I have never heard this before concerning baptism.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That when a woman's water breaks before birth is the 1st baptism. This from a ministers serman on TBN. Any comments?

I'm not sure what you would call that. Maybe an urban legend. Jesus said that one must be born again, sometimes born from above. Part of that is to be born of water, then born of the Spirit. The meaning is to be baptized in water and then receive the Spirit through the laying on of hands. Some people try to make an end run around the necessity for water baptism and substitute natural childbirth for it. Note that there are no accounts of anyone in the new testament substituting natural childbirth for water baptism. In all cases except one, people are baptized in water and then receive the Spirit. The exception is the men of Acts 10:44-48 who received the Spirit at the prayers of the Apostles and were baptized afterwards.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,982.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nope it's not one of the 3 main Biblical baptisms. There's "...the doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2).

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus reconcilng us to God (at salvation).
2- By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit and comes upon us (The Spirit baptism)
3 - By another believer (water baptism) All 3 persons of the Godhead involved in this baptism as well.

1 (Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4-9, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38; Gal 3:27, II Cor 5:17-18, Rom 10:9).
2- (Matt 3:11, 5:16; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; John 1:33, Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31)
3 -(Matt 28:18-20; Acts 8:39, 10:47, 22:16; John 3:5).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did they provide a verse from the bible , probably NOT !!@

dan p
No, it was as if it was an every day comment.. i found it really interesting because it would mean babies would be water baptized before they are born which changes a whole lot of info on the subject. And then what does that say about dry births. I should Google it and see where it comes from.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,693.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That when a woman's water breaks before birth is the 1st baptism. This from a ministers serman on TBN. Any comments?
I have seen this suggested once previously, on this forum. And I think it is nonsense. "There is....one baptism" - and St Paul was not referring to anything gynaecological when he said that. How is being born supposed to lead to the remission of sins ? But that is one of the results of undergoing Christian baptism.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't call it a baptism. But being born again does mean from "above" and we know it's God that forms in the womb the being so I do think he's talking birth and then the spirit because he follows it up with this -

John 3:6 "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

It all leads up to this verse which people think only refer to Christ

John 3:13 "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but He That came down from heaven, even the Son of man Which is in heaven."

But it coincides with this verse about coming from above-

Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God Who gave it."

I know many disagree of course but just stating my belief and that there others out there that believe this is talking physical birth as well. It's not a baptism but being born from above, God placing that spirit in the womb, etc. I think the latter verses give context, especially verse 13. Nowhere does water baptism even come into the context of these verses if one reads them in it's entirety.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums