afraid of your iniquities; you are afraid of being cast into the pit, but not afraid to harden your hearts against his commands. Is it not true, O sinner, that you are trembling at hell? It is not the soul's state that troubles you, but hell. If hell were extinguished, your repentance would be extinguished; if the terrors awaiting you were withdrawn, you would sin with a higher hand than before, and your soul would be hardened, and would rebel against its sovereign. "

This struck me like a load of bricks, because it describes me to a tee. I've never experienced genuine sorrow over my sin itself, only sorrow over the consequences of it (that is, Hell). I don't know what to do. I know that I can't well up a true repentance inside of myself, so all I can do is beg God to give me that sincere repentance. And that's terrifying, because what if I beg and beg for it, and He doesn't grant it to me? I'm not really sure why I'm typing this out. I'm not sure if it's a cry for advice or comfort, but I need someone to say something because I'm lost.
Time to worry, that is to be "TERRIFIED" as written - "Be terrified lest any one of you be found to fail to make it, fail to endure to the end"...

(even for those who did truly repent once and were immersed in Jesus' Name)

So what to do now ? Cry out to God. Pray like you never prayed before.

Sometimes it takes six months. Sometimes six seconds. Maybe six years. As God works in you, causing you /me/ to realize how far we are from Him, how wicked we (all) are, and how our only chance at all is to cast ourselves on His Mercy Completely and Utterly.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Repentance (as opposed to just feeling guilty) is a gift from the Holy Spirit due to His conviction (John 16:8). Rev. Spurgeon has given an opinion on repentance. But only you'll know in the Holy Spirit if you're truly penitent. Another hallmark of true repentance is that you'll seek forgiveness like Peter (godly sorrow) as opposed to condemning yourself like Judas (2 Corinthians 7:10). Seems to me that you're beating yourself up:). Keep walking in His light (1 John 1:7) and let the Holy Spirit, not your conscience, be your guide (2 Corinthians 7:15). If you're not sure you received the Holy Spirit, then please ask the Lord now (Acts 19:2). God bless:).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cerulean

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2018
Missouri
✟37,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Time to worry, that is to be "TERRIFIED" as written - "Be terrified lest any one of you be found to fail to make it, fail to endure to the end"...

(even for those who did truly repent once and were immersed in Jesus' Name)

So what to do now ? Cry out to God. Pray like you never prayed before.

Sometimes it takes six months. Sometimes six seconds. Maybe six years. As God works in you, causing you /me/ to realize how far we are from Him, how wicked we (all) are, and how our only chance at all is to cast ourselves on His Mercy Completely and Utterly.

What if I cry out to Him to give me true repentance, and it never comes? Then is there any hope left for me?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

If repentance is a requirement for a person's salvation, then there is not a single person besides Jesus who is heaven.

Reactions: Codi Weston
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What if I cry out to Him to give me true repentance, and it never comes? Then is there any hope left for me?

Certainly...the second resurrection.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If repentance is a requirement for a person's salvation, then there is not a single person besides Jesus who is heaven.
Wrong.

Remember it is written, and stands written, without repentance is NO forgiveness of sin.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

He's the only one up there anyway.

John 3:13
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, well, frankly, there are some Calvinist preachers who seem to split hairs on what is and is not a valid form of what they might describe as "saving faith" within the context of their concept of election. It gets technical. Won't go into it here.

I understand faith, works, love, obedience, fear, and humility as all *parts* of an unfolding walk with Christ, the end of which is our final salvation. We have been saved, we are being saved, and we shall be saved. So, learning to hate sin and feeling genuine, heart-rending contrition for sin may in fact take time to grow in our hearts as we follow Christ, and as through His grace, we see our true natures more clearly.

Prayer, for me, has always been the foundation and lifeblood of our walks in Christ. The more we pray, the more we come near to Christ, the more His Heart illumines our wrechedness, the more we love Him, the littler we become. This, too, is a journey.

So, don't panic. Just pray. Do you love Him? Do you know that He loves you? Are you willing to let Him help you live for Him and avoid sin? Good! Maybe just begin there. Talk to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
God never withholds the Holy Spirit from anyone (Luke 11:13). My guess is that you've already received Him and are forgiven, you just need to believe Him:).

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Wrong.

Remember it is written, and stands written, without repentance is NO forgiveness of sin.
Do you want eternal life, if so the requirement to be given eternal life. Is belief,trust,faith (really all the same). As Jesus tells people again and again in John(gospel of). Believe that he is the promised Messiah from the Old Testament prophecies and trust in Jesus for His gift of His eternal life. Then The Messiah will give you his eternal life. Eternal life is found no where else, no where. So if you do not look to the Messiah and only the Messiah you are looking in vain.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
1 John 1:9 is the grassroots Scripture. Confession is telling God about the areas of your life that you consider as sin, and agree with God that they are sinful. You are able to make the choice to turn away from willful sin. If you are addicted to sinful habit patterns, you can ask the Holy Spirit to help you get the victory over them.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It seems your focus is a bit off. Rather than wanting to be saved or wanting to repent only because you are afraid of the consequences is not really the right way to go, since it is indeed true that if those consequences were removed, you wouldn't bother with any of it.

What you really need to be doing is building up your relationship with Jesus and getting to know him and learning to love him. When you love him so much more than you love your sin and any other thing, you will sincerely desire repentance and any consequences you have feared vanish.

Move *towards* Jesus and a deeper, more mature spiritual life, and the rest will take care of itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Throw that sermon away...

The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 10:8-10

Here is a story about a boy from Georgia who made salvation too complicated and all he needed was someone to simplify the process...

After the team had been fed and we had been to supper we put the mules to the wagon, filled it with chairs and we were off to the meeting. When we reached the locality it was about dark and the people were assembling. Their horses and wagons filled up the cleared spaces and the singing was already in progress. My uncle and his family went well up toward the front, but I dropped into a seat well to the rear. It was an old-fashioned Church, ancient in appearance, oblong in shape and unpretentious. It was situated in a grove about one hundred yards from the road. It was lighted with old tallow-dip candles furnished by the neighbors. It was not a prepossessing-looking place, but it was soon crowded and evidently there was a great deal of interest. A cadaverous-looking man stood up in front with a tuning fork and raised and led the songs. There were a few prayers and the minister came in with his saddlebags and entered the pulpit. He was the Rev. W. H. Heath, the circuit rider. His prayer impressed me with his earnestness and there were many amens to it in the audience. I do not remember his text, but it was a typical revival sermon, full of unction and power.

At its close he invited penitents to the altar and a great many young people flocked to it and bowed for prayer. Many of them became very much affected and they cried out distressingly for mercy. It had a strange effect on me. It made me nervous and I wanted to retire. Directly my uncle came back to me, put his arm around my shoulder and asked me if I did not want to be religious. I told him that I had always had that desire, that mother had brought me up that way, and really I did not know anything else. Then he wanted to know if I had ever professed religion. I hardly understood what he meant and did not answer him. He changed his question and asked me if I had ever been to the altar for prayer, and I answered him in the negative. Then he earnestly besought me to let him take me up to the altar and join the others in being prayed for. It really embarrassed me and I hardly knew what to say to him. He spoke to me of my mother and said that when she was a little girl she went to the altar and that Christ accepted her and she had been a good Christian all these years. That touched me in a tender spot, for mother always did do what was right; and then I was far away from her and wanted to see her. Oh, if she were there to tell me what to do!

By and by I yielded to his entreaty and he led forward to the altar. The minister took me by the hand and spoke tenderly to me as I knelt at the altar. I had gone more out of sympathy than conviction, and I did not know what to do after I bowed there. The others were praying aloud and now and then one would rise shoutingly happy and make the old building ring with his glad praise. It was a novel experience to me. I did not know what to pray for, neither did I know what to expect if I did pray. I spent the most of the hour wondering why I was there and what it all meant. No one explained anything to me. Once in awhile some good old brother or sister would pass my way, strike me on the back and tell me to look up and believe and the blessing would come. But that was not encouraging to me. In fact, it sounded like nonsense and the noise was distracting me. Even in my crude way of thinking I had an idea that religion was a sensible thing and that people ought to become religious intelligently and without all that hurrah. I presume that my ideas were the result of the Presbyterian training given to me by old grandfather. By and by my knees grew tired and the skin was nearly rubbed off my elbows. I thought the service never would close, and when it did conclude with the benediction I heaved a sigh of relief. That was my first experience at the mourner's bench.

