Hypothetical question re: proportionality

Would the ethnic percentages of the arrestees mirror the ethnic percentages of the US?

• Total voters

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Bingo would be more interesting than this thread that has no point.

Is your point to say that black people did the looting? Is your point to say that white people did the looting? Is your point to say that more black people looted than demo graphical ratios would suggest?

I've already posted information that shows that blacks commit crimes at a higher rate than whites and for what reasons... so what? Whatever argument you're attempting to make, you're failing as no one here knows what the point is... and certainly no one here is convinced (of anything) by it.

Things we know:

The neighborhood is predominantly black.
The protestors were predominantly black.
The poeple who started the looting and rioting were predominantly white.
The people who did most of the looting and rioting after it started where predominantly black.
The people who were there when the police arrived and started arresting people were predominantly black.
The people across the country who have been caught on video and arrested have been predominantly well off white people.
The point is that the percentage of each ethnic group arrested (again, if everyone who looted or rioted was actually arrested) would not match up with the ethnic makeup of our country. Yet when stats of who gets killed by cops is presented, the argument is that blacks are disproportionately killed compared to whites. They think it should be equal to the ethnic makeup of our nation and because it’s not, it shows ethnic bias against blacks by cops.

But here we have slew of riots and looting all across the country. If the BLM supporters are correct, then the arrestees percentages should match the ethnic makeup of the nation.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The point is that the percentage of each ethnic group arrested (again, if everyone who looted or rioted was actually arrested) would not match up with the ethnic makeup of our country. Yet when stats of who gets killed by cops is presented, the argument is that blacks are disproportionately killed compared to whites. They think it should be equal to the ethnic makeup of our nation and because it’s not, it shows ethnic bias against blacks by cops.

But here we have slew of riots and looting all across the country. If the BLM supporters are correct, then the arrestees percentages should match the ethnic makeup of the nation.
Problem:

The ethnic make up of any one given location of your country will vary from the overall ethnic make up.

Also, the motivation of one person to riot, loot, burn something down... will be varied but much more escalated in those whose ethnicity is the same as those who feel like they are targeted.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Problem:

The ethnic make up of any one given location of your country will vary from the overall ethnic make up.

Also, the motivation of one person to riot, loot, burn something down... will be varied but much more escalated in those whose ethnicity is the same as those who feel like they are targeted.
Are you saying that we can’t just look at the numbers? Should we look at circumstances?

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that we can’t just look at the numbers? Should we look at circumstances?
Only if it's white on black, and the white is a cop, and the black guy is unarmed, and it happens in a democrat controlled state. Then we can look at the circumstance... otherwise, we'll pretend it doesnt' exist.

Case in point, the Amoud Arbery case:

The killers used the N-word during the crime. The killers had used the N-word in FaceBook multiple times. The killers had stalked and posted up on their victim. The government didn't prosecute justice on the killers for months after, and only because the video got released. One of the killers was an ex-cop who was still buddies with the government that was supposed to prosecute him.

That was an actual example of systemic racism which prevented justice... but it was ignored because it didn't happen by an active duty cop, and it didn't happen in a democrat-controlled state.

Floyd was a 9 time convicted felon who twice committed aggravated assault with a firearm - once putting a gun to a pregnant black woman's belly threatening her and her baby. He was knelt on by a cop who probably wasn't racist because he had an Asian wife... but he knew Floyd from another job where the two of them butted heads. Floyd was caught high as kite on fentinol and meth trying to pass forged bills, and then violently resisted arrest. He shouldn't' have been killed... but there were no good guys in that scenario. Had he not been high, he wouldn't have died. But because it happened in a democrat controlled state, the democrats could control the narrative.

As I said before... typically there is 225 black people killed each year by cops and 500 white people... 9 of the blacks are unarmed, and 19 of the whites are unarmed. That is with about 700,000 cops in the country. It pales in comparison to the 6000 blacks that are killed by other blacks each year.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When we "look at the circumstances" eg: broken homes, no fathers.. etc..... You claim it's not on topic with the OP... So... what's up Hammy?

• Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
When we "look at the circumstances" eg: broken homes, no fathers.. etc..... You claim it's not on topic with the OP... So... what's up Hammy?
Those aren’t relevant circumstances. What’s relevant is were they armed, were lives in danger, etc? A cop isn’t going to care if daddy was around growing up.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those aren’t relevant circumstances. What’s relevant is were they armed, were lives in danger, etc? A cop isn’t going to care if daddy was around growing up.
It's relevant to criminality rates among black people. It's relevant if you want to know WHY we are in the situation we are in. While blacks make up 13% of the population, they commit 44% of the violent crime, and 53% of murders. Whites make up 60% of the population, but commit only 40% of the murders. The overwhelming majority of black crime is black on black, so it is entirely ignored by the media. The primary cause -- if you ask anyone -- to the high rates of criminality within the black community is the lack of fathers instilling discipline in the home. Why are fathers absent? Leftist policies in the black community of incentivising single-parent homes (single parent welfare recipients get more money), and a concerted effort to intentionally destroying the nuclear family and let the collective raise the children are the primary cause.

Simply put, because the left had such a strangle hold (may George Floyd rest in peace) on the black community, they used them for a guinea pig to try out their leftist, Marxist agenda (destruction of the nuclear family being one of those goals). It has failed miserably. With 75% of black kids born in single-parent homes, we see astronomical rates of crime commission. White homes, on the other hand, have a 25% single-parent rate, and commit far fewer crimes. Hispanic homes are at 40%.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It's relevant to criminality rates among black people. It's relevant if you want to know WHY we are in the situation we are in.
Nope. Not the topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's relevant to criminality rates among black people. It's relevant if you want to know WHY we are in the situation we are in. While blacks make up 13% of the population, they commit 44% of the violent crime, and 53% of murders. Whites make up 60% of the population, but commit only 40% of the murders. The overwhelming majority of black crime is black on black, so it is entirely ignored by the media. The primary cause -- if you ask anyone -- to the high rates of criminality within the black community is the lack of fathers instilling discipline in the home. Why are fathers absent? Leftist policies in the black community of incentivising single-parent homes (single parent welfare recipients get more money), and a concerted effort to intentionally destroying the nuclear family and let the collective raise the children are the primary cause.

Simply put, because the left had such a strangle hold (may George Floyd rest in peace) on the black community, they used them for a guinea pig to try out their leftist, Marxist agenda (destruction of the nuclear family being one of those goals). It has failed miserably. With 75% of black kids born in single-parent homes, we see astronomical rates of crime commission. White homes, on the other hand, have a 25% single-parent rate, and commit far fewer crimes. Hispanic homes are at 40%.
Thanks for that information.. Whether the OP believes it is on topic or not... It's great info and I was not aware of any of it. Thanks for the contribution.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Nope. Not the topic.
Sorry Hammy.. but when I hear "off topic" I usually think of something like an OP about the timing of the rapture and someone starts posing about the moon landings.....

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Sorry Hammy.. but when I hear "off topic" I usually think of something like an OP about the timing of the rapture and someone starts posing about the moon landings.....
When I say it, it’s to stop the derailing of a thread.

Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s really the point of this. When the #BLM-types talks stats, it’s almost always raw numbers. I had a long discussion last week with a BLM supporter. All he would say is that blacks were killed by cops at a disproportionate rate compared to the population. But I could never get him to look at why.

By your own statement, the topic includes BLM, blacks killed by cops, and the rate relative to population. These topics should be fair game.

The why was largely irrelevant. So if all we did was look at these raw numbers, it would make it look like the cops arrested looters and rioters at a disproportionate rate, which would support the systemic racism argument. And I think they know that the numbers don’t tell the whole story.

Your statement here shows that without the "why," one arrives at the undesired outcome that systemic racism is supported by the raw data. Your implication is that the "why" is relevant and helps us to understand and interpret the raw data.

And my anecdotal evidence is that this thread has gotten quite a few views, but the participation by those on the left has been minimal, and the responses have not actually addressed the OP. There’s just nothing to spin.

