✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well what dilect of Greek?
Koine, the same as all New Testament manuscripts.

So King James gets the correct context in English, and the New King James go's off base because of the contextual integrity of the Schripture.
No, the NKJV corrected the translation anomaly found in the in the KJV.

Anyone can be a servant but only Christ was the begotten Son.
Yeah, except that is not what those verses are saying. They are saying that Christ came humbly, as a servant.

The Alexandrian text is the basis for the Critical text ,not the the Majority or Textus Receptus.
Yes, we all know that. What's your point?

Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Would you consider Jesus Christ your servant?
Your Bible does.
So does yours.
Matt 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Mark 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
King James Version New King James Version
2 Corinthians 2:17 "For we are not as many which corrupt the word of God" "peddling the word of God" (like the NIV, NASV and RSV)
καπηλευοντες means to peddle. Thayer says:
to make money by selling anything
2a) to get sordid gain by dealing in anything, to do a thing for base gain
2b) to trade in the word of God
2b1) to try to get base gain by teaching divine truth
2c) to corrupt, to adulterate
2c1) peddlers were in the habit of adulterating their commodities for the sake of gain

Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Titus 3:10 "A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject" "Reject a divisive man" (like the NIV)
αιρετικον, Thayer:
1) fitted or able to take or choose a thing
2) schismatic, factious, a follower of a false doctrine

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
HEBREWS 2:16 /source way of life .org
KJV - “For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham” (Hebrews 2:16).
NKJV - “For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham” (Hebrews 2:16).

This change weakens the doctrine of Christ. The Greek says nothing about giving aid to. The Greek word is epilambanomai,which means to lay hold of, to seize, to catch, to take.

HEBREWS 3:16
KJV “For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.”
NKJV “For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses?”

This change in the NKJV creates an error in the Bible, because the Old Testament plainly teaches that not all of the Israelites rebelled and provoked God. The KJV is right in its teaching here and the NKJV is wrong.

REVELATION 1:18
KJV “I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of HELL and of death.”
NKJV “Re 1:18 “I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of HADES and of Death.”

This is one of the strangest changes that have been made in the NKJV. In 11 different verses, the NKJV replaces the word “hell” with the word “hades,” as follows:

Mat. 5:22 -- hell fire (gehenna)
Mat. 5:29 -- hell (gehenna)
Mat. 5:30 -- hell (gehenna)
Mat. 10:28 -- hell (gehenna)
Mat. 11:23 -- Hades
Mat. 16:18 -- Hades
Mat. 18:9 -- hell fire (gehenna)
Mat. 23:15 -- hell (gehenna)
Mat. 23:33 -- hell (gehenna)
Mk. 9:43, 45, 47 -- hell (gehenna)
Lk. 10:15 -- Hades
Lk. 12:5 -- hell (gehenna)
Lk. 16:23 -- Hades
Acts 2:27 -- Hades
Acts 2:31 -- Hades
1 Cor. 15:55 -- Hades
James 3:6 -- hell (gehenna)
2 Pet. 2:4 -- hell (tartaroo)
Rev. 1:18 -- Hades
Rev. 6:8 -- Hades
Rev. 20:13 -- Hades
Rev. 20:14 -- Hades

Transliteration as in servant, illogical as in discernment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This change weakens the doctrine of Christ. The Greek says nothing about giving aid to. The Greek word is epilambanomai,which means to lay hold of, to seize, to catch, to take.
οὐ γὰρ δήπου ἀγγέλων ἐπιλαμβάνεται, ἀλλὰ σπέρματος ᾿Αβραὰμ ἐπιλαμβάνεται.

He did not take on angels to support but took on the seed of Abraham to support.

He did not aid the angels by supporting them but He did aid the descendants of Abraham by supporting them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
αιρετικον, Thayer:
1) fitted or able to take or choose a thing
2) schismatic, factious, a follower of a false doctrine

As I just posted often simple transliteration is flawed.
This is the problem the NKJ is a knock off of all the rest, often the translation is wrong according to the logical contexts

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
καπηλευοντες means to peddle. Thayer says:
to make money by selling anything
2a) to get sordid gain by dealing in anything, to do a thing for base gain
2b) to trade in the word of God
2b1) to try to get base gain by teaching divine truth
2c) to corrupt, to adulterate
2c1) peddlers were in the habit of adulterating their commodities for the sake of gain

Good now we can talk..
What does a peddler corrupting goods have to do with corrupting God's Word?
The text is not a metaphor

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"TCassidy,

Well Have a good Day I will make room for others here, Thank you.
And God Bless

What we are seeing friend, is the most prominent attitude today when looking at the text-type.

Fact: The Alexandrian text type is older than the Byzantine. But, by the same token, older does not make better. You can find the Byzantine text type around the 2nd to 3rd century.
Fact: The Byzantine text out numbers the Alexandrian text type by a margin of 3 to 1. Nearly 80 to 85% of Greek MSS are of the Byzantine text type. With Caesarian/Western texts and one or two more comprising the rest. And here again, just because numbers are in the Byzantine favor, does not make them 100% correct either.

One would think that because of conditions in which most Alexandrian texts were kept, mostly dry, less humid areas like N. Africa, they would number more than Byzantine because those conditions were prime for papyrus/parchments. But its just not the case. What we find is that the Byzantine do indeed out number the Alexandrian. But in admitting that, one also must, absolutely must acknowledge that around the 3rd to 4th century, the "scribes/copyists" ceased writing in the Alexandrian style. Perhaps it was because of "Christian" influences from Rome and Constantinople. But what is clear is there was a definite shift from Alexandrian to Byzantine around the 4th to 5th century.

The most recent versions to be put out, and the most recent revisions hit in the mid to late 1970's.

Few influences are seen from the aspect of "textual criticism". And that is what just blows my mind.

From 1881, onwards, there has been virtually no serious work done in "textual criticism". From 1881 to 1959, textual criticism was a dead subject. Then enter Ernest Cowell and Ernest Tune. Together, they introduced a "new" method of textual criticism which became known as "Quantitative Method of Textual Criticism". Instead of just proceeding as it had from the last 60-70 years, instead of using the "triple readings" they used "multiple readings" instead of just grouping them together in classes that they resembled. At any rate, this opened a new way of researching the Greek MSS. And in 1966, enter Gordon Fee and the p66 and p75. What is known for sure, and it is verifiable and provable, is that by close examination of variants, and other passages, counting, multiple readings, etc, Gordon Fee proved 100% that the early Alexandrian Texts, namely the Codices Sinaiticus and Vaticanus were reliable when compared with the Gospel of John. Regardless of anybodies opinion, without a doubt, they were reliable codices.

What do we know now?

We know that when Erasmus began his work, he had 6 or 7 Greek MSS. Along with certain Catholic versions and lexiconaries.

And up until 1604, there were perhaps only a hundred Greek MSS known to exist. And while sincere, the KJ Translators made very little use of them. Instead, they relied on previous versions as I showed.

After 1611, textual criticism was a developing science, and it was constantly being developed and re-defined over the subsequent years until 1881 when Westcott and Hort rocked the Christian world and their backing of the Alexandrian text.

What we know today is that there are over 5300 know Greek MSS of the New Testament. Fragments, papyrus, parchments, vellum. Now I admit it would be a very daunting task. But, what is needed to day is a serious study of all Greek MSS. I know it would be a very daunting task, lasting perhaps 20-30 years. Buy isn't God's word worth it?

Why should we as Christians, be forced to stand at a stand still because some people believe that God "preserved" His word in a version that is over 400 years old now? And why would God only preserve it from a scriptural standpoint, in an as yet "future" unknown English tongue? How can one stand up and honestly say that in 1611, with only 53 pieces of material, and without consulting the Greek, a group of "well intending men" got it absolutely 100% correct?

What it boils down to, and it reminds me of a scene from the movie "Midnight Express". Billy Hayes in the movie ends up in the insane ward, and after some time, walks counter to established rule around a pole.

