Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I used to own a bunch of guns. I ended up in a situation where I could not store them so I end up having my lawyer dispose of them.

After 5 or so years of being gun-free, I became more sympathetic to the gun control crowd. I had no guns but I felt pretty safe anyway with 911 only minutes away, where I live so easy for police to mop up the criminals.

Recently I heard a question asked.....Who do you call when the police are criminals? Then I read a quote by Washington the said (paraphrase) There should be a rebellion every 20 years or so.

That made me think of the context the Constitution was written in. We need law-abiding citizens to own guns because we have a right to self-defense. Whether it's from a criminal or a totalitarian government, we need to be able to overthrow the government if need be. That is what Washington was saying.

I don't think we are anywhere near the point where we need to rise up, but we need to be able to if we get some Fascist in office suspends the Constitution or tries to dissolve our rights.

We have 2,000 laws about guns. No more gun laws......Agree or disagree......

Discuss.........

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That made me think of the context the Constitution was written in. We need law-abiding citizens to own guns because we have a right to self-defense. Whether it's from a criminal or a totalitarian government, we need to be able to overthrow the government if need be. That is what Washington was saying.
First off, that's a quote from Jefferson, not Washington. It's also a heavy paraphrasing and lacking in context. Here's the actual letter that it comes from, discussing Shays' Rebellion: Establishing A Federal Republic - Thomas Jefferson | Exhibitions - Library of Congress

While he does voice support for the idea of rebellion, he also notes that rebellion often rises from the people being misinformed. And he was pretty much alone among the founders in his endorsement of Shays' Rebellion.

I don't think we are anywhere near the point where we need to rise up, but we need to be able to if we get some Fascist in office suspends the Constitution or tries to dissolve our rights.
This is why we have three branches of government and a series of checks and balances. Even at the height of Trumpian craziness, I never had any fear of this actually happening. I worried that he might try, but I had faith that he would be stopped by the system.

Hard disagree.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Recently I heard a question asked.....Who do you call when the police are criminals? Then I read a quote by Washington the said (paraphrase) There should be a rebellion every 20 years or so.

He never said that.

That is what Washington was saying.

It isn't. Washington used the militia to aid the government in putting down rebellion. The exact opposite of what you are saying.

"That these societies were instituted by the artful and designing members (many of their body I have no doubt mean well, but know little of the real plan,) primarily to sow the seeds of jealousy and distrust among the people, of the government, by destroying all confidence in the Administration of it" - GW to To Henry Lee Aug.22, 1794

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Discuss.........

The sheer number of gun laws is not indicative of anything other than the degree of legal complexity inherent in the a government with so many jurisdictions, federal, state, city...

I think the number may have something to do with the Second Amendment. Laws regulating guns always have to be written with an eye to whether they might be found unconstitutional. So the legislators may approach the issue in a piece-meal fashion rather than in a simpler, but potentially stricter set of laws such as in other countries, almost all of which have stricter laws than the US, but perhaps expressed in a fewer number. I would favor repealing the Second Amendment, or at least overturning the Heller decision, which would allow the replacement of 2000 laws with maybe 20 laws with fewer exceptions. I don't think we need a high number of gun laws. We need the right set of gun laws, which could potentially be small in number.

• Agree
Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I used to own a bunch of guns. I ended up in a situation where I could not store them so I end up having my lawyer dispose of them.

After 5 or so years of being gun-free, I became more sympathetic to the gun control crowd. I had no guns but I felt pretty safe anyway with 911 only minutes away, where I live so easy for police to mop up the criminals.

Discuss.........

Have you ever wondered why the US is the only stable, developed Western democracy whose citizens feel the need to walk around armed?

OB

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,693.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I keep my guns and ammo for one reason..... Between now and the Rapture I have no idea what is going to happen in the US of A. What I will not allow to happen is lawlessness beating down my door and inflicting violence on me and my family. That happens... there will be some dead people. I will protect me and mine.

