Bondi
✟259,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You make it sound like the worst thing anyone might ever do is steal some of your things.

There was zero suggestion of that. A nonsensical proposition. But as unfortunate and depressing as it is to be burgled, we don't feel the need to keep guns in the bedroom, practice gunfight scenarios and discuss barricades and fields of fire with spouses.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟740,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That is simply not what one does in any civilised western democracy. Except yours.
You have to understand that guns are a fundamental part of our democracy. It's written right into the constitution. It is nearly impossible to strike down a constitutional right.

Then let's say they somehow repeal that right, they would only be removing the firearms from the homes of law-abiding citizens. A criminal would not turn in their firearm when the government tries to disarm the population.

Not to mention the skirmishes that would go off everywhere when they try to disarm the people who use guns to hunt their food. There is a certain percentage of the population that would rather fight than give up their rights. Fighting for rights is built right into the culture since the country was born out of rebellion.

So.....I actually do not disagree with the fact that other countries see the US as the wild west and in many ways it is. Some see it as a joke, especially after the Trump fiasco. However, there are also some who want that kind of freedom and they come here for it. It's seen as the right to defend yourself meaning you won't get in trouble for saving your own skin.

My question is, how would you propose to get 300 million guns out of the homes of Americans?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You have to understand that guns are a fundamental part of our democracy. It's written right into the constitution. It is nearly impossible to strike down a constitutional right.

Then let's say they somehow repeal that right, they would only be removing the firearms from the homes of law-abiding citizens. A criminal would not turn in their firearm when the government tries to disarm the population.

Not to mention the skirmishes that would go off everywhere when they try to disarm the people who use guns to hunt their food. There is a certain percentage of the population that would rather fight than give up their rights. Fighting for rights is built right into the culture since the country was born out of rebellion.

So.....I actually do not disagree with the fact that other countries see the US as the wild west and in many ways it is. Some see it as a joke, especially after the Trump fiasco. However, there are also some who want that kind of freedom and they come here for it. It's seen as the right to defend yourself meaning you won't get in trouble for saving your own skin.

My question is, how would you propose to get 300 million guns out of the homes of Americans?

You must be confusing me with someone who wants to ban all guns.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟740,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You must be confusing me with someone who wants to ban all guns.
I did get that confused. I thought you wanted to do the same thing Australia did about gun control. My mistake.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟154,164.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Show that paragraph to anyone at all and ask them which country it applies to. Without fail they will say the US. I didn't get past the first sentence with my wife and she said 'America of course'.

You don't even realise how ba 3rdd that makes the US look.

Sound advice makes a country look bad.
To what kind of person?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟154,164.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
There was zero suggestion of that. A nonsensical proposition. But as unfortunate and depressing as it is to be burgled, we don't feel the need to keep guns in the bedroom, practice gunfight scenarios and discuss barricades and fields of fire with spouses.

So, what zactly would you do besides say " oh dear, this is dreadful"?

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟210,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You make it sound like the worst thing anyone might ever do is steal some of your things. Has assault, rape, murder, and other such things been eradicated in Austrailia?

Yeah that's the thing, if they're just going to burglarize, they'll wait till you're not home.
if they're breaking in while you are home? They are willing to hurt you.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟154,164.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah that's the thing, if they're just going to burglarize, they'll wait till you're not home.
if they're breaking in while you are home? They are willing to hurt you.

Which is why i kept a gun by the bed.
(hidden while i was not there)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That you simply don't understand the complete bemusement of anyone living outside the US is, I think, part of the problem. You just can't stand back and see the madness of the situation. And sure I've got insurance. Which is in case someone can actually get into my house when I'm not there and ignore the alarm and get away with my property. That's what being prepared is in Australia. Locking doors and turning on alarms and making sure your insurance is paid up. Not working out how to get to a loaded weapon asap and working out cover and lines of fire and wondering whether to shoot first and ask questions later.

