• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I Feel Hopeless

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I've been feeling very depressed, irritable, and hopeless lately. The only anxiety medication that ever helped me suddenly stopped working after several years. Sure it didn't help much, but being relaxed before I went to sleep some nights was better than nothing. Now I don't even get that. The last time it worked was sometime in October.

I just don't understand this. I don't know why I went from only feeling anxious in certain situations (which makes sense) to feeling anxious for a few hours every day to feeling anxious every moment of my life. I don't know why I have symptoms of anxiety even when my mind doesn't seem worried about anything. I've heard about people having attacks of anxiety or being anxious in certain situations. but who has constant, nonstop anxiety no matter what?

There are multiple things that I'm strongly afraid of which could possibly be the cause. Unfortunately they are all things I can't get away from, and while they are probably unlikely to happen, they're not impossible. I don't see myself ever overcoming these fears.

I used to have hope that I would get better, but after nearly ten years my hope has run out. I'm probably going to feel anxious for the rest of my life, which is the kind of life I don't want to live. I'm starting to believe that only a miracle could help me, but even though me and my family and friends have prayed about this over and over again, nothing has changed.

I've probably always been prone to anxiety and somewhat of a negative thinker, but I used to be a pretty happy person for the most part. Now it seems like everything always goes wrong for me, everything bothers me, and I'm more unhappy than ever.

frank1234

Apr 26, 2006
Winnetka, California
✟35,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi. Have you ever tried looking into your health holistically. Through holistic methods they can find the root cause/s of your health issues. Regular chemical medicines are only designed to deal with the symptom(anxiety and depression are mostly symptoms). Natural medicine can also help alleviate your symptoms, but in the mean time you can look into the root causes of whatever it is that's bothering you. When you fix the root cause/s, then the symptom/s should go away too. God bless.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like you have what I was diagnosed with 12 years ago, which is Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I think part of or perhaps a good part of my problem is hypertension coupled with some electric anomaly with my heart-rate (my heart itself is fine). Ever since I was put on a Beta Blocker a year ago to regulate those two things, my anxiety has subsided quite a bit. I pray that as the person above me says, you'll discover the root cause for what's causing the anxiety.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been feeling very depressed, irritable, and hopeless lately. The only anxiety medication that ever helped me suddenly stopped working after several years. Sure it didn't help much, but being relaxed before I went to sleep some nights was better than nothing. Now I don't even get that. The last time it worked was sometime in October.

I just don't understand this. I don't know why I went from only feeling anxious in certain situations (which makes sense) to feeling anxious for a few hours every day to feeling anxious every moment of my life. I don't know why I have symptoms of anxiety even when my mind doesn't seem worried about anything. I've heard about people having attacks of anxiety or being anxious in certain situations. but who has constant, nonstop anxiety no matter what?

There are multiple things that I'm strongly afraid of which could possibly be the cause. Unfortunately they are all things I can't get away from, and while they are probably unlikely to happen, they're not impossible. I don't see myself ever overcoming these fears.

I used to have hope that I would get better, but after nearly ten years my hope has run out. I'm probably going to feel anxious for the rest of my life, which is the kind of life I don't want to live. I'm starting to believe that only a miracle could help me, but even though me and my family and friends have prayed about this over and over again, nothing has changed.

I've probably always been prone to anxiety and somewhat of a negative thinker, but I used to be a pretty happy person for the most part. Now it seems like everything always goes wrong for me, everything bothers me, and I'm more unhappy than ever.
Started reading this and the song started same time... Yeah what are the odds huh :) Change is gonna come! in Jesus name.

Blessing Offor "Won't Be Long Now"
"How tired are your feet?
How broken are your dreams?
How hopeless does it seem?
How heavy is that wait?
How lonely are those days?
How long 'til something breaks?

Change is gonna, change is gonna come
Just keep holding, just keep holding on

No, it won't be long now
I feel the turn and shift
That burden's gotta lift
Tomorrow's worth all this
The sky don't look so blue
The ground is shaking too
The day is coming soon when

Just keep holding, just keep holding on

No, it won't be long now
I will be right by you (by you)
Every step of the way
When you cry, I'll cry too
Be the one that'll stay
There'll be joy in the morning
When we get to that place
I will be right by you
Every step of the way

• Friendly
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There are many woes in this world ... and we are told in His word it would be this way .... we are to turn our thoughts to heaven and rest assured God is in ultimate control and look forward to His return when He will end all these earthly woes ... in His time .... not ours.

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for the responses. Generalized Anxiety Disorder sounds exactly like what I have (though for some reason I always thought I didn't have it in the past).

I bet the fears I have are likely the cause of my problems, but I don't know how to overcome them. I'm too ashamed and uncomfortable to tell anyone much about them. I tried telling my parents about one of them before and their responses sounded like they were shaming me, and the suggestions they made were unhelpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm too ashamed and uncomfortable to tell anyone much about them.

Write them down on paper, hand written, one by one.
I have found I have no perspective on the size of my fears and cares when they are in my head
Tiny lies, deep in the soul can cast monstrous shadows
Put them on paper, I hope you have the same experience that I have had
Some were not fears per se, but things bothering me
See if this works for you, having them in new perspective outside your head
On the paper, written by your hand
Some I laughed away

Wish you well Multi

• Friendly
Upvote 0

subtlecollision

Feb 8, 2020
Wisconsin
✟31,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you're struggling so much with your anxiety right now. :( It's truly horrible. :( I have struggled with severe OCD in the past. I still have OCD, but it has gotten better.

I would definitely see if you could find a therapist to talk to, especially since it's hard to talk to your family about what you're going through. Therapy can really help a lot!

A few pieces of advice-- the reason you have anxiety 24/7 is probably because anxiety feeds anxiety. I've noticed this with myself. My OCD used to not be that bad-- just some extra handwashing and contamination fears, for the most part. But then it became more severe the more I gave in to it. But then the more I stand up to it, the easier it becomes to stand up to it in the future. It's really a cycle, or an "addiction" to negative thinking.

You have to determine to stand up to it sometimes. You have to determine to ignore the thoughts and tell yourself they're not true. You don't have to try to reason with yourself or convince yourself they're not true because your anxiety will prevent you from doing that. Just tell yourself they're not true and move on with your day. The more you do this, the less you will believe the anxiety thoughts.

I used to have hope that I would get better, but after nearly ten years my hope has run out. I'm probably going to feel anxious for the rest of my life, which is the kind of life I don't want to live.
You have to change your mind about this. You have to believe that it is possible not to feel anxious the rest of your life. If you believe you're going to be anxious the rest of your life, then you are going to feel anxious the rest of your life.

I pray for your freedom from this anxiety!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

frank1234

Apr 26, 2006
Winnetka, California
✟35,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's a tremendous feeling of freedom and relief when some one understands you and listens to you and is able to guide you. I have been struggling with this generalized anxiety disorder and OCD, and The Lord showed me Alternative medicine, and a lot of working on myself. Help is out there. I will pray for you.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the responses. Generalized Anxiety Disorder sounds exactly like what I have (though for some reason I always thought I didn't have it in the past). I might have to look into holistic methods; I've tried practically everything else by now.

I bet the fears I have are likely the cause of my problems, but I don't know how to overcome them. I'm too ashamed and uncomfortable to tell anyone much about them. I tried telling my parents about one of them before and their responses sounded like they were shaming me, and the suggestions they made were unhelpful.
What kind of fears have you been having, if you don't mind sharing an example or two? I don't have GAD but I have OCD, and the fears can be really strange and even disturbing and disgusting. It's easy to feel ashamed of them, but we don't have to be!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums