I have an Olympic question...could use others thoughts, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannahfievel

He has known me since the womb, amen.
Apr 24, 2007
maryland
✟20,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay this morning I awoke to hearing about the Olympics. Just a few days ago..I watched a primetime special about China and its foreign policies, and somethings, well many things I have read online about China, and they were NOT nice things that they do in their country. :(

Now, my question is this: Should we as a country, along with others....really be participating in the Olympics in a country who is not what they are showing us on tv? Some of do still remember "how their people are treated, and have you read what they do to Christians in China"? I'm just kinda wondering if anyone else thinks about these things.

And, is it just and right to condone some of the things their government does to others just to participate in sporting events? Hmmm....:confused:

Well, I will be waiting to hear what others think, or maybe it is just me? :doh: I dunno. I just would like to think that we could be a better influence in the world than we are being...opinions anyone? Thanks, hannah :wave:

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, because the Olympics bring tourism and hence a boost to the economy. More cash in the pockets of street vendors, shop owners, &c.
Oh, I see. Yeah, I guess there is no easy solution to this problem then.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Oh, I see. Yeah, I guess there is no easy solution to this problem then.

No, indeed.

More to the point, exactly whom would a boycott benefit? All it would do is help us feel all smug and noble for not participating. I can't see any particular advantages for the people of China. It's not like the Chinese government is going to say, "Oh gosh, the UK and the US are refusing to participate in the Beijing Olympics. I guess we'll quit all that 'human rights abuse' nonsense we've been carrying on with."

The fact is that we still outsource our production of all sorts of goods to China to take advantage of their cheap labour, so it'd be pretty hypocritical to get our knickers in a twist over human rights abuses by the Chinese government anyway.

Upvote 0

hannahfievel

Apr 24, 2007
maryland
✟20,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, indeed.

More to the point, exactly whom would a boycott benefit? All it would do is help us feel all smug and noble for not participating. I can't see any particular advantages for the people of China. It's not like the Chinese government is going to say, "Oh gosh, the UK and the US are refusing to participate in the Beijing Olympics. I guess we'll quit all that 'human rights abuse' nonsense we've been carrying on with."

The fact is that we still outsource our production of all sorts of goods to China to take advantage of their cheap labour, so it'd be pretty hypocritical to get our knickers in a twist over human rights abuses by the Chinese government anyway.

This whole subject is just depressing and I do know...it more than likely wouldn't make the leaders of China care about what they do to others any more than they do now! It's just sad, and for me...I just wish they had picked almost anywhere else to have held the Olympics...it's kinda like us saying..."it's all good and keep on keeping on"...and I guess all I can say..is boo on it all!

And, I need to remember there is a reason for everything that happens, and just stop thinking about the people they just as soon shoot in the head so they can harvest donor parts...OYE!!!

Now, I'm sad I even brought it up...cuz really what can we do? :doh:Thanks for thoughts, hannah :wave:

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This whole subject is just depressing and I do know...it more than likely wouldn't make the leaders of China care about what they do to others any more than they do now! It's just sad, and for me...I just wish they had picked almost anywhere else to have held the Olympics...it's kinda like us saying..."it's all good and keep on keeping on"...and I guess all I can say..is boo on it all!

And, I need to remember there is a reason for everything that happens, and just stop thinking about the people they just as soon shoot in the head so they can harvest donor parts...OYE!!!

Now, I'm sad I even brought it up...cuz really what can we do? :doh:Thanks for thoughts, hannah :wave:
You should be thanking Cantata for her thoughts, too. After all, all I did in this thread was ask her to clarify her statements. She was the one who explained everything in-depth (and who did quite a good job of that, by the way).

But thanks for thanking me anyways. I do appreciate that. :)

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No, indeed.

Also it isn't like the Nazi Olympics where the world is unaware of the issues with China. The tourists are also a plus on the information as well as economic side. Lots of tourists. How can there be so many? Just how rich is the rest of the world and how free? What we have an interent that the government does not control what we can see? What we can actually speak our minds without fear?

Big danger for an oppressive government.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hannahfievel

Apr 24, 2007
maryland
✟20,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello HannahBanana!

Funny, that's my nickname around here! We must be the coolest, right? :D And, I did think that I was thanking cantata for her thoughts...ooops! :blush: But, I am and hope she sees this. :thumbsup:

And, seeker you are right! What can I say...but for me..I just am going to trust my God and know that no matter what this world "looks like" it isn't really as it should be, and trust that HE knows what to do with us all, amen! Thanks again "everyone"! hannah d'banana :D

Have nice weekends and I'm hoping no one will dwell on this..as we really have no control over what China is up to..so no worries..I was, I guess just thinking out loud..which "does" get me into all kinds of trouble! :doh:

Upvote 0

seeker777

Thinking is not a sin.
Jun 15, 2008
✟9,354.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
as we really have no control over what China is up to..so no worries..I was, I guess just thinking out loud..which "does" get me into all kinds of trouble! :doh:

I think it's nice that people trust in God to take care of all the problems, but it is people who will make change and not God.

God that has no control over what China does to their people.

It is people who actually possess the power in preventing China from carrying out any human rights abuses.

Here is the reality - If the world stopped buying Chinese goods, the problem would end over night.

However...

People will continue buying Chinese goods and China will maintain the status quo.

The global economy, the consumerist driven America must be maintained.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
One question worth asking is why did China get the games. Aside from the political problems it seems the conditions are far from ideal (air polution).

But on hte other side is thta for Eastern Europe, Asia and Africa this will only be the 4th summer games. Contrast that with 4 summer games in the U.S. alone.

If the Olympics is really world wide and not just Western Europe and places they colonized then some of the time the games need to be elsewhere. In this China may well be the best of several not so good choices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Olympics are supposed to surpass all the differences between the countries. I'm sick & tired of hearing people saying we should boycott it. A sporting event uniting everyone is NOT the place for politics. :doh:

Except in reality, the Olympics is a hotbed of political statements on a variety of levels. That's how it is now, and how it's been since at least the 1936 Berlin games. If nothing else it is an opportunity for the host country to showcase their power and prestige, and for all countries involved to show their success through their athletes.

Further the choice of Beijing for the Olympics was controversial from the start precisely because of China's flagrant human rights abuses and various other problems (such as massive pollution). It was hoped that they would clean up their act as part of preparation for the Olympics, but really there has been no substantial improvement on any field. In some areas China has made efforts to put forth a better face (like limiting traffic to try to thin out pollution), but at its core nothing has changed.

Now I don't necessarily think that we should boycott the games, because they do mean something more than a political show. But the political aspect is there and it is huge. So I do think that the opportunity should be taken to hammer China for all its abuses while they are in the spotlight. I would particularly like it if political officials from around the world decided not to attend and clearly stated their reasons for doing so, but that isn't happening.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Look how Americans treated and still treat First Nations people....abysmally.

People who live in glass houses, should not throw stones.

So I'm sure that puts America and China as moral equals, right?

I'm not saying that America doesn't have it's own problems. It does. Many are serious and should be fixed immediately, though they won't. But can we at least agree that on the whole, China is on an entirely different level of abuse in terms of human rights?

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Here is my problem. We as a species gets together every four years to do something together. And we pick a sporting event.

I would much prefer if we decided every four years to tackle some world problem. But of course, no one wants to see that.

Maybe I'm the only person on the planet who would rather watch a discussion about solving world hunger instead of sports.

Also, what I am mentioning is not a UN like body which can decide, but an actual open, discussion (or as the case may be, hundreds of thousands of discussions). Kinda like a colloquium.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.