I have an Olympic question...could use others thoughts, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I don't necessarily have a problem with not boycotting the Olympics, I like that the ideal of the games is to transcend politics (even if it often doesn't rise to the ideal).

OTOH, I thought it was terrible that Pres. Bush is attending these Olympics, the first time a sitting president has attended a non-US Olympics. Though I suppose it is fitting for a president who has defended human rights violations by the US (if not ordered them) to support a country and its leaders that are guilty of even worse human rights violations.

Upvote 0

seeker777

Thinking is not a sin.
Jun 15, 2008
✟9,354.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It sends the message that it is not acceptable.

I have to agree - a boycott is very little use in the long term - personally I think China should never have been awarded the Olympics - it makes a mockery of all Olympic ideals.

However

I have no wish to watch them and so passively condone such injustice, which is why I will not be viewing any of the Olympics.

Make certain that nothing in your home and nothing you buy in the future has anything in it that has come from China.

Good luck with that, as just about everything has a component of one kind or another that was made in Chine.

Why?

The Chinese do it well and cheaper than anyone else...America loves that!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
George Bush watced the opening ceremony.

"Heh. Hey Laura, can you get me one of those over-sized foam hands proclaiming my number-oness? Heh, while you're at it, grab me one of those sweet an sour hotdogs I love so much. and nachos. And beer. They let you drink imported budweiser here, right? Heh. I don't wanna do anything to upset the Chinese. Theyre noble people. I don't wanna offend em then get run over by a tank. Heh. Hey, when do they start to play football?"

a saturday night live sketch im working on. =P

Upvote 0

seeker777

Thinking is not a sin.
Jun 15, 2008
✟9,354.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think it's great that everyone gets to openly pick on the Chinese during these Olympics.

The same people condemning China for their human rights abuses, are quite happy to pay lower prices for their toasters at Wal-Mart, thanks to the Chinese.

I smell nothin' but hypocrisy when I hear talk of boycotting the Olympics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's great that everyone gets to openly pick on the Chinese during these Olympics.

The same people condemning Chine for their human rights abuses, are quite happy to pay lower prices for their toasters at Wal-Mart, thanks to the Chinese.

I smell nothin' but hypocrisy when I hear talk of boycotting the Olympics.
I don't shop at Wal-Mart (and I don't ever plan to shop there), and I'm boycotting the Olympics. So how do you figure that all of the people who are boycotting the Olympics shop at Wal-Mart, then?

Reactions: hannahfievel
Upvote 0

seeker777

Thinking is not a sin.
Jun 15, 2008
✟9,354.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I don't shop at Wal-Mart (and I don't ever plan to shop there), and I'm boycotting the Olympics. So how do you figure that all of the people who are boycotting the Olympics shop at Wal-Mart, then?

Bahahaha.

Yeah, you make sure everything you ever buy had nothing to do with China.

America loves China for her cheap consumer goods, but it's hip and cool to suggest we boycott the Olympics...yet no one is boycotting China's cheap consumer goods! Hmmmm...I wonder why?

IT IS BECAUSE CHINA ALLOWS AMERICANS TO PURCHASE EVERYTHING FOR MUCH CHEAPER THAN THEY WOULD OTHERWISE!

That spells hypocrisy. Unless your writing letters to your congressman begging them to stop trade with China and constantly assuring you never buy anything that was made in china, save me from any sanctimonious Olympic boycott speeches. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Bahahaha.

America loves China for her cheap consumer goods, but it's hip and cool to suggest we boycott the Olympics...yet no one is boycotting China's cheap consumer goods! Hmmmm...I wonder why?

IT IS BECAUSE CHINA ALLOWS AMERICANS TO PURCHASE EVERYTHING FOR MUCH CHEAPER THAN THEY WOULD OTHERWISE!

That spells hypocrisy. Unless your writing letters to your congressman begging them to stop trade with China and constantly assuring you never buy anything that was made in china, save me from any sanctimonious Olympic boycott speeches. :thumbsup:
Yeesh. Why the nasty attitude? Everyone's hypocritical to a point, even you. So I don't see why you would try to use that as an argument against me.

And just because I'm not trying to actively do anything to stop slave labor doesn't mean that I can't be against it. Stop trying to be the thought police.

Upvote 0

seeker777

Thinking is not a sin.
Jun 15, 2008
✟9,354.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It's a public forum. By challenging people, I accomplish two things...

1) I may get them to actually think about an issue longer than the customary knee jerk reaction, which is quite common on internet forums.

2) Maybe people will see the bigger picture and realize that their lovely black and white views ( which are favoured on Christian forums ) rarely work in the big, bad, ugly and at times beautiful real world that we live in.

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's a public forum. By challenging people, I accomplish two things...

1) I may get them to actually think about an issue longer than the customary knee jerk reaction, which is quite common on internet forums.

2) Maybe people will see the bigger picture and realize that their lovely black and white views ( which are favoured on Christian forums ) rarely work in the big, bad, ugly and at times beautiful real world that we live in.
But you can challenge people without being nasty about it. That's what Jesus did, you know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Bahahaha.

<snip>

Exactly - the fact is that we're all guilty of "human rights abuses" when we buy... well, pretty much anyone. Anyone here own an iPod?

http://www.coxwashington.com/news/content/reporters/stories/2007/02/04/BC_CHINA_LABOR04_COX.html

An enormous proportion of our electrical goods, clothing, and other consumer goods are made by people in miserable conditions in China. Of course, the Chinese government, with its obsession with economic growth, is partly to blame for that kind of exploitation being possible, but we're still buying the goods. I really don't think there's anyone in the West whose hands are clean.

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Exactly - the fact is that we're all guilty of "human rights abuses" when we buy... well, pretty much anyone. Anyone here own an iPod?

http://www.coxwashington.com/news/content/reporters/stories/2007/02/04/BC_CHINA_LABOR04_COX.html

An enormous proportion of our electrical goods, clothing, and other consumer goods are made by people in miserable conditions in China. Of course, the Chinese government, with its obsession with economic growth, is partly to blame for that kind of exploitation being possible, but we're still buying the goods. I really don't think there's anyone in the West whose hands are clean.
Well then what can we do to stop the egregious human rights violations going on every day in China? I don't want to just sit around and let human beings continue to be treated like robots.

Upvote 0

bunced

Apr 4, 2007
✟5,413.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Make certain that nothing in your home and nothing you buy in the future has anything in it that has come from China.

Good luck with that, as just about everything has a component of one kind or another that was made in Chine.

Why?

The Chinese do it well and cheaper than anyone else...America loves that!:thumbsup:
Of course I cannot make sure everything in my house was produced fairly. But I try when I can - I try to make sure I pay a fair price for my clothes by buying them from ethical shops; I make sure I pay a fair price for my food and that that fair price gets passed on to the growers. Sure I can't be perfect, but I would rather try and fall short than take the attitude of "it's not possible, so why even bother."

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well then what can we do to stop the egregious human rights violations going on every day in China? I don't want to just sit around and let human beings continue to be treated like robots.

That's a good question. One sensible idea would be to support charities like Amnesty International who focus on human rights issues.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.