As we drove home I did not have much to say, but I listened attentively to the conversation between my uncle and his wife. They were greatly impressed with the meeting, and they spoke first of this one and that one who had "come through" and what a change it would make in the community, as many of them were bad boys. As we were putting up the team my uncle spoke very encouragingly to me; he was delighted with the step I had taken and he pleaded with me not to turn back, but to press on until I found the pearl of great price. He knew my mother would be very happy over the start I had made. Before going to sleep I fell into a train of thought, though I was tired and exhausted. I wondered why I had gone to that altar and what I had gained by it. I felt no special conviction and had received no special impression, but then if my mother had started that way there must be something in it, for she always did what was right. I silently lifted my heart to God in prayer for conviction and guidance. I knew how to pray, for I had come up through prayer, but not the mourner's bench sort. So I determined to continue to attend the meeting and keep on going to the altar until I got religion.

Early the next morning I was up and in a serious frame of mind. I went with the other hands to the cottonfield and at noon I slipped off in the barn and prayed. But the more I thought of the way those young people were moved in the meeting and with what glad hearts they had shouted their praises to God the more it puzzled and confused me. I could not feel the conviction that they had and my heart did not feel melted and tender. I was callous and unmoved in feeling and my distress on account of sin was nothing like theirs. I did not understand my own state of mind and heart. It troubled me, for by this time I really wanted to have an experience like theirs.

When evening came I was ready for Church service and was glad to go. It required no urging. Another large crowd was present and the preacher was as earnest as ever. I did not give much heed to the sermon. In fact, I do not recall a word of it. I was anxious for him to conclude and give me a chance to go to the altar. I had gotten it into my head that there was some real virtue in the mourner's bench; and when the time came I was one of the first to prostrate myself before the altar in prayer. Many others did likewise. Two or three good people at intervals knelt by me and spoke encouragingly to me, but they did not help me. Their talks were mere exhortations to earnestness and faith, but there was no explanation of faith, neither was there any light thrown upon my mind and heart. I wrought myself up into tears and cries for help, but the whole situation was dark and I hardly knew why I cried, or what was the trouble with me. Now and then others would arise from the altar in an ecstasy of joy, but there was no joy for me. When the service closed I was discouraged and felt that maybe I was too hardhearted and the good Spirit could do nothing for me.

After we went home I tossed on the bed before going to sleep and wondered why God did not do for me what he had done for mother and what he was doing in that meeting for those young people at the altar. I could not understand it. But I resolved to keep on trying, and so dropped off to sleep. The next day I had about the same experience and at night saw no change in my condition. And so for several nights I repeated the same distressing experience. The meeting took on such interest that a day service was adopted along with the night exercises, and we attended that also. And one morning while I bowed at the altar in a very disturbed state of mind Brother Tyson, a good local preacher and the father of Rev. J. F. Tyson, now of the Central Conference, sat down by me and, putting his hand on my shoulder, said to me: "Now I want you to sit up awhile and let's talk this matter over quietly. I am sure that you are in earnest, for you have been coming to this altar night after night for several days. I want to ask you a few simple questions." And the following questions were asked and answered:

"My son, do you not love God?"

"I cannot remember when I did not love him."

"Do you believe on his Son, Jesus Christ?"

"I have always believed on Christ. My mother taught me that from my earliest recollection."

"Do you accept him as your Savior?"

"I certainly do, and have always done so."

"Can you think of any sin that is between you and the Savior?"

"No, sir; for I have never committed any bad sins."

"Do you love everybody?"

"Well, I love nearly everybody, but I have no ill-will toward any one. An old man did me a wrong not long ago and I acted ugly toward him, but I do not care to injure him."

"Can you forgive him?"

"Yes, if he wanted me to."

"But, down in your heart, can you wish him well?"

"Yes, sir; I can do that."

"Well, now let me say to you that if you love God, if you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior from sin and if you love your fellowmen and intend by God's help to lead a religious life, that's all there is to religion. In fact, that is all I know about it."

