Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1 Peter 3:20-21: God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The sacraments are a mean of grace that Jesus gave us. We are saved through Baptism, as you can see the Bible says, and we continue to be saved.
Baptism and communion are the sacraments I recognize.I’m not implying I don’t,I’m saying that people who think sacraments are enough to earn them salvation is not right.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Baptism and communion are the sacraments I recognize.I’m not implying I don’t,I’m saying that people who think sacraments are enough to earn them salvation is not right.
But who DOES that, Blaise? It's not Catholic teaching, so are you referring to some people you've heard from who aren't well grounded in the beliefs of the Church and so misunderstand this matter? And whether or not that's the case, this is not something that can properly be held against the Roman Catholic Church, although many of your other points of disagreement are correct.

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But who DOES that, Blaise? It's not Catholic teaching, so are you referring to some people you've heard from who aren't well grounded in the beliefs of the Church and so misunderstand this matter? And whether or not that's the case, this is not something that can properly be held against the Roman Catholic Church, although many of your other points of disagreement are correct.
I’m sorry,really I am.And yes that’s right it’s really not something I can hold against the RCC.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Let scripture decide what denomination you choose. Pray for the Holy Spirit for discernment. Read scripture and come to the truth. Find a church that teaches the truth from scripture.
Is there any certainty or hope that I will?

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

Yes. There is plenty of hope found in scripture.

Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.​

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

It's been said that the only certainty in life is death and taxes.

At the end of the day all we can do is pray and trust in God's grace. Certainty is not a luxury that we have in this life, so we are invited to live by faith rather than by sight. Faith in God's promises.

As you spend time in the Scriptures, as you study theology, history, etc. your beliefs, ideas, and thoughts are going to change with time. So even if, say, right now you find yourself going to a church of X particular affiliation, it may not be where you still are later in life.

I believe it better to be, in good conscience, wrong about points of theology and choice of church affiliation, than to insist on being part of something we don't really believe all that strongly in.

That is, it is better to be sincerely mistaken than to live contrary to conviction and conscience. Put your faith in Christ, and even if on every single point we fail, there is still Christ who holds us and keeps us.

I'm not saying that there's no difference between churches, or that those differences don't matter. I believe they really do matter, they matter a lot. But I believe the most important thing for you to hear right now is simply the love of Christ, that through faith you belong to Jesus Christ, because He is the One who has your back. Everything else, including all of our uncertainties and doubts of life, are part of the cross of discipleship we carry as Jesus' disciples. This life isn't the life of perfect anything--perfect knowledge, perfect faithfulness, perfect wisdom, perfect righteousness. All that we have in Christ is what we have received as a gift from God, that rescues us, and we are going to fumble, bounce, roll, and tumble every step of the way. But God has us. That's His promise to us.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ah, I see it now. Thank you. I have been struggling with this concept for so long:

A Common Assumption Among Catholicism & Protestants
What you quoted and referenced does not say God punishes us for our sin. I don't believe it seems to say that either. What I read is that we are purified of the punishments for sin.

For example, if I engage in sin, I become a slave to that sin (the punishment) and that sin has ramifications across my life. I need to be released (purified) of that attachment to sin and also repair(expiate) for the damage I've caused. Purgatory IS NOT God punishing us. Is it a great mercy of His.

Thus recourse to the communion of saints lets the contrite sinner be more promptly and efficaciously purified of the punishments for sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That people who don't agree with TULIP should be treated courteously, but that they're liars when it comes to their presumed animosity towards the Christian Reformed Church? I have to say that I haven't encountered that very often. But "nice try," as the saying goes.
Im not sure what you are on about buddy. Have a nice one.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Scripture can't decide. Study the early Church. See what disciples of the Apostles said. Study how the books of the Bible were chosen in a centuries long process that culminated in the 300s.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I’m sorry,really I am.And yes that’s right it’s really not something I can hold against the RCC.
Blaise, I've kept an eye on this thread all along because I want you to find your right church and find peace of mind. Of course, reading the Bible can be illuminating but it probably won't sort out the denominations for you except perhaps in a very general way.

You are not uninformed on a lot of this stuff, but that doesn't mean that it necessarily gets easier when choosing a denomination. So at this point I am wondering if you wouldn't do best to start into a serious study of the differences between the various churches. The computer and any library can help you with that. AND THEN visit and personally observe the most likely churches.

I would also add this--if you narrow your search to a general category of church, such as very ceremonial and historic, Bible-oriented mainline Protestant, Evangelical, Pentecostal, or etc.--you may have to compromise somewhat, simply because few cities have a congregation of every one of them that you can reach on a regular basis!

And also, be mindful that this can take a little time (although I wish that answering a few doctrinal questions for you would solve everything), that it's nothing to be ashamed of if you are forced to change after you think you've found the right one, and that every congregation has its own profile, even after we think we know what they're all about because we have a line on what the denomination each is affiliated with stands for.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It has always worked for me. Not along the lines of the right denomination, but the right church. The right church consists of the right pastor and congregation. You might find a Baptist church that's perfect for you. Whereas another Baptist church wouldn't be. I'd say to stick with mainstream and mainline denominations though. Or if a non-denominational church, one that has mainstream orthodox teaching.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Almost everyone here will say they have found it.

So do yourself a favor - take a few first steps. Here are eleven Bible facts to look up.
1. The Bible (scripture) is "the word of God" according to Jesus. Mark 7:6-13 -
2. God created the World and all life on it Gen 1:2 - thru- Gen 2:24, EX 20:11
3. One God Deut 6:4 in three PERSONS Matt 28:19
4. "ALL scripture is given by inspiration from God AND is to be used for doctrine" 2 Tim 3:16
5. All doctrine is to be tested "sola scriptura" Acts 17:11 Gal 1:6-9
6. "We are saved by Grace through faith - not of works" - Eph 2:6-10 Rom 5:1, John 3:16
7. "It is not the hearers of the Law that are just before God - but the doers of the Law will be justified" Rom 2:13
8. "Not everyone who SAYS Lord Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven - but he who DOES the will of My Father" Matt 7
9. "Each one will stand before the judgment seat of Christ to give an account for the deeds done in the body - whether good deeds or evil deeds" 2 Cor 5:10, Rom 2:4-16
10 "fear Him who is able to destroy both body and soul in hell" Matt 10:28
11 - the last warning message given to mankind before the end of the world is in Rev 14 - according to that chapter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums