• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I feel selfish

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi guys,

Today is a hard reach out for me,I’ve been thinking since I woke up this morning and since last night,and it seems to me that all I do is out of selfishness,and that scares me.like for example,if I dropped a pill bottle on the floor,I would be forced by fear to pick every pill up to prevent my dogs from getting them,because if they got one they would have to go to the vet,and if they die,then I’ll get in trouble.Or that I’m only following Jesus or asking for help because of a fear of hell,because I’m worried about myself.

How can Jesus help me have humility;How can I not be so selfish,I’m worried,more or less scared of this.How Can God help me to have humbleness?

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hi guys,

Today is a hard reach out for me,I’ve been thinking since I woke up this morning and since last night,and it seems to me that all I do is out of selfishness,and that scares me.like for example,if I dropped a pill bottle on the floor,I would be forced by fear to pick every pill up to prevent my dogs from getting them,because if they got one they would have to go to the vet,and if they die,then I’ll get in trouble.Or that I’m only following Jesus or asking for help because of a fear of hell,because I’m worried about myself.

How can Jesus help me have humility;How can I not be so selfish,I’m worried,more or less scared of this.How Can God help me to have humbleness?
Have you tried CBT? It is an effective treatment for the kind of intrusive thoughts you describe.

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys,

Just remember that God really loves you so much and when you focus on His love for you it will help you focus on Him. God bless you

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just remember that God really loves you so much and when you focus on His love for you it will help you focus on Him. God bless you
Yes,it’s just that after doing some examination I’ve realized I do most things out of selfishness,maybe selfish fear.I fear though I’m beyond hope,how can Gof hear the prayer of someone so selfish like me?

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes,it’s just that after doing some examination I’ve realized I do most things out of selfishness,maybe selfish fear.I fear though I’m beyond hope,how can Gof hear the prayer of someone so selfish like me?
We are all selfish in a way because of our sinful nature. Remember what Jesus said, "Father, I want your will to be done, not mine". We are all sinners who need Jesus. I need Him just as much as you do brother

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi guys,

Lord Jesus is not going to help you in the way that you imagine. He gets you out of the way by including you in His death on the cross. Then He raises you up to be a brand new person, a new creation. You are no longer what you think or feel.

Most people get saved for entirely selfish reasons. That was my motivation. But God gives us a new heart with new motivations. Even caring that you might be selfish is a sign that you are saved. It sure does not bother unbelievers.

You need to be established in the truth. If you are born again, it is God's doing. Is He going leave you to struggle on your own? No. He said that He will never leave us or forsake us. I've been so deep in despair that I've contemplated suicide. Even in that state, God spoke to me and sanity returned.

Ask the Lord Jesus to live out His life in you and through you. Watchman Nee puts it like this. God is not like a chemist dispensing remedies for particular complaints. He won't give us a dose of patience or humility, a love pill or peace potion. He gives us Christ, who is the answer to every human need. Lord Jesus is our joy, peace, love, patience and yes, even humility. Let Jesus do the motivating and empowering, let Him be the desire of your heart. Let Him lead you. If you will seek Him and ask Him to lead you, He will.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lord Jesus is not going to help you in the way that you imagine. He gets you out of the way by including you in His death on the cross. Then He raises you up to be a brand new person, a new creation. You are no longer what you think or feel.

Most people get saved for entirely selfish reasons. That was my motivation. But God gives us a new heart with new motivations. Even caring that you might be selfish is a sign that you are saved. It sure does not bother unbelievers.

You need to be established in the truth. If you are born again, it is God's doing. Is He going leave you to struggle on your own? No. He said that He will never leave us or forsake us. I've been so deep in despair that I've contemplated suicide. Even in that state, God spoke to me and sanity returned.

Ask the Lord Jesus to live out His life in you and through you. Watchman Nee puts it like this. God is not like a chemist dispensing remedies for particular complaints. He won't give us a dose of patience or humility, a love pill or peace potion. He gives us Christ, who is the answer to every human need. Lord Jesus is our joy, peace, love, patience and yes, even humility. Let Jesus do the motivating and empowering, let Him be the desire of your heart. Let Him lead you. If you will seek Him and ask Him to lead you, He will.
I feel like I can’t come to Jesus without my hearts motives being pure,

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi guys,

The more I listen to you and your mind, the more I'm thinking that you need to start memorizing scripture. A lot of it. Make time to read until something jumps out at you, and memorize that.

