Oregon
✟107,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is one of those knee-buckling hymns when I sang it the first time on Lenten Service last Wednesday.

It was composed by Herbert Brokering (of Earth and all Stars) and text by Carl Schalk. Composed sometime in the 1980’s at Holden Village, WA during a week long summer camp. Strong tune, Strong text. Recording by the American Repertory Singers. Enjoy.

(3:41)

Thine the amen
Thine the praise
alleluias
angels raise
Thine the
everlasting head
Thine the breaking
of the bread
Thine the glory
Thine the story
Thine the harvest
then the cup
Thine the vineyard
then the cup is
lifted up
lifted up.

Thine the life
eternally
Thine the promise
let there be
Thine the vision
Thine the tree
all the earth
on bended knee
Gone the nailing
gone the railing
gone the pleading
gone the cry
Gone the sighing
gone the dying
what was loss
lifted high.

Thine the truly
Thine the yes
Thine the table
we the guest
Thine the mercy
all from Thee
Thine the glory
yet to be
Then the ringing
and the singing
then the end
of all the war
Thine the living
Thine the loving
evermore
evermore.

Thine the kingdom
Thine the prize
Thine the wonder
full surprise
Thine the banquet
then the praise
then the justice
of Thy ways
Thine the glory
Thine the story
Then the welcome
to the least
Then the wonder
all increasing
at Thy feast
at Thy feast.

Thine the glory
in the night
no more dying
only light
Thine the river
Thine the tree
Then the Lamb
eternally
Then the holy
holy holy
celebration
jubilee
Thine the splendor
Thine the brightness
only Thee
only Thee.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Very nice, very traditional! Indeed, exquisite. It is a joy to see good new hymns being composed!

While I take pleasure in the fact that the average age of hymns in my church is about a thousand years, give or take 200, that does not mean I want the composition of beautiful new hymns and church music to stop, rather, I want it to continue according to the beautiful, traditional, doctrinally rich forms such as this!

And this is truly splendid. Is this in the Lutheran Service Book 2006 or another hymnal?

God bless you my friend!

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Really @Ain't Zwinglian I absolutely love this hymn. I hope you and I some day might have the pleasure of listening to our respective collections of sacred music some day.

If I do decide to get married, and I am increasingly moving in that direction, I have realized it is very important that my wife not have a preference for CCM. I wouldn’t mind if she on occasion listened to some light works of popular music, indeed this might be endearing given how extremely erudite my own tastes are, which has caused me at times to not enjoy some works that I actually should like for no other reason than they postdate the big band era (which is the most recent era of popular music I know much about, I greatly enjoy Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington, and the other great composers and conductors of swing music), but I couldn’t deal with CCM or worse, Christian rock, since I object to it on a theological level.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟107,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really @Ain't Zwinglian I absolutely love this hymn. I hope you and I some day might have the pleasure of listening to our respective collections of sacred music some day.

If I do decide to get married, and I am increasingly moving in that direction, I have realized it is very important that my wife not have a preference for CCM. I wouldn’t mind if she on occasion listened to some light works of popular music, indeed this might be endearing given how extremely erudite my own tastes are, which has caused me at times to not enjoy some works that I actually should like for no other reason than they postdate the big band era (which is the most recent era of popular music I know much about, I greatly enjoy Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington, and the other great composers and conductors of swing music), but I couldn’t deal with CCM or worse, Christian rock, since I object to it on a theological level.
I am serious thinking about changing my funeral preferences (someday) to include this hymn. You heard it before, I never have. I like big band music also. Especially the real sassy stuff...arrangements of Doc Severson and the Tonight Show band.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I am serious thinking about changing my funeral preferences (someday) to include this hymn. You heard it before, I never have. I like big band music also. Especially the real sassy stuff...arrangements of Doc Severson and the Tonight Show band.

No this was the first time I heard this particular hymn, so you introduced me to it! But it is in the traditional Chorale style popularized by Martin Luther and used by Isaac Watts, Charles Wesley and Arthur Sullivan, among many other very talented hymn writers.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟107,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No this was the first time I heard this particular hymn, so you introduced me to it! But it is in the traditional Chorale style popularized by Martin Luther and used by Isaac Watts, Charles Wesley and Arthur Sullivan, among many other very talented hymn writers.
Most individuals think "Our Fortress is our God" from Luther is the hymn of the Lutheran Reformation. Wrong. The pre-emptive hymn is commonly just called Speratus or in German "Es ist das Heil uns kommen her" or in English "To us salvation now is come" (1845).

Some thots on hymns and hymn singing....as a non professional...just some observations on Hymnody.

Hymn singing started to die out with the invention of the radio. Prior to the radio, the piano in America in the home, was the radio, with the piano singing as a national past time. In Christian homes, hymn singing not uncommon.

More to come on Hymnody. I will start a new thread.

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Most individuals think "Our Fortress is our God" from Luther is the hymn of the Lutheran Reformation. Wrong. The pre-emptive hymn is commonly just called Speratus or in German "Es ist das Heil uns kommen her" or in English "To us salvation now is come" (1845).

Some thots on hymns and hymn singing....as a non professional...just some observations on Hymnody.

Hymn singing started to die out with the invention of the radio. Prior to the radio, the piano in America in the home, was the radio, with the piano singing as a national past time. In Christian homes, hymn singing not uncommon.

More to come on Hymnody. I will start a new thread.

I would love that. I should also like to PM you about it. I have a close relative who is a composer of sacred music who I think you should meet; she is a retired professor and also before her back was broken when her car was struck by a distracted driver in the 1980s (who was talking to the person in the car next to them), served as the organist at a church where she composed several preludes and postludes and other service music including traditional hymns of the chorale form.

Also I would love, in your upcoming thread, to talk about some of the more ancient forms of hymn that exist in the different Eastern churches like the Kontakion, Troparion, and so on.

Upvote 0