The same principle applies here, except here, the KJV is being heralded as the accepted rule, and not the Greek language from which God's word in the New Testament comes to us. And if you challenge the established rule, well, you know what I am saying. And when somebody like me takes the time to look back at the Greek, and check it against the "KJV", you have seen what happens.

With all sincerity, what is the message of the scriptures? Salvation through faith in the finished work of the Saviour who lived a sinless life, died on a cross with our sins upon Himself, resurrected, and waiting for the command from His Father to come get His children.

Can one honestly say that THAT message is missing from every single version of the Bible ever printed EXCEPT the King James "Authorized" version?

Give me a break.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
What we are seeing friend, is the most prominent attitude today when looking at the text-type.

Fact: The Alexandrian text type is older than the Byzantine. But, by the same token, older does not make better. You can find the Byzantine text type around the 2nd to 3rd century.
Fact: The Byzantine text out numbers the Alexandrian text type by a margin of 3 to 1. Nearly 80 to 85% of Greek MSS are of the Byzantine text type. With Caesarian/Western texts and one or two more comprising the rest. And here again, just because numbers are in the Byzantine favor, does not make them 100% correct either.

One would think that because of conditions in which most Alexandrian texts were kept, mostly dry, less humid areas like N. Africa, they would number more than Byzantine because those conditions were prime for papyrus/parchments. But its just not the case. What we find is that the Byzantine do indeed out number the Alexandrian. But in admitting that, one also must, absolutely must acknowledge that around the 3rd to 4th century, the "scribes/copyists" ceased writing in the Alexandrian style. Perhaps it was because of "Christian" influences from Rome and Constantinople. But what is clear is there was a definite shift from Alexandrian to Byzantine around the 4th to 5th century.

The most recent versions to be put out, and the most recent revisions hit in the mid to late 1970's.

Few influences are seen from the aspect of "textual criticism". And that is what just blows my mind.

From 1881, onwards, there has been virtually no serious work done in "textual criticism". From 1881 to 1959, textual criticism was a dead subject. Then enter Ernest Cowell and Ernest Tune. Together, they introduced a "new" method of textual criticism which became known as "Quantitative Method of Textual Criticism". Instead of just proceeding as it had from the last 60-70 years, instead of using the "triple readings" they used "multiple readings" instead of just grouping them together in classes that they resembled. At any rate, this opened a new way of researching the Greek MSS. And in 1966, enter Gordon Fee and the p66 and p75. What is known for sure, and it is verifiable and provable, is that by close examination of variants, and other passages, counting, multiple readings, etc, Gordon Fee proved 100% that the early Alexandrian Texts, namely the Codices Sinaiticus and Vaticanus were reliable when compared with the Gospel of John. Regardless of anybodies opinion, without a doubt, they were reliable codices.

What do we know now?

We know that when Erasmus began his work, he had 6 or 7 Greek MSS. Along with certain Catholic versions and lexiconaries.

And up until 1604, there were perhaps only a hundred Greek MSS known to exist. And while sincere, the KJ Translators made very little use of them. Instead, they relied on previous versions as I showed.

After 1611, textual criticism was a developing science, and it was constantly being developed and re-defined over the subsequent years until 1881 when Westcott and Hort rocked the Christian world and their backing of the Alexandrian text.

What we know today is that there are over 5300 know Greek MSS of the New Testament. Fragments, papyrus, parchments, vellum. Now I admit it would be a very daunting task. But, what is needed to day is a serious study of all Greek MSS. I know it would be a very daunting task, lasting perhaps 20-30 years. Buy isn't God's word worth it?

Why should we as Christians, be forced to stand at a stand still because some people believe that God "preserved" His word in a version that is over 400 years old now? And why would God only preserve it from a scriptural standpoint, in an as yet "future" unknown English tongue? How can one stand up and honestly say that in 1611, with only 53 pieces of material, and without consulting the Greek, a group of "well intending men" got it absolutely 100% correct?

