human life began in Africa, is this not what the bible tells us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So you say you don't believe the book of Genesis, that you don't take it literal?

I believe the book of Genesis, but no I do not read the early chapters of Genesis literally.

My question, do you pick and choose what you do and don't believe in the Bible?

No. I believe the entire Bible is divinely inspired. I also don't read the Revelation of John literally--I don't believe that when John talks about the harlot named Babylon riding a multi-headed crimson monster that it is literally about a prostitute and her pet hydra.

Non-literal interpretation of certain parts of Scripture is not the same thing as non-belief in those Scriptures.

In order to believe don't you have to believe all of it, can you pick and choose?

Non-literal readings of certain parts of Scripture have always been part of the historic Church's reading of Scripture. St. Augustine of Hippo, as a particularly famous example, is hardly a heretic or a non-Christian because he believed Genesis 1 was an allegory.

Do you believe in Abraham?

Yes.

You confuse me, you fight the corner of science in this thread and you are also fighting the corner of the unbelievers in my other thread.

I can't think of any time that I've fought "in the corner of the unbelievers". My goal is always to contend for what I believe is true and good. I believe that is my Christian obligation to stand for truth and what is good.

It's not a battle between us and them. Recall St. Paul says that our contest is not with other people. The non-believing aren't my enemy, and if the believing and un-believing both agree the earth is round, or that giving food to a hungry person is good, that doesn't mean the Christian has erred as though if a non-Christian believes or does something it is automatically wrong.

What matters is what is actually true, what matters is what is actually good.

If you don't believe in Genesis, doesn't it bring into question the rest of the entire bible, because they are some very important foundations in Genesis.

As I said already, I believe Genesis.

Do you believe in the Exodus?

Yes.

Do you believe Jesus is God?

Yes.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ihavefoundgod951

Mar 4, 2014
✟11,909.00
Faith
Christian
I believe the book of Genesis, but no I do not read the early chapters of Genesis literally.

No. I believe the entire Bible is divinely inspired. I also don't read the Revelation of John literally--I don't believe that when John talks about the harlot named Babylon riding a multi-headed crimson monster that it is literally about a prostitute and her pet hydra.

Non-literal interpretation of certain parts of Scripture is not the same thing as non-belief in those Scriptures.

Non-literal readings of certain parts of Scripture have always been part of the historic Church's reading of Scripture. St. Augustine of Hippo, as a particularly famous example, is hardly a heretic or a non-Christian because he believed Genesis 1 was an allegory.

Yes.

I can't think of any time that I've fought "in the corner of the unbelievers". My goal is always to contend for what I believe is true and good. I believe that is my Christian obligation to stand for truth and what is good.

It's not a battle between us and them. Recall St. Paul says that our contest is not with other people. The non-believing aren't my enemy, and if the believing and un-believing both agree the earth is round, or that giving food to a hungry person is good, that doesn't mean the Christian has erred as though if a non-Christian believes or does something it is automatically wrong.

What matters is what is actually true, what matters is what is actually good.

As I said already, I believe Genesis.

Yes.

Yes.

-CryptoLutheran
Do you believe when the bible says Jonah was sallowed by a giant fish?

Noah?

Moses parted the red sea?

Moses rod turns into a snake? Then back into the rod?

The burning bush?

You say you don't believe the early chapters of Genesis?, Jesus quotes verses from those early chapters, telling me Jesus believes them to be true, are you saying Jesus is a liar?

Can you pick and choose what you believe? If you doubt one part of it, doesn't in put the validity of all of it in doubt?

Upvote 0

yesyoushould

Jan 14, 2015
✟1,398.00
Faith
Christian
Wow, that was rude and more then a little incoherent.

Have you honestly not heard the phrase "Young Earth Creationist"? It's a term mostly applied to those who believe that Genesis 1 describes a literal even that occurred approximately six thousand years ago.

I was merely trying to explain that I (and most evolution accepting people) fully accept that people have very real belief in many forms of creationism. However, that someone believes it is not, in and of itself, a good reason for me to agree.

Calculate the years before death existed before attacking me please.

Upvote 0
K

kristina411

I hope we can all realize that just because the oldest known bones were found somewhere does not mean civilization or humans actually began there.

I think it is HILARIOUS that so may people think we are ready to accurately depict the beginning of humans from what archeological digs have found thus far.

You do realize just how large this planet is and just how little has actually been dug in the grand scheme of things. With as little work as has been done, anything any of us think we know about our beginning is a very premature theory.

Just giving the reminder here.

Upvote 0

yesyoushould

Jan 14, 2015
✟1,398.00
Faith
Christian
I hope we can all realize that just because the oldest known bones were found somewhere does not mean civilization or humans actually began there.

I think it is HILARIOUS that so may people think we are ready to accurately depict the beginning of humans from what archeological digs have found thus far.

You do realize just how large this planet is and just how little has actually been dug in the grand scheme of things. With as little work as has been done, anything any of us think we know about our beginning is a very premature theory.

Just giving the reminder here.

Lol. God is all the proof we need.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yesyoushould

Jan 14, 2015
✟1,398.00
Faith
Christian
Can I ask what you at disagreeing with?

kristina411, your suggesting that all is speculation. I'm saying God is the answer.

I'm not debating on that.

I'm pointing out everything we "know" about our early ages, even evolution, is premature speculation.

I am a Christian, just so ya know:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,429.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Calculate the years before death existed before attacking me please.

I honestly meant no attack.

When you use phrases like "Make things up much?" and "Don't go dumb on me." you can see why it is easy to assume you were being insulting?

As I understand the universe, death has existed almost as long as life, all that lives can break and die.

However, I assume you are talking about a literal interpretation of the Bible, and I honestly can't say when death began. Adam and Eve weren't vulnerable to death till they ate the fruit, but they were living and eating before that, so maybe other things were already dying.

Why don't you explain what you mean?

Upvote 0

yesyoushould

Jan 14, 2015
✟1,398.00
Faith
Christian
I honestly meant no attack.

When you use phrases like "Make things up much?" and "Don't go dumb on me." you can see why it is easy to assume you were being insulting?

As the truth suggests, it isn't personal. I'm so sorry if I hurt your feelings, I never meant to do such and I apologize. i never meant any harm and sometimes, i think it is best to keep my mouth shut. But I still do not agree with the butchery of Creation.

Upvote 0

yesyoushould

Jan 14, 2015
✟1,398.00
Faith
Christian
However, I assume you are talking about a literal interpretation of the Bible, and I honestly can't say when death began. Adam and Eve weren't vulnerable to death till they ate the fruit, but they were living and eating before that, so maybe other things were already dying.

Why don't you explain what you mean?

All things are made for man, literally.

Forgive me if I have offended a woman. When I said man, I meant mankind, humans.

I still have no evidence that Adam being an eternal creature, is only judged after he fell, by mankind, a valid point of hatred for Christianity.

My first post on this thread about life being from God, still stands.

Upvote 0
K

kristina411

kristina411, your suggesting that all is speculation. I'm saying God is the answer.

No, I'm saying by using science we are using very faulty speculation.

I never said anything about God, merely pointed out the faults in relying on scientific data to determine our beginning.

I understand that in these forums there are a lot of.people trying to argue but its important that we don't jump to conclusions without being fully informed of what someone is saying. Just as we should not jump to conclusions based on the faulty scientific data we do have when its not even a fraction of what is really there.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.