Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I want to learn, do and experience everything I can think about! It may sound good, but it isn't. Every useless idea seems absolutely fascinating on the surface, but when I think about it for some days, I completely lose my interest and move to another idea. I never actually complete any of my projects.

I neglect God very badly when my mind is occupied with my projects.

What do you advice me to do?
Should I just accept that I am interested in everything but not give a second thought to any of my ideas?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to learn, do and experience everything I can think about! It may sound good, but it isn't. Every useless idea seems absolutely fascinating on the surface, but when I think about it for some days, I completely lose my interest and move to another idea. I never actually complete any of my projects.

Should I just accept that I am interested in everything but not give a second thought to any of my ideas?

I, too, have varied interests. Nothing wrong with that.

You will, however, have to learn to pick and choose what you will explore and/or accomplish ... and what you won't.

I, for example, would have liked to have been a concert pianist, a devoted family man, a successful businessman, a horticulturalist, a writer, ... and a man of God.

I had to give some of these up.

I occasionally have thoughts of "you could have ... ", but then I remember how grateful I am for what I have, ... and it's okay ...

Reactions: Fish14
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Having an active mind is a gift from God. Treasure it. :oldthumbsup:

It sounds like what you need to do is pray the Spirit of God starts directing you to focus more on those ideas that are of Him; those that will be fruitful to your spiritual life, to your calling, and to your walk with God. Establish a daily habit of prayer and maybe even a set time for it, and make this the focus of your prayers during that time. You will eventually notice His leading becoming ever clearer to you.

Reactions: Fish14
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Philippians 4.8 lists a lot of profitable things to be interested in and follow! :)

Upvote 0

hopesum

Oct 31, 2017
✟15,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I feel balance can be beneficial with this. I too lose interest and move on. I have many interests. However I've realized that they do mostly fall under the 'creative' arena. Determining your main "umbrella" interest can be helpful in not feeling aweful that you have yet again moved on, as long as it's under the umbrella.

I have unfinished projects but many finished also. It took me a long time to see that and to focus on the good.

Lastly but the most important, there is scripture for EVERYTHING. This one has helped a lot at the start of my day when my mind is overloaded with all I'd like to accomplish. It helps me not start unnecessary things. Which leads to less unfinished stuff :)

It also helps to read it when unexpected tasks present themselves, making me feel like a failure because I'm not doing/being everything. God's word has power.

"I cannot do everything so I choose those things which are vital and excellent and of real value. I have wisdom and I'm able to distinguish the highest and best things for me to do." Philippians 1:10

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"I cannot do everything so I choose those things which are vital and excellent and of real value. I have wisdom and I'm able to distinguish the highest and best things for me to do." Philippians 1:10
Yes, isn't Philippians a wonderful Epistle, providing a great focus for the mind for the things that may occupy it? :)

Reactions: hopesum
Upvote 0

kj77

Dec 4, 2017
north america
✟15,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God has created us all unique with different gifts. some more than others, and that is how we learn: try some things and see how you like them. the stuff you like tends to bubble to the top.

you may have a desire for some exercise, for me getting on a bicycle with a friend fills the bill. or gardening, what a blessing to give my family naturally grown food. sure takes time, but everything does.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God has created us all unique with different gifts. some more than others, and that is how we learn: try some things and see how you like them. the stuff you like tends to bubble to the top.

you may have a desire for some exercise, for me getting on a bicycle with a friend fills the bill. or gardening, what a blessing to give my family naturally grown food. sure takes time, but everything does.
Yes, we are all different, with different things being interesting to us!

Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, we are all different, with different things being interesting to us!

I agree. By the way, this thread is 4 months old:D. I don't have the problem anymore because I learned to not obsess too much about things, except God. It's healthy to obsess about God, right?

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. By the way, this thread is 4 months old:D. I don't have the problem anymore because I learned to not obsess too much about things, except God. It's healthy to obsess about God, right?
Instead of the word obsess I would refer to a healthy dedication to diligent Bible reading and prayer. :)

Upvote 0