USA
✟44,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been a part of the worship team in my church for about ten years. My dad is currently the one who chooses the songs that we do each week and one of the things he brings up a lot is the balance between hymns and newer songs. The older folks in our church (and even some of the younger ones) are more prone to want to sing the hymns because it's what they grew up with. The younger generations tend to prefer the newer songs. We have had people leave our church because we didn't sing enough hymns.
So, I was wondering what your opinions were. Are hymns "better"? Would you prefer a church that sang more hymns or more newer songs? Does it matter?

Newer songs, for reference, are like Oceans by Hillsong (cause everyone knows that song, right?)

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We learn a lot of doctrine through the old hymns and singing helps are memories so I think it is a good practice to keep the hymn tradition but new songs are good too and catchy! I think that is why churches have separate services, an early one with traditional hymns and a later one for new songs.

I like hymns the church I go to is mostly hymns but I listen to newer songs at home.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've been a part of the worship team in my church for about ten years. My dad is currently the one who chooses the songs that we do each week and one of the things he brings up a lot is the balance between hymns and newer songs. The older folks in our church (and even some of the younger ones) are more prone to want to sing the hymns because it's what they grew up with. The younger generations tend to prefer the newer songs. We have had people leave our church because we didn't sing enough hymns.
So, I was wondering what your opinions were. Are hymns "better"? Would you prefer a church that sang more hymns or more newer songs? Does it matter?

Newer songs, for reference, are like Oceans by Hillsong (cause everyone knows that song, right?)
I play harmonica on some church steps, I don't go to church, but I play old hymns, I learned one song that was new, but I don't feel it teaches anything like old hymns.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We learn a lot of doctrine through the old hymns and singing helps are memories so I think it is a good practice to keep the hymn tradition but new songs are good too and catchy! I think that is why churches have separate services, an early one with traditional hymns and a later one for new songs.

I like hymns the church I go to is mostly hymns but I listen to newer songs at home.
Christmas carols of the more traditional variety also often have a great deal of Biblical truth, that make them well worth singing :)

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single

We have the same problem at our church for our contemporary service. We solved it by doing this -- we sing three songs each week.

Song #1 is a contemporary song written after the year 2000
Song #2 is an older contemporary song (written sometime between 1960 and 1999) (We had an issue with some of the older folks preferring contemporary songs that were contemporary to them when they were growing up)
Song #3 is an old hymn set to contemporary music

That way every week there is at least one song that is in the style that they like.

Upvote 0

RageOfAngels

Sep 1, 2017
Sussex
✟43,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I like a bit of both, but if I had to pick I would chose hymns every time. Hymns are generally written better and are more meaningful. If you 'beef' the music up a bit with guitars and such then some of the older hymns come right up to date and sound incredible in music aswell as words.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

RageOfAngels

Sep 1, 2017
Sussex
✟43,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in a church who just used hymns and nothing else. For the past 7 years I've been in a church where it's 95% contemporary songs and maybe once a month an old hymn, and BOY do I miss those old hymns! "Here Is Love" "And Can It Be" etc.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is true that hymns tend to have more meaning to them. I've been moved by both hymns and more contemporary music, so I'm kind of divided. But it's interesting to see how many people prefer the good old hymns!
In the end, the lyrics count for lot, right? :)

Some hard rock Christian songs might not be suitable for general, congregational singing, but their lyrics are hard hitting enough and Biblical.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in a church who just used hymns and nothing else. For the past 7 years I've been in a church where it's 95% contemporary songs and maybe once a month an old hymn, and BOY do I miss those old hymns! "Here Is Love" "And Can It Be" etc.
Yes, there is a wealth of truth in the old hymns, so often!

Someone has said that some new songs are 'profoundly unmemorable'. :)

Some are good, though.

(Great avatar there! is it of your tattoo?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is true that hymns tend to have more meaning to them. I've been moved by both hymns and more contemporary music, so I'm kind of divided. But it's interesting to see how many people prefer the good old hymns!
You know, it's a really valuable opportunity for The Holy Spirit, and He only gets to have a few songs once a week. It is an opportunity to plant thoughtful words in minds with a tune that can happen to bubble up throughout the day, and before we know it, we find ourselves whistling to the tune. It is useful to Him because those words can grow into an understanding as He ministers to us. Whereas the modern songs amount to "thank you Jesus, we love to be here" - there's just not really anything of value that The Holy Spirit can teach through those words.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
You know, it's a really valuable opportunity for The Holy Spirit, and He only gets to have a few songs once a week. It is an opportunity to plant thoughtful words in minds with a tune that can happen to bubble up throughout the day, and before we know it, we find ourselves whistling to the tune. It is useful to Him because those words can grow into an understanding as He ministers to us. Whereas the modern songs amount to "thank you Jesus, we love to be here" - there's just not really anything of value that The Holy Spirit can teach through those words.
It depends on what modern songs you are talking about. There is still a great variety in them, and some of them are based on Scripture. Not all modern songs are in the same category, or even in the same style.

