Honolulu
✟15,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1: Say someone like Hitler were to repent for his sins and trust in God(follow his word) from now on, would he be saved and have a chance to go to heaven? How would something similar work?

2: What does the Bible say about self defense? If I saw someone being beaten to a pulp in the street, do I help or do I walk away?

Also, if I were to be targeted and assaulted, would it be justified to defend myself while still following the Bible and what god says?

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
It is simple, a person has either believed,trusted in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life or they have not.

Whether they are a murder or preacher, the free gift of Eternal Life is offered to anyone who will trust in Jesus for Eternal Life.

Repentance, obedience, baptism, confession, bearing fruit, etc.. has nothing to do with whether a person trust in The Messiah for Eternal Life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1: Say someone like Hitler were to repent for his sins and trust in God(follow his word) from now on, would he be saved and have a chance to go to heaven? How would something similar work?

2: What does the Bible say about self defense? If I saw someone being beaten to a pulp in the street, do I help or do I walk away?

Also, if I were to be targeted and assaulted, would it be justified to defend myself while still following the Bible and what god says?

Yes and no, as much as most people hate to think about it, even Hitler, if he had repented on his deathbed with a sincere heart would make it to heaven. If a person repents with a sincere heart, then that means they are a changed person and are no longer the person who did whatever they did. If they are a changed person then it's not really that person going to heaven, it's the new person they became. So if Hitler did really sincerely repent, then he was no longer Hitler but a new person. So Hitler didn't go to heaven, a new changed person did.

And yes, God does allow killing in self defense.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hitler is dead so he can’t repent but if he repented before he died after committing all the atrocities he committed then yes he would be saved.

In the situation of watching someone being beaten I would say it would be a sin not to interfere since your risking your own safety for the sake of saving another from harm or injury that is showing love and compassion for others and on the subject of self defense yes I believe we are allowed to defend ourselves which is why the apostles carried swords. When Peter cut the ear of the slave with a sword he thought he was justified in his actions. Jesus rebuked Peter but I believe that was because Jesus had to be taken in order to fulfill the prophecy. In Luke 22:36-38 Jesus tells His apostles to buy swords to which they replied we have two right here and Jesus said to them “it is enough”. So evidently Jesus wasn’t opposed to self defense or coming to the aide of another otherwise there would’ve been no reason for them to have a sword.

Reactions: Sir Joseph
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Hi my friend.Glad you asked these questions,because Ill be glad to answer them.

1.) Question 1-Yes,though it may seem senseless,a despicable man like Hitler could repent and be saved.(John 11:25,Acts 3:19,John 6:37) Same can be said for a murderer,rapist,child molester,cannibal,thief,terrorist,etc.They too have a chance to repent,but it’s a matter of heart choice.

2.) question 2-This is a great example of the parable of the Good samaratin.”
And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.” Luke 10:27-37

If you see someone in need of help,and aid to them,that’s what loving thy neighbor is.But if you continue in your way and leave the person to be beaten and left for dead,remember this verse from the Lord-James 4:17.If we see something and know the right thing to do and don’t do it we sin.Even if in that scenario we get beaten up to we have to love our enemies and aid the one who was being beaten.Self defense is,possibly implied in Luke 22:36-38,is encouraged.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Welcome to CF!
Yes, he would be saved and no do not walk away, call 911!

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Yes, even an Adolf Hitler can be saved. There is no limit to the grace of God or the depths of His love. Christ came for all of us, that means even the worst of us.

Not all choices we make are easy to make, and sometimes we have to simply follow conscience and trust in God. Christ condemned retaliation when He said "turn the other cheek", but that doesn't mean ignoring your neighbor being violently attacked in the street. Violence is never good, but there may be times when an amount of violence is necessitated to prevent greater evil.

One of the chief examples of this that comes to my mind is when Pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer chose to become part of the plot to kill Hitler. Bonhoeffer had devoted his life to Christian non-violence as a form of Christian discipleship. He witnessed Hitler's rise to power and the destruction and systematic evils of the Nazis and what all was happening around him. Bonhoeffer ended up, through difficulty of conscience, choosing to join the plot to kill Hitler, entrusting himself to God's mercy. For Bonhoeffer, this wasn't an easy decision to make, but one he felt compelled to make because the threat of such devastating evil. After the plot failed, Bonhoeffer's role was discovered. He was arrested and put into a prison camp and hanged, just months before that same camp was liberated by the Allies.

"We are not to simply bandage the wounds of victims beneath the wheels of injustice, we are to drive a spoke into the wheel itself." - Bonhoeffer

"To endure the cross is not a tragedy; it is the suffering which is the fruit of an exclusive allegiance to Jesus Christ. When it comes, it is not an accident, but a necessity. It is not the sort of suffering which is inseparable from this mortal life, but the suffering which is an essential part of the specifically Christian life. It is not suffering per se but suffering-and-rejection, and not rejection for any cause or conviction of our own, but rejection for the sake of Christ." - Bonhoeffer

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Arctangent

May 28, 2022
Midwest
✟26,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Every person can be saved.

If I take the Apostles' words seriously, then I have to consider myself to be the worst sinner who has ever lived. If I am the chief of sinners and there is someone else who can't be saved because his sins were too severe, then there would be no hope for me.

Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

On what basis is one accepted by God? All of us, not just Hitler, are deserving of hell. Compared to God, we all fall far, far short of God's holy perfection, which is His standard for membership in His family and kingdom. Only when we are clothed in Christ's perfect righteousness by trusting in him as Savior and Lord do we become acceptable to God (Romans 13:14; Galatians 3:27). This is the sole basis upon which anyone is accepted by God - Hitler or Joe Blow. So, if Hitler had truly trusted in Christ after the manner described in Romans 10:9-10, he would have been reconciled to God and born-again as a redeemed child of God.

As Paul wrote,

Romans 5:20
20 ...but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,

You help. Just as God, at terrible cost to His Son, has defended us from the soul-destroying predations of the World, the devil and ourselves, we ought to be willing to sacrifice ourselves in defense of others who cannot defend themselves. What great evil it is to stand idly by as others are abused and perhaps killed. There is nothing of God, of Christ, in such behavior.

You are free to defend yourself if you are randomly attacked. If, however, you are being targeted and assaulted only because you are a Christian, bear it peaceably, as Christ did, your patience and faithfulness in suffering a witness to the love and grace of your Savior.

Reactions: Sir Joseph
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SloopidyBoop

I love Jesus, family, reading, and working hard.
Feb 27, 2023
✟10,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Whaddya know? I have a friend who is retired military and he is writing a book about a biblical case for self defense.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not judging anyone. Hitler won't repent. You need the holy spirit to convict you of sin, documentation, Corinthians chapter 2. First epistle John chapter 3. Two classifications here. The Christian sinner who repents. And the habitual sinners who don't care. Second samuel chapter 2:22. Abner acted in self defense. Christian people have right to defend themselves. Use common sense.

Upvote 0

Sir Joseph

Site Supporter
Nov 18, 2018
Southwest
✟92,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm glad to see everyone here seemingly understanding the Gospel message of salvation by grace through faith. If it's any reconciliation, for those individuals that lead an evil life only to repent at the end, they may have a pass to heaven but our rewards there will not all be the same.

As for self defense, I'm surprised but pleased at the responses here. There's no doubt that violence is biblically justified to protect an innocent victim from an attacker, but the self defense issue is often challenged by the "turn the other cheek" passage. Here's the best video I've found to date on the whole issue. It's worth your time if you're interested.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

1) Not sure if Trump is saved or not, only God knows that.

2) Defending yourself from harm is okay, turning the other cheek is about being insulted.

The concept of "he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword" refers to lashing out with intent to kill. Since it is rare for someone to bring a sword to a gun fight.

However, harboring thoughts about what to do in worst case scenarios that results in people dying, falls under the same category as having lustful thoughts about people.

It is okay to protect yourself and others, but sometimes running away is a good form of defense.

Jesus was faced with crowds trying to stone Him. Quite often however, He used the confusion to just walk away unnoticed. So the way in which you "always protect" may require some creative thinking.

Just keep your heart pure, harboring malice so you're ready for trouble isn't good for the soul.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Here is my view for what it is worth.

If Hitler, or Stalin, or anyone like them repented of their sins and put their trust in the finished work of Christ, they would certainly be saved. This is shown in the Scripture, "By grace we are saved through faith, not of ourselves but is the gift of God; not of works lest any should boast." Even though these men were totally evil in their natural lives, they would be resurrected to totally new sinless bodies, and their sinful nature that caused them to be the evil people in the world, would be gone, and they would be seen and would conduct themselves as totally holy and sinless saints of God. When we get to glory, we will not see these people as being evil, because we will be changed as well and will see everything in a totally new light, without anger or hate toward anyone sharing heaven with us.
I believe that we have the right to defend ourselves if we are attacked on the street or in our homes. But when we see what Paul went through, he was assaulted, stoned and whipped because of his preaching of the Gospel, something entirely different.

If one tries to get in between two dogs that are fighting, it is no surprise that one would get bitten. There have been innocent people killed when they went to the assistance of someone being attacked and assaulted. I think the best that one can do is to call 911. But if a person has the resources to go in and assist someone, such as having a firearm or a baseball bat, then, if the assault is life threatening, it may be necessary to step in. But it would be no good jumping into a river to try and rescue a drowning person if you can't swim yourself, if you know what I mean.
It all depends. Read Paul's example concerning what he went through. One has to make a personal decision whether to fight back or retreat. In one event, when Paul came under intense persecution, he left that town and went to another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums