Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have a confession. When I see a huge post, I will usualy skip it. Not that I beleive it's irrelevant, it may be, and not that I'm addressing any post specifically, I'm not.

Granted there are times I don't skip them, and honestly there are times I shouldn't, but if it seems I've done so during one of those times I shouldn't have, please let me know. :)

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Svt4Him said:
I have a confession. When I see a huge post, I will usualy skip it. Not that I beleive it's irrelevant, it may be, and not that I'm addressing any post specifically, I'm not.

Granted there are times I don't skip them, and honestly there are times I shouldn't, but if it seems I've done so during one of those times I shouldn't have, please let me know. :)
Are we confessing stuff?:)
I have often thought how nice it would be to have an accountability group on here where we could confess and get help with some sins that may be causing us problems.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟566,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it is a large post that is obviously a cut and paste job from some other source than our little fellowship here... I almost always skip them. Some folks have posted pages and pages of material... I do not even glance at it.

This is not really a confession... it is a plea to not do this. I try to keep my posts to less than what will fit on a screen. If it is not possible, I try to split it up.

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
:sigh: I'm guilty of posting long posts. I've done this not just here but in the past on other sites--I'm learning :blush: I tend to write long sometimes because I need to explain in details--or I love to tell stories or get in detail about certain things, etc. Something I wish I was able to do when talking in person---I have slight aphasia(result of brain damage when premature baby)--so I find writing a perfect outlet since I can't do it talking(I'll lose train of thought and struggle with getting it all together when talking, etc). I feel like if I miss out a detail it will make the post less interesting or something. Forgive me, this long poster :cry: Lara

Upvote 0

Krystina661

- Everyday is a new beginning -
Dec 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟11,676.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Svt4Him said:
I have a confession. When I see a huge post, I will usualy skip it.

Same here.. :wave:

In my opinion I think the shortest answers are the best and most correct. I usually skip huge posts as I don't have the patience to read most of them. :sorry:

Upvote 0

mle

4lifeinchrist
Dec 28, 2003
Squamish
✟11,153.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How long is a long post?

I think it is important to read the whole post in order to respond to it. I also do not always read the long ones because of time constraints. If I am interested in the subject matter I really enjoy a long post. I like to know what others have on thier hearts and on their minds.
I've noticed some posters that rarely say more than a few words at a time. I find this frustrating because it does not keep "conversation" going and it is hard to get to know someone when all they say is a couple of words.
I really want to know you, brothers and sister, do not hold back. I'm listening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristianRocks

Christ lives in me and I in Him.
Feb 4, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta
Visit site
✟8,368.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im kinda in the same boat as you mle. I feel that short post don't really do it for me. As you said, it's hard to carry on a conversation with someone that only says something like, "Yup I agree."

Personally, I'm "wired" so that everything must be explained in full detail, kinda like a perfectionist but not quite. That habit has stemmed from all my Engineering courses teaching me to prove prove prove in long detail, lol. ;) It kinda helps that I personally have the time to read long posts, though. In the end long posts tend to be very thought out (usually) and contain a lot of , how to say it, "meat"? They give you a lot to think about. And I think as christians we should still be open to new ideas. Just because a post is long doesn't mean all of a sudden it isn't worth your time, its probably just because you don't have the time.

But, you would probably find it worth your while to start getting into the habit of at least skimming the thread to see what was written, as Rainbow Rose suggested. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Oh and:

I have often thought how nice it would be to have an accountability group on here where we could confess and get help with some sins that may be causing us problems.

I love that idea sweetkitty, when can we start? ;)

God Bless

Upvote 0

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
sometimes, all that needs to be said is said in a couple of words. sometimes, saying, "yup, i agree" is meant less to carry on a convo than it is to give encouragement to somebody, that they are not the only ones to feel a certain way, or that the first person basically said it all already, and just want to state their position. stuff like that.

i'm glad we all come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and lengths of posts. if everyone posted long, mle, i would be frusterated myself!!!!

Upvote 0

Theophilus7

Sep 21, 2003
England
Visit site
✟8,472.00
Faith
Christian
Oh dear. :sorry:

I must confess, some of my posts are a little long, though virtually all have been original. (In fact, I have gone on to write full length articles from some of the thoughts you chaps have extracted from me. :D) But I would be sorry to think people never took the trouble to read any long posts.

My longest, as far as I know, was in response to Mle's question about whether God created evil. http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=1868187#post1868187. Some questions are too important to answer glibly in a few sentences...

But I think we do well, as a general rule, to aim for shorts posts. We should use words sparingly and to try and make each sentence say something meaningful. And this applies as much to those who are inclined to make short posts as to those who are tempted to write long ones. Frankly, many of the short posts I read, though they take little effort, are devoid of content and add nothing to the discussion into which they are inserted, except to bury some of the better, more thoughtful contributions which deserve to be read.

There. That wasn't too long, was it? ;)

Upvote 0

Follower of Christ too

Apr 8, 2003
Ohio
✟660.00
Faith
Christian
I do more reading here than writing. If I am active in a thread I read everything long or short. There are people here I have learned much from and I read all thier post and sometimes they are somewhat lengthy. I have read some real lengthy threads because to me they were just bizarre. I agree that a short answer can be effective and to the point.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Theophilus7 said:
Oh dear. :sorry:

I must confess, some of my posts are a little long, though virtually all have been original. (In fact, I have gone on to write full length articles from some of the thoughts you chaps have extracted from me. :D) But I would be sorry to think people never took the trouble to read any long posts.

My longest, as far as I know, was in response to Mle's question about whether God created evil. http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=1868187#post1868187. Some questions are too important to answer glibly in a few sentences...

But I think we do well, as a general rule, to aim for shorts posts. We should use words sparingly and to try and make each sentence say something meaningful. And this applies as much to those who are inclined to make short posts as to those who are tempted to write long ones. Frankly, many of the short posts I read, though they take little effort, are devoid of content and add nothing to the discussion into which they are inserted, except to bury some of the better, more thoughtful contributions which deserve to be read.

There. That wasn't too long, was it? ;)
Yup, I agree. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristianRocks

Christ lives in me and I in Him.
Feb 4, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta
Visit site
✟8,368.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
sometimes, all that needs to be said is said in a couple of words. sometimes, saying, "yup, i agree" is meant less to carry on a convo than it is to give encouragement to somebody, that they are not the only ones to feel a certain way, or that the first person basically said it all already, and just want to state their position. stuff like that.

Yup, I agree, hehe. ;)

I would agree that a balance is always nice. Long posts can be inconsiderate to the person reading it, while short posts can leave you wanting.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.