In this day and age, I can't even fathom anyone getting rid of their guns. Heck, more Democrats (traditionally anti-gun) have purchased firearms in the past four years than ever in our nation's history.

To ask OB's question in another way, why is it only in the US that people feel the need to protect themselves in that way? Where on earth do you live? Is it that dangerous? If it is, then you have some real problems that you need to solve. Your home must be like some kind of fortress.

• Agree
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Discuss.........
I think it is important for our government to know that the citizenry is armed and might just rebel if they overstep. I think this is the one convincing argument for me to own a gun. I could then lock it away but they would know ‘don’t tread on me’ is a thing.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I think it is important for our government to know that the citizenry is armed and might just rebel if they overstep. I think this is the one convincing argument for me to own a gun. I could then lock it away but they would know ‘don’t tread on me’ is a thing.

If you seriously believe that your government is likely to drive you to the point of armed rebellion you're either living in a fantasy or the world's biggest Banana Republic.

Why is it that Americans appear to live in fear of their own government?

OB

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever wondered why the US is the only stable, developed Western democracy whose citizens feel the need to walk around armed?

OB
Because we are armed, we are a stable, republic...we never were meant to be a democracy.

• Winner
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If you seriously believe that your government is likely to drive you to the point of armed rebellion you're either living in a fantasy or the world's biggest Banana Republic.

Why is it that Americans appear to live in fear of their own government?

OB
Thank you for thinking I am delusional.

My point was instead that a government that knows it can be overthrown by it’s citizenry will behave better than one that thinks it cannot be overthrown.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thinking that the greatest military power in history can be overthrown by untrained first world civilians with small ams is delusional.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thinking that the greatest military power in history can be overthrown by untrained first world civilians with small ams is delusional.
Thank you as well for thinking I am delusional. Any other takers?

• Haha
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

I'm sorry if you find 'delusional' offensive but I don't know how else to describe it. It's not just you. Looking in from the outside there seems to be this irrational fear of the govt along with a perceived need for self defence running through a large proportion of the US population. To most Australians it comes across as completely irrational. I'm pretty sure that other non-Americans would also see it as strange.

My point was instead that a government that knows it can be overthrown by it’s citizenry will behave better than one that thinks it cannot be overthrown.

Has it occurred to you that the cure (guns) might worse than the disease (the perceived risk of govt oppression). If our government doesn't behave itself we have a process for fixing it - we call it an 'election'.

OB

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,693.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

This is truly a fantasy.

Notwithstanding the enormous number of guns in the US, it's a significant minority who own them. So whoever is going to 'rise up' against a government is a small proportion of that already significant minority of those who might think like you.

Less all those who have diametrically opposed political views to you and would likely take up arms against you.

Excluding all those who just own a pistol. Less all those who couldn't hit the side of a barn at ten paces with said pistol.

Excluding all those who own guns and would likely take advantage of the household gun owner being otherwise occupied.

And of course, you have systems and processes in place to organise all this. Oh, you don't?

But you'll have suitable people already picked to lead an insurection. Oh, you don't?

But surely there'd be plans in place for suitable targets and methods for bringing down the government. Oh, there aren't?

But there definitely would have been training available to get this rag tag group of gun owners up to a point where they wouldn't be massacred by very heavily armed professionally trained killers (i.e. the army). No? Nothing?

But at least there been some means of communication between like minded people that couldn't be instantly disabled by switching off the internet? Nope?

But surely some means of triggering an uprising so all insurrectionists act in coordination with each other without falling foul of the Patriot Act? Mmm. Probably not (and as far as I know, the web is being constanty monitored for trigger words and phrases as a means to keep us all safe from terrorist acts. So even discussing this within a Christian forum might well ring a bell in some government basement if terms like 'bomb' or 'insurrection' or 'bring down the government' are used - so here's a warning: you need to be careful what you say in public. Someone might take this fantasy trip seriously).

And where is the command centre for all this? The place where decisions will be made and disseminated to the rebels? There isn't one?

It's a fantasy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟724,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

OB
I think it has something to do with no other country having a 2nd amendment.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.