• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I am so afraid and worried

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My ocd was telling I may have made a promise to do a certain action in a specific time. I knew it was just ocd but automaticcaly, tried to remember or to confirm if thoughts about promise to God happened in my head about that action.

the action is about buyin a specific book from a specific store and ocd was telling me that I need to do it before 14:00 cause I may have made a promise to God.

I know it was just ocd but automatically, I tried to remember if any chance the word promise poped up in my head. and for a second, while trying to remember, the thoughts just popped up in my head, in a sentence. like making a flashback in my mind about this action. the word promise was popped up in my imagination. I was imagine if, yesterday, I made a promise so automatically, in my flashback the words popped up in my head.

I now worry if it was on purpose or not, just because I was trying to confirm if the flashback really happened or not. it did not happen but I worry now because the imaginative hypothetical flashback played in my mind. it just happened automatically because I was trying to remember if I made a promise to God or not.

my ocd is telling me to get up and do the compulsion/promise just because I had that flashback in my mind. it tells me that I run out of time because time is already 12:38 and I do not want to go right now. I worry a lot.

Nov 15, 2019
secret
✟7,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can relate to the OCD thing (I actually just posted my own thread not that long ago). I unfortunately can't give much advice given that I'm struggling very much on my own end with OCD/intrusive thoughts/etc. but my sympathy goes to you.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help than to just give my sympathy, but I hope this can be of some help at least.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My ocd was telling I may have made a promise to do a certain action in a specific time. I knew it was just ocd but automaticcaly, tried to remember or to confirm if thoughts about promise to God happened in my head about that action.

the action is about buyin a specific book from a specific store and ocd was telling me that I need to do it before 14:00 cause I may have made a promise to God.

God sees all your thoughts, words and intentions; he knows you better than you know yourself.
He sees, and understands, your ocd, and knows the difference between it and a solemn vow taken by you when you knew exactly what you were saying. Even you have said that you know it was your ocd talking.

What do you think will happen if you don't do this?
What would happen if you went and found the shop was closed or they had run out of the book? Or if your car broke down/the bus was late and you didn't get it by 2.00?
What would happen if you prayed and said "Lord, if I made that promise to you, I'm sorry"?

Upvote 0