What it boils down to, and it reminds me of a scene from the movie "Midnight Express". Billy Hayes in the movie ends up in the insane ward, and after some time, walks counter to established rule around a pole.

The same principle applies here, except here, the KJV is being heralded as the accepted rule, and not the Greek language from which God's word in the New Testament comes to us. And if you challenge the established rule, well, you know what I am saying. And when somebody like me takes the time to look back at the Greek, and check it against the "KJV", you have seen what happens.

With all sincerity, what is the message of the scriptures? Salvation through faith in the finished work of the Saviour who lived a sinless life, died on a cross with our sins upon Himself, resurrected, and waiting for the command from His Father to come get His children.

Can one honestly say that THAT message is missing from every single version of the Bible ever printed EXCEPT the King James "Authorized" version?

Give me a break.

God Bless

Till all are one.[/QUOTE

1 Corinthians 13: 1. Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

There are many other aspects than translation,when we study Gods Word.
The Grammer used in the Narrative, Literature has many constructs to help us understand the Authors intent.
In the Greek Translation given as a example in a previous post for peddler the meaning applied was the 3rd choice down.
Its not study of the greek that I do not like, it is the application and reason.

In the context of the verse it is stupid to turn the word corrupt into peddler.
I do not study Greek, because for me there is no need.
The rest is for the Theologian as you are.
you have a gift for teaching.
I do not always agree with you, but you have never belittled me or called me a liar.
I thank you for that Pastor.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Listen up folks,

This particular topic breeds a lot of consternation. Opinions vary greatly. If you have been a Christian as long as I have, and really that don't matter that much, but when you've been a Baptist as long as I have, you would not believe some of the things being perpetuated about the "Authorized Version", aka the King James Version.

You will hear: "It is perfect". Well any preacher, who is worth his salt, will check the Greek. And once done, you'll see just how far from "perfect" it is. In fact, we know that scripture does teach that over the course of history, there have been only three "perfect" things to ever grace the face of the earth. (God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit)

It is the "preserved" word of God. Well, yes and no. What is the message of the scriptures? Salvation by faith through the finished word of the Son of God. Is the KJV the only version that has that message "preserved"? Is the KJV the only version with that message? And where are we told in scriptures that God would preserve His word "perfectly" in an as yet, "future" unknown tongue?

The KJ Translators were "inspired" by God. Well, up until they took the "Introduction" out, in the "Preface" the KJ Translators admit, they were not "inspired" by God. (A big lie of the KJVO crowd) And why would God "inspire" these men, and no other person who tried to bring God's word to the world?

I wish people would do some study on their own rather than simply swallow anything and everything that comes out of the pulpits. History has also proven that everything the KJVO crowd says is completely "made up. Please read history.

History has also dictated that with the materials the KJ Translators had one hand, they made very, very use of. Instead, they followed the pattern set forth in the Bibles that preceded it. And what was their "goal"? The same thing as those who followed after them. Simply put, to put the word of God into the language of the "people"!

A prime example would be from the Tyndale Bible, "modern English says "He'd" (he would) the Tyndale version reads "heed". (he would)

History has shown that one of the primary sources the KJ Translators for their version was Beza's codex. The Codex "D". I have shown previously that we can see up to 18 different scribes at work "editing" this codex. And, just the other day, I was even told that God "inspired" these scribes.

What a load. The canon for the New Testament closed not very long after the last Apostle died. Where are we told in church history, where are we told in world history, more importantly, where are we told in scriptures God would open the canon to allow "editing"?

I've said it continuously over my time here. The KJV has served the church well for over 400 years now, and provided the Lord tarries, it will serve the church well for another 400 years. But so will the ASV, RSV, ESV, etc.

If you swallow the lies propagated by the KJVO crowd, God Bless You! But it is almost like sticking your head in the ground and avoiding facts. If the entire world had done that, we would still believe the air we live on ends just above our head. Tomatoes are poisonous. The world is flat. Man is not meant to fly.