That is simply not what one does in any civilised western democracy. Except yours.
Not everyone in other countries thinks like you do.
You need to step out of your narrow mindset.
The fact that you have to depend on faulty technology to protect you and yours is actually really sad.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Show that paragraph to anyone at all and ask them which country it applies to. Without fail they will say the US. I didn't get past the first sentence with my wife and she said 'America of course'.

You don't even realise how bad that makes the US look.
Yes that's why so many from other countries want to come here. .

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I did get that confused. I thought you wanted to do the same thing Australia did about gun control. My mistake.

Australia didn't ban guns. Why would you think that? I've actually been thinking about getting my wife a couple of hours tuition at the local gun range as a Christmas present.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sound advice makes a country look bad.
To what kind of person?

Any person who lives in a country where couples don't feel that they have to practice what they'd do in the event of an armed invasion of their property. So that would be almost everyone in any western democratic state.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So, what zactly would you do besides say " oh dear, this is dreadful"?

What any normal person would do. You secure your house so that it's exceptionally difficult to break in. Home invasions when the occupents are still at home are so infrequent that when they happen they become front page news down here. Home invasions when guns are involved are even rarer still.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not everyone in other countries thinks like you do.
You need to step out of your narrow mindset.
The fact that you have to depend on faulty technology to protect you and yours is actually really sad.

Have you been outside the USA? Talked to many people from other countries? Lived anywhere overseas? Travelled anywhere? Not only do people outside the US think that your gun situation is out of control, you are actually in a minority in your own country:

'Approximately 2 in 3 Americans surveyed for a new poll said that they support greater restrictions on gun ownership after a spate of recent mass shootings that have highlighted debates on expanding background checks and other measures.' 2 in 3 support stricter gun control laws: poll

So please, don't give me any bulldust about what people think outside the US.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes that's why so many from other countries want to come here. .

They do. And I can't wait for this pandemic to be over so I can get back there myself. My visa still has two years on it. Now I've been around the traps a fair bit. I've seen my fair share of countries. Just shy of fifty at the last count. Most of them experienced with my wife. And there have been a couple of very rare occasions times when I have felt that maybe we were in the wrong part of town at the wrong time and it might be the smart thing to do to head for somewhere a little busier. Somewhere that felt a little safer. But we never felt that in the US. Not once. And I'm not talking about a week or two. We've been there for months.

But you? You can't sleep in your own bed without a loaded weapon alongside you. Without practicing what to do if armed men invade your home. It's a war zone mentality.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟661,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There was zero suggestion of that. A nonsensical proposition.

Yet you're the one who keeps talking about dogs, alarms and insurance.

But as unfortunate and depressing as it is to be burgled, we don't feel the need to keep guns in the bedroom, practice gunfight scenarios and discuss barricades and fields of fire with spouses.

At least not until burglars become home invaders by becoming more brazen and coming in when you're home (or think you aren't). Then the discussion will be had for "in case it happens again".

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you been outside the USA? Talked to many people from other countries? Lived anywhere overseas? Travelled anywhere? Not only do people outside the US think that your gun situation is out of control, you are actually in a minority in your own country:

'Approximately 2 in 3 Americans surveyed for a new poll said that they support greater restrictions on gun ownership after a spate of recent mass shootings that have highlighted debates on expanding background checks and other measures.' 2 in 3 support stricter gun control laws: poll

So please, don't give me any bulldust about what people think outside the US.
Again, not everyone in other countries thinks like you. That's evidenced in many of these threads. And you will get far different answers to those questions depending on which Americans you choose to interview, making your poll go the way you want is very easy. I've traveled quite a lot inside the US. I know people in Europe can't understand Americans in general, but there's exceptions. That's kinda why we left the monarchy BTW, if you recall.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟661,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's not a lack of interest. It's a complete lack of awareness.

I'm perfectly aware that home invasions and violent encounters with criminals happen. Just having a hard time convincing you of that.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.