Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I'm still young but I have been seeking for a religion almost my entire life. Until I was probably 11 or 12 I was a hardcore bonafide fedora-wearing Atheist. It's just because I was an ignorant immature kid. Then, I was super into Buddhism, trying to practice it in my everyday life; but that fell off eventually partly because it still left some things unanswered, and there is a lack of clarity in that religion that I crave.

I was convinced that I was going to become a Muslim for probably 2 years. I talked to Muslims online almost everyday and was constantly learning about Islam and doing things like reading the Quran and et cetera. I believed it was the most logical and clear religion. The Bible is clearly corrupted! There is only one true Quran which no other religions have! This is what I believed. Even now that I am convinced with conviction that I want to be a Christian, I completely reject the idea of Sola Scriptura.

But, Islam still did not work for me. It's values were so concrete and authorative and just didn't make sense to me. Why are they so focused on not eating a specific kind of meat or HAVING to pray the EXACT right way every, single, day, when they could be focusing on unconditional love or something more important? It also just didn't seem very welcoming.

I felt attracted to Christianity always, but my brain made me stay away from it. In my heart, Christianity was what I think I always truly desired. The story and depictions and values of Jesus Christ were always so compelling to me, but I turned away from them. Partly because my family rejects religion. The women in my family are self-identified as Pagans and my Dad rejects religion because he joined a cult when he was young (Mormonism).

I want to convert to Christianity now, specifically Catholicism. Is there any advice you can give me? I'm wondering if any of you have been in the same situation as me, I feel like I'll almost be socially outcast or made fun of in a way for pursuing this. I plan to visit a local Catholic Church sometime soon and have some discussions with the people there and tell them about my "story."

My advice: Don’t convert to Christianity, instead become a disciple of Christ, whichever denomination you join.

Being a disciple is about following Jesus’ words and example and it involves a change of attitude towards God.

I get the impression, based on your dabbling with Buddhism & Islam that you are looking for a ‘system’ for doing religion. Be wary if that is the case, because Christianity is about having a relationship, not following a system, though much of Catholicism is (in my opinion) following a system.

Whatever you choose, go at it with an open mind and ready to hear from God. May God bless you in your endeavours.

Upvote 0

mart1994

Sep 6, 2021
friesland
✟8,305.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey i have reading your message, and want to welcome you. I think the first steps is to understand what Christianity means, chat to people you know are cristian and can tel you more about it. Ask them any questions that's laying on your hard. I encourage also to read the bible, there are multiple apps for free so you can start learning about Christianity by your self. About the prayer, we can decide when and how much we pray to God.
Some people pray 1 times a day and other people pray multiple times.
If you have more questions please contact me on
inyeshuasfootsteps@gmail.com

Upvote 0