✟1,358,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 10:38-42 ESV

“Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, ‘Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.’ But the Lord answered her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.’”

The message here is not teaching against serving, but it is teaching priorities. Now, do we have to work? Yes! Even if we don’t work for pay, we have daily chores to do, and we need to spend time with other people. So, what was the issue here? They had the Lord in their home, and Mary chose to sit at his feet and to listen to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with serving, and that is all she could focus on, and so she totally missed that Mary had chosen the better thing, at that moment.

And I say, “At that moment,” because the women could not just sit at Jesus’ feet all day and night. They had to get rest, and they had work they had to do. But there is a time for this and a time for that, and we need to make time spent with Jesus, sitting at his feet, and listening to his teaching, top priority. And if you are a stay-at-home mother of young children, you have to plan your times with the Lord around your scheduled time with your children. Or if you have a paying job, you have to plan time with the Lord around your work schedule. But Jesus must never get neglected!

We should never give Jesus Christ just a passing “Hi,” or a passing glance. We should never cheat on our times with the Lord in order to spend time with things which are less critical. Now, the laundry still has to be done, and we have to eat at some point, and so there are things which need to happen, but if we have to choose between eating and spending time with the Lord because we only have one slot of free time, then we should choose the Lord over food. Because it is critical that we have time with the Lord each day, drinking in his word, and learning from him.

And time with the Lord should be time spent with him in prayer and in seeking his face in the studying of the Scriptures. Devotions written by other people should never replace time spent in the pure word of the Lord. And we should not just spend 5 or 10 minutes with the Lord, but we should give him quality time, even if it means skipping a meal or losing one hour of sleep. And then we shouldn’t just walk away and forget what we learned, but we should be in the practice of applying to our lives what we learn from Him.

Now, time spent with the Lord, too, is not to be confined to just a specific hour of each day, but we should have open communication between us and the Lord all day and night to where we can talk with the Lord and he can talk with us any time of day and night, regardless of what else we are doing. So we don’t have a “quiet time” and then that’s it until the next “quiet time.” We should be listening for our Lord throughout the day while we are working and doing our chores and/or taking care of children, etc.

And we should be responding to the Lord in obedience throughout the day and night, too. For he might get you up in the night when it is quiet and free from distractions in order to speak to you, or in order to have you pray, or in order to write something, perhaps to another Christian to encourage that person in his or her walk of faith. Now, if you are female, and you are married, I say you shouldn’t have private communications with other men unless they are your family, and the same applies for married men, that they should not be having private conversations with other females.

But back to the point I was making, our times with our Lord should be top priority in our lives. And they should be important enough to us to make sacrifices necessary in order to spend quality and quantity time with the Lord. And our time with the Lord is not to be limited to just one hour a day, but we should have open communication between us and the Lord to where he can speak to us anytime of day or night, regardless of what else we are doing. And these times with the Lord are to be precious to us and not seen as a drudgery. So, we are to be like Mary in her desire to hear from Jesus.

Full Release

An Original Work / April 15, 2012

Walking daily with my Savior
brings me joy.
Loving Father; precious Jesus;
He’s my Savior and my Lord.
Gently leads me; follow Him.
I’ve invited Him within.
Now abiding in His presence,
oh, what peace.
From my self-life
He has brought me,