Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I recently got prayer beads. It has thirty three beads. It has a cross with the images of Jesus, the Virgin Mary, St. Nicholas and I forgot the other one.

Do I make the sign of the cross? Then say the trisagion prayers? Then say the Jesus prayer 33 times then end with the sign of the cross?

I am battling an impurity/sins of the flesh addiction (I AM RECEIVING HELP) and need to be prayerful when I am lonely, stressed, alone etc so I do not fall into temptation.

Keep in mind, I am just a friendly Roman Catholic that greatly admires Eastern Orthodoxy.

God Bless

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can your priest give you advice on this? We can tell you some ways it's commonly done (and as you know, yes, the 33 beads are usually used for the Jesus prayer), but if possible it's best to get guidance from your priest.

ETA you did outline what I might typically do outside of my prayer rule, with some minor variations. But there is more than just the actual process. Particularly since you are struggling, it's better to get pastoral help and guidance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Riley - I think that as an Oblate you should be asking at the Monastery to which you are attached for guidance about this.

I'm not trying to put a damper on your desire to use prayer as a focus to stop falling into this particular addiction - that is indeed praiseworthy. I just feel that you should be getting consistent advice as to the way forward.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Keep in mind, I am just a friendly Roman Catholic that greatly admires Eastern Orthodoxy.

So careful :)
Our brethren rarely bite and when they do those getting bitten usually had it coming.
:sorry:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So careful :)
Our brethren rarely bite and when they do those getting bitten usually had it coming.
:sorry:
SO great to see you, Stabat Mater! You've been in my prayers! I hope you are doing well. God be with you, my brother!

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
SO great to see you, Stabat Mater! You've been in my prayers! I hope you are doing well. God be with you, my brother!

Thank you for your sentiment it's appreciated.
I'm not doing to good unfortunately.
I've suffered from an allergic reaction to my cancer treatment which has postponed my treatment plan and caused me a great amount of discomfort along the line.

Im in between treatments now which leaves me a bit higher on energy which given the circumstances I'm happy for.

Thanks again for prayers and concerns.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your sentiment it's appreciated.
I'm not doing to good unfortunately.
I've suffered from an allergic reaction to my cancer treatment which has postponed my treatment plan and caused me a great amount of discomfort along the line.

Im in between treatments now which leaves me a bit higher on energy which given the circumstances I'm happy for.

Thanks again for prayers and concerns.

God bless you.

I'm so sorry to hear of the difficulties, but I am glad you have a bit more energy - I understand how precious that becomes. God be with you. You remain in my prayers. It's so very good to have you back with us. :)

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I'm so sorry to hear of the difficulties, but I am glad you have a bit more energy - I understand how precious that becomes. God be with you. You remain in my prayers. It's so very good to have you back with us. :)

Bless you sweetheart.
How r you holding up?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bless you sweetheart.
How r you holding up?
I'm good, thanks. Through with radiation, so I'm getting some energy back - at least I'm telling myself that I am and acting like I have. ;)

I think we are working on vitamin D right now - my doctor actually called me late last night to let me know, because she just got my labs back and didn't want to wait for Monday. I can handle that as a treatment, I think. :)

Thanks for asking. I will keep you in prayer!

Upvote 0