Some of them are shallow on lyrics and theology. Others are not. You have to really look at the lyrics to see what the song is actually saying.

Both hymns and modern songs have value in the church. Neither is all good or all bad.

There is also a difference between the older modern songs, and some of the ones written in the late 1990's to about 2010 or so, and then the ones that are popular now. There is a difference in the style of music and the quality of the lyrics. There is also a difference from artist to artist.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It depends on what modern songs you are talking about. There is still a great variety in them, and some of them are based on Scripture. Not all modern songs are in the same category, or even in the same style.

Some of them are shallow on lyrics and theology. Others are not. You have to really look at the lyrics to see what the song is actually saying.

Both hymns and modern songs have value in the church. Neither is all good or all bad.

There is also a difference between the older modern songs, and some of the ones written in the late 1990's to about 2010 or so, and then the ones that are popular now. There is a difference in the style of music and the quality of the lyrics. There is also a difference from artist to artist.
Yes you are right, and you seem to know the repertoire very well! It was only a few weeks ago I noticed that there was some really good lyrics in a church that was using contemporary pop-worship music. My point was that some churches waste a valuable opportunity.

My advice is to let Him guide you so that He can construct His ministry through your service and then His spirit will be empowered to conduct divine worship. If anyone should leave under those circumstances (Luke 10:16), then you can have full confidence to know that you are without blame (Romans 6:16 - obedience leads to righteousness, as in Romans 8:33 and Isaiah 54:17).

"Commit thy works unto Jehovah, and thy purposes shall be established."
Proverbs 16:3

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Yes you are right, and you seem to know the repertoire very well! It was only a few weeks ago I noticed that there was some really good lyrics in a church that was using contemporary pop-worship music. My point was that some churches waste a valuable opportunity.

My advice is to let Him guide you so that He can construct His ministry through your service and then His spirit will be empowered to conduct divine worship. If anyone should leave under those circumstances (Luke 10:16), then you can have full confidence to know that you are without blame (Romans 6:16 - obedience leads to righteousness, as in Romans 8:33 and Isaiah 54:17).

"Commit thy works unto Jehovah, and thy purposes shall be established."
Proverbs 16:3
:) Sounds like good advice.

Yes, and churches need to be discerning about what songs to use. Just because a song is popular doesn't make it theologically correct. There are some Christian artists out there who produce songs for certain churches that I believe have huge theological problems. I don't feel comfortable supporting their ministries, so I refuse to use songs from those artists.

No one has perfect theology, but if what the church it comes from has as the majority of their teachings things that don't line up with the Bible, I see no reason to use the music that comes out of that ministry.

• Agree
Reactions: Bass4Jesus
Upvote 0

Breve

Dec 21, 2016
Texas
✟20,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are arrangements for SATB choirs that meld a contemporary worship with a hymn. I think these work well.

The problem i have with the traditional hymns is that the arrangement played straight from the hymn book is bang the chords, bam! Bam! Bam! And at the end of each verse or chorus there's no pause so it feels like a race to the finish. No wonder so many don't like them. The problem with many contemporary worship is that the band makes it all about them - a perfect performance - instead leading the congregation in worship - which means everyone singing instead of just bopping along to the band. Old style traditional hymns fulfil the aim of worship - communal singing - but the arrangements don't do any justice to the melodies and turn ppl off. Contemporary music can easily turn into mere entertainment. There's got to be a happy medium, right?

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:) Sounds like good advice.

Yes, and churches need to be discerning about what songs to use. Just because a song is popular doesn't make it theologically correct. There are some Christian artists out there who produce songs for certain churches that I believe have huge theological problems. I don't feel comfortable supporting their ministries, so I refuse to use songs from those artists.

No one has perfect theology, but if what the church it comes from has as the majority of their teachings things that don't line up with the Bible, I see no reason to use the music that comes out of that ministry.
You sound very responsible, and I am grateful for that. Too many people are not so responsible, taking liberties that impact detrimentally upon the innocent ones. I find that the bible translations are most to blame for the vastness of theological problems, but that too is a result of theological problems ingrained in the translators themselves.. so our present situation stems from way back in 2 Peter 2:1. Just one little false idea assumed on good authority is enough to ruin a person's faith (briefly - John 10:29, Daniel 11:35, Luke 15:4).

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I grew up on a mix of hymns and contemporary music. There are a lot of great hymns that people miss out on if they only sing contemporary songs, though there are also a lot of hymns that are so-so, and I think the same can be said for contemporary songs. I personally would prefer it if my current congregation would singe more hymns, but our song selection is understandable considering that we are gifted with some talented musicians who write some of their own music and prefer to sing in Hebrew. However, regardless of whether we sing new or older songs, it is important to keep in mind that we aren't singing for our entertainment, but to worship God. Someone who disassociated themselves from a community of believers because they prefer a different style of music is completely focused on the wrong thing.

Upvote 0