It may be that your point was too ambiguous to respond to because it was obfuscated and the reader was supposed to "guess" what it was. A more effective strategy in communication would be to do the following:

1. Tell us what you are going to tell us (bullet point style)
2. Tell us in full glorious detail
3. Tell us what you told us (in summary style)

When pressed on the point of the OP, you said:
The point is that the percentage of each ethnic group arrested (again, if everyone who looted or rioted was actually arrested) would not match up with the ethnic makeup of our country. Yet when stats of who gets killed by cops is presented, the argument is that blacks are disproportionately killed compared to whites. They think it should be equal to the ethnic makeup of our nation and because it’s not, it shows ethnic bias against blacks by cops. But here we have slew of riots and looting all across the country. If the BLM supporters are correct, then the arrestees percentages should match the ethnic makeup of the nation.

A fair point. You say, for example, that if blacks make up 13% of the population, but were they involved in say 80% of the looting and rioting, why is this not indicative of collective black criminality, but when blacks make up 13% of the population, but are involved in 30% police shootings, why is this indicative of collective (the collective of "the system") or systemic racism.

The answer is simple -- they are not being consistent. But the answer begs the question; why are they not being consistent? This shows that, while your point may be salient, it is not an effective argument. In fact, even sound, effective arguments are not an effective argument, because you haven't answered the real "why" to your own question -- why aren't they being consistent.

They aren't being consistent because they are being emotionally manipulated. They aren't being consistent or logical because they are 'out of their minds.' I mean out of their minds in a technical sense. Psychologically, when your emotions well up, they overwhelm your logic centers and prevent you from thinking rationally. Women, who have many times the number of connections between the left and right hemispheres of the brain than men do, and who use both hemispheres of their brains simultaneously, can overcome this deficiency more easily than men who are almost entirely incapable of thinking both logically and emotionally at the same time.

In my experience in speaking with my friends of color who are steeped in leftist thinking, it is nearly impossible to get them to see 'facts' or think logically when they are 'feeling' so deeply right now. The left has convinced them that their collective distinctions are more important than their spiritual ones... that their cultural identity is superior or takes precedence over their Christian identity. They tell them that an affront on one black person by a white person is an affront upon them personally, and they should feel all the feels as if it happened to them. They dump the collective guilt, shame, and sorrow of generations upon each until they are so out of their mind emotionally, they don't care about truth.

In fact, the left has made a concerted effort to focus on feelings over facts, and to bring about a "post modern" or "post truth" culture.

This is why people like Candace Owens is of paramount importance right now. The key to winning the current argument is women. They can tolerate a lot more emotion mixed with logic than the men can. Any emotion at all, and men are done... they no longer think logically. But Candace Owens argues like a woman. She argues facts emotionally. That's what women of color need right now... emotion that is consistent with a position. They don't need to be cottled... they need to see we're jsut as ticked off as they are about racism, but we've got a better solution. Sometimes that comes with negative emotions directed at the person you are trying to convince ... this is antithetical to the way men would argue with one another, but is exactly how women argue with one another. In fact, women see emotionless argument as disingenuous. They don't understand men can't do both emotion and logic at the same time... because their logic is informed by their emotion (we call it intuition). They can't imagine thinking logically without emotion, so they think we must be crazy (or lying) to separate the two.

To come over the the light side, they will have to first release their bitterness, hatred of whites, and unforgiveness. They will have to be unburdened of their emotional baggage. Since they are operating on emotion, the men won't see this... but the women may.

When my wife gets upset, a 3 step plan helps her release her emotions:

1. Apologize
An apology to a woman is not an admission of guilt (as it is for men), but is an emotional signal that you have begun to empathize and understand what she is feeling. It says to her, your heart is soft and accepting of her. For example, little Johnny falls and skins his knee. She rushes over and wipes his tears and says "I'm sorry Johnny." She doesn't mean "i know I pushed you over" ... she means "I know how that feels."

2. Empathize.
Women spiderweb and covey senseless series of random stories, each describing an aspect of her emotional state so that you can put yourself in her 'emotional shoes' and understand where she is at. No man in his right mind could follow that convoluted web, so the only 'correct' response to her stories is "wow... I can see why you feel that way." Attempt to understand she's unburdening her emotions... even if it feels like she's attacking you, this is her letting that emotional vomit and darkness out. If you argue with her at this point, you're telling her she didn't feel that way... well she did feel that way, right or wrong... so just shut up and take it. Just nod and say "You're right... I'm sorry... I can see why you felt that way."

