• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

How would I go about quitting watching TV?

Discussion in 'Singles (Only*)' started by The Soul Search, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Yes

2. No

3. I don't own a TV.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Soul Search

The Soul Search New Member

+15
    United States
    Baptist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    I find that I would like to start the next decade of my life off right by quitting watching TV. Anyway what is your best advice to quit watching TV?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jord Simcha

Jord Simcha Active Member

+455
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Single
    Canceling your cable subscription.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. .Mikha'el.

.Mikha'el. Mod Queue Spam Troll Banner Extraordinaire! Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+3,259
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    So why exactly do you want to give up television?

4. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+41,201
    Christian
    Quitting TV won't work because you can access a lot of what is on TV on the internet which is how you got to post here so if you cannot resist accessing tv programming online then why trade a big screen for a smaller one?

5. The Soul Search

+15
    United States
    Baptist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    I find that I watch it way to much and would like to replace it with something better. I use the internet as a tool not as a entertainment device.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,163
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Move the remote control to an inconvenient place. That way, when you sit down, it's not as easy for you to just turn it on.

7. Sophrosyne

+41,201
    Christian
    If you can't turn off the tv and stay off the internet then you won't stop because you have no willpower. The only alternative is to get a job that works you so many hours you are too tired to watch tv when you get home.

8. The Soul Search

+15
    United States
    Baptist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    How do you know if I have willpower because you don't know me. I asked for advice not a personal attack. Thank You.

9. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) a social experiment!

+5,812
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    You didn't say the TV was causing you to sin. Nevertheless, the word Jesus gave in Matthew 5:30 is still great advice that I think would be applicable to your situation. What do you think? Ditch the television altogether or no?

10. Lost4words

Lost4words Jesus I Trust In You Supporter

+6,565
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Not watched TV for over 5 years now. Dont miss it at all..

Just disconnect the Cable etc. Unsubscribe. Dont look back!

God bless you

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Sophrosyne

+41,201
    Christian
    Not a personal attack.... but an obvious observation. If you had the willpower to stop watching TV you would just decide not to and stop instead of coming online and asking strangers about it.

12. Sophrosyne

+41,201
    Christian
    But this is CF TV :D

13. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+4,162
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    I never watched much tv . Tended to stay on PBS when I did . I left the tv with the kids when I moved and haven’t had one since 2009. Don’t miss it much but I did like watching movies at my friends houses .

14. Rebecca4Christ

Rebecca4Christ Servant Supporter

+222
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    I got rid of cable probably 10 years ago. One of the best choices I ever made.I could not give you one name that's new in the entertainment industry within that time period,I just couldn't care less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Sophrosyne

+41,201
    Christian
    I haven't had cable for about 20 years now and am not missing the $80 plus bills after about 5-6 years you have seen 90% of the stuff worth watching and they got to where more and more channels were doing the 30 minute commercials instead of programming. I'm now using an antenna and buy movies with that $80 I would have spent and don't have to watch informercials because nothing is on.

16. Olmhinlu

Olmhinlu Well-Known Member

+1,276
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    You don't need to own a television, and there wouldn't really be a reason to if you intend to give it up (which is entirely doable).

PS don't listen to naysayers asking "duh why'd you wanna do that?" I think it's a great goal and that it'll improve your life.

17. CivilNotAnimal

CivilNotAnimal New Member

+2
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I don't own a television and thus don't watch it. I use the internet for entertainment instead.

Now the internet is a bit tricky with respect to entertainment. It feels a lot less moderated than television. You have more freedom with the internet, but some parts of the internet is full of criminals promoting sin.

If you are trying to quit television, then an alternative would help. The internet can be a decent alternative, I guess. I myself am trying to spend less time on nonChristian sections of the internet.

18. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+3,166
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Fill the time with something else you enjoy doing that is wholesome and rewarding. Study His word .... personally I enjoy that immensely ... enjoy the closeness with Him through His word.

I watch some TV in the evenings, usually fall asleep on the couch LOL ... but am very selective of what I watch .... so much GARBAGE on it anymore.

19. Miles

Miles Well-Known Member

+2,982
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I'd consider how much time you spend watching TV, and what else you could be doing instead. If you have subscription services, think about what you could do with the money you save.

20. sampa

sampa Veteran

+253
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Media fast. if you're interested let me know. I've done it for 7 days and it's very difficult. But can be a good time of drawing near to the Lord. as far as permanently not watching TV I'm not sure that that would work but it's a start.