Canada
✟8,593.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Hello, I'm still young but I have been seeking for a religion almost my entire life. Until I was probably 11 or 12 I was a hardcore bonafide fedora-wearing Atheist. It's just because I was an ignorant immature kid. Then, I was super into Buddhism, trying to practice it in my everyday life; but that fell off eventually partly because it still left some things unanswered, and there is a lack of clarity in that religion that I crave.

I was convinced that I was going to become a Muslim for probably 2 years. I talked to Muslims online almost everyday and was constantly learning about Islam and doing things like reading the Quran and et cetera. I believed it was the most logical and clear religion. The Bible is clearly corrupted! There is only one true Quran which no other religions have! This is what I believed. Even now that I am convinced with conviction that I want to be a Christian, I completely reject the idea of Sola Scriptura.

But, Islam still did not work for me. It's values were so concrete and authorative and just didn't make sense to me. Why are they so focused on not eating a specific kind of meat or HAVING to pray the EXACT right way every, single, day, when they could be focusing on unconditional love or something more important? It also just didn't seem very welcoming.

I felt attracted to Christianity always, but my brain made me stay away from it. In my heart, Christianity was what I think I always truly desired. The story and depictions and values of Jesus Christ were always so compelling to me, but I turned away from them. Partly because my family rejects religion. The women in my family are self-identified as Pagans and my Dad rejects religion because he joined a cult when he was young (Mormonism).

I want to convert to Christianity now, specifically Catholicism. Is there any advice you can give me? I'm wondering if any of you have been in the same situation as me, I feel like I'll almost be socially outcast or made fun of in a way for pursuing this. I plan to visit a local Catholic Church sometime soon and have some discussions with the people there and tell them about my "story."

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, [even] Christ; and all ye are brethren. 9 And call no [man] your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, [even] Christ. 11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But He that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To Him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear His voice: and He calleth His own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when He putteth forth His own sheep, He goeth before them, and the sheep follow Him: for they know His voice. 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

Revelation 3:7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; 8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept My word, and hast not denied My name. 9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. 10 Because thou hast kept the word of My patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. 11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. 12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from My God: and My new name. 13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ADMIN HAT ON

Please note the following rule for this forum:
The primary focus of this forum is Christian evangelism and discipleship, not to debate Christian Theology or challenge, attack, or argue against, Christianity.

This also applies to Christians. Please do not debate tenants of different denominations, or tear down other Christians in this forum.

Some denominations believe in praying to saints, some don't. Some believe in Holy Tradition, some don't. But debate about that is not what this forum is for.

Several posts have been removed that did so.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I want to convert to Christianity now, specifically Catholicism. Is there any advice you can give me? I'm wondering if any of you have been in the same situation as me, I feel like I'll almost be socially outcast or made fun of in a way for pursuing this. I plan to visit a local Catholic Church sometime soon and have some discussions with the people there and tell them about my "story."
I went though RCIA to convert to the Roman Catholic Church. It was/is a really great program where you learn about the faith, and eventually are baptized and confirmed, almost always on Easter or Easter Vigil. I did not feel like an outcast, on the contrary it was nice to be a part of a large church with welcoming people.

I am no longer a practicing Catholic, but I hold them in high regard still, it is just not for me. I would advise you to look into the different practices of different denominations, look into the history, the Biblical beliefs and how the faith is lived daily. Try several churches and see where you feel comfortable, where the Spirit is calling you.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,589.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I want to convert to Christianity now, specifically Catholicism

May I suggest two options.
First to look up the christianityexplained web site for a church running this course in your area and contact them.
It is not a Roman Catholic course but I suggest it as an option where one can discuss issues about Christianity.
It does not commit you to attending a particular church or to become a Protestant.

If it is catholism you want then contact your local Roman Catholic church for details of there version of this course, aimed at making one a Roman Catholic.

Upvote 0

mmarco

Aug 7, 2019
Roma
✟54,312.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Hello, if you want to become catholic, you have simply to talk to a catholic priest.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Typically if I’m right, Catholic Churches will start announcing their RCIA anytime soon now. As mentioned it’s a great place to start weather you convert or not. Start by browsing local church websites for information.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I would is.. Jesus is real! Ask Him..if your so. real.. The key here is to mean it from the heart. There is no other gods out there that will answer. He is the only one. He loves you died for you.. no other has. I just trying to say.. how REAL Jesus is. Christianity.. is used so many different ways. It was first used to make fun of those that believed in Jesus. Right there.. it leads to? JESUS!

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I'm still young but I have been seeking for a religion almost my entire life. Until I was probably 11 or 12 I was a hardcore bonafide fedora-wearing Atheist. It's just because I was an ignorant immature kid. Then, I was super into Buddhism, trying to practice it in my everyday life; but that fell off eventually partly because it still left some things unanswered, and there is a lack of clarity in that religion that I crave.