Just check your facts folks.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Listen up folks,

This particular topic breeds a lot of consternation. Opinions vary greatly. If you have been a Christian as long as I have, and really that don't matter that much, but when you've been a Baptist as long as I have, you would not believe some of the things being perpetuated about the "Authorized Version", aka the King James Version.

You will hear: "It is perfect". Well any preacher, who is worth his salt, will check the Greek. And once done, you'll see just how far from "perfect" it is. In fact, we know that scripture does teach that over the course of history, there have been only three "perfect" things to ever grace the face of the earth. (God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit)

It is the "preserved" word of God. Well, yes and no. What is the message of the scriptures? Salvation by faith through the finished word of the Son of God. Is the KJV the only version that has that message "preserved"? Is the KJV the only version with that message? And where are we told in scriptures that God would preserve His word "perfectly" in an as yet, "future" unknown tongue?

The KJ Translators were "inspired" by God. Well, up until they took the "Introduction" out, in the "Preface" the KJ Translators admit, they were not "inspired" by God. (A big lie of the KJVO crowd) And why would God "inspire" these men, and no other person who tried to bring God's word to the world?

I wish people would do some study on their own rather than simply swallow anything and everything that comes out of the pulpits. History has also proven that everything the KJVO crowd says is completely "made up. Please read history.

History has also dictated that with the materials the KJ Translators had one hand, they made very, very use of. Instead, they followed the pattern set forth in the Bibles that preceded it. And what was their "goal"? The same thing as those who followed after them. Simply put, to put the word of God into the language of the "people"!

A prime example would be from the Tyndale Bible, "modern English says "He'd" (he would) the Tyndale version reads "heed". (he would)

History has shown that one of the primary sources the KJ Translators for their version was Beza's codex. The Codex "D". I have shown previously that we can see up to 18 different scribes at work "editing" this codex. And, just the other day, I was even told that God "inspired" these scribes.

What a load. The canon for the New Testament closed not very long after the last Apostle died. Where are we told in church history, where are we told in world history, more importantly, where are we told in scriptures God would open the canon to allow "editing"?

I've said it continuously over my time here. The KJV has served the church well for over 400 years now, and provided the Lord tarries, it will serve the church well for another 400 years. But so will the ASV, RSV, ESV, etc.

If you swallow the lies propagated by the KJVO crowd, God Bless You! But it is almost like sticking your head in the ground and avoiding facts. If the entire world had done that, we would still believe the air we live on ends just above our head. Tomatoes are poisonous. The world is flat. Man is not meant to fly.

Just check your facts folks.

God Bless

Till all are one.
I have no qualms with what you wrote (I'm not a KJV-only). I would just point out that there are lots and lots of people who are not persuaded by facts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have no qualms with what you wrote (I'm not a KJV-only). I would just point out that there are lots and lots of people who are not persuaded by facts.

How well I know.

This thread is evidence of that.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I too am not KJV-only but I do know that the Codex Sinaiticus has a very dubious origin.

I don't use it. But neither do I lie about it. It was NOT "found in a garbage can." Some leaves of manuscript were seen in a trash can and the good Count asked if there were other old documents in the monastery. He was then taken to the library where he was shown Codex Sinaiticus, wrapped in red leather and kept locked in a secure cabinet.

Not entirely true. Let's read what Tischendorf himself said about his find.

======================================

Codex Sinaiticus, The Ancient Biblical Manuscript Now in the British Museum.

Tischendorf’s Story and Argument Related by Himself.

Second Impression of the Third Edition. 1934

London, The Lutterworth Press, 6 Bouverie Street E.C.

