United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Everyone,

I have a theological question,I’m very confused on what church Or denomination teaches the correct doctrine,I know Catholics teach a false doctrine,but it seems like I’m double minded,I can’t decide or articulate which branch is correct?, Protestant or Catholic?, can someone help?

• Prayers
Reactions: Ceallaigh

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone,

I have a theological question,I’m very confused on what church Or denomination teaches the correct doctrine,I know Catholics teach a false doctrine,but it seems like I’m double minded,I can’t decide or articulate which branch is correct?, Protestant or Catholic?, can someone help?
I am assuming that when you say "which branch is correct," you meant to say that you have already have ruled out Catholicism and are asking about which variety of Protestantism is the right one. Of course, almost every Protestant would say "It's mine" since those people chose their own churches for their own reasons.

You probably have already given a lot of thought to the different worship styles and doctrines of the various Protestant churches, so if you could advise us of where you stand with that, it would help a lot. Otherwise, this will be a run through of the differences between dozens and dozens of different churches without us knowing what you already have decided, which doctrines might be unacceptable to you, and so on. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All churches have errors (but God still uses them).
Go where you are being fed, now.
(He still might change that, later.)

The Church & Mental Illness...

• Agree
Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am assuming that when you say "which branch is correct," you meant to say that you have already have ruled out Catholicism and are asking about which variety of Protestantism is the right one. Of course, almost every Protestant would say "It's mine" since those people chose their own churches for their own reasons.

You probably have already given a lot of thought to the different worship styles and doctrines of the various Protestant churches, so if you could advise us of where you stand with that, it would help a lot. Otherwise, this will be a run through of the differences between dozens and dozens of different churches without us knowing what you already have decided, which doctrines might be unacceptable to you, and so on. Thanks.
No not really,I’m asking because both sides of the spectrum stand firm In their doctrines calling each other false.My question is are Catholics or Protestants false?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No not really,I’m asking because both sides of the spectrum stand firm In their doctrines calling each other false.My question is are Catholics or Protestants false?
Well, none of them -- at least none of the normal and well-known denominations on either side -- are false, but every one of them can be accused of teaching some false doctrine depending upon the view of the onlooker.

What seems false to one person is thought to be good and true by the next one. You will have to decide for yourself although we here are happy to help you in your investigation.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it seems like I’m double minded,I can’t decide or articulate which branch is correct?
First, you need people who are good example >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

And consider what 1 Timothy 3:1-10 says about what qualifies a person to be an example leader. These examples might not be at the front of a church.

Ones at the front or "top" of a church or organization can be very busy with congratulating themselves that they have certain right doctrines and practices; they can be calling your attention only or mainly to comparing them with ideas and practices of other groups.

But the examples can be busy with how we compare with Jesus, and how Jesus wants us to become in our character and how to relate in God's love. And they minister the grace which changes us to become and to love like Jesus; if someone ministers this effect of God's love to you . . . this could be all you need to know.

And if others don't, fish for them. Pray for them. Have hope for the ones who are not for real > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7) > keep having hope for impossible people, for all that is possible with God.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone,

It’s great that you are seeking God in both Spirit and truth, The scriptures teach us that the Holy Spirit can teach us all things John 14:26

The scriptures also teach us what characteristics God’s saints have:

Here is just one scripture: Revelations 14: 12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

I would pray to the Holy Spirit to teach you all things and to lead you to the Church who still teaches and follows the commandments of God which the Holy Spirit is given to help obey God’s Word. John 14:15-18 I would read scripture for yourself because the devil is tricky and we are told he deceives the whole world. If we are not grounded in the Word of God the dragon can deceive even God’s elect (His saints) so knowing the truth by God’s living Word, the holy bible will be your shield. Proverbs 30:5

The devil wants us confused, but scripture teach us there is only one truth through Jesus. John 14:6

And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi Everyone,

What is a protestant?

Catholics believe that the Catholic Church is the original and first Christian Church. Protestants follow the teachings of Jesus Christ as transmitted through the Old & New Testament. Protestants believe that the Catholic Church stemmed from the original Christian Church, but became corrupt.

Regardless where doctrine (teaching) comes from it must not violate what is written in His Holy Word .... study and know His Word. Focus on the love of God.

That being said there are false teachings among protestants (branches as you refer to them) as well.

