I am not listening to worship music anymore?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps to your tastes?

Edit: Two of the three band members of this band were in the worship band at St. John's Methodist Church in Houston. If that helps.
Khruangbin - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I am sick of the worship music of today so I am going to instrumental worship instead.
Don't blame you one bit. I listen to nothing of Hillsong. Check out the old hymns of Charles Wesley. They have actual content. I've got music from the early Billy Graham crusades. It's entirely different from the modern, repetitive and banal of the modern music. There is something seriously missing. Oh, I know what! It's Jesus! We sing songs of the 70's and 80's, mostly the Bible set to music. It's not rock. It's edifying and uplifiting to the heart. Most modern stuff simply excites the emotions. You can get that at a Rolling Stones concert.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I occasionally watch Youtube clips to keep up to date with what is going on with Christian contemporary music, but I usually switch off after a few minutes. The worship leaders look like celebrities. The colourful flashing lights make the buildings look more like a pop concert than a church. It seems to be the modern way of thinking that if we make enough noise and distract attention to ourselves, then God will take more notice of us. They play background music for almost everything - even the prayers. We live in a society that is no longer able to sit still and be silent and every space has to be filled up with noise and distraction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Most contemporary Christian songs do seem rehashed and "dry". Many I hear are basically the same, with very similar melodies.

Although, there are artists and groups out there that do still exude passion in their music, and mix things up to keep it interesting. Mercy Me is one of my favorite bands because of this. I discovered this song and music video not too long ago, which was very unique and inspirational. :)

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of my favorite scripture songs:

Another one:

This is my favourite worship music to listen to, straight scripture. Esther Mui the singer has a library of songs that are free to listen to and her voice is simply beautiful.
It was someone from the forum here that put me onto it: "Scripture Songs worship"
And sometimes just silence is wonderful.

I don't listen to current worship songs, particularly Hillsong.

• Friendly
Reactions: BrotherD
Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This is my favourite worship music to listen to, straight scripture. Esther Mui the singer has a library of songs that are free to listen to and her voice is simply beautiful.
It was someone from the forum here that put me onto it: "Scripture Songs worship"
And sometimes just silence is wonderful.

I don't listen to current worship songs, particularly Hillsong.

Yes, i love her voice and i love the fact that it is God's word's. It has helped me keep my mind on Christ alot and i can remeber whole verses with ease. I quit listening to the modern Christian music. I have a few old songs i listen to know and then.

• Friendly
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
An interesting video on this topic:

Although I have eclectic taste in music, I don't listen to much CCM. Not that I'd go so far as to say I hate it, but this helps explain why it rarely holds my interest. Maybe it isn't the songs or lyrics that put me off, but the approach taken by musicians when performing within the genre. An approach that may not even be their fault, but the fault of those in control of its production. Other Christian sacred music, and bands with Christian members or happen to have Christian themes in their work, speaks to me in ways that CCM rarely does. I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

Upvote 0