Tischendorf’s original account was in German, but my reference copy is an English translation. Bold type in Green are my emphases. In the preface to this eighth edition at page 7 we read,

“It was in April, 1844, that I embarked at Leghorn for Egypt. The desire which I felt to discover some precious remains of any manuscripts, more especially Biblical, of a date which would carry us back to the early times of Christianity, was realized beyond my expectations. It was at the foot of Mount Sinai, in the Convent of Saint Catherine, that I discovered the pearl of all my researches. In visiting the library of the monastery in the month of May, 1844, I perceived in the middle of the great hall a large and wide basket full of old parchments; and the librarian, who was a man of information, told me that two heaps of paper like these, mouldered by time, had been already committed to the flames. What was my surprise to find amid this heap of papers a considerable number of sheets of the Old Testament in Greek, which seemed to me to be one of the most ancient I had ever seen. The authorities of the convent allowed me to possess myself of a third of these parchments, or about forty-three sheets, all the more readily as they were destined for the fire. But I could not get them to yield up possession of the remainder. The too lively satisfaction which I had displayed had aroused their suspicions as to the value of this manuscript. I…enjoined on the monks to take religious care of all such remains which might fall in their way.”

Tischendorf continues, having returned to Saxony,

“But these home labours upon the manuscripts which I had already gathered did not allow me to forget the distant treasure which I had discovered. I made use of an influential frien, who then resided at the Court of the Viceroy of Egypt, to carry on negotiations for procuring the rest of the manuscripts; but his attempts were, unfortunately, not successful. “The monks of the convent,” he wrote to me to say, “have, since your departure, learned the value of these sheets of parchment and will not part with them at any price.”

We learn on page 24 that Tischendorf made a second visit to the monastery in 1853, “but I was not able to discover any further traces of the treasure of 1844.”

We read of third visit at page 26.

“..in the commencement of January, 1859, I again set sail for the East…By the end of the month of January I had reached the Convent of Mount Sinai…After having devoted a few days in turning over the manuscripts of the convent, not without alighting here and there on some precious parchment or other, I told my Bedouins, on the 4th February, to hold themselves in readiness to set out with their dromedaries for Cairo on the 7th, when an entirely fortuitous circumstance carried me at once to the goal of all my desires. On the afternoon of this day I was taking a walk with the steward of the convent in the neighbourhood, and as we returned, towards sunset, he begged me to take some refreshment with him in his cell. Scarcely had he entered the room, when, resuming our former subject of conversation, he said: “And I, too, have read a Septuagint” – i.e. a copy of the Greek translation made by the Seventy. And so saying, he took down from the corner of the room a bulky kind of volume wrapped up in a red cloth and laid it before me. I unrolled the cover and discovered to my great surprise, not only those very fragments which, fifteen years before, I had taken out of the basket, but also other parts of the Old Testament, the New Testament complete, and, in addition, the Epistle of Barnabas and a part of the Pastor of Hermas. Full of joy, which this time I had the self-command to conceal from the steward and the rest of the community, I asked, as if in a careless way, permission to take the manuscript in to my sleeping chamber to look over it more at leisure. There by myself I could give way to the transport of joy which I felt. I Knew that I held in my hand the most precious biblical treasure in existence – a document whose age and importance exceeded that of all the manuscripts which I had examined during twemty years study of the subject.

No doubt, it was only after the monks perceived Tischendorf’s excitement, that realizing the age of the document, they “would not part with it at any price”, and wrapped it in red cloth.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I too am not KJV-only but I do know that the Codex Sinaiticus has a very dubious origin.

Not entirely true. Let's read what Tischendorf himself said about his find.

======================================

Codex Sinaiticus, The Ancient Biblical Manuscript Now in the British Museum.

Tischendorf’s Story and Argument Related by Himself.

Second Impression of the Third Edition. 1934

London, The Lutterworth Press, 6 Bouverie Street E.C.