Then he repeated several passages of Scriptures to me proving his assertions. I thought a moment and said to him: "But I do not feel like these young people who have been getting religion night after night. I cannot get happy like them. I do not feel like shouting."

The good man looked at me and smiled and said: "Ah, that's your trouble. You have been trying to feel like them. Now you are not them; you are yourself. You have your own quiet disposition and you are not turned like them. They are excitable and blustery like they are. They give way to their feelings. That's all right, but feeling is not religion. Religion is faith and life. If you have violent feeling with it, all good and well, but if you have faith and not much feeling, why the feeling will take care of itself. To love God and accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, turning away from all sin, and living a godly life, is the substance of true religion."

That was new to me, yet it had been my state of mind from childhood. For I remembered that away back in my early life, when the old preacher held services in my grandmother's house one day and opened the door of the Church, I went forward and gave him my hand. He was to receive me into full membership at the end of six months' probation, but he let it pass out of his mind and failed to attend to it.

As I sat there that morning listening to the earnest exhortation of the good man my tears ceased, my distress left me, light broke in upon my mind, my heart grew joyous, and before I knew just what I was doing I was going all around shaking hands with everybody, and my confusion and darkness disappeared and a great burden rolled off my spirit. I felt exactly like I did when I was a little boy around my mother's knee when she told of Jesus and God and Heaven. It made my heart thrill then, and the same old experience returned to me in that old country Church that beautiful September morning down in old North Georgia.

As we returned home the sun shone brighter, the birds sang sweeter and the autumn-time looked richer than ever before. My heart was light and my spirit buoyant. I had anchored my soul in the haven of rest, and there was not a ripple upon the current of my joy. That night there was no service and after supper I walked out under the great old pine trees and held communion with God. I thought of mother, and home, and Heaven.

I at once gave my name to the preacher for membership in the Church, and the following Sunday morning, along with many others, he received me into full membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. It was one of the most delightful days in my recollection. It was the third Sunday in September, 1866, and those Church vows became a living principle in my heart and life. During these forty-five long years, with their alternations of sunshine and shadow, daylight and darkness, success and failure, rejoicing and weeping, fears within and fightings without, I have never ceased to thank God for that autumnal day in the long ago when my name was registered in the Lamb's Book of Life. - The Life of George Clark Rankin

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Cerulean,
My best advice to you is simply this, read the Bible. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. I would be very careful in taking someone's "word" on the matter. The Word says that it is not any one's interpretation.... the Word says what it says. The Bible only, produces a Christian only! One must study to show himself approved. What is required to be saved? The Bible tells the anwser. If you do not hate or detest the sin that's in your life, then you need to do some soul searching. If you decide you desire to belong to Christ, joint heirs of the promise, please go by God's instruction. Not man's! So many will tell you that you only have pray the sinners prayer and ask Christ to come into your life..... There is not a single record in the Bible where someone was saved by prayer, NOT ONE.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Read this.

Psalm 51: NASB

A Contrite Sinner’s Prayer for Pardon.

For the choir director. A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.

1Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness;
According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.

2Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity
And cleanse me from my sin.

3For I know my transgressions,
And my sin is ever before me.

4Against You, You only, I have sinned
And done what is evil in Your sight,
So that You are justified when You speak
And blameless when You judge.

5Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.

6Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being,
And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.

7Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

8Make me to hear joy and gladness,
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.

9Hide Your face from my sins
And blot out all my iniquities.

10Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.

11Do not cast me away from Your presence
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

12Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And sustain me with a willing spirit.

13Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners will be converted to You.

14Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation;
Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness.

15O Lord, open my lips,
That my mouth may declare Your praise.

16For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it;
You are not pleased with burnt offering.

17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.

18By Your favor do good to Zion;
Build the walls of Jerusalem.

19Then You will delight in righteous sacrifices,
In burnt offering and whole burnt offering;
Then young bulls will be offered on Your altar.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I've been a "Christian" for over a year now, but in the past few hours, I've just been convicted that I'm not truly saved.
Hi Cerulean, would you say that the way you choose to live your life today as a Christian (what you do, say and even think) is pretty different from the way you used to live your life more than a year ago as a non-Christian? If it is, how, or in what ways, would you say that your life has changed since then?

--David
p.s. - have you talked to you pastor about this yet?

Upvote 0