Study the life of Jesus and endeavor to follow in His steps. He is our example in everything. It's really not about church doctrine .... it's about one's character ..... and the way they live their life. So, one should search themselves and determine how their life is progressing ... towards the way Jesus lived His .... or away from it.

It's a lifetime journey .... God Bless. May the Lord lead you. Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Everyone,

It's normal to be confused about that around your age. It doesn't help that people know how to scare people into thinking that their denomination is the only one that will allow them to escape condemnation to Hell. Catholics do this, people from various Protestant denominations do this, Eastern Orthodox do this, and cults do this, so don't let scare tactics be what makes the decision for you.

My faith journey was a combination of remembering what I had been taught, putting actual trust in what the Bible said again (as opposed to my own feelings/fears), and involving myself with Bible-based believers. To clarify on each point:
  • What I had been taught growing up was putting Scripture above anything else. My father was a big part of this, he actually grew up Catholic, went to Catholic seminary to become a priest, got Protestant beliefs from his Catholic studies, and they wouldn't ordain him so he went to college and got married. Basically, he had grown up with tradition A, the Scriptures said B, and the answers he was getting back to reconcile them were less than satisfactory, so he figured he'd better go with the Bible instead.
  • In spite of being raised with this, I had entered a fear stage which had both semi-rational and totally irrational components. It was a journey to escape that, and though most of the work had been done by the time I was 18, I wasn't out of the woods yet. I had to actually trust that the promises in Scripture for all were really for me, too. And that God isn't looking to completely ruin people's lives the second they step a half inch off of the path. It could happen, but mercy really is a major part of his character. We'd all be toast without it.
  • When I went to college, I tried a couple campus ministries. They did the same activities, just at different times, so I eventually picked the one I was more comfortable with. This one had a Biblical rationale for every rule they did and didn't have. There was a baptism where how they did it and why was explained Biblically, and that really put me at peace about staying with them. And of course, the people were good.
But, with all of this, your question is very, very general. Different doctrines exist about various practices. Different churches will have different emphases. If you want the truth about doctrine, you have to ask about what specifically you're wondering about. Baptism? Papal authority? Gifts of the Spirit? Transubstantiation? End times?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone,

No denomination is 100% correct because we only know in part. That being said , if you stick to the simplicity of the Gospel, denominations are of no importance.
Blessings

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What is a protestant?

Catholics believe that the Catholic Church is the original and first Christian Church. Protestants follow the teachings of Jesus Christ as transmitted through the Old & New Testament. Protestants believe that the Catholic Church stemmed from the original Christian Church, but became corrupt.

Regardless where doctrine (teaching) comes from it must not violate what is written in His Holy Word .... study and know His Word. Focus on the love of God.

That being said there are false teachings among protestant (branches as you refer to them) as well.

Study the life of Jesus and endeavor to follow in His steps. He is our example in everything. It's really not about church doctrine .... it's about one's character ..... and the way they live their life. So, one should search themselves and determine how their life is progressing ... towards the way Jesus lived His .... or away from it.

This is a wonderful post!! Thank you so much for your wisdom!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone,

You are looking at this the wrong way. Follow God's heart, nature & example first and foremost. Every church will be flawed and have people in it for the wrong reasons, as we've already seen here.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone,

I love this topic!! nice going! :)

Great thread! - you are on the right track.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone,

The protestant reformation was a case of "Protesting Catholics" - that is to say that over a number of centuries Catholics themselves began to "protest" the errors they saw creeping into the Catholic Church and they found that the Bible very often had corrections for those errors.

They pointed out that all doctrine and tradition should be "Tested sola scriptura"

And in Act 17:11 you see an example of that kind of testing
"they studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken to them by the Apostle Paul - were SO"

As you also see Christ doing in Mark 7:6-13

==================

And here is another very good post --

What is a protestant?

That being said there are false teachings among protestant (branches as you refer to them) as well.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Let scripture decide what denomination you choose. Pray for the Holy Spirit for discernment. Read scripture and come to the truth. Find a church that teaches the truth from scripture.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Everyone,

I would forget about the statement "where you are being fed"
I would forget about the answer that no one has 100% of the faith.
I would forget about any place established becasue of the deformation.

Study history, the Church, the Church Fathers. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. There is only ONE CHURCH. I pray you find His Church.

Upvote 0