Not that your temptations and sufferings are the same sort as Jesus', but when he was tempted, he didn't try to reason his way out of temptation, nor even by his superior authority tell Satan to take a hike, but just quoted Scripture.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can't be pure enough. Grace.
Agreed. Christ doesn’t ask that we be perfect before He’ll help us or look at us. He is beholding and helping us now. That’s great news! He will help you. Keep trusting Him. Talk to Him about your struggles and troubles.

Most of the reason I don’t speed is because I’m afraid of getting a ticket. I’m not as initially worried about causing an accident. That’s pretty selfish. We all experience something like this, Blaise. You’re a work in progress; we all are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
[Luk 18:9-14 NKJV] 9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 "The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 'I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' 13 "And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise [his] eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!' 14 "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [rather] than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

[1Jo 1:9 NKJV] 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If you confess in prayer your imperfections, you're not doing something that is unusual or unexpected by God.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why is caring for your dogs selfish?
It’s an example.

It’s an example of what I’ve had in the past
“If I drop a bottle of pills on the floor,I only pick up every pill so my dogs don’t get them,get sick or die,and I get in trouble” the “I get in trouble” part is the pet that makes me feel selfish.like I’m only picking them up so I don’t get in any trouble,that makes me feel incredibly selfish

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It’s an example.

It’s an example of what I’ve had in the past
“If I drop a bottle of pills on the floor,I only pick up every pill so my dogs don’t get them,get sick or die,and I get in trouble” the “I get in trouble” part is the pet that makes me feel selfish.like I’m only picking them up so I don’t get in any trouble,that makes me feel incredibly selfish

Some thing applies, you drop anything, you pick it up or mop it up.
Rhat is not being selfish, just clean and tidy.

Selfish is alwaysasking Mom or ad for a drink but neve getting them a drink if they ask.

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I feel like I can’t come to Jesus without my hearts motives being pure,
Why? How can your heart be pure until you get a new heart? No one is pure until they are born again. This is exactly why we need Jesus. I got born again solely to save my own hide. The prospect of facing God as a sinner terrified me. God gave me a new heart, one that does not love sin and where Lord Jesus is pleased to live.

God loves you just as you are. He sent Jesus to die for sinners. Like me and you. Don't put it off for any reason. Receive Christ and get new life. It is wonderful. Christians are not exempt from problems and hard times. But you have the assurance of heaven to come, forgiveness of sins and of God's help always available. I've been born again for 50 years. I still have trials and troubles, but God brings me through. When I had to face life alone, I despaired to the point of being suicidal. All I said was, "There must be more to life than this." It was directed at whatever was "out there".

I knew very little about Christianity. But God heard me. My boss was a Christian and he led me to Jesus. I was on a warship, at sea. No music, not altar call, no crowds of people around. God had it all arranged and ready for me once I had cried out to Him. That's how loving and caring God is.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

subtlecollision

Feb 8, 2020
Wisconsin
✟31,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. - Hebrews 11:6

God rewards those who seek Him. So doesn't that mean that it's ok to pursue your own good (a reward) sometimes?

I'm guessing you're not a completely selfish person. What are some examples of times you helped other people? Yes, you could say you only help other people to make yourself feel good, but it is still a sacrifice.

I think you honestly might be overthinking this stuff because of your OCD. People with OCD are often extremely caring and never want to hurt others. They're often extremely hard on themselves. Maybe that is you?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with what others on here have said:
A) We all have selfish motivations. It's part of being human.
B) God can help us change, and
C) This changing is a lifelong process that comes about through asking God for help, working on ourselves and our choices as best we know how, and especially through drawing close to God and building our relationship with Him in order to give Him the chance to truly change us from the inside out. In my opinion, the focus should be more on inviting God to do His work in us (and giving Him the opportunity to do so by spending time in His word and prayer!) instead of frantically attempting to change ourselves. Of course it's our responsibility to do what we know is right, but God is the one who has the power to actually accomplish a real change in us.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My dear brother shall i tell you a secret?

