Visit site
✟558,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
St. Mary's, my wonderful parish, has a nice size library filled with great books to read! Upon entering the church last Sunday, I went through the library and stopped long enough to look over the titles. The one that caught my eye was THINKING ORTHODOX, by Dr. Eugenia Scarvelis Constantinou. Knowing that I have so much to learn, I brought it home to read.

What a book!

I think that every convert should be made to read this book while in catechetical classes, or at least after chrismation! Dr. Constantinou carefully and thoroughly outlines the pitfalls facing us Western converts and the differences between Eastern and Western thought as she seeks to have her readers understand what it is to develop the Orthodox phronema.

After reading it, I saw so much of myself and my errors in what she wrote that I went to Fr. David before Vespers and asked for Confession. I have been for most of my Christian life an "armchair theologian," (not to mention a just plain old arrogant fool theologically) and have done all the wrong things in presenting heresies as truth and error as the Christian faith. I realized in my reading just how Protestant my thinking still is in certain areas, especially that of Bible-thumping and putting Scripture over and above Holy Tradition, which, as I understand it, defines Scripture.

I am determined now to SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND LEARN!

Especially when cruising the Internet and seeing theological discussions.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
St. Mary's, my wonderful parish, has a nice size library filled with great books to read! Upon entering the church last Sunday, I went through the library and stopped long enough to look over the titles. The one that caught my eye was THINKING ORTHODOX, by Dr. Eugenia Scarvelis Constantinou. Knowing that I have so much to learn, I brought it home to read.

What a book!

I think that every convert should be made to read this book while in catechetical classes, or at least after chrismation! Dr. Constantinou carefully and thoroughly outlines the pitfalls facing us Western converts and the differences between Eastern and Western thought as she seeks to have her readers understand what it is to develop the Orthodox phronema.

After reading it, I saw so much of myself and my errors in what she wrote that I went to Fr. David before Vespers and asked for Confession. I have been for most of my Christian life an "armchair theologian," (not to mention a just plain old arrogant fool theologically) and have done all the wrong things in presenting heresies as truth and error as the Christian faith. I realized in my reading just how Protestant my thinking still is in certain areas, especially that of Bible-thumping and putting Scripture over and above Holy Tradition, which, as I understand it, defines Scripture.

I am determined now to SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND LEARN!

Especially when cruising the Internet and seeing theological discussions.
Hey there just dropping in, good to see you!

Have you listened to her podcasts at all? I try to keep up with Search the Scriptures Live. The historical context alone is so eye-opening!

I want to read that book myself. It’s at the top of my list - as soon as I have time to read of my own choosing again.

God be with you!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you listened to her podcasts at all? I try to keep up with Search the Scriptures Live. The historical context alone is so eye-opening!
she gave a great talk for STOTS’ Founder’s Day lecture.

Upvote 0