3. Reassure
She ultimately needs love more than respect (most men are the opposite). So step 3 is to replace the negative emotions with reassurance of love. "you're right... I'm sorry... I can see why you felt unloved. I want you know that nothing could be further from the truth... I love you more than anything." Since her emotions inform her logic, this 'gift' (a gift is not something earned or deserved) of grace lets her replace the touchstone of emotions in understanding your behavior from "he doesn't love me, that's why he's doing this" to a context of "he loves me" when she re-processes whatever upset her in that context. Once she re-processes she can release it and move on. If a woman "gets historical" or recalls everything wrong you've ever done it's because she cannot process emotion and logic separately... if she never released the emotions, she never forgot the event. As soon as you help her release the emotion, she'll forget the event.
While this process works with close friends or people you wish to maintain real relationships with, it doesn't translate to convincing women in mass. For that you may need the "woman vs woman" tactic of arguing. Each of you conveys in rage and emotion how the other has hurt them often seeming like an out of control argument and once they both have released all their anger and when it's all spent, one will offer an apology, they they both start "understanding" one other through who can apologize the most. Then they go back to what they were previously doing like nothing happened, but both feeling heard and more connected to the other.

This is where someone like Candace Owens sits... she's fiery and can articulate in righteous anger the case for the hatred, victim thinking, and the pure racism of leftism having been the real culprit to the suffering of black people. Once people can work out that anger and let go of it, and start thinking rationally again, they will be open to truth and logic.

Of course we also have the ability for supernatural healing of those emotional wounds. If I were a betting man, that's where I'd put all my money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
At least you were on topic. Mostly, anyway. I stopped reading about half way through.

For future reference, if you want responses, don’t post walls of text.

FWIW, I set my OP up in the way I did for a reason. While that reason may not be obvious to you, it’s still there. If you want to start an OP with your bullet points, by all means do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At least you were on topic. Mostly, anyway. I stopped reading about half way through.

For future reference, if you want responses, don’t post walls of text.

FWIW, I set my OP up in the way I did for a reason. While that reason may not be obvious to you, it’s still there. If you want to start an OP with your bullet points, by all means do so.
I'll bite... why did you set it up that way? Was it so that someone else came to the conclusion you came to based on the same variables you were considering? Was it so that you wouldn't seem racist?

I've moved beyond all that white noise (pun intended). I'm just going to speak the truth in love. Race is a meaningless social construct and if people want to get hung up on it, that's their malfunction, not mine... I'm simply not going to let leftists convince me to self-silence because I'm not the right skin color for my opinion to matter.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let’s say that the police were able to arrests every single rioter and looter over the past couple of weeks. Would the ethnic percentages of the arrestees mirror the ethnic percentages of the US?
That’s such a weird thing to poll, unless the people you’re polling were witnesses. Are you evaluating attitudes?

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some people become cops just because they like the power...

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'll bite... why did you set it up that way? Was it so that someone else came to the conclusion you came to based on the same variables you were considering? Was it so that you wouldn't seem racist?

I've moved beyond all that white noise (pun intended). I'm just going to speak the truth in love. Race is a meaningless social construct and if people want to get hung up on it, that's their malfunction, not mine... I'm simply not going to let leftists convince me to self-silence because I'm not the right skin color for my opinion to matter.
Most of my OPs are set up as questions. It’s not a Socratic thing necessarily. But I’ve discovered that if I have a long post in the OP explaining my view, or what I want to discuss, invariably someone will isolate a small section of what I said and post about that. And usually it’s out of context. I’m not blaming anyone because I tend to do the same thing. But if I ask a question, I can better direct the discussion. It sometimes takes awhile to get there, as in this OP. I asked a question, and instead of straight answers, it appears as if folks wanted to try to read my mind, or guess my intentions. Or jump ten steps ahead. Hard to say exactly.

So while it was a bit tedious to get to the point (which wouldn’t have been the case had people just stayed on topic), the thread ended up where I wanted.

ETA: here’s an example.

Hypothetical question re: proportionality

Upvote 0