I was convinced that I was going to become a Muslim for probably 2 years. I talked to Muslims online almost everyday and was constantly learning about Islam and doing things like reading the Quran and et cetera. I believed it was the most logical and clear religion. The Bible is clearly corrupted! There is only one true Quran which no other religions have! This is what I believed. Even now that I am convinced with conviction that I want to be a Christian, I completely reject the idea of Sola Scriptura.

But, Islam still did not work for me. It's values were so concrete and authorative and just didn't make sense to me. Why are they so focused on not eating a specific kind of meat or HAVING to pray the EXACT right way every, single, day, when they could be focusing on unconditional love or something more important? It also just didn't seem very welcoming.

I felt attracted to Christianity always, but my brain made me stay away from it. In my heart, Christianity was what I think I always truly desired. The story and depictions and values of Jesus Christ were always so compelling to me, but I turned away from them. Partly because my family rejects religion. The women in my family are self-identified as Pagans and my Dad rejects religion because he joined a cult when he was young (Mormonism).

Welcome to CF! We have many denominations participating in this forum. I truly believe the love for Jesus Christ of Nazareth keeps everyone connected no matter what we choose to express our love for Him. I encourage you to deepen your love for Him and recieve His Holy Spirit. His Comforter is your guild to a life truth and of righteousness.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Beloved one,
consider what we have heard:

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel' -Galatians 1:6

not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. -Galatians 1:7

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. -Galatians 1:8

As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. -Galatians 1:9

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. -Galatians 1:10

So beloved one, any church you may go to,
consider what gospel are preached to you. If the gospel preached contrary to what apostles of Jesus Christ taught, you may know that they distort the gospel and let them be accursed. So if you heed the call of the Lord Jesus Christ and His grace! Don’t turn to a different gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟392,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Beloved one,
consider what we have heard:

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel' -Galatians 1:6

not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. -Galatians 1:7

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. -Galatians 1:8

As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. -Galatians 1:9

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. -Galatians 1:10

So beloved one, any church you may go to,
consider what gospel are preached to you. If the gospel preached contrary to what apostles of Jesus Christ taught, you may know that they distort the gospel and let them be accursed. So if you heed the call of the Lord Jesus Christ and His grace! Don’t turn to a different gospel.
I agree 100%, you can't argue with scripture

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟392,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14:6

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As others have mentioned, the Catholic Church has RCIA classes for those interested in converting to Christianity in a Catholic context.

I suspect the easiest thing to do would be to get in contact with the priest of the local Catholic church to find out when RCIA classes are starting.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Christina M S

Aug 18, 2021
Mayflower
✟7,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I was raised with Catholicism. It has many good things about it but it too can be authoritative. The new Pope is easing things some but it is still very much authoritative. I became Christian at 18 but I didn't go all in. It was only after many years that I felt God. I can't explain it better than to say I felt him. Slowly I allowed him to speak words that weren't my own. Let me explain a little. My husband is a very knowledgeable in the bible. I am not. I friend was talking of her friend becoming priest for lax of a better word. She was a woman. Now I'm a modern woman and believe that women can do anything. All of the sudden I spoke "Why does she want to give up the greatest part of the church" My friend ask what I meant. I said "God gave women the biggest power within any religion. Women are the ones that teach the children about God first" my husband just smiled at me as we had never discussed this before. When we got home I asked if I was wrong. He wanted to know why I said what I did I told him it just came out and I knew what I said was right. I felt something wonderful. So I guess what I'm saying is open your heart and your soul God guides us. I know some will think I'm crazy but over the years things have happened like that and I know it came from something other than me. Follow you heart and soul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The simple remedy for you, friend, is to look to our Savior --the Lord Jesus; as in John 3; John 14 in the Holy Bible. Make the Lord Jesus the lord of your life and best friend in prayer to Him, and you will find that "peace that passeth all understanding" as God says of His Son. Write me personally at Conversation page herein if you wish to chat about it. Look up always!

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friend, start reading the Bible at John 3 and John 14 and you might hear God speaking to you! He wants you to know Him and come to Him through His "..beloved Son": the Lord Jesus. Read all the four Gospel books of the Bible to learn about salvation for Heaven and blessings now and forever.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟733,159.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is great to hear that you have decided to find out more about faith in Jesus. I have written the following article for people wanting to know what faith in Jesus is How to be saved by Jesus from Hell | Everybody Matters Ministry have a read.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Awesome.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sure, dude! First if all, welcome, shalom, and God bless you!

Why not start by attending Mass at a local Catholic Church, and talking to folks on here? You can attend Mass, just don’t go up to receive the Eucharist yet; that’s for later, one you’re received into the Church.

Being a Christian awesome. It’s a cool mix of liberating, fun, exciting, tough, and blessed. God bless you on your journey, friend, and welcome Home!

Here’s our Catholic sub-forum for ya;

One Bread, One Body - Catholic

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0