Tischendorf’s original account was in German, but my reference copy is an English translation. Bold type in Green are my emphases. In the preface to this eighth edition at page 7 we read,

“It was in April, 1844, that I embarked at Leghorn for Egypt. The desire which I felt to discover some precious remains of any manuscripts, more especially Biblical, of a date which would carry us back to the early times of Christianity, was realized beyond my expectations. It was at the foot of Mount Sinai, in the Convent of Saint Catherine, that I discovered the pearl of all my researches. In visiting the library of the monastery in the month of May, 1844, I perceived in the middle of the great hall a large and wide basket full of old parchments; and the librarian, who was a man of information, told me that two heaps of paper like these, mouldered by time, had been already committed to the flames. What was my surprise to find amid this heap of papers a considerable number of sheets of the Old Testament in Greek, which seemed to me to be one of the most ancient I had ever seen. The authorities of the convent allowed me to possess myself of a third of these parchments, or about forty-three sheets, all the more readily as they were destined for the fire. But I could not get them to yield up possession of the remainder. The too lively satisfaction which I had displayed had aroused their suspicions as to the value of this manuscript. I…enjoined on the monks to take religious care of all such remains which might fall in their way.”

Tischendorf continues, having returned to Saxony,

“But these home labours upon the manuscripts which I had already gathered did not allow me to forget the distant treasure which I had discovered. I made use of an influential frien, who then resided at the Court of the Viceroy of Egypt, to carry on negotiations for procuring the rest of the manuscripts; but his attempts were, unfortunately, not successful. “The monks of the convent,” he wrote to me to say, “have, since your departure, learned the value of these sheets of parchment and will not part with them at any price.”

We learn on page 24 that Tischendorf made a second visit to the monastery in 1853, “but I was not able to discover any further traces of the treasure of 1844.”

We read of third visit at page 26.

“..in the commencement of January, 1859, I again set sail for the East…By the end of the month of January I had reached the Convent of Mount Sinai…After having devoted a few days in turning over the manuscripts of the convent, not without alighting here and there on some precious parchment or other, I told my Bedouins, on the 4th February, to hold themselves in readiness to set out with their dromedaries for Cairo on the 7th, when an entirely fortuitous circumstance carried me at once to the goal of all my desires. On the afternoon of this day I was taking a walk with the steward of the convent in the neighbourhood, and as we returned, towards sunset, he begged me to take some refreshment with him in his cell. Scarcely had he entered the room, when, resuming our former subject of conversation, he said: “And I, too, have read a Septuagint” – i.e. a copy of the Greek translation made by the Seventy. And so saying, he took down from the corner of the room a bulky kind of volume wrapped up in a red cloth and laid it before me. I unrolled the cover and discovered to my great surprise, not only those very fragments which, fifteen years before, I had taken out of the basket, but also other parts of the Old Testament, the New Testament complete, and, in addition, the Epistle of Barnabas and a part of the Pastor of Hermas. Full of joy, which this time I had the self-command to conceal from the steward and the rest of the community, I asked, as if in a careless way, permission to take the manuscript in to my sleeping chamber to look over it more at leisure. There by myself I could give way to the transport of joy which I felt. I Knew that I held in my hand the most precious biblical treasure in existence – a document whose age and importance exceeded that of all the manuscripts which I had examined during twemty years study of the subject.

No doubt, it was only after the monks perceived Tischendorf’s excitement, that realizing the age of the document, they “would not part with it at any price”, and wrapped it in red cloth.

Have you read Gordon Fee's Dissertation of the P66 and P75?

Summary, as far as can be learned, both Sinaiticus and Vaticanus, when compared to the Gospel of John, are completely reliable.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Have you read Gordon Fee's Dissertation of the P66 and P75?

Summary, as far as can be learned, both Sinaiticus and Vaticanus, when compared to the Gospel of John, are completely reliable.

God Bless

Till all are one.

I have not read that - and I actually don't keep up with the manuscript details as much as I could - but I have heard that story about Sinaiticus and the garbage-can so when I saw a reference here I took a few minutes to look it up to see exactly what the story was. Very interesting.

And thanks for the pointer.

Upvote 0

James2018

Jun 27, 2018
Buffalo
✟2,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Many Blessings, Amen?!
I collated the purified text theory and wrote the record theory.
I hold the copyrights to the world's first
bachelor of science in academic theology.

The independent Baptist fundamentalist movement

should be called the . . . amen ? . . . amen ?

. . . amen ? . . . amen ? . . . movement !

Last edited:
Upvote 0