When you are in your selfish spirit, when you claim God's salvation just for you, and not for everyone else as well, then willingly lay down your existence there in. Confess to Jesus you are a selfish sinner, just like all of us sinful people, but that you so very much rather be humble and loving like Him. Keep giving Jesus all your selfish thoughts and desires, and die/refuse to want to be like that any longer, time and again refuse to be selfish. Understand that you don't want to be in this horrible selfish spirit ever again, a spirit in which you only think about yourself, and you don't care for the salvation of other sinners.
Romans 6:6
"For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin—"

Keep dying to feeling selfish and your anxiety will also go, for it are the sinful thoughts and desires we as sinful people have that make us feel so bad inside as Christians. Refusing to be like that, when you are in such a mood/spirit is the way to receive Christ's Spirit instead of that horrible sinful one.
This is an excellent prayer to help you achieve this.
Psalms 119:33-37
"Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees,
that I may follow it to the end.
Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.
Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight.
Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.
Turn my eyes away from worthless things;

preserve my life according to your word."

Be of very good courage, you that have sinned in the spirit of selfishness will be saved if you refuse to be like that any longer, asking Jesus to make you like Him, humble, caring, sharing, comforting, and trusting in God's grace. Keep asking Jesus until you have a humble spirit instead of a selfish one. Please don't try not to be selfish, for that doesn't work, selfishness has to come, so you can repent from it as it does, and Jesus has to set you free. So even if you feel really selfish, and your BIG I burns its very biggest in your heart, simply refuse to remain like that, rather want to die being like that, rather than staying that way. Please remember to eat grace when you fail and you do do selfish things again. Keep eating grace, for as long as it takes for you to love Jesus more than being in selfish spirit.

James 3:14-18
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbour bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, non-spiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness."

Please understand Jesus loves to save you from being/feeling selfish, simply lay down your bad life for Jesus, and ask for His good life in return, keep doing that until bad life runs out and His good life fills you to the brim.

It is so very good to be in safely in Christ's Spirit. So each time you feel selfish, lay down all your wants and feeling like that as well, and wait on the Lord to come and save you from your sins. And remember when satan shows you your miserable existence in sin, don't freak that, but rather lay down your bad life being like that, not for the devil, but for Jesus, because He laid down His life for you and you love to be in His Spirit and not in your old sinful one.
1 Peter 1:3
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,"

Be of good courage Jesus died for all your sins, He has your salvation laying ready for you in Heaven, so please trust Jesus to love you true, even if you can't do that yet. Do remember that Jesus has already saved you, so please keep your eyes on Him so you can claim His salvation as your own, laying down your life in wrong spirit, so Jesus will make His Good Life to be alive in you as well.

:prayer:

Meeting Jesus.
Inability to change forces me to look Jesus in the eye.
The blushing shame at my own nakedness creeps.
Luckily I know the accuser is the father of the lie.
Well now his harvest this fallen angel reaps.
Come see the weeds inside my heart to be burnt!

"Can you remember times of wanton greed?"
Awakened, I hear my faithful Saviour speak
"When you hated from my love to feed?"
In His kind words the fire of His mercy peaks,
I saw greedy loveless spirit tumble out of me.

A very fiery ending is the only way to illustrate,
The fate sinful spirit meets on his tailspin out.
Utterly rejected and in a most miserable state.
Clear knowledge what his punishment is about,
This ruler is stripped from his powers over me.

"Those times you in selfishness did feed?"
The perspicacity of His view zeros in.
His voice gentle, sounding so sweet.
Still I watch my biggest I crumble within.
Tumbling down the tunnel without ending.

"But my beloved child why did you follow?"
His urgent words bring me back from sure calamity.
"How much narcissistic thinking did you swallow?
Come, just let it flow out of your personality,
take on humble vision of self like Dad and Me."

Gratefully i take His gift offered to me.
A humble heart inside my chest to throb.
Truly from greedy selfishness free to be.
My dear Heavenly Friend please never stop,
fill my every sense of being with Yourself.

Never ever did i deserve any of this.
Loving goodness my heart to meet.
i know i have done so much amiss.
Yet in compassionate care You greet.
Forever in the truth of Your Story to be.

Upvote 0